BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

12 months?? Yes in league 1, against the likes of Oldham & Swindon hardly a challenge. Said this for a while, Smallwood & Evans do not work!! Who ever thinks they do does not have a clue.

I'd say whoever thinks we played Swindon in league one last year doesnt have a clue!

• Like 4

On ifollow thought it looked a pen first time. Rewatched it a few times and less convinced but definately a foul based on what todays referee was giving outside of the area...

Was a frustrating game - better finishing and it could easily have been 2 or 3. Tough weather but so many poor crossfield balls.

Diasgree about Smallwood and Evans - think they work as we have Arma, Dack and Graham to do the fancy stuff. Wouldn't argue with Reed in middle but don't think Smallwood or Evans stood out as being particularly bad today.

As for TM and "caution" - think about our back 4 today. Wouldn't you also want to protect them... ??

Watched the Sky replay 3 times and its definitely a pen! Clumsy and unnecessary challenge from the QPR defender, Brereton was running out of room and 3 defenders round him.

I don't think Brereton even played for it.

A reward for making  a determined run in the box. Good on him!

• Like 2

Definitely saw glimpses of Brereton's strengths today. Get him running at defenders and he's a handful. Still not seen any threat of him scoring goals, but hopefully that will come.

What did everyone think of the Bell penalty shout? Looks a blatant pen from where I was sat.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

On ifollow thought it looked a pen first time. Rewatched it a few times and less convinced but definately a foul based on what todays referee was giving outside of the area...

Was a frustrating game - better finishing and it could easily have been 2 or 3. Tough weather but so many poor crossfield balls.

Diasgree about Smallwood and Evans - think they work as we have Arma, Dack and Graham to do the fancy stuff. Wouldn't argue with Reed in middle but don't think Smallwood or Evans stood out as being particularly bad today.

As for TM and "caution" - think about our back 4 today. Wouldn't you also want to protect them... ??

You think smallwood & Evans work??? So what your saying is your happy with how the line up was today? Your happy with reed on the wing & not in the centre. Happy with Smallwood and Evans playing sideways and backwards? Happy with rothwell & palmer sat on the bench? Come off it please 

Just now, OJRovers said:

Definitely saw glimpses of Brereton's strengths today. Get him running at defenders and he's a handful. Still not seen any threat of him scoring goals, but hopefully that will come.

What did everyone think of the Bell penalty shout? Looks a blatant pen from where I was sat.

Yes that was a penny, more so than the brereton penny. 

Nice that we can have off days from Graham and Dack, no Raya or Chico and still look comfortable against a top-half in-form side.

Think we are going to have to get used to grinding teams down at home again - the cat’s out of the bag that we’re a good side. Many times last season we’d have a flat performance against a parked bus but we always found a way to win... I think we still have the ability and belief to do that.

On the penalty... it’s technically a foul. There’s contact, kind of sweeps the leg, but it did take some buying. An intelligent modern striker hits the deck there every time and it was very well won. It’s the kind of penalty that I decry as disgusting and everything wrong with the modern game when it goes against us, but seeing as though it was Big Ben it was a stonewaller and I’m delighted.

Beautifully closed out at the end by B.B. and Dack.

I’m only looking up.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 3

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

You think smallwood & Evans work??? So what your saying is your happy with how the line up was today? Your happy with reed on the wing & not in the centre. Happy with Smallwood and Evans playing sideways and backwards? Happy with rothwell & palmer sat on the bench? Come off it please 

What i am saying is what i wrote. Don't embellish it. Not sure about Reed out wide - with Bennett at RB then i can understand it. 

Evans  and Smallwood passed forward when somebody showed for it and got free - otherwise retained posession. Some sloppy passing but not alone in that today. Some good tackling and pressuring to break up play - not helped by a ref allergic to tackling...

As said - wouldn't argue with Reed in middle but don't think Evans and Smallwood have been that bad.

I thought the two Rep of Ireland lads in the heart of the defence were superb. I love watching Rovers these days even when the game is poor quality like today.

Brereton has got speed, strength and class. We were given a tiny glimpse of it today. He is a good purchase.

We have a good squad of players and a great team spirit. I'd rather watch us now than when we had King, Marshall and Cairney. It is more satisfying.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, 47er said:

Watched the Sky replay 3 times and its definitely a pen! Clumsy and unnecessary challenge from the QPR defender, Brereton was running out of room and 3 defenders round him.

I don't think Brereton even played for it.

A reward for making  a determined run in the box. Good on him!

