BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Leeds, Ewood, 12.00 KO, 20th October

On 10/10/2018 at 17:23, Bigdoggsteel said:

Embarrassingly I have never heard of any of them. Off to Google I go 

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Bit before my time 

Surely you have some Rovers history books. Bob Crompton, Syd Puddefoot, Harry Healless, Ted Harper and Eddie Latheron were well before my time but I am well aware of them and their contribution to the club.:rover:

Incidentally I did see Albert Nightingale play. Around 1952. His modern day equivalent is Bradley Dack. Well, not exactly. Let's say Roy Wegerley. Remember him?

They will surely try the aerial route and exploit our central defence. Leeds were really dangerous in the second half against Brentford and finally scored via a headed cross.

Other than that I thought they were surprisingly limited upfront.

So, I'd expect at least one clanger back there, meaning we have to score.

Prediction---we score first and end up with a draw.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, 47er said:

They will surely try the aerial route and exploit our central defence. Leeds were really dangerous in the second half against Brentford and finally scored via a headed cross.

Other than that I thought they were surprisingly limited upfront.

So, I'd expect at least one clanger back there, meaning we have to score.

Prediction---we score first and end up with a draw.

Yeah, I thought that and then the commentator brought up the fact their main striker Kemar Roofe was injured. (Not a big lad at all, as it goes).  He'll no doubt be back to face us....

We were linked with Roofe last season when he was struggling. He's certainly quick and a good footballer. According to all the reports he's back fit after a month out. So is Hernandez who is also a good player. Bloody International breaks. We'd have done them 4-0 if we'd played them Saturday gone. Fact.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/it-s-been-a-long-four-weeks-kemar-roofe-ready-for-immense-leeds-united-away-day-1-9395954

It's going to be like a home game for them apparently, even though they are bringing less than 1% of the population of their city.  Part-timers.

21 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Since it's Leeds it must be on TV.

Bankrolled back to the prem by sky.

I can’t believe how long It’s taking them to get back there. 

It isn’t a level playing field anymore. ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, McClarky said:

Scott Sellars, now there was a player.  Promised a lot at Leeds but faded out and moved to Ewood in 86.  Fantastic left foot, one of the best I’ve seen.  Would get into my all time (since 1979) Rovers XI.

Loved him as a kid, was one of my first favourite players.

He would probably be in mine too if Duff never came through.

• Moderation Lead
6 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

It seems that Rovers don’t need to bother to turn up as Leeds fans are thinking it’s a straightforward 3 points and a hammering score line 

They're currently operating at maximum arrogance, are Leeds fans. They're underestimating us as a newly-promoted team, whilst ignoring the league table. Fine by me, let them do that and we'll carry on, under the radar, doing our own thing.

The perfect storm in terms of potentially upsetting dirty Leeds. To paraphrase Kevin Keegan 'I would LOVE IT, if we beat them!'.

• Like 1

Just point out to them this huge club with the most passionate support in the universe was getting 21k and under not long ago and bringing 3.5k to Ewood despite their 700k population in a one club city and catchment area that stretches up to Harrogate and beyond.

Tends to rile them a bit but we've sent their hordes home miserable plenty times down the years so i'm not sure why their arrogance or thinking a massive following guarantees a win. Usually works the opposite way round for Rovers !

Pressure is all on them to deliver.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

I wonder if Mogga will roughly stick with the team that started against Bolton?

I'm guessing Evans and/or Smallwood will return. 

With the continued absence of Nyambe will Mogga go 3 at the back with Bennett as a wing-back rather than a full-back? 

Best guess presuming everyone is fit:

Raya

Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Rodders Evans

Reed         Dack            Rothwell

Graham

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

It seems that Rovers don’t need to bother to turn up as Leeds fans are thinking it’s a straightforward 3 points and a hammering score line 

They've only won two out of their last seven in the league, both wins coming against teams in the bottom 3.

As with every game in this league, absolutely nothing at all to fear. 

• Like 4

Another tough one this one.  Not sure what the situation is with Pontus Jansson.  He has been in the headlines for his behavior, and I am not sure if that will result in a suspension or not.  For our sake I hope so.  He is a beast of a defender and the player I rate the most within the Leeds squad.  I spoke with a HUGE Leeds United fan in the build up to the match.... so knows her stuff! 

• Like 2

Not an easy game to watch with 8k squeezed in the Darwen End. God knows what they will do if we win.

I'm going back a long time but find it hard to forget a game v Leeds when Ewood was being rebuilt. Both home and away fans in the Darwen End was never a good decision and Leeds were told to leave first with Rovers fans told to remain. As Leeds fans walked by us they literally spat in our faces. Disgusting idiots. 

Anyone would think with the way they're going on it's the first time we've been lucky enough to play them or they've pummeled us on a regular basis.

We've played them 10 times in the league since relegation and as far as i can recall only lost to them three times, all by narrow margins, and 2 of those were under the 'stewardship' of Coyle. 

Nor is them bringing 7000+ a new thing or a game-changer. It hasn't done them any favours in the past.

• Like 3

Not read every post in detai; apologies if I’ve missed any of the below:

- Players...don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention our promotion winner Antonsson and has Jason Wilcox has a mention?

- Dirty Leeds...Elland Road is s shocking ground and horrible place fo go; their fans aren’t the nicest (home and away)

-  Sir Matt Busby Rememberance...their orchestrated ‘protest’ in the minute science at Ewood including Don Revie RIP banners and the Munich song is etched in my memory. Remember: an electric atmosphere and huge swathes of Ewood chanting, “Leeds scum”; Strachan & McAllister gesticulating to their fans to shut up and thanking to the BBE to applaud our supporters.

• Like 2

Speaking in his press conference, the boss says: “Charlie Mulgrew had a few days off but trained today; hopefully he’ll train tomorrow too and will be fine for the weekend.” #Rovers 

More on injuries: “Ryan Nyambe could join in with training tomorrow, but the match might be too soon. Jacob Davenport is ready to go but needs a game, so has gone to Brighton with the Under-23s.” #Rovers

On #Rovers v Leeds, the boss says: “We’ve got three tough games coming up. Let’s make it a really good game on the pitch and a really vociferous atmosphere off it this weekend. We’re in a tough league and the lads are giving their all to win matches.”

Tony adds: “I’ve got a burning desire in my belly because I can feel the positivity at the club. The players want to learn and listen, and I feel we can get our teeth into this job and move in the right direction. We have a real opportunity here.” ? #Rovers

The boss finishes by saying:  “I want to manage in the Premier League again, and I’d like the people of Blackburn to have a team in the Premier League again. I’d like to see the scenes from the Oxford game every single week.” #Rovers

All from Mowbray's press conference. 

• Like 2