BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

POLL - SKY RED-BUTTON AND IT'S EFFECT ON SEASON-TICKET HOLDERS

Will you give up your Season Ticket next season due to the SKY Red-Button?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Will you give up your Season Ticket next season due to the SKY Red-Button?

• YES - due to cost/travel/convenience etc but will still go to some/all of the 3pm Saturday games as a walk-on.
    • NO - I will continue to buy a Season-Ticket and go to Ewood regardless of the Red-Button.
    • Not a current Season-Ticket holder but the Red-Button will influence my decision to buy one in the future.
    • Not a current Season-Ticket holder but the Red-Button will have no influence on my decision to buy one in the future.
    • Undecided at present

This is probably worth a poll as it represents a huge shift in how people can watch Rovers. Rough estimates suggest about 10 of the 23 HOME games will not be at 3pm on a Saturday and so will be available for free on the Red-Button. That is an unprecedented number of 'Live on SKY' games for Rovers fans.  Mr Waggott was in the LT flagging it up as a concern, and he claims he's always looking for feedback from supporter groups (and this forum is one) so if would be remiss of us not to oblige him.

So, basically, will the Red-Button have any impact on whether you buy a Season-Ticket next season?

The poll is anonymous.

Mods - could you pin-it please?

• Like 2

• K-Hod pinned this topic
  • Moderation Lead

Pinned.

I voted 'no', but still attend regardless. But this is because I don't have Sky at home, I can't really afford it at the moment and besides, I'm not much of a coach potato anyway!

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

Has everyone seen the challenge of the 3pm blackout rules by Eleven Sports ?

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/eleven-sports-uk-blackout

This could open the door for Saturday 3pm iFollow / Sky red button options...TV season tickets ? ?

What would also be interesting is the numbers of people who have a mechanism to watch Saturday 3pm fixtures already....

30 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Has everyone seen the challenge of the 3pm blackout rules by Eleven Sports ?

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/eleven-sports-uk-blackout

I don't understand why this is such an issue. Are they worried that people are going to stay at home to watch La Liga games rather than go to English matches?

Surely the impact of allowing foreign games to be broadcast between 3-5pm is going to be minimal.

The only potential issue I can see here is that if Eleven Sports are allowed to broadcast Italian or Spanish games between 3pm and 5pm then Sky Sports might claim it is discrimination that they are not allowed to show English games, but surely the League, acting on behalf of it's member clubs, can uphold such a thing?

Voted no..

I will always have season ticket at Ewood. Nothing will change that at the minute. 

Yes I have Sky so it might change my mind about attending some away games but that will be minimal on my part. I have no problem with Sky broadcasting midweek games as some fans wont be attend for various reasons but can see the game whether its live or not. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

For fans that weren’t attending anyway, it’s a great development for them.

However , this issue you don’t seem to be grasping is it is about those that will possibly stop buying a season ticket or a match day ticket at £25+ once they realise they can watch not far off half the home games on TV.

• Like 1

This is a bit of a funny one for me. I bought my first season ticket last season (coinciding with relocation to Liverpool) and bought again this season. I'm finding it difficult to get to mid week games, as the trains don't run late enough for me to get back home after the game. To get to them I have to essentially bribe my girlfriend with love & affection, a ticket to the game and a visit to Nando's pre game to make a bit of a night of it for her.. The whole set up has been working well to date, but as she's working on her PHD, her time is going to become more limited.

For weekend games, I make the 2 hour trip there and back (I was surprised by how long it takes all in all) by myself with no qualms at all and enjoy the day out. Typically I have to miss 3/4 weekend games a season due to scheduling conflicts, so that coupled with my midweek travel issues, mean that I will seriously have to look into the cost benefit of purchasing a season ticket next season. 

That being said, if I don't buy one I'll make the journey to Ewood any weekend I'm available and purchase a ticket with Club 1975 membership. Plus it may free me up to attend a few more away games. 

• Like 1

It is bound to have a negative impact on attendance for Clubs with limited fan bases like ourselves..there is no doubt in my mind.

The value of a season ticket is greatly reduced imo,the upside to this is prices will have to drop.We are fast approaching that crossroads where something has to give.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

For fans that weren’t attending anyway, it’s a great development for them.

However , this issue you don’t seem to be grasping is it is about those that will possibly stop buying a season ticket or a match day ticket at £25+ once they realise they can watch not far off half the home games on TV.

I am grasping the situation fine thanks Matty, so no need for this. 

what about those season tickets holders who can't get to midweek games due to work, family commitments or travel arrangements so the red button is a good thing for these fans. I did suggest a season ticket for weekend games only or even a 10 game season ticket for fans who can make only certain games. 

1 minute ago, RoverKyle said:

Just as a follow on, the television changes won't necessarily have an impact on my decision on whether or not to renew. I have SkyGo, but that doesn't provide a red button option as far as I'm aware. Plus I prefer to go to games than watch them on TV!

You can watch the games on the Sky Sports app 

24 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

It is bound to have a negative impact on attendance for Clubs with limited fan bases like ourselves..there is no doubt in my mind.

The value of a season ticket is greatly reduced imo....prices will have to drop.

I'm not sure about it only affecting clubs with 'limited fanbases'. I can see it affecting everyone in Leagues One and Two and at least half of the Championship. One or two might cart on for a few years getting 20,000+ gates on Saturdays.

