BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Nicky Marker and Ben Thornley

4 hours ago, McClarky said:

Why the hate for Nicky Marker? No Messi I’ll grant you but an excellent squad man.  Always gave everything and could fill in in several positions and was a decent player as well.  Anyone could do with a couple of his like st the club.

No hatred for him at all. However, completely destroying a kid's knee in a reserve match is disgraceful, and the impact the injury has had on that person's life is incredibly sad. 

All for what? So Marker could feel hard? Not sure how anyone can defend him in this instance?

Edited by Batman.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Batman. said:

No hatred for him at all. However, completely destroying a kid's knee in a reserve match is disgraceful, and the impact the injury has had on that person's life is incredibly sad. 

All for what? So Marker could feel hard? Not sure how anyone can defend him in this instance?

You make it sound like Marker deliberately crippled the lad. What happened that night was an unfortunate consequence of football being a physical sport.

There must have been a big crowd on for a reserve game for so many people to make a judgement on the tackle.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Batman. said:

It happens in football. It's a risk every player takes. Is there video? Did Marker get sent off because of it? I've no idea.

I feel for Ben Thornley but I doubt Marker's motivation was to end his career.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
12 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

Still remain unconvinced it even ruined his career after the recuperation period. Can you even definitively prove that? Whether people feel sorry for Thornley or not that club gets no sympathy. Not like it hurt them anyway is it?

People who have forgotten more about football than me or you would ever know saying he was better than seasoned international footballers from the same period and you're saying it didn't ruin his career? Behave.

He also won a pay out as a result of the tackle from Nicky Marker....Anyway, to be fair, this isn't about Man United, it's about Ben Thornley and his career. 

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Batman. said:

Have you seen the tackle or do you have some insight into Marker’s state of mind when he made it? Marker went into loads of tackles in his career and I would bet he never went in once to injure someone or to look hard. It’s a contact sport, just.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, K-Hod said:

People who have forgotten more about football than me or you would ever know saying he was better than seasoned international footballers from the same period and you're saying it didn't ruin his career? Behave.

He also won a pay out as a result of the tackle from Nicky Marker....Anyway, to be fair, this isn't about Man United, it's about Ben Thornley and his career. 

Not many players are improved by having a serious injury, I know I wasn't.

3 hours ago, McClarky said:

Have you seen the tackle or do you have some insight into Marker’s state of mind when he made it? Marker went into loads of tackles in his career and I would bet he never went in once to injure someone or to look hard. It’s a contact sport, just.

I wasn't at the game he put Ardilles out of but those who were came back very angry about it.

52 minutes ago, 47er said:

I wasn't at the game he put Ardilles out of but those who were came back very angry about it.

I was there that day. I was angry about Ardiles getting injured but it never entered my head that Nicky Marker had deliberately set out to cause anything like that. To be honest I thought if anything it was more about a top class player used to a bit more time and space getting caught out by the physicality of the old second division. 

Fair enough. I never put this thread up from a judgemental point of view anyway. A bit of nostalgia and also interesting  because I never heard of it at the time (or I've forgotten) was my take.

I just about remember Ben Thornley and who knows whether he would have gone on to be a superstar or not?

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 07:00, Vinjay17 said:

Not sure why people liked Todd then. I'm not one to talk about someone holding grudges but that seems like something people should have gotten over quickly. 

I quite liked Andy Todd. He was on a very short fuse but was a better footballer than Marker. The worst incident involving him in a Rovers shirt that I recall off the top of my head was when he kicked Dugarry up the arse. Having witnessed both incidents I can assure you that Marker`s assault on Ardiles was much, much worse.

8 hours ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

I quite liked Andy Todd. He was on a very short fuse but was a better footballer than Marker. The worst incident involving him in a Rovers shirt that I recall off the top of my head was when he kicked Dugarry up the arse. Having witnessed both incidents I can assure you that Marker`s assault on Ardiles was much, much worse.

I thought he did well to get away with that foul on Van Persie. Having said that if any player deserved a crack it was Van Persie.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

You make it sound like Marker deliberately crippled the lad. What happened that night was an unfortunate consequence of football being a physical sport.