“I think it was a penalty. I felt that bit of contact and went down."

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2018/november/ben-happy-to-do-his-bit/

He basically admitted he played for it.

54 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Deffo pen for me. Forgot about that. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

What player doesnt? Dack does. Are you going to have complain? We got 3 points. End of story. Lolley did the other week. Cost us 2 points that day. But the QPR player didnt need to challenge. His left foot is taken away. Pen by the ref standards. Move on. Cant believe you are moaning about it

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Just saw the penalty on the Quest highlights show. Soft, yes, but the defender shouldn't have slid in. He did catch Brereton's heels and made no contact with the ball, so, he's giving the ref a decision to make. Brereton wasn't really going anywhere so if the defender hadn't gone to ground chances are there's no penalty, no goal and the game ends 0-0.

Exactly. Perfectly explained. 

28 minutes ago, bazza said:

I thought the two Rep of Ireland lads in the heart of the defence were superb. I love watching Rovers these days even when the game is poor quality like today.

Brereton has got speed, strength and class. We were given a tiny glimpse of it today. He is a good purchase.

We have a good squad of players and a great team spirit. I'd rather watch us now than when we had King, Marshall and Cairney. It is more satisfying.

It’s about the balance of personalities and the pure fighting spirit.

I’m not sure Duffy, Hanley, King or Marshall etc would fit in with this group and have the right mindset, no matter how good they are - and it only takes one or two to spoil it. 

The team bond is making us more than the sum of our parts and is what makes it so satisfying to watch. Bennett for example - there’s probably technically better options in the squad for all of the positions he plays - but I’d fit him in anywhere we can just for his heart alone.

That Reed fist pump after an interception was my highlight of the season so far.

Good times.

Love this team.

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Deffo pen for me. Forgot about that. 

What player doesnt? Dack does. Are you going to have complain? We got 3 points. End of story. Lolley did the other week. Cost us 2 points that day. But the QPR player didnt need to challenge. His left foot is taken away. Pen by the ref standards. Move on. Cant believe you are moaning about it

Exactly. Perfectly explained. 

What are you on about chaddy? How am I moaning about it? It looked in front of me to be a blatant dive, and nothing on the replays I have seen suggest otherwise really. I was amazed when he gave a penalty.

That doesnt mean I wasnt delighted when he gave it, and to see it put away too. Just as I celebrated when Martin Olsson dived against Burnley. If I see a decision then we get that we shouldnt have in my opinion, I will say so, that doesnt mean I am not grateful or happy. As you said, Forest got a penalty for a dive against us a few weeks ago, and we got one for a dive today. Swings and roundabouts.

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

That's ambiguous though. He went down means he hit the ground. Doesn't necessarily mean deliberately.

Anyway, I can only say what I thought I saw!

If that had been a QPR player and no penalty given McClaren's eyes would have popped out of their sockets!

• Like 1

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

It’s about the balance of personalities and the pure fighting spirit.

I’m not sure Duffy, Hanley, King or Marshall etc would fit in with this group and have the right mindset, no matter how good they are - and it only takes one or two to spoil it. 

The team bond is making us more than the sum of our parts and is what makes it so satisfying to watch. Bennett for example - there’s probably technically better options in the squad for all of the positions he plays - but I’d fit him in anywhere we can just for his heart alone.

That Reed fist pump after an interception was my highlight of the season so far.

Good times.

Love this team.

Mine too - snap him up!

Those deliberating over the pen, yeah it was soft but in the laws of todays its a pen. Sure on the receiving end its cruel but we werent so blah blah blah.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

What i am saying is what i wrote. Don't embellish it. Not sure about Reed out wide - with Bennett at RB then i can understand it. 

Evans  and Smallwood passed forward when somebody showed for it and got free - otherwise retained posession. Some sloppy passing but not alone in that today. Some good tackling and pressuring to break up play - not helped by a ref allergic to tackling...

As said - wouldn't argue with Reed in middle but don't think Evans and Smallwood have been that bad.

What you have to understand is that we all know reeds most effective position is CM. Start him there then!? With  either Smallwood or evens, yes?.. We then need palmer Or rothwell on the wing? Of course! 

People saying the likes of rothwell "is not ready" "has not end product" is absolute bollocks! One of  the most excitable players I've seen on the ball, In a rovers shirt in a while! He brings fire and excitement to the team! With regards to our "original Centre midfielders, Just what have they achieved together as a duo since the start of the season? They bring nothing to to the table (together) Constant side peg, backwards passing, zero movement on & off  ball! Might just be me but I personally feel TM is pressured to start RS & CM together? Because of the success of last years effort??

