BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

WBA VS ROVERS - SAT 27TH

Just now, JHRover said:

Ironic that Palmer's loan signing was probably the most celebrated on here of all of our summer transfer additions and yet recently he's been used less than anyone (bar the injured Davenport).

Hardly! I would say it was 4th most celebrated at best, behind ; Brereton, Armstrong and Davenport(young exciting players for fees, as opposed to a loan). Personally I was more excited about Reed. He has more first team experience than Palmer. 

Palmer is a funny one, I would imagine there is an issue with is work rate defensively than is keeping him out of the team. Can't imagine Chelsea are too happy. I wonder, at some point, will we see him in Dacks role and Dack upfront? I wouldn't be a big fan of that now. The under 23 tournament we were in last year was handy to try stuff out, the games are coming thick and fast now and all matter, doesn't allow any room for experimentation. If we had that cup, we could even try Brereton upfront with Palmer behind. 

I think Mowbray will pull a Bolton on this and surprise us with his team selection. 

Raya 

Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Rodwell Evans 

Palmer Dack Rothwell

Graham 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Hardly! I would say it was 4th most celebrated at best, behind ; Brereton, Armstrong and Davenport(young exciting players for fees, as opposed to a loan). Personally I was more excited about Reed. He has more first team experience than Palmer. 

Palmer is a funny one, I would imagine there is an issue with is work rate defensively than is keeping him out of the team. Can't imagine Chelsea are too happy. I wonder, at some point, will we see him in Dacks role and Dack upfront? I wouldn't be a big fan of that now. The under 23 tournament we were in last year was handy to try stuff out, the games are coming thick and fast now and all matter, doesn't allow any room for experimentation. If we had that cup, we could even try Brereton upfront with Palmer behind. 

I think Mowbray will pull a Bolton on this and surprise us with his team selection. 

Raya 

Rodwell Evans 

Palmer Dack Rothwell

Graham 

Don't think so. The celebrations about Brereton were more to do with the cash we were paying than the abilities of the player himself. Can't recall much fanfare around Davenport or Armstrong as one is/was an unproven kid at this level and the other was here last season and whilst we were happy to be bringing him back on a permanent hadn't really done it at this level.

The arrival of Palmer, given his Chelsea/Derby/Huddersfield background, was met with significant fanfare on here. Plenty of people hailing it as a top class/brilliant signing.

• Like 1

• Backroom

I’ve missed the last two games, just back from holiday, great great win against Leeds followed by what looks like a poor result.

Really surprised not to see Palmer involved in either game after being influential against Bolton, something a bit odd there wonder if it’s an attitude thing 

• Like 2

I do wonder about Moore's abilities outside of being a 'club man', did really well at the end of season instilling a bit of pride, but they were ultimately dead and buried by that point. They were all over the show at the start of this season and looking at the side they have they should be walking this league really.

Interesting (not very) aside, I remember seeing Moore play for West Brom reserves against Rovers at Morecambe many moons ago, he was an absolute beast of a man, it was like watching one of those American Fridge's run.

Edited by Lancaster Rover

I think we'd have all been quite pleased with 4 points from 9 v Leeds, Swansea and WBA so I'll be very satisfied if we can get a draw. However lose and it is 6 points from 15 so ok but not particularly great.

Not particularly confident given our display in the 2nd half at Swansea and their goalscoring record this season.

More than 1400 sold as of Monday so hopefully pushing 2000 travelling fans, should make a good atmosphere.

• Like 1

Raya

Evans Reed Rothwell

Palmer Brereton Armstrong

Rest time for young Bradley. 

More realistically:

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Evans Reed

Bennett Dack Armstrong

Graham.

• Like 1

Can't see us winning this one realistically. West Brom wounded animal and especially if we have Rothwell wasted on the bench and Brereton wasted out wide. Play Nyambe and Rothwell, use Brereton properly and we might be able to get something. 

5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Baggies fans in despair at the moment. They think Moore doesn't know how to stop the goals going in (a la Mowbray) and think we'll beat them easily.

It's all set up for a 4-0 tonking.

To the Albion

Was thinking similar, vintage Rovers fan mindset.

59 minutes ago, Neal said:

Can't see us winning this one realistically. West Brom wounded animal and especially if we have Rothwell wasted on the bench and Brereton wasted out wide. Play Nyambe and Rothwell, use Brereton properly and we might be able to get something. 

We all see Rothwell as a player, what is it Mowbary does not like about him.

WBA have had a mixed bag of results of late but make no mistake about it, they're a very good side.

