BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Swansea vs ROVERS - 23/10/18 19:45pm

We go one up and then for the remainder of the first half tip tap the ball about getting nowhere. We had, at the time, a very poor Swansea there for the taking. We are not good enough to play possession football, but we showed last Saturday that we can create chances, and goals, with more direct play.

It took until we were 2-1 down before we began to move forward with some determination. We were unlucky not to go 2-2 before we got caught out with a sucker punch.

I agree that there were again some strange substitutions, positional choices made by Tony and we sadly let 3 valuable points slip away. Anyway, let’s move on and hope for an improved performance next match.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

What a disappointing night, we were comfortable and threw it away (not the first time weve thrown away a match this season) and Mowbray has to be the main man responsible, predominantly for 2 reasons:

- He simply had to prioritise signing a centre back in the summer. Not interested in excuses, or theories about not being able to get Bauer. Look elsewhere if need be. Jack Rodwell is a good technical footballer but hes never a centre back in a million years, that needs to stop. We need to pray that Lenihan has just picked up a knock. You can not get through half or even a full season with 2 competent centre backs. Beyond that, weve one more centre back who is nowhere near good enough (why did Mowbray make Downings deal permanent?) and then you are playing square pegs in round holes beyond that. Do that and expect to concede goals.

- He needs to file the Brereton wide, Dack up front experiment under failed experiments along with playing 3 at the back. It quite simply doesnt work, and hes hanging his 6m striker out to dry by playing him there. Again I dont think he was too bad but hes never a wide man, nor is Dack a striker. I dont think the fact that when Graham was taken off things started to fall apart was a coincedence.

Otherwise, I'd suggest that Elliott Bennetts performance was possibly the worst individual performance I've seen from a Rovers player this season. Does he realise that to make a tackle, he doesnt have to slide? He was caught miles out of position so many times, and was targeted as a liability. He isnt a right back and while Nyambe is out, I would play Reed at right back who impressed there for Norwich last season. Again, its square pegs in round holes though. Rodwell, Bennett, Dack, Armstrong, Brereton, 5 players out of position, half a team. No wonder we became so disjointed.

Mulgrew was our best player by a country mile. Evans and Smallwood were good in the first half but soon became out done in the middle.

Raya was very slow coming out off his line to give Celina an easy third. His kicking was also diabolical.

Not sure what to make of Rothwell. I do like his energy and drive but I'm not convinced he does anything constructive with the ball. Also dont get what Palmer has done to fall so far down the pecking order. Hes already got 3 goals, his individual quality was key in winning at Bolton, yet he doesnt seem to get a sniff. A waste of a very talented player.

Good post. I agree with just about all of that.

• Like 1

• Backroom
51 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Think Brereton is getting some undeserved stick, he’s obviously playing out of position and I thought he did one or two decent things (which is more than anyone else did whilst he was on the pitch).

Did you not get the memo. 

Jason Lowe left the club. 

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

What a disappointing night, we were comfortable and threw it away (not the first time weve thrown away a match this season) and Mowbray has to be the main man responsible, predominantly for 2 reasons:

- He simply had to prioritise signing a centre back in the summer. Not interested in excuses, or theories about not being able to get Bauer. Look elsewhere if need be. Jack Rodwell is a good technical footballer but hes never a centre back in a million years, that needs to stop. We need to pray that Lenihan has just picked up a knock. You can not get through half or even a full season with 2 competent centre backs. Beyond that, weve one more centre back who is nowhere near good enough (why did Mowbray make Downings deal permanent?) and then you are playing square pegs in round holes beyond that. Do that and expect to concede goals.

- He needs to file the Brereton wide, Dack up front experiment under failed experiments along with playing 3 at the back. It quite simply doesnt work, and hes hanging his 6m striker out to dry by playing him there. Again I dont think he was too bad but hes never a wide man, nor is Dack a striker. I dont think the fact that when Graham was taken off things started to fall apart was a coincedence.