End of the day I Hope Mowbray realises, after today's poor performance, that changes need to be made! Unfortunately I don't see this happening for the Rotherham game.

• Like 1

I'm totally made up at today's result, what a massive victory to follow up on a tough run of fixtures!

Playing the form team in the division with 3 clean sheets in their last 5, and without 3 of most people's first choice back 5 is a cracking result. I get people being disappointed at the defensive nature of the starting 11 but feel TM was justified in erring on the side of caution given the injury situation & lack of anything like a first choice back line.

I couldn't get to the match but clearly it was a gritty, unattractive game where we stuck at it and reaped the reward. Long may that continue!

Delighted for BB too, and in his interview he sounds like he's on board with the project - good to hear.

25 points from 16 games, 1 off the playoffs and 5 off the top - this is the stuff if dreams isn't it?? Sure it's not thrill-a-minute but to grind out results like this is a solid foundation to build upon and allow those injured & out of form to get back on it...

• Like 9

1 minute ago, BankEnd Rover said:

What you have to understand is that we all know reeds most effective position is CM. Start him there then!? With  either Smallwood or evens, yes?.. We then need palmer Or rothwell on the wing? Of course! 

People saying the likes of rothwell "is not ready" "has not end product" is absolute bollocks! One of  the most excitable players I've seen on the ball, In a rovers shirt in a while! He brings fire and excitement to the team! With regards to our "original Centre midfielders, Just what have they achieved together as a duo since the start of the season? They bring nothing to to the table (together) Constant side peg, backwards passing, zero movement on & off  ball! Might just be me but I personally feel TM is pressured to start RS & CM together? Because of the success of last years effort??

End of the day I Hope Mowbray realises, after today's poor performance, that changes need to be made! Unfortunately I don't see this happening for the Rotherham game.

A point off the play-offs. Four points off the autos. ?

I know what you are saying though, it is a bit cautious. I think we’re going to see a lot of teams giving us a bit more respect soon and we are going to have to put a bit more creativity in there. I would have expected a tougher test today judging on QPR’s current form, and those two are great for shutting down and fighting our way into games. It’s the logical and safe choice.

We’ll need to get braver, and I’m sure we will get braver with the personnel choices. Mowbray’s comments after the game shows me he probably agrees.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

What are you on about chaddy? How am I moaning about it? It looked in front of me to be a blatant dive, and nothing on the replays I have seen suggest otherwise really. I was amazed when he gave a penalty.

That doesnt mean I wasnt delighted when he gave it, and to see it put away too. Just as I celebrated when Martin Olsson dived against Burnley. If I see a decision then we get that we shouldnt have in my opinion, I will say so, that doesnt mean I am not grateful or happy. As you said, Forest got a penalty for a dive against us a few weeks ago, and we got one for a dive today. Swings and roundabouts.

I think the replays say its a pen. Left foot taken away by Scowen who didnt need to tackle. Would McClaren complain if he had got a pen like that? 100% not. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think the replays say its a pen. Left foot taken away by Scowen who didnt need to tackle. Would McClaren complain if he had got a pen like that? 100% not. 

No one would complain if they got a penalty they wouldnt deserve. We wouldnt have complained if we got the one Forest did the other week. Agree to disagree, both at the ground and on thw replays I feel like at best he looked for and earnt the penalty, but im very happy that the ref fell for it and we got 3 points.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

No one would complain if they got a penalty they wouldnt deserve. We wouldnt have complained if we got the one Forest did the other week. Agree to disagree, both at the ground and on thw replays I feel like at best he looked for and earnt the penalty, but im very happy that the ref fell for it and we got 3 points.

From the link you posted earlier

"

As long as I’m playing I’m happy, it doesn’t matter where it is. I’ll always work hard for the team."

The Nottingham Forest loanee also felt the referee made the right call by pointing to the spot for Dack's late winner.

“I think it was a penalty. I felt that bit of contact and went down. Thankfully the referee gave it despite not really being on our side today," Brereton added.

“I wanted the penalty, but Dacky’s taken the ball and he’s a top lad so I decided to let him have it!

“We’re always pushing each other in training and telling each other to do more. That shows off with the results so we’re hoping to keep pushing and pushing up that table.

“Any team that comes here will know they are in for a good game. We’re excellent at Ewood Park and long may that good record continue."