AAK

• Backroom

Team: Bolton Wanderers.
Based in: Horwich.
Stadium: Freezing.
Nickname: Pig's feet.
Manager: Michael Parkinson.
Fans: Mental
Famous fans: Stone Cold Steve Austin and those midgets off Phoenix Nights.

So, fresh off a sound beating by the Blades, we enter the freezing cold home of Horwich Wanderers; a team who claim Utd and Rovers among their closest rivals, while neither of those teams could give a toss. Not only is the ground shaped like a begging bowl suspended from giant chopsticks, they are genuinely so skint that fans are charged £30 to sit and freeze. At least, that's the excuse they give for the astonishing silence in a ground that is more lively when there's no footy on, thanks to the attached Middlebrook Retail Park.

Founded in 1874 as Christ Church FC, the decision was made to quickly move the club from New Zealand to the arsehole between the two cheeks of Lancashire and Manchester. A move that would go on to disappoint Bolton-based football fans for 144 years, knowing that better, more handsome, more successful, teams surrounded them.

They, like us, were founder members of the Football League in 1888 and, unlike us, have the dubious honour of spending more years in the top flight without winning it than any other club. Bolton HAVE, however, won three FA Cups (but not 3-in-a-row like us), and four in total (we have six, so nya nya nya)!

1935-1964 saw an uninterrupted stay in the top flight – regarded by fans as a golden era – spearheaded in the 1950s by the legendary Nat Lofthouse.

The years of the Second World War saw most of the Wanderers' playing staff see action on the front, a rare occurrence within elite football, as top sportsmen were generally assigned to physical training assignments, away from enemy fire. However, 15 Bolton professionals, led by their captain Harry Goslin, volunteered for active service in 1939, and were enlisted in the 53rd Bolton Artillery regiment.

By the end of the war, 32 of the 35 pre-war professionals saw action in the British forces. The sole fatality was Goslin, who had by then risen to the rank of Lieutenant and was killed by shrapnel on the Italian front shortly before Christmas 1943. 53rd Bolton Artillery took part in the Battle of Dunkirk and also served in the campaigns of Egypt, Iraq and Italy.

Remarkably, a number of these soldiers managed to carry on playing the game in these theatres of war, forming a 'British X1' to take on various scratch teams assembled by, among others, King Farouk of Egypt in Cairo and Polish forces in Baghdad.

The club spent a season in the Fourth Division in 1987-88 before regaining top-flight status in 1995 (wow that was quick!) and qualifying for the UEFA Cup twice, hoofing their way to the last 32 in 2005–06 and the last 16 in 2007–08.

The club has had plenty of ups and downs lately, from future England gaffers to pingpong and donut PE teachers, from an absolute Gentleman in Eddie Davies to batshit consortiums.

For all the mockery they get from us, there can be no doubt that they are a club comparable to ourselves on a smaller scale...

And forever in our shadow may they remain!

In common:
Adam Armstrong, Matt Jansen, Kevin Davies, Sam Allardyce, that bastard Coyle, and others I'm too lazy to look up.

Head 2 Head:
Rovers 62
Draw 38
Bolton 70

I coaxed a Bolton fan with his head screwed on  from his cave (he's going out with a fellow Rover, so not yet a lost cause) and asked a few Qs:

1. How have your team fared so far this season? Have you a particular style of play and is it working?

We have fared reasonably well so far. I was pleasantly surprised by our start (10 points from first 4) but we have stuttered through September. The win against Derby was a big confidence boost and an important win given a tough week of fixtures (we are away at Stoke before we play you). Whilst September has been disappointing after the start, I would definitely have taken 15 points from the first 10 games. It was the start of December before we had that many last time around so we are definitely better placed this season.

Our style tends to be to play long balls out from the back towards Josh Magennis and hope to win second balls, we like to sit in deep and hit on the break where possible, it seems to be working to an extent, particularly if we score first, however we tend to struggle when we concede first. I saw a statistic recently which was something like 8 of our last 10 wins have been 1-0 and I think the other 2 were only by 1 goal.

2. Are events behind the scenes affecting how you view the club, in light of being an Eddie Davies Will away from administration?