Otherwise, I'd suggest that Elliott Bennetts performance was possibly the worst individual performance I've seen from a Rovers player this season. Does he realise that to make a tackle, he doesnt have to slide? He was caught miles out of position so many times, and was targeted as a liability. He isnt a right back and while Nyambe is out, I would play Reed at right back who impressed there for Norwich last season. Again, its square pegs in round holes though. Rodwell, Bennett, Dack, Armstrong, Brereton, 5 players out of position, half a team. No wonder we became so disjointed.

Mulgrew was our best player by a country mile. Evans and Smallwood were good in the first half but soon became out done in the middle.

Raya was very slow coming out off his line to give Celina an easy third. His kicking was also diabolical.

Not sure what to make of Rothwell. I do like his energy and drive but I'm not convinced he does anything constructive with the ball. Also dont get what Palmer has done to fall so far down the pecking order. Hes already got 3 goals, his individual quality was key in winning at Bolton, yet he doesnt seem to get a sniff. A waste of a very talented player.

Good comments. It’s all the more disappointing when we turn out the same team that sent the Yorkshire puddings packing on Saturday. 

• Like 1

For me, as soon as we go ahead we stop playing normally and start  backing off when we don't have the ball and fannying about with it and just trying to keep possession when we do have it. We got away with it at Bolton and in the last 10-15 mins against Leeds but were found out badly tonight.

I don't think there's a massive amount wrong that wouldn't be rectified by having a far more positive outlook and playing for 90 mins as if we were 1-0 down but that said Brereton clearly needs to be playing down the centre and we could do with Nyambe back asap.

• Like 2

From a fan at the game about Brereton

Ben Brereton:

We've seen it with Samuel - Mowbray likes to play with a wide target man. He doesn't have great goalscoring form, so it's perhaps better playing him out wide. Best player when he came on tonight, and he has huge potential.

#rovers

This is fans who asking why we switch formation or the change of positions for Armstrong/Reed. @Angry_Pirate @Tyrone Shoelaces

From Rich Sharpe

Bruised hip for Lenihan. Will be assessed. Switch of flanks for Armstrong/Reed at h/t down to trying to expose Grimes at left back. Was something they’d worked on. TM felt he could have been braver and made more changes at the break. Wanted an extra man in midfield so went 4-3-3.

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Did I read somewhere that we travelled down by coach today ? if we can afford £7million for strikers surely we can afford a nights stay in a hotel for the team.

Other than go by air, considering the lamentable state of the road system it doesn't make any sense to travel on the day of the match. Travel wears anyone out, let alone professional athletes expected to perform at the peak of their ability. Players often travelled the day before a match back in the 1960s when the transport system was far less congested than it is today, and when rail was a viable alternative. Staying overnight costs more, obviously, but must be much better for the players. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

From Rich Sharpe

Bruised hip for Lenihan. Will be assessed. Switch of flanks for Armstrong/Reed at h/t down to trying to expose Grimes at left back. Was something they’d worked on. TM felt he could have been braver and made more changes at the break. Wanted an extra man in midfield so went 4-3-3.

Mowbray overthinking it again. Too much tinkering for the team's good. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Other than go by air, considering the lamentable state of the road system it doesn't make any sense to travel on the day of the match. Travel wears anyone out, let alone professional athletes expected to perform at the peak of their ability. Players often travelled the day before a match back in the 1960s when the transport system was far less congested than it is today, and when rail was a viable alternative. Staying overnight costs more, obviously, but must be much better for the players. 

I've driven down to Swansea for work Jim and it's a tough journey. I was pretty tired when we got there. It's ridiculous that we travelled down on the journey.

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ben Brereton:

We've seen it with Samuel - Mowbray likes to play with a wide target man. He doesn't have great goalscoring form, so it's perhaps better playing him out wide. Best player when he came on tonight, and he has huge potential.

