BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Leeds, Ewood, 12.00 KO, 20th October

I’d take that with a pinch of salt. If TV want it on, it’s on.

We’ve been told for the past few years that ‘the police’ and other ‘safety’ groups insist that any game which will have a full Darwen End of away fans MUST kick off at 12pm due to public order. So when we played Man Utd in the cup, chosen to be on BT, whose fans have repeatedly wrecked pubs and the away end itself over the years, the authorities seemingly had no ‘public order issues’ and it kicked off at ...4.15pm

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CP Company Lad said:

Remember those days mate. Wilkos first season in charge. Mr Garner put you ahead very early before Chapman levelled things up before Strachan scored a screamer in the top corner in the DE and the place exploded. Great days. A very young David May missed an injury time penalty and was in tears. Strachan had his arm around him walking off. Perfect scenario for me is Leeds up as champions and Rovers runners up. Take it easy ?

When teams get pens the crowd celebrate and some players clench fists of more like high five each other these days but just around then when Rovers got a pen the place fell silent and players slunk away and daren't look at each other' We'd missed god knows how many in a row and gone around the team different taker every time it seemed and it fell to young rookie David May. Think most of the credit for that miss from Leeds perspective goes to a certain Mr Vincent Jones who had a quick word with a sheepish looking May as he showed for the ball If I remember right ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

When teams get pens the crowd celebrate and some players clench fists of more like high five each other these days but just around then when Rovers got a pen the place fell silent and players slunk away and daren't look at each other' We'd missed god knows how many in a row and gone around the team different taker every time it seemed and it fell to young rookie David May. Think most of the credit for that miss from Leeds perspective goes to a certain Mr Vincent Jones who had a quick word with a sheepish looking May as he showed for the ball If I remember right ?

You know what I think that is correct about Vincent. I have the game on video tape at home and will stick in on later (yes still have a VHS recorder to hand). It was a Blackburn commentator thinking back. On another note can you remember a game at Ewood between us being postponed the morning of the game or are my 50 years of age taking its toll ?? I can remember being in Blackburn with about 15/20 other Leeds lads and we ended up having a drink with a gang of your lot in a pub in am almost certain was called the Theatre or Theatre Bar in the town ctr ?? A lot of booze and pills were consumed in those days and it's hazy but I'm sure I'm right.

2 minutes ago, CP Company Lad said:

You know what I think that is correct about Vincent. I have the game on video tape at home and will stick in on later (yes still have a VHS recorder to hand). It was a Blackburn commentator thinking back. On another note can you remember a game at Ewood between us being postponed the morning of the game or are my 50 years of age taking its toll ?? I can remember being in Blackburn with about 15/20 other Leeds lads and we ended up having a drink with a gang of your lot in a pub in am almost certain was called the Theatre or Theatre Bar in the town ctr ?? A lot of booze and pills were consumed in those days and it's hazy but I'm sure I'm right.

I remember hearing a few tales of a rampage by Leeds some time back in the 80's don't know if that was it but there was a tale of them ruining some local Saturday morning football matches on playing fields not too far from Ewood ?

Another time a gang of them attacked I think it was the Jubilee pub in town centre looking for Blackburn lads who weren't even in there, think that might have been a postponed game or something or Leeds were somewhere else locally and just showed up there. That would've been late 90's probably though, mate of mine a student then was in there playing pool with his pals when they burst in. Think he hid under the table, scared him for life that did he wasn't the laddish type ?

17 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

You have one on November 10th away at West Brom.

Yes correct. I should of added large allocation games mainly in South Yorkshire or over your side of the hill. Another ridiculous ko time. 19 out of 46 on sky last season and if we stay at the business end all season it could well be late 20s come the season end yet we get the same cut as Rotherham who may be on 3 or 4 times ?? Can't be right. Yeah we command big audience figures so course sky won't us on but what about the lads and lasses who travel the country following us for ridiculous ko times. Trains don't run 24/7.

8 minutes ago, CP Company Lad said:

Yes correct. I should of added large allocation games mainly in South Yorkshire or over your side of the hill. Another ridiculous ko time. 19 out of 46 on sky last season and if we stay at the business end all season it could well be late 20s come the season end yet we get the same cut as Rotherham who may be on 3 or 4 times ?? Can't be right. Yeah we command big audience figures so course sky won't us on but what about the lads and lasses who travel the country following us for ridiculous ko times. Trains don't run 24/7.