Not particularly but it can't have been good for any of the players, management or non-football staff to have the possible burden of administration hanging over them. I was certainly saddened to read about this a few weeks ago and it seemed such a shame after such a positive start that administration appeared to be a genuine possibility. We seem to have got through that particular crisis for now though and attention can return to football.

3. Who are your most dangerous players? Which are your weak spots?

The wide men, obviously everyone has heard of Sammy Ameobi but he is injured at the moment. Craig Noone has come into the team this season and works very hard but sometimes the end product lets him down. He scored the winner against Derby and has set up a few goals earlier in the season. Erhun Oztumer has come in from Walsall and has impressed in spells and was known to score wonder goals during his time in the Midlands. Hopefully he can produce one on Saturday evening!

Josh Magennis has added a physical threat to our front line which was sorely missing in the second half of last season after we sold Gary Madine to Cardiff. 

One of our better players, albeit not necessarily dangerous, has been Pawel Olkowski who plays at right back. Based on his early performances I would say he could be the best right back in the division, certainly the best I have watched this season.

In terms of weak spots, left back has been a bit of a problem area this season. Our first choice left back last year was on loan from Everton and subsequently went on loan to Wigan. We have replaced him with Jonathan Grounds who has been a bit of a slow starter but seems to be finding his feet now and looking a bit more comfortable.

4. Anyone you fear in the Rovers side?

I don't think so. Tony Mowbray appears to have been given significant backing in the transfer window by the Venky's and seems to be signing younger players with a point to prove and this seems to have worked very well for him over the last 12 months or so. Bradley Dack seems key to everything good that you do so he is obviously a big threat and Adam Armstrong is bound to return and score after struggling here in the early part of last season. One of my bigger concerns would be giving away silly free kicks around the penalty area given Charlie Mulgrew's multiple goals over recent seasons, if he makes it that is. One player at Blackburn I have always rated is Derrick Williams but he doesn't seem to be playing as much as I would have expected this season.

5. How is the imposter (Lowe) getting on?

Jason Lowe has really impressed me so far and had probably his best game in a white shirt against Derby, cutting out multiple attacks and preventing the likes of Mason Mount from getting too many chances to thread balls through the middle. It's surprising how it didn't work out for him at Birmingham after leaving Rovers but so far he has certainly improved our midfield and offers vital cover for the back four to allow the more creative players the freedom to express themselves.

6. Any unusual or obscure trivia about your club?

We are one of only 3 (I think) that Sergio Aguero hasn't scored against in the Premier League for Manchester City. In fact, his misfortune with Bolton extends further back to 2008 whilst he was at Atletico Madrid and got sent off at the Reebok (as it was then) in the uefa cup, those were the days...

7. Finally, what do you reckon the score will be?
I would think it will be a fairly tight game as they have tended to be over the years. I expect both teams to score with Bolton to nick it late on to win 2-1.

Thanks to Andrew for some genuine insight into the mind of a Bolton fan (lol, Jason Lowe actually playing football).

I reckon 1-1 tbh, certainly after the Sheff Utd Shitshow. Nevertheless, COYB!!

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 6

• J*B pinned this topic

Need to respond quickly after tonight's performance especially with 3 very tough games after this.

Raya

Travis          Rodwell              Mulgrew         Williams

Evans                   Reed

Rothwell                     Dack                     Palmer

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Bell, Downing, Smallwood, Bennett, Armstrong, Brereton

I rate Lenihan a lot but recently he has been of the boil and we need to tighten up at the back. Bennett is not a full back, if he is going to start for us then is has to be in central midfield. Smallwood was poor tonight and I'd rather see Reed play in his natural position. As for Armstrong he just doesn't look up to it at this level and from the small amount I have seen of Palmer and Rothwell they would both offer us more. Both are creative players and we need more creativity in the final third.

• Moderation Lead

We badly need a response to tonight’s poor showing on Saturday. I’m not going and I’ve been something of a bad luck charm with only one win from seven visits! 

COYB!

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Bolton have started better than expected but are a team of frees cobbled together. Need to go and play our way there. Could do with a win as tonights loss makes recent dropped points look more costly.

Raya

Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Smallwood Evans

Palmer Dack Rothwell

Graham

That's just more of the same. The team looks stale, is gradually being found out at this level and needs a shake-up. Edit, just seen Rothwell but midfield and defence has too many 3rd division plodders

Edited by jim mk2

• Backroom

A huge improvement needed. Bolton had an inexplicably good start but they aren't anything to worry about. We really need to make a statement here and go for them, as they are definitely beatable.

