BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

He is responding positive to treatment. I hope he can make a full recovery.

People say dumb things, welcome to the human race....I know there is that concept of reincarnation.  He was probably a bit mixed up in what he was saying or just plain insensitive without really, meaning to be that.

• Like 1

I don't think Hoddle wishes harm on disabled people but as usual people have bizarre beliefs when it comes to religion. Is it any different to believing in the whole concept of Gods or heaven and hell? I think Hoddle is a bit smug and arrogant but once again that's a long list in football. I don't think he's an evil man who walks round yelling at every disabled person he sees and calling them sinners.

As for those saying it's ironic it's really not if you note his specific remarks about being "born with disablities". It's a silly debate anyway. Not getting into it. Have to wonder though if I called Hoddle a prick how fast the mods would have suspended me for it. One rule for some...

Edited by Vinjay17

2 hours ago, Audax said:

He is responding positive to treatment. I hope he can make a full recovery.

People say dumb things, welcome to the human race....I know there is that concept of reincarnation.  He was probably a bit mixed up in what he was saying or just plain insensitive without really, meaning to be that.

I said exactly that. If we were all held to account over every daft thing we've ever said we'd be in a right mess. It's not that it wasn't a bad thing to say just that he's probably asked himself over and over why he said it in the first place and how he managed to come over sounding so crass. 

I hope he makes a quick recovery

• Like 1

• Backroom

Don't get me wrong, I genuinely hope he's alright. I'm not one to wish ill on anyone. I can also understand people thinking that I'm perhaps unfair in holding against him what was a clumsy statement.

But I remember exactly how I felt in that moment as a 7yo deaf catholic child ('sins' being a very loaded word, and ironically enough my Confirmation was coming up), and as far as I'm aware he hasn't done anything to amend it. Perhaps by simply holding his hands up or making a donation to a disability charity.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 2

It was a stupid ill judged thing to say but at the time I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he hadn't meant it to come out that way but he should've kept his daft beliefs to himself.

However in an age where we have to tolerate hate preachers and the scum that follow them standing on street corners in capital cities spouting their filth and do nothing about it yet railroad others for saying poof or pikey or whatever in jest I can't help thinking it shouldn't be held against him he isn't evil he just has odd beliefs.

Always thought he's a great football person though and was a good manager.

Get well soon Glenn.

Just now, tomphil said:

It was a stupid ill judged thing to say but at the time I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he hadn't meant it to come out that way but he should've kept his daft beliefs to himself.

However in an age where we have to tolerate hate preachers and the scum that follow them standing on street corners in capital cities spouting their filth and do nothing about it yet railroad others for saying poof or pikey or whatever in jest I can't help thinking it shouldn't be held against him he isn't evil he just has odd beliefs.

Always thought he's a great football person though and was a good manager.

Get well soon Glenn.

As do I. I wish him nothing but a speedy recovery. Good manager , great player. Daft comment that offended alot of people but he's entitled to his beliefs and comments Just like I stand by my joke, funny or not.

11 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

You could ask Glenn the same question when he made the comment and to answer your question no. No their isn't. I must have raped or murdered someone in a past life also

And for what it's worth it was a joke and I wished him well. 

It was a rather obvious joke repeated by countless other people in the past day. Remember though Batman is famous for having no sense of humour. The Joker has been trying to make him laugh for decades.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

As do I. I wish him nothing but a speedy recovery. Good manager , great player. Daft comment that offended alot of people but he's entitled to his beliefs and comments Just like I stand by my joke, funny or not.

Agreed

Don't get me wrong as someone who has a family member who suffers from what he was alluding to i'd have ripped his head off his shoulders at that moment in time but at the end of the day once calmed down it is what it is, just a dumb comment.  He isn't the first nor last religious brainwashed celeb.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Agreed

Don't get me wrong as someone who has a family member who suffers from what he was alluding to i'd have ripped his head off his shoulders at that moment in time but at the end of the day once calmed down it is what it is, just a dumb comment.  He isn't the first nor last religious brainwashed celeb.

Agreed. To be honest I'm glad once he said it he had the balls to carry it through and stand by what he believes rather than crawl around spitting PR nonsense. 

He rightly lost the England job but as far as I'm concerned that was his punishment and he shouldn't be castigated for the rest of his life.

However Ron atkinson has never been seen since he said nigger yet Glenn is back on the tv. If you changed the word disabled to black in his comments it's a whole different ball game. 

Which opens a whole new debate. According to tv, the fa and the publics reaction it's far worse to discriminate against black people than discriminate against the disabled. When both are equally abhorant. 

Food for thought ....opinions people

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike E said:

Don't get me wrong, I genuinely hope he's alright. I'm not one to wish ill on anyone. I can also understand people thinking that I'm perhaps unfair in holding against him what was a clumsy statement.

But I remember exactly how I felt in that moment as a 7yo deaf catholic child ('sins' being a very loaded word, and ironically enough my Confirmation was coming up), and as far as I'm aware he hasn't done anything to amend it. Perhaps by simply holding his hands up or making a donation to a disability charity.

It's a pretty basic belief in the oriental cultures (I won't call then religions as they don't worship any God) who believe in Karma. These are of course the principals and spiritual guidelines followed by the most peaceful, loving and compassionate nations and cultures in the world.

His comments were taken completely out of context by the monotonous minded press, and of course the even denser public who were left to interpret his already manipulated comments. He has nothing to apologise for, if you read his full comments and have even a miniscule knowledge of eastern philosophical culture, you would realise his comments were absolutely not, nor meant to be, in the least bit offensive. Unfortunately 99.9 percent of people choose to go with the paraphrased uncontextualised quote in a publication they spend half of their time criticising for peddling lies. 

Get well soon Glenn, and fingers crossed he never comes across some of the drivel posted on Twitter in response to his heart attack. In 2018 people really do have less brain cells than characters in their tweets.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

You were obviously a much more devout young Catholic then me and my pals Mike.

We didnt believe a word of it, but was great for getting out of lessons for Mass or putting candles in oranges or whatever.

At the time, yes! However, I think growing up Catholic is why I'm now atheist ?

2 hours ago, Batman. said:

It's a pretty basic belief in the oriental cultures (I won't call then religions as they don't worship any God) who believe in Karma. These are of course the principals and spiritual guidelines followed by the most peaceful, loving and compassionate nations and cultures in the world.

His comments were taken completely out of context by the monotonous minded press, and of course the even denser public who were left to interpret his already manipulated comments. He has nothing to apologise for, if you read his full comments and have even a miniscule knowledge of eastern philosophical culture, you would realise his comments were absolutely not, nor meant to be, in the least bit offensive. Unfortunately 99.9 percent of people choose to go with the paraphrased uncontextualised quote in a publication they spend half of their time criticising for peddling lies. 

Get well soon Glenn, and fingers crossed he never comes across some of the drivel posted on Twitter in response to his heart attack. In 2018 people really do have less brain cells than characters in their tweets.

That’s not exactly true Batman - I mean I fully agree with the idea he was “paraphrased” in a way that made it more offensive. The part I disagree with is the insult element - any national hero/legend/icon in a position of responsibility and respect should have the gravitas to know how those words would’ve been used against him. His arrogance, ignorance or both meant that he chose to discuss those beliefs in public.

That was and still is my problem with his comments back then - it doesn’t take a genius to know those views are best saved for private conversation. He also talked about them on several occasions too - not just simply for the Times/whatever paper it was, on radio and other media.

Get well soon Glen, but I’ll never personally forgive the bloke for making such heinous suggestions. Believe what you want, but when you’re in a position of power/respect and responsibility, think a bit before speaking.

• Like 1