BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

POLL - SKY RED-BUTTON AND IT'S EFFECT ON SEASON-TICKET HOLDERS

Will you give up your Season Ticket next season due to the SKY Red-Button?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Will you give up your Season Ticket next season due to the SKY Red-Button?

• YES - due to cost/travel/convenience etc but will still go to some/all of the 3pm Saturday games as a walk-on.
    • NO - I will continue to buy a Season-Ticket and go to Ewood regardless of the Red-Button.
    • Not a current Season-Ticket holder but the Red-Button will influence my decision to buy one in the future.
    • Not a current Season-Ticket holder but the Red-Button will have no influence on my decision to buy one in the future.
    • Undecided at present

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

surcharges were there last season before he came in and he has already explained the reasons why. 

kick offs? how many games has he moved time for? 2 at most. hardly a major thing is it. 

not getting involved in the Darwen end debate either with you

14 people out of 70 people who voted is hardly a decent simple of fans it it? 

Presuming you mean that we need more staff on match day, thats not a valid reason for me at all, as I suspect that wed get a small increase in supporters to offset the £3 per person.

12 in 69 as it stands. The thing is chaddy, a point you continue to miss, we arent talking about massive changes. But that is a significant swing considering its a totally new factor to think of.

40 minutes ago, unsall said:

Yeah, how is Waggot to blame for kick offs, been like this for a few years,police and safety officer, Darwen end, can’t see a problem moving them and leaving that end for away supporters,surcharging agree, no need for them, and pricing in hindsight with the red button I follow etc, need a new pricing structure, like Sharpe said today on his Q/A they have tried cheap tickets, not worked, think if I was running the show, next season, to try for an 1 year experiment a £200 season ticket,all over the ground, £100 u/16 and on the day match tickets of £20 for HOME supporters,  no cat A,B and C and crucially charge AWAY supporters the same as we get charged, £20 for West Brom if in same division and £38/40 for Leeds etc, we obviously differ in views re Waggot, it just seems to me he is trying hard to get harmony with fans and owners,all that above if obviously we have a decent season, finish half way up the table, and try and push on for promotion next season with hopefully a few more watching.

Surcharges, you agree, but surely thats hypocritical, as that is "moaning" in your eyes when things are going well on the pitch?

You also then go on to suggest lower ticket prices. So why the problem with others "moaning" about the prices?

I dont have a major problem with Waggott, I just have problems with some of his policies, of which youve just shared similar criticisms.

What has he done at all personally that you consider to be him "trying hard to get harmony with fans" may I ask? Ramping up prices or moving some from where they want to sit without explanation isnt that. Maybe hes doing something that im missing?

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Presuming you mean that we need more staff on match day, thats not a valid reason for me at all, as I suspect that wed get a small increase in supporters to offset the £3 per person.

12 in 69 as it stands. The thing is chaddy, a point you continue to miss, we arent talking about massive changes. But that is a significant swing considering its a totally new factor to think of.

Surcharges, you agree, but surely thats hypocritical, as that is "moaning" in your eyes when things are going well on the pitch?

You also then go on to suggest lower ticket prices. So why the problem with others "moaning" about the prices?

I dont have a major problem with Waggott, I just have problems with some of his policies, of which youve just shared similar criticisms.

What has he done at all personally that you consider to be him "trying hard to get harmony with fans" may I ask? Ramping up prices or moving some from where they want to sit without explanation isnt that. Maybe hes doing something that im missing?

Just trying to write something constructive, ha ha no chance with some of you on here, doom and gloom, there you are that’s different from moaning. What would you do next season if you were the man in charge?

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It’s a place of opinions, one person’s ‘doom and gloom’ is another’s realism. 

Threres nothing more tiresome than people banging on about others ‘positive’ and ‘negative’ posts.

Well you have to respect my opinion as I have others, end of the day most,(not all)have Rovers at heart,just show it in different ways,let’s all hope for happy compromise on the red button/season tickets.