#rovers

This is fans who asking why we switch formation or the change of positions for Armstrong/Reed. @Angry_Pirate @Tyrone Shoelaces

From Rich Sharpe

The fans logic on Brereton is totally backwards. He clearly doesnt have the attributes to play there and Forest fans have said that he was poor whenever he played wide for them. Hes being left out to dry by Mowbray by playing there and doesnt look comfortable there. If you want someone on to play wide, Palmer, Conway and Rothwell are more suited for that role than a number 9. If a strikers goalscoring form isnt good enough to warrant a place in his natural position, why is there a need to squeeze him in elsewhere?

I dont get why Mowbray felt such an urge to change anything, we were comfortable in the first half. Evans and Smallwood were very effective. Mowbray tinkered for the sake of it and ending up tricking himself. Half the team at the end of the game were out of position and we looked ragged. Rodwells never a centre back, Dacks never a number 9, Breretons never a winger and Bennetts never a full back. Mowbray got it wrong tonight.

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ben Brereton:

#rovers

This is fans who asking why we switch formation or the change of positions for Armstrong/Reed.

If they thought Brereton was the best player we he came on then they must have been watching a different game to me. He again looked completely lost and unsure about what his role was. Brereton is no more a wide man than Samuel and as for being target men neither ever win a header to be classed as that. As for Armstrong and Reed the question should be why are both players starting the match out of position. Too many square pegs in round holes in our team tonight.                                       

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The fans logic on Brereton is totally backwards. He clearly doesnt have the attributes to play there and Forest fans have said that he was poor whenever he played wide for them. Hes being left out to dry by Mowbray by playing there and doesnt look comfortable there. If you want someone on to play wide, Palmer, Conway and Rothwell are more suited for that role than a number 9. If a strikers goalscoring form isnt good enough to warrant a place in his natural position, why is there a need to squeeze him in elsewhere?

I dont get why Mowbray felt such an urge to change anything, we were comfortable in the first half. Evans and Smallwood were very effective. Mowbray tinkered for the sake of it and ending up tricking himself. Half the team at the end of the game were out of position and we looked ragged. Rodwells never a centre back, Dacks never a number 9, Breretons never a winger and Bennetts never a full back. Mowbray got it wrong tonight.

He watched it live. Not interested in Foresr fan opinion. He is here not there. Lets judge on his games here. 

Rodwell did well there and can read the game. I dont mind there. 

He watched it live. Not interested in Foresr fan opinion. He is here not there. Lets judge on his games here. 

So did we on TV. (Not together haha) Agreed and he has looked like a fish out of water there and Mowbray is making a mistake playing him there. Something you agreed with on your post to be fair about him wide and Dack central.

Mowbray said in his interview "Dack can play there Armstrong can play there" and didnt even mention Brereton worryingly.

Edited by roversfan99

Mowbray needs to figure this out and get our talented players out there.

Reed Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Evans Rodwell

Palmer Dack Rothwell 

Brereton

Give the lad a go up front for God’s sake and bring a fresh Danny on after an hour. Armstrong spends too much time as a passenger.

• Like 1

Well his games so far suggest that he is clearly not a winger and that Palmer Rothwell and Conway are all better options to play out wide. As for Rodwell reading the game well where was he for the 2nd and 3rd goals where one through ball saw them in on goal. Rodwell at centre back was another square peg in a round hole.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

So did we on TV. (Not together haha) Agreed and he has looked like a fish out of water there and Mowbray is making a mistake playing him there. Something you agreed with on your post to be fair about him wide and Dack central.

Mowbray said in his interview "Dack can play there Armstrong can play there" and didnt even mention Brereton worryingly.

Oh lets the panic button yet again.FFS!!! ?

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

Mowbray needs to figure this out and get our talented players out there.

Reed Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Evans Rodwell

Palmer Dack Rothwell 

Brereton

Give the lad a go up front for God’s sake and bring a fresh Danny on after an hour. Armstrong spends too much time as a passenger.

Id replace Evans with Smallwood but generally like the look of that side.