BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Preston tickets

21 minutes ago, CP Company Lad said:

Aye that's right. Think it was 2002. Too many decent size towns are now called Cities. Ridiculous imo. A City should have a population of at least 300,000 people or a proper cathedral. Preston is good sized town with decent shopping and boozers. I think the new shopping ctr in Blackburn is better since its been done up. Blackburn has a better market. Preston far better for boozers. Burnley offers nothing. Shit shopping shit boozers. Even lost its 24 hour AE department to Blackburn and has a BB postcode. Burnley to Blackburn is like Chorley to Preston. 

and we have a cathedral, what more do we need to do lol

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, CP Company Lad said:

Aye that's right. Think it was 2002. Too many decent size towns are now called Cities. Ridiculous imo. A City should have a population of at least 300,000 people or a proper cathedral. Preston is good sized town with decent shopping and boozers. I think the new shopping ctr in Blackburn is better since its been done up. Blackburn has a better market. Preston far better for boozers. Burnley offers nothing. Shit shopping shit boozers. Even lost its 24 hour AE department to Blackburn and has a BB postcode. Burnley to Blackburn is like Chorley to Preston. 

You can come again!

Got family in and around Preston, and a soft spot for the place, so always an 'interesting' match for the family. 

Sadly, can't make it this time due to a work commitment.

Three previous matches stand out for me at Deepdale. 

A misty Saturday in either Nov or Dec 1967 when we hammered them 5-3 and there was quite a bit of nasty crowd aggro that day.  Seem to recall 'give us a goal' Barry Hole notching at least once that day.  Goodness knows what the likes of Keith Newton, Mike Ferguson, Eamonn Rogers and Barry Hole would be worth today - now they were players.

Kendall's second season (1980/81) when we missed promotion back to Div 1 (now PL) on goal diff..  I put it down to the 0-0 at Preston with only two matches remaining after that match.  We missed some chances that night and it might have been Marshall Burke who missed a sitter at the Town End in the 2nd half when it was easier to score.  Won that and we'd have gone up.

May 2001 and happier times when Souey's lot took us back to the PL.

Will be disappointing if we don't sell our full allocation for this one.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Apart from the Lambert first game, when was the last time we took 5,000+ to a league match anywhere?

Wigan mid 2000s, perhaps?

Took 4000 to Bury last season didn’t we? Best atmosphere at an away game I can recall recently, but the 2.5/3 who came to Doncaster will probably remember that more fondly as I do, for obvious reasons.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Apart from the Lambert first game, when was the last time we took 5,000+ to a league match anywhere?

Wigan mid 2000s, perhaps?

Probably Wigan in Hughes time although they did cut the allocation back a bit after that for some reason and we've had a few sell outs there and Bolton so there's been the probability  of a few that were not possible due to lack of enough allocation.

Edited by tomphil

39 minutes ago, Biz said:

Took 4000 to Bury last season didn’t we? Best atmosphere at an away game I can recall recently, but the 2.5/3 who came to Doncaster will probably remember that more fondly as I do, for obvious reasons.

There was 4000 at Doncaster mate. 

Doncaster was capped initially, but they relented in the end and we got the full 4K.

My point being I certainly don’t think a sell out is a given like some on here, as we have very rarely taken 5,500 away in the past decade.

Edited by Mattyblue

7 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Have we not sold over 5k when going to Bolton? We've sold out as recently as the prem relegation season, so if the capacity is enough then we'd have reached it.

We've sold out Bolton a few times over the last ten years but the allocation has varied anywhere between 3.5 and 4.5 as they always leave segregation at one side in the lower.   Similar Wigan used to be over 5k but was cut down.

Apart from this season at Bolton bizarrely.

Edited by tomphil

There was another occasion at Wigan in the League Cup a few years earlier when we had the side stand opposite the dugout so must have had way over 5000 there. I didn't realise that the away end at Wigan held 5000+ but according to the website it is 5500 but is usually capped at less than 5000 to prevent overcrowding on the concourses. Wigan's ground has serious problems with crowding on the concourses and in the toilets and I'm amazed they built the ground like that when it would have been so easy to make it larger and safer.

Preston I think ticks a lot more boxes than the other derby games. Obviously it's closer than Wigan and much easier to do by train/taxi, also more of a historical rivalry/connection between the clubs and probably impacts more directly on a lot of Rovers fans who live in the Preston area. On top of that it is a day out with some decent pubs which you don't really get at Bolton. And they've succeeded in ruining the Burnley fixture with their OTT measures that a lot wouldn't go to that if tickets were free these days.

Wigan and Bolton have had decent followings there this season albeit not sell-outs and we should be getting more than them on there.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 2

Remember the Wigan game under Souness in the cup and all that side stand but there was a lot netted off along the front but still 5k+ in there. Strange really how Wigan don't allocate that stand to away fans anymore i'm sure a few would have a good stab at filling it.

Good job they don't have Cheston & Waggot in charge or else.............

Just now, tomphil said:

Remember the Wigan game under Souness in the cup and all that side stand but there was a lot netted off along the front but still 5k+ in there. Strange really how Wigan don't allocate that stand to away fans anymore i'm sure a few would have a good stab at filling it.

Good job they don't have Cheston & Waggot in charge or else.............

I'm guessing they only did it with us because it was the Cup and at the time they were a 3rd tier side/poor 2nd tier side whilst we were in the Prem. Doubt they'd get away with it in the League. Don't recall them having done it on any other occasion, certainly not since they got to the Prem. Their 'ultras' now occupy that stand....

Just now, tomphil said:

We've sold out Bolton a few times over the last ten years but the allocation has varied anywhere between 3.5 and 4.5 as they always leave segregation at one side in the lower.  Similar Wigan used to be over 5k but was cut down.

Apart from this season at Bolton bizarrely.

Guess that just goes to show how rarely you even get the chance to even sell those numbers even when the demand is there. Would be interesting to see how many times Man United do a season now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

There was another occasion at Wigan in the League Cup a few years earlier when we had the side stand opposite the dugout so must have had way over 5000 there. I didn't realise that the away end at Wigan held 5000+ but according to the website it is 5500 but is usually capped at less than 5000 to prevent overcrowding on the concourses. Wigan's ground has serious problems with crowding on the concourses and in the toilets and I'm amazed they built the ground like that when it would have been so easy to make it larger and safer.

Preston I think ticks a lot more boxes than the other derby games. Obviously it's closer than Wigan and much easier to do by train/taxi, also more of a historical rivalry/connection between the clubs and probably impacts more directly on a lot of Rovers fans who live in the Preston area. On top of that it is a day out with some decent pubs which you don't really get at Bolton. And they've succeeded in ruining the Burnley fixture with their OTT measures that a lot wouldn't go to that if tickets were free these days.

Wigan and Bolton have had decent followings there this season albeit not sell-outs and we should be getting more than them on there.

Trains are on strike

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Trains are on strike

Can't be much longer on the bus. Through Hoghton and Higher Walton. Trains are a joke. Only over your side though. Problems we had getting to Blackburn and same on Sunday at Wigan. 

Only a few miles between Blackburn and Preston. I'd be getting 3 mates together and paying a young lad to drive you there and stop off for a booze in Bamber Bridge en route. Put a tenner in the tank and give him a tenner each. He's got £30 in his pocket and you have a nice booze. Done this loads of times at Huddersfield Bradford and Barnsley over the years.

Money and stress/time saving tips courtesy of CP.