BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

44 minutes ago, philipl said:

The Bowyer squad was significantly better than this one but Mowbray is a proper football manager.

Yes play-off slots are there for the taking and automatic promotion is if we have an exceptional January window through concertinaing the three window strategy into one.

No reason to assume we would not pick up PL loanee gems again next season; getting Reed signed is going to be a high priority Sparky please.

No there is no reason to assume Mowbray would be a nearly man

Bowyer was a poor manager , who should have done a lot better !

• Like 1

Probably our worst performance of the season yet one of the best results. QPR were really difficult opponents with two solid banks of four/five and spoiling tactics. We had several players off the pace but showed resilience and attitude once again. I like games like this when we win because that's the name of the game.

I thought Lenihan and Williams were outstanding today.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, AdamRochina said:

if we played rothwell and palmer today we win at a canter easy as qpr were appaling

Did you watch the game? Palmer was atrocious and Rothwell did very little. These aren't players that can be relied on. We won today because of pure grit and the fact we stayed in the game long enough to nick a penalty. It wasn't pretty but it's 3 points. . 

Huge win coming into this month, one in which we should be targeting maximum points. Absolute joke of a ref but these are the results that potentially determine the courses of seasons.

One great moment was deep in injury time when Reed did a massive fist pump following a great block — passion all over the pitch with this team

• Like 2

Very, very poor game, but happy tonight as results are all that matter.

Mowbray is right to point out that the referee was really poor, bit of a jobsworth really. But hes also benefited from a penalty that never was, and needs to look closer to home in terms of a negative team selection that led to a laborious and slow performance, with the ball constantly going slowly sideways and backwards. That said, the team spirit hes generated is what ground out that win.

Its difficult to cast too much of a judgement on the defence in that QPR were totally toothless and clearly intent on getting a nil nil. Leutweiler could have stayed on the bench still, Smallwood could have stayed in net! Bennett was untested in the main but his tendency to dive in is a constant source of worry. Bell was the worst player on the pitch for me, so terrified to run at his man, constantly turned back or gave the ball away and so one-footed its untrue. Lenihan was a colossus and deserved his man of the match award, Williams was ok but the difference is stark with Mulgrew on the ball, and a clear factor in our inability to pass the ball through the lines. I've always thought that our best defence is Nyambe to come back in at right back, with Williams at left back, and the obvious 2 at centre back.

Evans had possibly his worst performance of the season, kept giving the ball away, and him and Smallwood being selected together were a fundamental reason behind the game being so boring and slow, we needed a Reed or even a Rodwell in there at home in a winnable game. Armstrong wasnt clever enough to take advantage of the fact that he had such an obvious pace advantage on Angel Rangel, and when he did get around him his end product was poor. Reed was industrious as ever and my favourite part of the game apart from the goal and the final whistle was Reeds tackle at the end followed by him celebrating like hed scored a goal.

Dack was poor and got really frustrated towards the end but kept his cool to slot home the penalty and his time wasting at the end was brilliant to watch, such a clever player. Graham was not given any service but should have scored in the first minute.

And to the subs, thought Palmer and Rothwell were both pretty poor when they came on, Palmer did some good work tracking back but he was ponderous on the ball. Brereton was bright when he came on, went wide once or twice and gave the ball away with terrible crosses to no one, but looked a real threat in behind when he moved central (where he seemed to be more often than not, bit of a curveball to suggest hes just being considered wide?) and did some excellent work to kill time with Dack. And obviously he earnt the penalty with what was a blatant dive. More signs that suggest to me that I'd really like to see him as a number 9 ahead of Dack. His running in behind could cause problems as it did when he was impressing at Forest.

• Like 3

Lenihan showed again today that he is an absolute colossus for us. He does the defending of 2 men at times, rarely loses a header and sticks his head where others won't even stick their feet. Superb performance. Williams was also excellent. They both gave Leutwiler an easy afternoon. 

Evans again was excellent against some good players in Eze, Luongo and Freeman. Smallwood also stuck to his task manfully. It's hard to overestimate just how much work those two do for the team. Reed got stuck in too, he's like a more forward thinking Evans. Dogs of War all three of three of them (The new Holy Trinity :-))

Dack showed his class at times and I never thought for one minute he'd miss that pen. He gets very little quality ball but always looks to make things happen when he does. His cameo in the corner to waste time at the end was brilliant. A lesson in how to run the clock down.

Armstrong again showed he's growing into the left-wing role but again suffers from a lack of quality passes to him. As a team that is our biggest downfall. 

Can't say I'm totally convinced about Bell but I thought it was a pen in the first half. Their guy seemed to push him then get the ball.

Great cameo from BB, he gave them something else to think about. Rothwell has a lot to learn and Palmer is just a showboater who was so off the pace today it was scary. 

We are what we are. Not pretty, and today painfully dull, but no team works harder to get 3 points. 

Brilliant win!

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Meaningless clichés. Bowyer has a very good record as manager.

Think my point is a little off. The team he had was better than this one but I think similar problems are happening. Back then you could see Cairney was a good player but shifted out wide. Same with king who could add a different dimension to the other options back then but never used properly. Now both are in the prem holding their own.

There are certain players in this team that can go up that 10%-20% if used properly. Reed for example should be in ahead of Smallwood all day long. 

Brereton gets put on the wing instead of up front. It worked today but doesn't usually. I also get the feeling Mowbray will never sub a Dack from the game even if it benifited the team.

For example going two up front to win a game or in the past when he's clearly looked tired during games. I do get frustrated because the top 6 is there for the taking this year and once you get there. Anything can happen. There may not be a building on top of what we do this season chance next year.

• Like 1

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Lenihan showed again today that he is an absolute colossus for us. He does the defending of 2 men at times, rarely loses a header and sticks his head where others won't even stick their feet. Superb performance. Williams was also excellent. They both gave Leutwiler an easy afternoon. 

