BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Friedel

Just now, renrag said:

I too have seen all those and I remember back in the 70’s having a long discussion with Alf Thornton, at Rishton CC, regarding the merits of Else and Jones. He had no doubt that George Marks was better than either of them. I saw Marks play but was too young to make any judgement. I personally think it’s hard to make a judgement between then and now, because of the protection today’s keepers get compared with the free for all of those days.

I never rated Fred Else. He was one of the reasons the brilliant attacking team of the early 1960's never won anything in my opinion. I only ever saw him play one outstanding game in all the games I saw him play. Brad was outstanding regularly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, renrag said:

Fred Else was universally recognised as the best uncapped goalkeeper of his generation until he broke his collarbone. He was just unlucky to be in contention with Ron Springett and then Gordon Banks for the England jersey when in his prime

Not by me renrag. Even so that's not as great as it sounds. Eddie Hopkinson and Alan Hodgkinson, Tony Waiters all had caps at that time as well as Banks and Springett, Gordon West and Peter Bonnetti were coming through and got caps slightly later. Lots of other Div 1 teams had Welsh, Irish and Scots goal keepers.  

I didn't think he was big enough and I lost count of the times the ball ended up in the back of our net and I was stood there thinking " How did that get in there ? " A bit like Robbo in his last season with us.