BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers Trivia Quiz

Rovers Trivia Quiz

1.     Which former Rover never enjoyed his time at Ewood:

"The dourness of the club matched that of the town. I could not shake off the depression that caused me to wake each day regretting that I had to go to the ground. Life was grey and monotonous".

He did, however, withdraw his infamous transfer request after scoring a hat-trick against Manchester Utd on the first day of the 1960-61 series.

2.     Which Rover returned to Chelsea in 1997 for a 5 million pound fee to become the most expensive defender in English football.

3.     What year did we sign Alan Shearer?

4.     Which 3 former Ewood heroes are currently in the Norwich City first team squad?

5.     Which former Rover, in 2013, also left for Norwich. Subsequently he moved to Swansea where he became a member of a very select group: “Players who have been relegated from the Premiership FOUR times!”

6.     When Rovers sold Colin Hendry in 1989 he immediately became “Player of the Year” for his new club. Which club?

7.     Morten Gamst Pedersen is back playing for the club we bought him from! Which club?

8.     Which Rovers legend retired from football on 24th May 2009 and was voted the 47th best player in the Premier League for the decade 2000-2009 in the Daily Mail?

9.     Who managed Rovers to the Third Division Title in 1974-75.

10. Where was former Rovers centre-forward Roque Santa Cruz born?

BONUS QUESTION! only 6 clubs have provided more England internationals than Rovers (48). Which clubs?

Answers

1.     Derek Dougan

2.     Graeme Le Saux

3.     1992

4.     Grant Hanley, Ben Marshall, Jordan Rhodes

5.     Martin Olsson

6.     Man City

7.     Tromso

8.     Tugay

9.     Gordon Lee

10. Paraguay

Bonus:   Villa 73, Spurs 73, Liverpool 67, Everton 66, Man U 64, Arsenal 63    (This is from a 2015 Daily Telegraph article so not quite up to-date.)

Some of these answers I looked up on Wiki……..so I can’t guarantee 100% accuracy!

Edited by tonyoz
  • Like 2

Dougan - what a bas***d. Grew up in the stunning urban metropolis that is Belfast and subsequently went to play and live in the ungrey city of Wolverhampton. The all-time biggest hate figure to wear our beloved shirt.

Q: Which famous Rovers player and England international was killed during the Battle of Passchendaele in the first world war? 

Edited by jim mk2

2 hours ago, bazza said:

I didn't get Ben Marshall, Man City (didn't look at the year), Tugay, and had Sunderland instead of Man Utd.  Good quiz, Tonyoz. More please.

Thanks bazza. It’s funny; when I choose the question I’m never sure whether it’s too hard or too easy! I don’t get much feedback so it’s hard to tell!

• 1 year later...

I just stumbled across something that I'd forgotten and it surprised me.

Who was the last member of the Premier League winning team to leave Rovers or retire? Bonus point for the year.

No Googling - you'll only be cheating yourself ?

11 hours ago, Pedro said:

I just stumbled across something that I'd forgotten and it surprised me.

Who was the last member of the Premier League winning team to leave Rovers or retire? Bonus point for the year.

No Googling - you'll only be cheating yourself ?

I would hazard a guess at Mark Atkins simply because he dropped down into League One and then non league.

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I would hazard a guess at Mark Atkins simply because he dropped down into League One and then non league.

Sorry, to clarify I mean to leave Rovers ( ie. continuous service since the Premier League win).

Jeff Kenna? Saw a question on Twitter a few days ago asking which two players were at Rovers for both the 95 title win and 2002 League Cup win. I’d have never thought Kenna, thought he left well before 2002, but turns out he played one game in that cup run.

• Like 1

It is Jeff Kenna!  I totally forgot he was still there and don't remember him still being around until 2002.

Next one, which playing member of the 1995 title winning squad retired from professional football last ?  Again, no Googling the squad.  

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

It is Jeff Kenna!  I totally forgot he was still there and don't remember him still being around until 2002.

Next one, which playing member of the 1995 title winning squad retired from professional football last ?  Again, no Googling the squad.  

i`ll go for a tentative answer in henning berg

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Pedro said:

I saw that Nicky Marker played a game in 2011 for Ivybridge, but fairly sure that's not 'pro'...

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

Ian Pearce?

On 08/03/2020 at 12:07, Pedro said:

This must be Mark Atkins.

8 minutes ago, Pedro said:

To be honest, I think he's the last to play league football but one other played for a conference side (now a league team).

Alan Wright ? think he played a couple of times during the Prem winning season and played for Fleetwood at the end of his career

• Like 2