Evans again was excellent against some good players in Eze, Luongo and Freeman. Smallwood also stuck to his task manfully. It's hard to overestimate just how much work those two do for the team. Reed got stuck in too, he's like a more forward thinking Evans. Dogs of War all three of three of them (The new Holy Trinity :-))

Dack showed his class at times and I never thought for one minute he'd miss that pen. He gets very little quality ball but always looks to make things happen when he does. His cameo in the corner to waste time at the end was brilliant. A lesson in how to run the clock down.

Armstrong again showed he's growing into the left-wing role but again suffers from a lack of quality passes to him. As a team that is our biggest downfall. 

Can't say I'm totally convinced about Bell but I thought it was a pen in the first half. Their guy seemed to push him then get the ball.

Great cameo from BB, he gave them something else to think about. Rothwell has a lot to learn and Palmer is just a showboater who was so off the pace today it was scary. 

We are what we are. Not pretty, and today painfully dull, but no team works harder to get 3 points. 

Brilliant win!

Quite surprised you think Evans was excellent, personally thought he was as bad as hes been all season. He's usually the one who is more likely to play passes through to Dack and find him in space in between the lines, but I thought he was really poor on the ball today and constantly gave the ball away.

Think you are a little harsh to call Palmer a showboater and he also did do running going back but he certainly was off the pace when on the ball, both him and Rothwell did nothing really.

Agreed with your other comments on Bell, Brereton, Dack and the centre backs.

• Like 1

3 points gained, 1 point off the top 6, played poorly. Brereton won the penalty.

Who wouldn't have taken the situation we now find ourselves in at the end of July?

It's not all hunky dory admittedly but at long last we've something to look forward to and debate.

Long may it continue.

COYB!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Quite surprised you think Evans was excellent, personally thought he was as bad as hes been all season. He's usually the one who is more likely to play passes through to Dack and find him in space in between the lines, but I thought he was really poor on the ball today and constantly gave the ball away.

Think you are a little harsh to call Palmer a showboater and he also did do running going back but he certainly was off the pace when on the ball, both him and Rothwell did nothing really.

He was firefighting today, QPR had some very mobile midfielders. I thought he did it very well. I was commenting more on his work rate and interceptions rather than his passing. As an attacking force we were awful all over the pitch. 

Palmer is a strange one. Undoubted ability on the ball and he did work hard but his mind seems elsewhere when the ball comes to him. The groans were long and deep in the JW by the time he lost the ball for the tenth time?

Just now, 4000Holes said:

So much negativity on here tonight.  Not entertaining enough, not going forward enough, etc.  

Today was an absolutely massive result and cannot be underestimated. Lose and we would be looking over our shoulder, win as we did, and we are looking up.  For entertaining games it takes 2 teams to entertain but QPR came to spoil and in fairness they did and very nearly succeeded.

Credit is due to players and management for grinding this out.

Agreed. The glass is very much 'half full' IMO. Some need a reality check!

Just now, 4000Holes said:

So much negativity on here tonight.  Not entertaining enough, not going forward enough, etc.  

Today was an absolutely massive result and cannot be underestimated. Lose and we would be looking over our shoulder, win as we did, and we are looking up.  For entertaining games it takes 2 teams to entertain but QPR came to spoil and in fairness they did and very nearly succeeded.

Credit is due to players and management for grinding this out.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/november/a-horrible-game-but-a-vital-three-points/

Even the manager has described it as "a horrible game" and said that we need to "move on and produce a better performance next week." So he is being "negative" too. The performance was poor, theres no dressing that up. Of course the result is the important thing and people have acknowledged that.

• Like 1

Reaction from TM on an 'ugly, horrible game' and a #Rovers performance that won't live long in the memory https://t.co/c6zoJwNVdu

"It was a pretty poor horrible football match."

#Blackburn manager Tony Mowbray battles the fireworks after his team's hard-fought 1-0 win over QPR.

#Rovers #BBCFootball #BBCLancsSport https://t.co/R8hLLaAqWn

1 minute ago, darrenrover said:

Agreed. The glass is very much 'half full' IMO. Some need a reality check!

Mowbray must be one of them and the match summarisers on Radio Lancs too. Everyone has said it was a dull game. That's being kind. Nobody has said they didn't enjoy the 3 points though. Give yer head a reality check. 

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Reaction from TM on an 'ugly, horrible game' and a #Rovers performance that won't live long in the memory https://t.co/c6zoJwNVdu

"It was a pretty poor horrible football match."

#Blackburn manager Tony Mowbray battles the fireworks after his team's hard-fought 1-0 win over QPR.

#Rovers #BBCFootball #BBCLancsSport https://t.co/R8hLLaAqWn

How dare he be so negative after we've won?

• Like 1

If I was in the pub folk would be going: 

‘shite that, didn’t get forward enough etc etc... but glad for the win’ 

Mowbray slaughtered the game, Said it was ‘horrible, ugly’, that he was ‘disappointed with the performance, but glad to put the points in the bag’.

Just like on here then! So I’ve no idea why people are trying to constantly derail threads with this ‘sooo negative on here’ crap, but it’s getting extremely tiresome.

• Like 7

it was a boring game and both teams off the pace. McClaren came for a point and didn't get one. they missed Hemed clearly. 

Rovers were slow and no movement attacking wise. Armstrong was awful and made the wrong runs a lot of the time. Graham, Dack and Evans were awful. 

Lenihan and Williams were excellent and gave Wells and Smith nothing all game. Leutwiler did the basics right and had a easy game. no saves to make. 

Brereton finally got on and make some good runs and won us the penalty. Dack slotted home. 

Good win when we wasn't playing well. 

• Like 5