BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Leeds, Ewood, 12.00 KO, 20th October

Leeds are one team whose fans could claim to have had a wilder ride than us in recent times. They flirted with greatness in the late 90s and early noughties, getting to both a UEFA cup and Champions league semi final. Since then it has been one well publicised mess after another. Have they finally gotten things right this season? Early signs last season were promising too, before they fell away. The main reason their fans would have for genuine optimism this season is the appointment of the legendary coach Marco Bielsa. This guy has literally managed and had success around the world and it looks a real coup on Leeds behalf appointing him. As we know all too well though, the championship is a tough, tough battle to get out of. Can we be the ones to officially end the honeymoon for Marco? Recent results seem to suggest that their lightening start to the season has lost some of its buzz. Their last 6 league results have been; DWLDWD

So, who has played for both teams? Here is Bigg Doggs mixed bag 11 , in our current formation for your viewing pleasure 

Robinson

Grayson Matteo Kilgallon Warnock

Batty Douglas

Wilcox El-Hadji Diouf Sellars

Fowler 

Bench- Luke Varney 

Have I forgotten anyone? 

When I think of Leeds United, this is the goal that always comes to mind. To me it epitomizes the excitement of that time period in the Premier league. Boom , have it. 

So after Tonys tinkering last game out, all bets are off with guessing the starting 11. Most of us welcomed the changes and whilst not a vintage performance, we got the desired result. We are up against a very different animal this game. Mistakes will be punished and missed chances will come back to bite us. My 11 would be 

Raya

Bennett  Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Rodwell  Evans

Rothwell   Dack    Palmer

Graham

Prediction 2-1 Rovers

They are apparently bringing 8,000 fans, which is quite incredible. Should be a great atmosphere. 

Arte et labore 

• Like 8

• K-Hod pinned this topic
18 hours ago, meadows said:

Kevin Hird. Marshall 

Kevin Hird & Marshall Burke. For the oldies. 

15 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

Duncan McKenzie?

16 minutes ago, renrag said:

Albert Nightingale for the older oldies. Couldn’t have played without elbows

Embarrassingly I have never heard of any of them. Off to Google I go 

As predicted Sky Sports are now promoting this game as being a live match on their channel. The game was never selected as such and yet because it falls outside the window of 2:45pm to 5:15pm they are allowed to stream it to Sky Sports subscribers. 

Something very wrong with all this.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

As predicted Sky Sports are now promoting this game as being a live match on their channel. The game was never selected as such and yet because it falls outside the window of 2:45pm to 5:15pm they are allowed to stream it to Sky Sports subscribers. 

Something very wrong with all this.

Not according to this

https://www.skysports.com/watch/football-on-sky

Im confused. 

Every single non 3pm game has been on the red button so far this season.

Sky are in their rights to show it, it will be on - bet they can’t believe their luck that they still get to show the one Leeds game in about 6 weeks they didn’t actually choose to broadcast!

It’s all very disingenuous, if you read the Sky and paper press releases, they make no mention of ALL non 3pm games being on, just midweek:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/12040/11478037/every-midweek-sky-bet-championship-match-live-on-the-red-button-with-sky-sports

However, the EFL statement from when the new TV deal was signed does talk about all matches outside the 3pm blackout being shown.

https://www.efl.com/news/2017/september/efl-agree-new-five-season-broadcasting-deal-with-sky-sports/

So Rovers must have known about it, but were happy to gamble that Leeds and PNE would bring 7,000 fans regardless.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

The kick off time has scuppered me for this one now unfortunately, my lad's team has been invited to a "football festival" that morning, (he usually plays Sundays) which will finish at around 12ish. I'm about an hour away so had it been 3pm would have been fine.

Thank god for the red button eh :rolleyes:

I suspect there could well be hundreds, particularly those who live a fair distance away, who will make the decision to not bother for this one. A 3pm kick off gives people plenty of time to travel in on the bus/train/car, meet their mates for a pint etc. A noon start will see people having to set off after breakfast, relying on appalling public transport, not much time to have a drink etc.

Of course Rovers will play the victims in this, moan about home crowds and claim there's nothing they can do about the kick off, which I simply don't believe. Meanwhile I think a lot of people will avoid the hassle and watch it on TV instead.

On 10/10/2018 at 06:24, Bigdoggsteel said:

You're hard 

You were in The Lowfield Stand at Elland Road when Scott Sellars scored a brace to make it 2-2, were you? No, thought not, had you been and sat on your hands for over an hour, you may appreciate my 'love' for Leeds.

Edited by darrenrover

2 hours ago, Threepenny Bit Foot said:

Oh dear me. Most expensive full back ever (at the time) and the other an under-rated magician snatched by Sir Howard for our majestic promo push. Come on, keep up!

Burke, Robinson and Hird, all also played for 'that lot' too interestingly!