58 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Those living in Hyndburn, are you seeing a noticeable increase of Stanley shirts?

Spend a lot of time in Accy and yeah see more Stanley shirts these days. The rest is made up of the Rovers, usual manu/lpool, then another premier club, in that order. And I'm being honest. The nearest shout Burnley get is with the gingerbread men in Oddies.

As for the red bottom the quality both picture and commentary is bad. Only good (well laughable) thing is its not live.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

14 people out of 70 people who voted is hardly a decent simple of fans it it? 

That's the way polls work Chads. You ask a number of people and extrapolate to give an idea of how a larger number of people might vote.

14 out of 70 IS significant. Especially on a message board for dedicated fans.

I'm not one of the 14 by the way.  I don't have Sky and a red button would never keep me from a Rovers game if I could possibly attend.

On the other hand, Venky's ARE keeping me away from Ewood and it's still away matches only for me.  

Edited by Crimpshrine

1 hour ago, unsall said:

Just trying to write something constructive, ha ha no chance with some of you on here, doom and gloom, there you are that’s different from moaning. What would you do next season if you were the man in charge?

Ive said before but the following:

- Reduce season ticket prices slightly. They should not have been put up when we had our perfect chance to get crowds up on the back of promotion. But they should be reduced especially with the added problem of the red button, one I dont blame the club for obviously.

- Remove surcharges to encourage walk ons.

- Sell the top tier of the Darwen End to away fans first.

- Stop moving kick off times unnecessarily, if it means not selling 8k away tickets, so be it. Otherwise home fans may struggle to make it/settle for red button. Home fans should be prioritised.

Dont think things like a "x amount of games" season ticket is a wise idea as mooted by some. Will encourage some who do get season tickets to instead pay for less games.

Also, damage has been done re the Darwen End fallout. 

37 minutes ago, unsall said:

Well you have to respect my opinion as I have others, end of the day most,(not all)have Rovers at heart,just show it in different ways,let’s all hope for happy compromise on the red button/season tickets.

You clearly dont respect others and their opinions, even though many are shared by yourself. You made some very constructive points in your last point on pricing and surcharges etc that were lost amidst you constantly bleating on about moaning, ironically.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unsall said:

,surcharging agree, no need for them, and pricing in hindsight with the red button I follow etc, need a new pricing structure, like Sharpe said today on his Q/A they have tried cheap tickets, not worked, think if I was running the show, next season, to try for an 1 year experiment a £200 season ticket,all over the ground, £100 u/16 and on the day match tickets of £20 for HOME supporters,  no cat A,B and C and crucially charge AWAY supporters the same as we get charged, £20 for West Brom if in same division and £38/40 for Leeds etc,

Moan, moan, bloody moan. It's all you people do on here. 

2 hours ago, gumboots said:

Immediate goodwill towards him and the club if he'd scrapped it. It's not a lot on one ticket but if you pay for more than one eg you, your partner and a young family member it's a lot. And it's the principle of it. Why should you be penalised for deciding at the last minute you want to go and can? You'll already pay top price for your ticket compared to season ticket holders etc. That's what you expect when you're picking and choosing which matches to attend. But why should you pay more if you can't decide till nearly kick off? If there's room for you, and there certainly is at Ewood, then you should be allowed to purchase a ticket at the standard price. Other sports do it. Why can't we? 

The surcharge isnt much really

How many fans decide within 2 hours of kick off to attend or not? Not something Ive ever done. 

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Those living in Hyndburn, are you seeing a noticeable increase of Stanley shirts?

No idea tbh. Ive seen more fans walking home after games than last season. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Waggott has explained the reason. You can moan as much as you want but he told you the reason.

12 out of 73. 

Ive talk about having different type of season tickets to suit more fans needs. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Ive said before but the following:

- Reduce season ticket prices slightly. They should not have been put up when we had our perfect chance to get crowds up on the back of promotion. But they should be reduced especially with the added problem of the red button, one I dont blame the club for obviously.

- Remove surcharges to encourage walk ons.

