BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I'd have expected Lenihan to be more likely to play than Mulgrew to be honest. Tony was saying last week before West Brom there was a chance Lenihan was going to be fit so I'd hope with a weekend off and a rest this week he'll be ready to go.

I think Graham and Dack will play but not finish 90 minutes of the game. 

But if Dack wasnt fit along with Mulgrew and Graham I would go like this

Luetwiler

Nyambe Lenihan Rodwell Williams

Reed Evans

Armstrong       Palmer       Bennett

Brereton

Subs:- Fisher Bell Travis Conway Rothwell Smallwood Nuttall

• Like 1

At the end of the day, as good and as crucial as Dack and Graham are, Mowbray SHOULD be confident with the resources hes been allowed to improve us in forward areas, with Brereton, Armstrong and Rothwell coming for a large sum of money combined, and Palmer being a very clever loan addition. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's testament to the squad Tony has built that we aren't all freaking out about ;Dack, Lenihan and Mulgrew not playing. I wouldn't mind seeing Palmer start, with Dack coming on. I reckon it would suit Dack. 

I partially disagree. Dack and Graham ive touched on above you have a point on, but we are horribly short at centre back. An injury to the prone Mulgrew and Lenihan and we are pitifully short beneath that. Same at right back, and obvious worries with Leutweiler coming in.

If Dacks fit enough, he has to start aswell.

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

At the end of the day, as good and as crucial as Dack and Graham are, Mowbray SHOULD be confident with the resources hes been allowed to improve us in forward areas, with Brereton, Armstrong and Rothwell coming for a large sum of money combined, and Palmer being a very clever loan addition. 

I partially disagree. Dack and Graham ive touched on above you have a point on, but we are horribly short at centre back. An injury to the prone Mulgrew and Lenihan and we are pitifully short beneath that. Same at right back, and obvious worries with Leutweiler coming in.

I don't think we are weak at right back. Nyambe is fit and we have Bennett and Tavis to cover. If both Lenihan and Mulgrew are out I agree it's bad, but it sounds like at least 1 of them will be fit, meaning Rodwell, Downing or Williams can fill in. 

Re Dack. I remember last season near the end he played when unfit, it was very apparent. Rather than that this year, I would prefer Palmer to play. He had more about him than Payne did. Dack coming on around the 60 minute mark couldsuit him. Game stretched, QPR tiring, their players not knowing who to pick up or at least not doubling up on him. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

55 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

surely if Dack isn't 100% fit then he should be starting and coming off the bench could be the right tactic to used. 

We do have strength in depth now and we are covered in every department and I don't see the centre back as a problem even I would agree with need another one in. 

Why do you have worries about Leutwiler come in? can you please explain further? thanks in advance for answering the question 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Graham and Dack will play but not finish 90 minutes of the game. 

But if Dack wasnt fit along with Mulgrew and Graham I would go like this

Luetwiler

Nyambe Lenihan Rodwell Williams

Reed Evans

Armstrong       Palmer       Bennett

Brereton

Subs:- Fisher Bell Travis Conway Rothwell Smallwood Nuttall

Think that will be very close to the lineup - bar maybe DG for BB and Bell on for Williams (simply because we dont have a CB on the bench and we need to be more attacking at home). 

44 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think we are weak at right back. Nyambe is fit and we have Bennett and Tavis to cover. If both Lenihan and Mulgrew are out I agree it's bad, but it sounds like at least 1 of them will be fit, meaning Rodwell, Downing or Williams can fill in. 

Re Dack. I remember last season near the end he played when unfit, it was very apparent. Rather than that this year, I would prefer Palmer to play. He had more about him than Payne did. Dack coming on around the 60 minute mark couldsuit him. Game stretched, QPR tiring, their players not knowing who to pick up or at least not doubling up on him. 

Reed too spent most of last season at RB. This kid is like a younger Bennett.

Should be in CM though in my opinion - much the same i think Bennett should.

• Like 1

I dont think we miss Dack as much as we would have last season. When playing he is tripled up on and he has not really been able to get at it in recent games (though been out of position for a couple). We have a like for like in Palmer who looked very good last time out - so if Dack is not nailed on fitness wise, i dont think we would lose out too much. Still vital and a gamechanger of course. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

surely if Dack isn't 100% fit then he should be starting and coming off the bench could be the right tactic to used. 

We do have strength in depth now and we are covered in every department and I don't see the centre back as a problem even I would agree with need another one in. 

Why do you have worries about Leutwiler come in? can you please explain further? thanks in advance for answering the question 

Centre back has to be a problem. Chaddy youve contradicted yourself saying we are covered in every position but we need a centre back. Im not one for overrelying on players who can do a job in positions, we need at least one recognised centre back who is good enough beside from the injury prone Mulgrew and Lenihan. If its for 1 game or half a game we might get away with it. Same with right back, I dont feel comfortable with Bennett there and felt we was shown up down his side v Swansea and Sheffield United. Travis is seen as a midfielder, as is Reed.

Dack is a goal threat even when hes not firing on all cylinders. The best aspect of his game is his goal poaching, hes our primary goal threat. Obviously if hes not fit enough leave him out, otherwise he has to start, youve hinted at leaving him out before news of this injury I believe Bigdoggsteel (may have the wrong person so apologies if so) but its simple with him. If hes fit he has to play.

Leutweiler was discarded by Shrewsbury a year and a half ago and hasnt really played since. That said I dont think sub goalkeeper is easy to fill.

