BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Not Hoddle-related but another joke / “unacceptable opinion” censored...

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/10/instagram-deletes-milo-post-said-sad-magabombers-bombs-didnt-work/

How can saying this sort of stuff be in any way "acceptable"? This is about basic decency, not free speech.  Laws in developed nations need tightening so people like him end up in court. 

Just now, Pedro said:

Although extremely low in percentage, I'm sure there are also people with disabilities who share Hoddle's opinions and believe they did something wrong in a past life.  

Personally, I think it's a shame he was hounded out of his job by the holier than thou hypocrites in the media.  

Reporters doing their jobs. England manager coming out with controversial, offensive statements is news - big news.  Where's the hypocrisy ? 

25 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

How can saying this sort of stuff be in any way "acceptable"? This is about basic decency, not free speech.  Laws in developed nations need tightening so people like him end up in court. 

Basic decency vs censorship. It’s a complicated one. Ever seen Chubby Brown or Jimmy Carr?

I’m not condoning what he has said by the way, only the slap-dash approach to censorship. At first IG said it didn’t breach any guidelines then they bowed to complaints.

26 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Reporters doing their jobs. England manager coming out with controversial, offensive statements is news - big news.  Where's the hypocrisy ? 

Reporters peddling their agendas. And the agendas of their readership. Because... let’s have it right... it makes sells papers and makes money. That’s the hypocrisy.

Same as it ever was.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Surely you keep up with current affairs and the improper practices of those hypocritical scumbag hacks?  

It was just one of many stitch ups/hatchet jobs that pretty much every England manager has been subjected to. Glenn Hoddle's views were known and aired well before he took the job - he was an easy target. Sadly, sections of the media make it their mission to throw people under the bus to influence as much as they can and masses of people are too weak minded to see through it. If only a fraction of print space was/is dedicated to dealing with the deeper issues in society, the world would be a better and safer place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Reporters peddling their agendas. And the agendas of their readership. Because... let’s have it right... it makes sells papers and makes money. That’s the hypocrisy.

Same as it ever was.

What agenda did thd Times reporter who interviewed Hoddle have? 

Hoddle came out with his remark out of the blue during the course of the interview. 

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, you can't disprove his comments, just like we can't disprove that suicide bombers arrive in heaven to 100 virgins.

Bloody hell as it gone up to 100 , inflation eh!, might have to start packing my backpak

As for Hoddle it's the FA's fault , why appoint a manager with a criminal record to his name, had they never heard Diamond Lights

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Biz said:

Plus - I’m quite sure science and common sense can say quite easily that disability is nothing to do with reincarnation. It’s immensly arrogant to even consider that others should simply accept the possibility they’re less-able than others for “karma” or spiritual reasons.

Science has no idea. I have explained the reason why numerous times in this thread. 

Ask a Scientest or a Doctor enough questions (which usually isn't many) on a subject and the answer will eventually retort to "we don't know" or "chance." 

Science can tell you the cause of the disability in the body, but not why the body has been subjected to the cause. Some people believe in fate, some in consequence. Nobody knows which, if any, of these two is the reality.

Like I said.. "anything outside of the 0.0003%..."

3 minutes ago, Batman. said:

Science has no idea. I have explained the reason why numerous times in this thread. 

Ask a Scientest or a Doctor enough questions (which usually isn't many) on a subject and the answer will eventually retort to "we don't know" or "chance." 

Science can tell you the cause of the disability in the body, but not why the body has been subjected to the cause. Some people believe in fate, some in consequence. Nobody knows which, if any, of these two is the reality.

Like I said.. "anything outside of the 0.0003%..."

A good scientist will move humanity towards understanding the answers to the questions about free will, the meaning of life etc. By experimentation and research. We know so much more than 50 years ago, but still clutching for basics in terms of space, dark matter etc. Similarly with medicine, we might have some fantastic technology in 2018 but we cannot assume to know every exact cause, or reason a person may suffer a disability.

We don’t say “designer” dogs sight, breathing or walking problems are caused by karma, it’s a result of breeding for aesthetics. Might sound like a crude analogy but they are similar mammals in many ways. 

4 minutes ago, Biz said:

A good scientist will move humanity towards understanding the answers to the questions about free will, the meaning of life etc. By experimentation and research. We know so much more than 50 years ago, but still clutching for basics in terms of space, dark matter etc. Similarly with medicine, we might have some fantastic technology in 2018 but we cannot assume to know every exact cause, or reason a person may suffer a disability.

We don’t say “designer” dogs sight, breathing or walking problems are caused by karma, it’s a result of breeding for aesthetics. Might sound like a crude analogy but they are similar mammals in many ways. 

Until we understand what happens after death we will never know everything. Urgo there will always be God, faith, uncertainty, fatalism.

It’s about time atheists dropped their arrogant faux-certainty and started admitting that they are really agnostic.

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Until we understand what happens after death we will never know everything. Urgo there will always be God, faith, uncertainty, fatalism.

It’s about time atheists dropped their arrogant faux-certainty and started admitting that they are really agnostic.

Exactly. Like I said earlier, whilst the moral code may be very different and viewed upon very differently, Islamic Extremism and Atheism as concepts are both as ridiculous as each other.