- Sell the top tier of the Darwen End to away fans first.

- Stop moving kick off times unnecessarily, if it means not selling 8k away tickets, so be it. Otherwise home fans may struggle to make it/settle for red button. Home fans should be prioritised.

Dont think things like a "x amount of games" season ticket is a wise idea as mooted by some. Will encourage some who do get season tickets to instead pay for less games.

Also, damage has been done re the Darwen End fallout. 

You clearly dont respect others and their opinions, even though many are shared by yourself. You made some very constructive points in your last point on pricing and surcharges etc that were lost amidst you constantly bleating on about moaning, ironically.

What about disabled away fans? Where do they go?

How many Rovers fans used to sit in Darwen end and how many didnt renew? 

What about fans who can only attend weekend games? But want to attend every game at weekend? 

If the Leeds game kicked off at 3pm on Saturday, was £15 a ticket, wasnt on tv and the price was well publicised, you'd get an extra 2000 home fans on.

People, talk about the spirit and connection between the team and the manager but that is between the existing attending fans and the players. You need to get people back in to Ewood and connecting with the team again. You need to break their habit of not attending anymore. Therefore you need to do special prices for the bigger and better games.

Doing price promotions for the likes of QPR and Rotherham midweek isn't going to appeal to fans to 'break the habit' and return. My brother, who generally only attends when one of our group can't make it, would probably have come down on Saturday as an extra but it's £30 and on the box. There will be many, many others.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

Bang on Hasta. As I said the other week, the club could have had their cake and eaten it too with this game.

We could still have charged Leeds fans full whack, but made it a ‘local promotion’ for our fans - £15 or whatever, would have been a fantastic occasion to get folk back in the habit.

But no, charge a fortune and push them towards their TV.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

How many fans decide within 2 hours of kick off to attend or not? Not something Ive ever done. 

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

My dad did this for the last 15 years. Decide at 2pm. Just because you don't, it doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.

Also, if there was a weekend only season ticket, I'd possibly opt for that instead of a full season ticket. You may get more on at the weekend with that season ticket but you could lose the same amount of home fans from midweek games. I don't think it's the right idea but it is the kind of different thinking which we should be looking at.

Edited by Hasta

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No idea tbh. Ive seen more fans walking home after games than last season. 

Waggott has explained the reason. You can moan as much as you want but he told you the reason.

12 out of 73. 

Ive talk about having different type of season tickets to suit more fans needs. 

What about fans who can only attend weekend games? But want to attend every game at weekend? 

Theres a galling lack of empathy and an inability to see any other person circumstance aside from your own. As @Hasta touched on, obviously the surcharge wont affect you, or me in fact, regular season ticket holders. I dont understand your staunch defence of it based on the sole reasoning on Waggott said it so it must be true.

I applaud the thinking outside the box re the weekend only/x number of games only season tickets but it would just encourage current season holders to downgrade. Again, youve only thought of it as you do shift work, therefore you seem to presume that everyone does.

8 minutes ago, Hasta said:

If the Leeds game kicked off at 3pm on Saturday, was £15 a ticket, wasnt on tv and the price was well publicised, you'd get an extra 2000 home fans on.

People, talk about the spirit and connection between the team and the manager but that is between the existing attending fans and the players. You need to get people back in to Ewood and connecting with the team again. You need to break their habit of not attending anymore. Therefore you need to do special prices for the bigger and better games.

Doing price promotions for the likes of QPR and Rotherham midweek isn't going to appeal to fans to 'break the habit' and return. My brother, who generally only attends when one of our group can't make it, would probably have come down on Saturday as an extra but it's £30 and on the box. There will be many, many others.

Very good post. The club may need to think outside the box rather than focusing on fleecing every penny from its core following. The overestimates sales target and lack of historical knowledge from Waggott all screams amateur to me.

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

My dad did this for the last 15 years. Decide at 2pm. Just because you don't, it doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.