But you get additional payments each time a game is broadcast, or certainly do for the home games, to 'offset' lost ticket revenue. In addition you reap the benefits of regular live broadcasts around the UK and Europe, which no doubt significantly increases tv coverage, audience and profile for sponsors, who can then be charged more by the club.

If you own a company that wants as much advertising coverage as possible the first port of call would be Leeds knowing that potentially half of their games and 10+ home fixtures are going to be beamed around the country on Sky Sports.

Comparing to Rotherham who probably only have a couple of home games a season on Sky and so more often than not their audience will be limited to the 8000-10000 who turn up.

I can completely understand Leeds fans being sick and fed up with it all but I don't buy this argument that Leeds are losing out from all this. Maybe they don't get as much as they think they should get but they do get benefits from it.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

But you get additional payments each time a game is broadcast, or certainly do for the home games, to 'offset' lost ticket revenue. In addition you reap the benefits of regular live broadcasts around the UK and Europe, which no doubt significantly increases tv coverage, audience and profile for sponsors, who can then be charged more by the club.

If you own a company that wants as much advertising coverage as possible the first port of call would be Leeds knowing that potentially half of their games and 10+ home fixtures are going to be beamed around the country on Sky Sports.

Comparing to Rotherham who probably only have a couple of home games a season on Sky and so more often than not their audience will be limited to the 8000-10000 who turn up.

I can completely understand Leeds fans being sick and fed up with it all but I don't buy this argument that Leeds are losing out from all this. Maybe they don't get as much as they think they should get but they do get benefits from it.

Fair comments mate. The club probably do do well but as you say should get more. It's just the silly ko times. Opening game this season was Stoke at home on a Sunday at 4.30. People who lives miles away are forced to drive. Overkill United.

4 hours ago, CP Company Lad said:

... ended up having a drink with a gang of your lot in a pub in am almost certain was called the Theatre or Theatre Bar in the town ctr ?? A lot of booze and pills were consumed in those days and it's hazy but I'm sure I'm right.

Going to assume you were in The Stage Door...?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

I remember hearing a few tales of a rampage by Leeds some time back in the 80's don't know if that was it but there was a tale of them ruining some local Saturday morning football matches on playing fields not too far from Ewood ?

Another time a gang of them attacked I think it was the Jubilee pub in town centre looking for Blackburn lads who weren't even in there, think that might have been a postponed game or something or Leeds were somewhere else locally and just showed up there. That would've been late 90's probably though, mate of mine a student then was in there playing pool with his pals when they burst in. Think he hid under the table, scared him for life that did he wasn't the laddish type ?

The time we had a booze with some of your lads was definitely early 90s mate and I'm convinced that the pub was the Theatre or Theatre Bar? ? Some older Blackburn piss pot must remember this boozer ?

37 minutes ago, CP Company Lad said:

You Sir are a fountain of knowledge regarding the back street watering holes of your fine proud town. I doff my cap.

You might not want to go shouting your tale from the rooftops CP - think The Stage Door has a similar reputation to The New Penny in Leeds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Weaver said:

You might not want to go shouting your tale from the rooftops CP - think The Stage Door has a similar reputation to The New Penny in Leeds.

1 hour ago, Neil Weaver said:

? it wasn't that type of establishment back then pal. Well I don't think it was ?

22 minutes ago, CP Company Lad said:

? it wasn't that type of establishment back then pal. Well I don't think it was ?

Think it was called The Wheatsheaf back around then unless that was another one in close proximity ?

There was the Cellar Bar as well.

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/leeds-united-fans-travelling-blackburn-15302106

Train strike tomorrow so Leeds fans all coming by road. Could get busy if you are coming in by car from that direction. Car Parks will be busier too. 

More traffic wardens roaming streets the new road closing around  ewood starts on Saturday to so chaos after match.all roads around the ground closed to traffic two hours

before match and an hour after end of match.

32 minutes ago, Mum63 said:

More traffic wardens roaming streets the new road closing around  ewood starts on Saturday to so chaos after match.all roads around the ground closed to traffic two hours

before match and an hour after end of match.

Hello mum63 if you live local can we park our mini bus on your drive ? Box of chocs and bottle of wine and maybe a big kiss x