Only had to look at Derby's crowd when we played there the other week. Last few years it has been 27000+ even midweek, when we played it was a good 4000 down on the last few years. I'm sure that will at least partly be due to the game being on the red button.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I am grasping the situation fine thanks Matty, so no need for this. 

what about those season tickets holders who can't get to midweek games due to work, family commitments or travel arrangements so the red button is a good thing for these fans. I did suggest a season ticket for weekend games only or even a 10 game season ticket for fans who can make only certain games. 

You can watch the games on the Sky Sports app 

What about those that can’t make it? They don’t get to watch it, simple as that.

But again you aren’t grasping it chaddy, so here I go.

This isn’t about mad committed fans that maybe can’t make on odd game. Using you or me as an example, it wouldn’t stop us buying a ST in the future, we’d just be happy we got to see a game we’d have otherwise missed.

However, there maybe others that are weighing up renewing for whatever reason, maybe they struggle to get to non Saturday afternoon matches etc or they pick their games, THEY could well keep their cash in their pocket.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

What about those that can’t make it? They don’t get to watch it, simple as that.

But again you aren’t grasping it chaddy, so here I go.

This isn’t about mad committed fans that maybe can’t make on odd game. Using you or me as an example, it wouldn’t stop us buying a ST in the future, we’d just be happy we got to see a game we’d have otherwise missed.

However, there maybe others that are weighing up renewing for whatever reason, maybe they struggle to get to non Saturday afternoon matches etc or they pick their games, THEY could well keep their cash in their pocket.

Like me. If the coverage improved I'd say it would take something special to make me purchase a ticket next season.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Voted no..

I will always have season ticket at Ewood. Nothing will change that at the minute. 

Yes I have Sky so it might change my mind about attending some away games but that will be minimal on my part. I have no problem with Sky broadcasting midweek games as some fans wont be attend for various reasons but can see the game whether its live or not. 

Yep that’s about right, I’ll still be there and don’t do many away games,could end up with cheaper season tickets,to counter it,because there are plenty on here who think season tickets are too dear,I think it’s just about right,probably middle of the road in the division,need to give them away to please some fans.

The average match ticket price for the Riverside for an adult (ignoring the ridiculous surcharge) across all the equally ridiculous pricing categories is £21.

If this season continues as I expect it to then there will only be about 12 home Saturday 3pm games e.g. approx. half our home games will be on TV and will be held at times that are difficult to attend (Saturday mornings, Midweek, Saturday tea times).

You could therefore buy individual match tickets for the 3pm Saturday games for a total of about £250, and stay at home and watch all the others on TV, whilst saving £100 on the price of a season ticket.

I'd personally never do such a thing, but I fall into the bracket of devotion on a religious level, have the disposable income and live 15 minutes from the ground. I can easily see other people who live further away, or who don't have the same determination to attend games, starting to wonder about it.

• Like 2

Just now, unsall said:

Yep that’s about right, I’ll still be there and don’t do many away games,could end up with cheaper season tickets,to counter it,because there are plenty on here who think season tickets are too dear,I think it’s just about right,probably middle of the road in the division,need to give them away to please some fans. 

Are you saying you want cheaper season tickets or not? Your seem confused.

15 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Are you saying you want cheaper season tickets or not? Your seem confused.

Obviously everyone would like cheaper tickets,but I don’t think they are overpriced,but if all this new money from sky comes in with red button etc,they could end up cheaper,and btw I’m not confused just pisses me off with 80 % on here always moaning about something re Rovers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

People want the best for the club unsall, simple as that.

I’d love that to be true, I don’t come on here much,but there always to be the same people moaning all the time,blaming COE marketing boys/girls,office staff,just feel things are getting a little better with the owners since SW and T M came in,but like you said let’s hope the people want the best for the club?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

The average match ticket price for the Riverside for an adult (ignoring the ridiculous surcharge) across all the equally ridiculous pricing categories is £21.

If this season continues as I expect it to then there will only be about 12 home Saturday 3pm games e.g. approx. half our home games will be on TV and will be held at times that are difficult to attend (Saturday mornings, Midweek, Saturday tea times).

You could therefore buy individual match tickets for the 3pm Saturday games for a total of about £250, and stay at home and watch all the others on TV, whilst saving £100 on the price of a season ticket.

I'd personally never do such a thing, but I fall into the bracket of devotion on a religious level, have the disposable income and live 15 minutes from the ground. I can easily see other people who live further away, or who don't have the same determination to attend games, starting to wonder about it.

So what’s the answer?

1 hour ago, unsall said:

I’m not confused just pisses me off with 80 % on here always moaning about something re Rovers.

The discussion was about how the red-button may impact football attendances. If you recall it has been Waggott and Mowbray who have been 'moaning' in the press that attendances are lower than they expected. 

25 minutes ago, unsall said:

So what’s the answer?

a) Go back to how it was - stop red button streaming and Ifollow coverage, or strictly limit it to midweek fixtures and not weekends.

b) Use the increased tv income to significantly reduce ticket prices and increase the incentive to attend games.

10 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

The discussion was about how the red-button may impact football attendances. If you recall it has been Waggott and Mowbray who have been 'moaning' in the press that attendances are lower than they expected. 

Obviously it will impact on the fans who are couldn’t care less if they watch it live or on tv,won’t impact on the core fans,but some on here who blame season ticket prices are too high will blow £150 on a weekend on the drink,think Waggot and TM just thought we might have had a few more on,after promotion and the transfer business and renewing contracts,unfortunately Sky has slowly been taking over the whole of football from 1992,with dangling the carrot,(more money) and the EFL have took it,if it ends up with cheaper season tickets,could be the answer,we will find out next season.