Also, if there was a weekend only season ticket, I'd possibly opt for that instead of a full season ticket. You may get more on at the weekend with that season ticket but you could lose the same amount of home fans from midweek games. I don't think it's the right idea but it is the kind of different thinking which we should be looking at.

I was asking a question thats all. 

59 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Theres a galling lack of empathy and an inability to see any other person circumstance aside from your own. As @Hasta touched on, obviously the surcharge wont affect you, or me in fact, regular season ticket holders. I dont understand your staunch defence of it based on the sole reasoning on Waggott said it so it must be true.

I applaud the thinking outside the box re the weekend only/x number of games only season tickets but it would just encourage current season holders to downgrade. Again, youve only thought of it as you do shift work, therefore you seem to presume that everyone does.

I know few people who nights or evening shifts or 6-2/2-10 shifts. I work nights but thats doesnt stop me attending at all. 

Waggott has explained the reason why for the surcharge. You can keep going on about it but aint changing owt. 

No answers to the rest of my questions I see tho. 

These questions

If I, who comes on This board a lot and follows Rovers news in other media, doesn't know why Waggot said the surcharge is in place, what chance has the casual walk-on of understanding why they are getting fleeced £3.

Im guessing it's staff costs. A well know pub in the area used to (may still) put the prices up on match day asthey has to bring in more staff to deal with more customers. But in reality they were bringing in more  staff as they were selling more beer. Therefore the added sales should have covered the staff wages. 

14 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

The issue is that without the blackout, Sky &/or iFollow can offer TV options on a Saturday afternoon, so the choice isn’t Rovers or Barcelona/Real Madrid....it’s Rovers in the flesh or Rovers on TV.

At the last international break, L1 & L2 games on a Saturday were televised on iFollow. Andy Holt at Stanley had Burton fans Tweeting him saying they were now gonna watch on TV. So Stanley would lose out on ticket sales plus - and here’s the interesting bit - Burton got the money from iFollow for selling the TV packages....so we’ll supported clubs who bring large away followings (Leeds) can make money from away games...not the home team.

Holt likened it to hosting a party where the guests sell tickets and keep the proceeds without contributing to the costs of hosting.

Rovers should be concerned about this IMHO.

Amazing if true that club’s don’t own the intellectual property for games hosted / televised in their home ground.

Money has to go to the home team. Has to.

Otherwise this is just another way to give more and more income to the big city clubs and push the town clubs under.

The EFL and FA are despicable organisations whose purpose in life should be to protect the interests of their member - equally - and are instead only looking our for their own interests. Otherwise the very idea of open and fair competition - the thing the FA supposedly hold most dear - is dead.

3 hours ago, unsall said:

Who are these phantom people you are referring to [on here] who “don’t have Rovers at heart”?

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I was asking a question thats all. 

I know few people who nights or evening shifts or 6-2/2-10 shifts. I work nights but thats doesnt stop me attending at all. 

Waggott has explained the reason why for the surcharge. You can keep going on about it but aint changing owt. 

No answers to the rest of my questions I see tho. 

These questions

Disabled fans in the lower tier then.

Ive no idea, probably very few. That doesnt mean its the right decision, or that I cant feel aggrieved. Its still not wise to aggravate supporters.

Well they have the exact same dilemma they face now, attend some weekend games as a walk on or get a season ticket and attend as many as possible. Both preferably without the added reasons not to of a surcharge and higher season ticket prices! My point is that I feel/would guess that any new fans who dont have season tickets at the moment who would buy one of these tickets would be more than offset by the number who would change from having full season tickets (id suggest that more than 50% dont/cant attend all 23 games) to the type of ticket that you suggest. Thus you are basically shutting down any chance of even a slightly respectable midweek attendance.

Your attitude is, dont question anything, it is how it is and thats that. Waggott is not beyond question just like anyone else at the club isnt. I dont understand why you use a messageboard if youre attitude is that theres no point mentioning things as it "wont change owt." Suggesting which players we could sign/sell, what tactics wed play and what subs we would have made is also futile by such an attitude. 

• Like 1