If we came away with a draw I'd be over the moon, but I can't see anything but a home win in this one sadly.

WBA 3 Rovers 1

Bit of trivia, The Hawthorns is the highest ground above sea level in the country, I live 15miles away and I still don't get it.....

5 hours ago, USABlue said:

I don't think it's that he doesn't like him more faith in his 'soldiers' that have gotten him this far. Mowbray talks long term about wanting to play more posession football but leaves our most technically gifted player on the bench. Not a criticism, i understand why he does it but sooner or later he's going to have to break up that Smallwood/Evans partnership for Rothwell to play more retention football because Rothwell is simply a better footballer. Graft will only take you so far, we need more quality to control and win that midfield battle because running ourselves ragged for 60 mins is costing us late goals. I'd rather see players like Richie come on when we're trying to protect a lead. I have every faith in Mowbray to make the right decisions eventually. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Neal said:

I don't think it's that he doesn't like him more faith in his 'soldiers' that have gotten him this far. Mowbray talks long term about wanting to play more posession football but leaves our most technically gifted player on the bench. Not a criticism, i understand why he does it but sooner or later he's going to have to break up that Smallwood/Evans partnership for Rothwell to play more retention football because Rothwell is simply a better footballer. Graft will only take you so far, we need more quality to control and win that midfield battle because running ourselves ragged for 60 mins is costing us late goals. I'd rather see players like Richie come on when we're trying to protect a lead. I have every faith in Mowbray to make tye right decisions eventually. 

Really interesting point made of last week's Football Ramble podcast RE Mowbrays time at West Brom - essentially the football was good and won plaudits, but his flat refusal to bring in new talent and the faith in the players that saw him get promoted ultimately got them relegated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gav said:

WBA have had a mixed bag of results of late but make no mistake about it, they're a very good side.

If we came away with a draw I'd be over the moon, but I can't see anything but a home win in this one sadly.

WBA 3 Rovers 1

Bit of trivia, The Hawthorns is the highest ground above sea level in the country, I live 15miles away and I still don't get it.....

I had that once in a Quiz league I was in. I'd have never guessed it was West Brom.

39 minutes ago, J*B said:

Really interesting point made of last week's Football Ramble podcast RE Mowbrays time at West Brom - essentially the football was good and won plaudits, but his flat refusal to bring in new talent and the faith in the players that saw him get promoted ultimately got them relegated.

I also listened to that but I think it was quite the opposite of what people perceive to be a potential issue here. It was more that he got promoted playing passing, possession based football, and didnt compromise on his principles against far better players in a higher league, where they were outclassed. 

Maybe he was stung somewhat like that as people often seem to suggest that hes too loyal to his soldiers, and too pragmatic and conservative when picking teams. Thats the opposite of what happened at West Brom. If you look at many of the players he signed in the summer (Armstrong, Palmer, Brereton, Rothwell and Reed) they are players who are young and energetic, a very different animal from his West Brom team whom with the likes of Brunt and Morrison integral to it, were good technically but often found wanting physically.

2 hours ago, J*B said:

Interesting. Suppose the difference is that was in the Prem, from the way he speaks you can tell he knows we need more quality to get there. Just hope he puts more faith in JR sooner than later, he's the sort of midfielder you build a team around IMV.  

13 hours ago, USABlue said:

A couple of weeks ago he said he when joined he wasn't fit enough so maybe it is that. He likes to dribble with the ball rather than lump it upfield to Graham so it could be that.

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I also listened to that but I think it was quite the opposite of what people perceive to be a potential issue here. It was more that he got promoted playing passing, possession based football, and didnt compromise on his principles against far better players in a higher league, where they were outclassed. 

Maybe he was stung somewhat like that as people often seem to suggest that hes too loyal to his soldiers, and too pragmatic and conservative when picking teams. Thats the opposite of what happened at West Brom. If you look at many of the players he signed in the summer (Armstrong, Palmer, Brereton, Rothwell and Reed) they are players who are young and energetic, a very different animal from his West Brom team whom with the likes of Brunt and Morrison integral to it, were good technically but often found wanting physically.

Armstrong was here last year so he is one of his own and gets in the side regularly. Palmer and Rothwell barely get into the team. Brereton and Reid are played out of position. They may well be energetic and young but he prefers Smallwood, Evans, Graham, even Conway ahead of them. So he isn’t actually using these players.

Despite our good start there is a danger that Mowbray’s intransigence will cost us as teams work us out.