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Centre back has to be a problem. Chaddy youve contradicted yourself saying we are covered in every position but we need a centre back. Im not one for overrelying on players who can do a job in positions, we need at least one recognised centre back who is good enough beside from the injury prone Mulgrew and Lenihan. If its for 1 game or half a game we might get away with it. Same with right back, I dont feel comfortable with Bennett there and felt we was shown up down his side v Swansea and Sheffield United. Travis is seen as a midfielder, as is Reed.

Dack is a goal threat even when hes not firing on all cylinders. The best aspect of his game is his goal poaching, hes our primary goal threat. Obviously if hes not fit enough leave him out, otherwise he has to start, 

Leutweiler was discarded by Shrewsbury a year and a half ago and hasnt really played since. That said I dont think sub goalkeeper is easy to fill.

Yes I am happy with all of our options. Yes I after a centre with more qualities and provide to competition to Mulgrew and Lenihan who are 1st choice. 

On Bennett, I think he is good at right backs but he got exposed by Sheff United but they are a quality side and thats why they are top of the league. 

I wouldnt start if he isnt 100%. Dont want to risk a more serious injury. 

A back up keeper here wouldnt play much with Raya in the team. He did keep a number of clean sheets for his Shrewsbury team and I believe he kept a record of clean sheets

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

On Bennett, I think he is good at right backs but he got exposed by Sheff United

Disgraceful post. I am outraged. Mowbray got his team selection and tactics wrong and left Bennett exposed. Look at the cause not the symptoms. 

Biz, have a word with him. I know you too have been scarred by the Sheff Utd game because you keep bringing it up, albeit in a more precious way.

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Dack is a goal threat even when hes not firing on all cylinders. The best aspect of his game is his goal poaching, hes our primary goal threat. Obviously if hes not fit enough leave him out, otherwise he has to start, youve hinted at leaving him out before news of this injury I believe Bigdoggsteel (may have the wrong person so apologies if so) but its simple with him. If hes fit he has to play.

I did. I just don't think Dack has played as well as he can this year yet, I agree about his goals though. Palmer has been good in his recent cameos. I think coming into a game could suit Dack and I reckon he could do serious damage. For one game it could be effective, especially as the opposition will definitely be preparing for Dack to start 

Mowbray is tempering the expectation levels. I think he is right as there have been a few getting carried away with results and performances.

Tomorrow will be extremely tough against an uncompromising side who come into the game in excellent form.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17195536.rovers-boss-on-managing-expectations-ahead-of-qpr-visit/?ref=mac

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Mowbray is tempering the expectation levels. I think he is right as there have been a few getting carried away with results and performances.

Tomorrow will be extremely tough against an uncompromising side who come into the game in excellent form.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17195536.rovers-boss-on-managing-expectations-ahead-of-qpr-visit/?ref=mac

It will be tougher than many would expect but at the same time, QPR is a team that many would feel we should be finishing above and beating. We have had a tough run of games and now we have two that at home that we 'should' be going out to win rather than respecting them too much. I think his words are more aimed towards the players anyway, making sure they dont drop their levels or get complacent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I am happy with all of our options. Yes I after a centre with more qualities and provide to competition to Mulgrew and Lenihan who are 1st choice. 

On Bennett, I think he is good at right backs but he got exposed by Sheff United but they are a quality side and thats why they are top of the league. 

I wouldnt start if he isnt 100%. Dont want to risk a more serious injury. 

A back up keeper here wouldnt play much with Raya in the team. He did keep a number of clean sheets for his Shrewsbury team and I believe he kept a record of clean sheets

Weve done the debate of you being happy with people who can do a job there and me being less happy, but the fact that you admitted that youd like another natural centre back suggests you arent totally convinced yourself. I do think its an area that Mowbray needed to but failed to rectify in the summer. If we are without our 2 main centre backs tomorrow, that would cause any team a problem, but due to an understandable distrust in our only other centre back, we will have no recognised, natural centre backs and that has to be a concern. A left back and a central midfielder would be a worry together.

You mention Bennett v Sheff United but not Swansea when he was hapless, sliding in too often and forever out of position. As our second choice in that position you wouldnt want him there in this league for a decent period of time.

Agree on Dack, im saying that if hes not fit enough leave him out of the 18. Dont do neither one thing nor the other and use him as a sub.

On the sub keeper, I acknowledged the difficulty of signing a competent and willing sub keeper but also it surely goes without serving why id be a bit more nervous with a keeper whose barely played in over a year and one with hardly a glittering CV.

42 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I did. I just don't think Dack has played as well as he can this year yet, I agree about his goals though. Palmer has been good in his recent cameos. I think coming into a game could suit Dack and I reckon he could do serious damage. For one game it could be effective, especially as the opposition will definitely be preparing for Dack to start 

Im not convinced that Dack is the type of player to be an impact sub. I dont think if hes fit enough that you can justify not starting him, or alternatively risking him if hes not fit enough. I dont think his performance levels have been lower than last season, his main asset has always been his goals, there were plenty of games last season where he wasnt massively impacting a game but you cant argue with his 1 in 2 record so far this season.

I agree on Palmer, and I do feel that although I still think Dack and Graham, both individually and as a pair, are a step or 2 up from all of our other attacking players, Mowbrays spent lots of money on bringing 4 new attacking players to the club, so we should have enough to cover their occasional absences. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You forgot to mention Bennett's horrific performance at Swansea. He is not a right back he's out of position and dives in far too often and he is also skinned too easily at times. Sides target him there like they used to Nyambe. We have competition at left back why not at right back?

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Look like Lenihan has little chance of playing. 

Lets hope Mulgrew trains as we need him tomorrow if Graham or Dack arent playing. 

Screenshot_20181102-091202_Twitter.jpg

Or you could just keep it simple and bench Bennett for Nyambe.