21 minutes ago, Biz said:

A good scientist will move humanity towards understanding the answers to the questions about free will, the meaning of life etc.

They won't, because human beings are not biologically equipped to perceive nor understand such things.

There are life forms that will look upon us as and our intellect as if we were less than the smallest piece of bacteria that exists within our band of perception. 

• Backroom

Computer simulation theory is pretty cool. I'm hitching my horse to that wagon. Not sure what description that falls under - technostic?

Did not expect to come into this thread and see such heavy debate/arguments going on. I do wonder how the England team back then would have progressed if Hoddle had stayed on though. He had some really wacky ideas but we looked good in France 98 and still had a solid group of players going into Euro 2000. Whether Hoddle would have lasted past that I don't know, as England managers have always had fairly short shelf lives.

• Like 2

I liked him as England manager and there are times i'd have welcomed him to Ewood , he'd have had to sign a disclaimer to keep his trap shut about his beliefs though. I wonder if they have one in England contracts now post him ? ?

1 minute ago, DE. said:

Computer simulation theory is pretty cool. I'm hitching my horse to that wagon. Not sure what description that falls under - technostic?

Statistically speaking this is the most probable and likely theory that humans have come up with.

It's estimated that by the year 2050 we'll have created AI more intelligent than ourselves. They will be able to understand and perceive things that we, it's creators cannot. 

People often think of "God" as a divine being better than those he created. However, perhaps we were created by a less intelligent being?

What to you is a "brain" may well be to another race nothing more than a microchip.

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

I liked him as England manager and there are times i'd have welcomed him to Ewood , he'd have had to sign a disclaimer to keep his trap shut about his beliefs though. I wonder if they have one in England contracts now post him ? ?

Did he get back into management at all after that? 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did he get back into management at all after that? 

Yep for quite a while I think.

Also had his own academy somewhere, Spain maybe, to give another chance to young players released by clubs.

Proper football man,

• Like 1

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, Batman. said:

Statistically speaking this is the most probable and likely theory that humans have come up with.

It's estimated that by the year 2050 we'll have created AI more intelligent than ourselves. They will be able to understand and perceive things that we, it's creators cannot. 

People often think of "God" as a divine being better than those he created. However, perhaps we were created by a less intelligent being?

What to you is a "brain" may well be to another race nothing more than a microchip.

The logic behind the theory is surprisingly sound. It's an interesting rabbit hole to go down. If I'm an NPC I'm probably okay with that. If I'm the primary character then something's gone wrong somewhere.

1 minute ago, DE. said:

The logic behind the theory is surprisingly sound. It's an interesting rabbit hole to go down. If I'm an NPC I'm probably okay with that. If I'm the primary character then something's gone wrong somewhere.

Absolutely, it seems incredibly obvious when you analyse with a little bit of depth, but again, we can only analyse such things with an incredibly limited bandwidth of perception.

Taking into account that we are capable of creating and running simulations, along with the fact there is (beyond reasonable doubt) more intelligent life forms than ourselves (including in our direct surroundings that we cannot perceive) who can also create simulations (more advanced and detailed than our own), there can only be one "base reality." The stastical possibility of that being our own "reality" is incredibly low.

Physics therefore would just be "rules of the software," which again, makes perfect sense.

Get well soon Glenn.

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Batman. said:

Absolutely, it seems incredibly obvious when you analyse with a little bit of depth, but again, we can only analyse such things with an incredibly limited bandwidth of perception.

Taking into account that we are capable of creating and running simulations, along with the fact there is (beyond reasonable doubt) more intelligent life forms than ourselves (including in our direct surroundings that we cannot perceive) who can also create simulations (more advanced and detailed than our own), there can only be one "base reality." The stastical possibility of that being our own "reality" is incredibly low.

Physics therefore would just be "rules of the software," which again, makes perfect sense.

Get well soon Glenn.

That's the crux of it. Even more compelling when you get down to the lowest levels of physics and it starts to become pretty hazy and chaotic, like it was only programmed to a certain level of complexity. Obviously we only see things through a very limited scope, but quantum physics is pretty wild.

Computer simulation at its core isn't a new concept though. It goes all the way back to Descartes and Cartesian philosophy, but now we're going way off track.

To tie it back to Glenn, reincarnation is just respawning. I guess to Glenn when we respawn our former stats are carried over, like NG+ mode in RPGs. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DE. said:

That's the crux of it. Even more compelling when you get down to the lowest levels of physics and it starts to become pretty hazy and chaotic, like it was only programmed to a certain level of complexity. Obviously we only see things through a very limited scope, but quantum physics is pretty wild.

Computer simulation at its core isn't a new concept though. It goes all the way back to Descartes and Cartesian philosophy, but now we're going way off track.

To tie it back to Glenn, reincarnation is just respawning. I guess to Glenn when we respawn our former stats are carried over, like NG+ mode in RPGs. 

In it's purest form the Simulation Theory goes back as far as 500 odd BC I think, but we're risking getting all Brent/ Dostoevsky now. You remember that we were talking about Dostoevsky earlier? Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoyevsky. Born 1821. Died 1881.