BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

14 hours ago, Giant said:

One thing that will happen on Saturday is cheering every time Richie Smallwood gets near the ball. His status has been under question this season, but his effort in goal at West Brom has given him a lot of positive sentiment, and rightly so. I just hope that Reed is played in centre midfield with him.

His effort in every game should give him positive sentiment, absolute workhorse. As you say with the quality of Reed beside him, it's a strong middle of the park.

6 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

For the singers:

"He's got a Hair Island, a Hair Island" and repeat, repeat.

I doubt that Andy and Bob at Althetico Mince will mind but if they do tell them to fuck off, they will understand the language and may even suggest a song about Steve's Fat Slag and Casper, Steve's pet snake who will turn up at Ewood spewing sick as it's a bad traveller

Somehow from the hazy mists of my minds past that post rings a bell?

8 hours ago, Songman said:

His effort in every game should give him positive sentiment, absolute workhorse. As you say with the quality of Reed beside him, it's a strong middle of the park.

For him to show his qualities, i feel he needs to play aside a class act in the centre... i.e Reed.... In all honesty i think Smallwood's been poor since league 1. i think this is down to both himselve & Evans starting in the centre for most of the season. Too much alike. No excitement between them both...Personally feel Evans is the better player of the two. However hats off to Smallwood at West Brom. Can't take that away from him!

52 minutes ago, Neal said:

I'd probably be more open to giving Fisher a game in goal than Leutwiller. Give him some valuable first team experience and get him pushing Raya. 

I’d rather Leutweiler’s shirt plays again before Leutweiler!

1 hour ago, Neal said:

I'd probably be more open to giving Fisher a game in goal than Leutwiller. Give him some valuable first team experience and get him pushing Raya. 

I'd be giving the better keeper a game. We've got 2 winnable game at home coming up, not the time to be giving our 3rd choice goalkeeper some experience which we will likely never see the benefit of!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I feel like I've missed something with Leutweiler, has he dropped a series of clangers in games I haven't seen? I still don't think I've ever seen him play..... 

I think Stuart has something against Canadians. I don't see how he has definitively made his mind up from the few number of games Leutwiler has played. 

Just reading there, he is 6 foot 5(not Stuart), so that could be useful for corners, long balls and crosses into the box. We will miss Rayas reflex saves, but hopefully we see an improvement in distribution.  Big opportunity for him coming up now. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

59 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I feel like I've missed something with Leutweiler, has he dropped a series of clangers in games I haven't seen? I still don't think I've ever seen him play..... 

Think he’s only played 1 league game, but played 3 or 4 FA cup games, think 1 game he fluffed it and gave a goal away, but also saw he was man of the match for Canada in a World Cup qualifier, so bit harsh to criticise him, big lad, probably find out Sat if he goes with him.

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Just brought in to ensure we didn't have to play during international breaks during last season, seems that way anyway.

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Just remember him being poor generally. Even at U23 level. For a big lad he isn’t at all commanding.

• Backroom

Leutweiler's name takes some effort to spell correctly, which is annoying. That aside he was Shrewsbury's back up keeper when we bought him, so logically you'd have to assume he probably isn't a Championship standard keeper. We might get through with him in the nets for a couple of games, but if we're talking long term then I think it's inevitable it will cost us a few points (as Kean and Eastwood did on a regular basis a few years ago, although granted both were much less experienced).

For the time being it is what it is, hopefully he'll see this as an opportunity to impress and put on a hell of a performance.

• Moderation Lead
33 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Just remember him being poor generally. Even at U23 level. For a big lad he isn’t at all commanding.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong like, I just couldn't tell you anything about him, so I'm happy to take the judgment of those who've seen him more than me!

8 minutes ago, DE. said:

For the time being it is what it is, hopefully he'll see this as an opportunity to impress and put on a hell of a performance.

Hope you’re right, because Mowbray being Mowbray he will play Leutweiler ahead of Fisher.

12 minutes ago, DE. said:

Leutweiler's name takes some effort to spell correctly, which is annoying. That aside he was Shrewsbury's back up keeper when we bought him, so logically you'd have to assume he probably isn't a Championship standard keeper. We might get through with him in the nets for a couple of games, but if we're talking long term then I think it's inevitable it will cost us a few points (as Kean and Eastwood did on a regular basis a few years ago, although granted both were much less experienced).

Leutwiler was first choice keeper for Shrewsbury in 16/17 season 43 league appearances and 29 the year before. Most Salop fans were sorry to see him go I seem to remember when he signed

• Backroom
17 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Leutwiler was first choice keeper for Shrewsbury in 16/17 season 43 league appearances and 29 the year before. Most Salop fans were sorry to see him go I seem to remember when he signed

Yeah, but he was definitely considered backup when we picked him up. 

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2017/08/02/jayson-leutwiler-departs-shrewsbury-town-for-blackburn-rovers/

That said he's still better than Jason Steele.

I thought Leutweiler looked a bit shaky when we drew 3-3 with Crewe in the FA Cup last year, from memory I think their second and third goals came from corners or crosses that at the time I thought he could have come out and dealt with.

Hopefully though on Saturday he can do a decent job if he's playing.