There must have been a big crowd on for a reserve game for so many people to make a judgement on the tackle.

22 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It happens in football. It's a risk every player takes. Is there video? Did Marker get sent off because of it? I've no idea.

I feel for Ben Thornley but I doubt Marker's motivation was to end his career.

17 hours ago, McClarky said:

Never in a football match has a knee been shattered in every perceivable way by a tackle that wasn't made with excessive force in a dangerous manner. 

Marker was a decent player, but the type who would try and put skillfull players "in their place." On this occasion, by trying to do this in such a unnecessary situation, he has ruined someone's career and life. 

Those trying to create the impression it was some innocuous 50/50 challenge with an unfortunate ending are either incredibly biased, or lacking any knowledge of football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Batman. said:

Never in a football match has a knee been shattered in every perceivable way by a tackle that wasn't made with excessive force in a dangerous manner. 

Marker was a decent player, but the type who would try and put skillfull players "in their place." On this occasion, by trying to do this in such a unnecessary situation, he has ruined someone's career and life. 

Those trying to create the impression it was some innocuous 50/50 challenge with an unfortunate ending are either incredibly biased, or lacking any knowledge of football.

I'll say again that I seriously doubt that Marker's intent was to end Thornley's career,  I'll also say that I'm not trying to pass it off as an "innocuous 50/50". He may have gone over the ball. If you can find a video of the tackle please post it. At this point it's all conjecture.

As a side, my footballing days were ended by a double compound fracture of my leg. There was no malice at all in the tackle that did it, just 2 people going for a ball. Also, a mate of mine now walks with a permanent limp having had his ACL and MCL done and peroneal nerve snapped with one of the most tame tackles I've ever seen. It can happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'll say again that I seriously doubt that Marker's intent was to end Thornley's career

I have no doubt that it wasn't his intention.

However, I have no doubt he wanted to "let him know he was there (translated into everyday English as "hurt him")."

It's the football equivalent of "manslaughter." 

I'm not sure why people are so offended by me criticising Marker for ending someone's career? I presume the court of law saw the video and arrived at the conclusion that the tackle was not "one of those unfortunate things" but an act of excessive force that had dire consequences.

29 minutes ago, Batman. said:

However, I have no doubt he wanted to "let him know he was there (translated into everyday English as "hurt him")."

I'm not sure why people are so offended by me criticising Marker for ending someone's career? I presume the court of law saw the video and arrived at the conclusion that the tackle was not "one of those unfortunate things" but an act of excessive force that had dire consequences.

Have you ever actually played the game?

4 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Have you ever actually played the game?

I have yes, for many years. 

As have those at Old Trafford that were so appalled by the challenge, they opted to sue Marker, and won.

You seem to be struggling in accepting that somebody disagrees with you, and struggling even more to argue the points that I'm making.

You can accept that we disagree and leave it there, try and debate the point with an element of intellect, or continue the futile task of trying to ridicule me through one liners. I fancy my chances whichever way you choose.

17 hours ago, Batman. said:

That escalated quickly!

”Let him know you’re there” is not the same as “hurt him”. It’s making your opponent know that you are not afraid to put a strong challenge in.

“Reckless” might be more on the the right lines. The football equivalent of “negligence “ which will be the basis for the legal action.

A pal of mine used to play in the old Northern Premier League. He had his cheek bone smashed by a bloke who was well known in the League as a real thug. He was one of the first players , if not the first, to take an opponent to court for deliberately injuring another player. He was a part time pro and worked as a joiner. He won his case for compensation for the time he was unable to work.

On 11/10/2018 at 22:38, Batman. said:

Tackles go in injuries happen. Marker was a genuine player. United and Ferguson at the time only complained about what happened to them. 

He is probably 1 of 100s of sporting injuries. Believe it or not football is a contact sport and injuries happen.

I know for a fact if our players aren’t getting stuck in then I feel their not trying. He got injured united complained what’s new. It’s mans game apparently.

Nothing wrong with marker or marker type players. If united don’t want player to get injured don’t play them.