That said, I expect another defensive performance and to concede at least one goal. 1-1. Knowing us Lowe will score theirs.

• Moderation Lead

Lowe is bound to score a banger and have a blinder. Think Palmer needs to come back into the side and Rothwell needs to stay in it instead of looking like a boss from the bench then not starting the next match...

• Backroom
31 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Lowe is bound to score a banger and have a blinder. Think Palmer needs to come back into the side and Rothwell needs to stay in it instead of looking like a boss from the bench then not starting the next match...

Worryingly Palmer hasn't looked very effective yet either, but I agree he probably should come back into the team. We need some pace in the team if we're going to play so defensively, especially without Nyambe bombing down the wing from right back. We moved at a glacial pace going forward against Sheff Utd and that meant they knew they could throw men forward as we were never going to catch them out on the counter. They overloaded the final third as a result and it was a matter of time until we cracked under the pressure. I don't expect Bolton to threaten us in the same way, but if both teams are defensive and slow to move it could become a very turgid affair. 

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

Worryingly Palmer hasn't looked very effective yet either, but I agree he probably should come back into the team. We need some pace in the team if we're going to play so defensively, especially without Nyambe bombing down the wing from right back. We moved at a glacial pace going forward against Sheff Utd and that meant they knew they could throw men forward as we were never going to catch them out on the counter. They overloaded the final third as a result and it was a matter of time until we cracked under the pressure. I don't expect Bolton to threaten us in the same way, but if both teams are defensive and slow to move it could become a very turgid affair. 

Palmer does have 3 goals to be fair, hes not done enough wrong to be below Armstrong I would suggest.

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

If it is not a very turgid affair , I will be astounded !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Bolton have started better than expected but are a team of frees cobbled together. Need to go and play our way there. Could do with a win as tonights loss makes recent dropped points look more costly.

Raya

Smallwood Evans

Palmer Dack Rothwell

Graham

You can't want Smallwood to start after tonight surely?

• Backroom
1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Palmer does have 3 goals to be fair, hes not done enough wrong to be below Armstrong I would suggest.

Probably not, but maybe Mowbray's thinking is that Armstrong is our player whilst Palmer isn't and most likely never will be. In that sense you can make an argument for Armstrong being ahead in the pecking order. That said, it's all about getting back on track at this point and we need our strongest team out there, whether it's loans or permanent signings. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Replace him for Reed. Although I dont think Smallwood was notably worse than any of our other midfielders, Reed included.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Replace him for Reed. Although I dont think Smallwood was notably worse than any of our other midfielders, Reed included.

Agree that all the midfield were poor and i do think Smallwood has been better since the international break but overall Evans has been better this season.I think we need a bit of quality in there, id give Rothwell a start  or maybe even Rodwell. 

The reason we play so many long balls is because Smallwood or Evans just don't have the quality to make thing's happen.

Im trying not to be knee jerk but that was beyond woeful tonight.I really want to know Mowbray's reasoning for not starting Mulgrew.

• Like 1

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Raya

Reed  Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Bennett Evans Rothwell

Dack  

Armstrong   Brereton

subs:- Luetwiler Rodwell Bell Graham Smallwood Palmer Conway

Same personnel, amended formation. We need to emphasise attack, so I would allow Bennett and Rothwell to roam forward.

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Raya

Reed Evans

Armstrong      Dack        Rothwell  

Brereton

subs:- Luetwiler Rodwell Bell Graham Smallwood Palmer Conway

Brereton convinced you with his 35 minutes, of which he spent half of it failing to control simple passes into him, and half of which he spent tieing his laces, that he deserves a go over a player who was not involved tonight but who has been superb all season? 

Armstrong couldnt be arsed tonight but he hasnt run over your cat unlike poor Kasey.

• Like 1

I'm travelling from Switzerland for this one. Does anyone know of any free minibus/coach places available, setting off from the Great Harwood, Rishton or Accrington area as an alternative to the official away travel? Normally I would travel to away games by train so that I can have a few beers, but that's not an option now due to the bus replacement fiasco. Thanks in advance for any info...