BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football rule changes - what would you do?

I don't know if this has been done on here before but I'll give it a whirl.

If you could add, change, or remove a rule in football to make the game better what would it be?

Mine would be to treat injuries like they do in rugby. Instead of players lying prostrate followed by a few seconds of benign passing before someone puts it out of play so that a physio can come on, I'd have play continue as normal. The ref waves on the physio who tends to the injured player whilst the game goes on around them. The ref still has discretion to halt proceedings if they deem that it's warranted.

To me this would not only cut down on time wasting, but it would ensure that those who aren't really injured would think twice before asking for the magic sponge.

• Like 2

Big decisions like penalties and offsides need to be got right by the officials. Not sure how, maybe giving a manager 3 calls during a game which they would use to call replay. I don't like the line that "these even themselves out over a season" as I think that's a fob off and bullshit. I mean if a wrong decision happens in the play-off final , I don't see how that will even itself out for the team who were wronged. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

Retrospective bans for diving. 

Definitely. Didn't they say last season that this would happen? I remember one or two incidents. Seems to have gone totally off the radar. Diving is so prevalent in the game , particularly the European club competitions and in internationals (certain countries are a disgrace) that I feel something needs to be done sooner rather than later and a few examples need to be made of high profile players who do it.  I hate diving in football so much that if one of our players did it in a game like the play off final, I would be disgusted that after everything ,that's how we won such a game. I would probably get over it though in that instance :) 

I'd introduce a system where the clock stops when the ball goes out of play. So mucking around on throw ins, goal kicks, free kicks achieves nothing as the clock isn't running. Same whenever the game stops due to 'injury' or for the referee to have a word with someone.

Perhaps pass responsibility for timekeeping to the 4th official or someone in the stands.

Cut out any more of stuff like that disgraceful 40 odd minutes of play in Cardiff v Burnley.

• Like 3

No January transfer window. Transfer deadline is the KO of your first league game, from that point onwards your squad is your squad. For the first few years it would be chaos, teams would hold onto all of their players scared incase key players get injuries. After a while players would force a move before the start of the season if they're not confident they will play.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'd introduce a system where the clock stops when the ball goes out of play. So mucking around on throw ins, goal kicks, free kicks achieves nothing as the clock isn't running. Same whenever the game stops due to 'injury' or for the referee to have a word with someone.

Perhaps pass responsibility for timekeeping to the 4th official or someone in the stands.

Cut out any more of stuff like that disgraceful 40 odd minutes of play in Cardiff v Burnley.

I would second that. Change the time allotment from 90 mins all in to 60 mins of the ball in play. Gets rid of time wasting and and injury time.

• Like 1

Yep. Time should be away from the ref. 

Regards diving, it's difficult to tell if someone dives, is knocked off balance or loses balance innocently. I think a lot of refs get it wrong regularly because it is so difficult to tell the difference.

I still regard MGPedersen with contempt since his blatant attempt at cheating.

Too many yellow cards, too many sendings-off. I'd like to see a return to sensible refereeing where serious foul play or bad behaviour such as spitting is punished but players do not get booked for lesser demeanours. Players are getting sent off these days for 2 yellows given for only minor offences - it's plain daft and it spoils the game

• Like 4

17 hours ago, JHRover said:

This sounds like rugby rules where the ref doesn't stop the clock for short things like minor injuries but does for infringements that need dealing with in more depth. The time keeping isn't done by the ref and time is not arbitrarily added on at the end at the refs estimation. When the clock reaches time the next stoppage finishes the match. If you're looking to score you just keep the ball in play so time can go on but once the opposition can get the ball off the pitch, the match ends

Some good points raised. I think a majority would enable more action and less stopping.

What about sin bins? Don't send them off but give them a few minutes away from the pitch a la ice hockey. One team plays with 10 for a short period of time.

In junior football where I live they've banned heading until u13 due to safety concerns. However, they haven't banned keepers from booting the ball out of their hands which causes no end of problems.

4 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Some good points raised. I think a majority would enable more action and less stopping.

What about sin bins? Don't send them off but give them a few minutes away from the pitch a la ice hockey. One team plays with 10 for a short period of time.

Good idea. Works well in the oval ball game so why not footie?  Creates interest for the fans and going down to 10 or 9 men for a short time gives managers on both sides the chance to show their mettle. 

Start giving fouls when the defender blatantly obstructs and pushes the striker when the defender is 'shielding' the ball to go out for a goal kick.

They can get away with anything in that situation but as they feel a touch from a striker they go down and always get a free kick

First of all ban coloured football boots , they're unnecessary and pointless to anybody who is not Lionel Messi .. Secondly make the woodwork part of the defending team so If the ball hits the post/crossbar it's a corner not a goalkick 

• Like 1