BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, Stuart said:

Because Fisher is a better goalkeeper.

Fair enough in your opinion like. Way you say it suggest Mowbrays a penchant for choosing players for alternate reasons.

I haven’t seen enough to judge either but it is encouraging to hear we’ve a few other potential decent options to rely on.

Just now, Biz said:

Fair enough in your opinion like. Way you say it suggest Mowbrays a penchant for choosing players for alternate reasons.

I haven’t seen enough to judge either but it is encouraging to hear we’ve a few other potential decent options to rely on.

His reasons appear to be rooted in loyalty above all other considerations.

As a Championship club we need a better back up than Leutweiler.

The Canadians signing was a cleverone at the time. Formerly a number one for the past two seasons, more than capable in League 1 as a backup potential challenger for Raya and also gave us the ability to pick and choose whether we played on international weekends. I do feel the latter was the main reason though as surely we would not have liked to have been without Mulgrew and Evans a number of times throughout the season.

He was seen as an area to improve by the then Shrewsbury boss though who flat out told him he would no longer be number one last season. That, his inexperience of playing in the Championship and the fact TM mentioned he would have liked to bring in another keeper in the summer does suggest that he is probably not deemed quite good enough for this league. 

That said, he is experienced and has represented his country - so I would expect him, as the official number two to be given the role over Fisher while we await the return of Raya.

Just now, Stuart said:

His reasons appear to be rooted in loyalty above all other considerations.

As a Championship club we need a better back up than Leutweiler.

I don’t agree, Mowbray might over think team selections but I can’t ever recall him picking players for anything but form/impact.

Besides what loyalty does he have to Leutwiler? Makes little sense “confused icon”...!

4 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

The Canadians signing was a cleverone at the time. Formerly a number one for the past two seasons, more than capable in League 1 as a backup potential challenger for Raya and also gave us the ability to pick and choose whether we played on international weekends. I do feel the latter was the main reason though as surely we would not have liked to have been without Mulgrew and Evans a number of times throughout the season.

He was seen as an area to improve by the then Shrewsbury boss though who flat out told him he would no longer be number one last season. That, his inexperience of playing in the Championship and the fact TM mentioned he would have liked to bring in another keeper in the summer does suggest that he is probably not deemed quite good enough for this league. 

That said, he is experienced and has represented his country - so I would expect him, as the official number two to be given the role over Fisher while we await the return of Raya.

Of all positions I don't get why you need experience playing at a certain level when it comes to being a keeper. The ball, shots and crosses are all the same. How would having Championship experience help? 

Just now, DE. said:

Mowbray brought him to England in 2012 when he was manager of Middlesborough. 

Didn’t know that! I know he managed Downing before so, as an example would you say he’s shown Paul a preference due to loyalty? (or “reasons rooted” there of!)

I wouldn’t say so personally DE. Whoever he chooses on Saturday, I am quite convinced it’ll be down to considering who the best option is from his perspective.

On another topic is Fisher actually 7 foot 2?!?!

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Of all positions I don't get why you need experience playing at a certain level when it comes to being a keeper. The ball, shots and crosses are all the same. How would having Championship experience help? 

Tbf if that was the case teams would constantly be picking up goalies from the lower divisions. You can get decent shot stoppers anywhere, but as the intelligence and talent of the teams you face increases so does the need to make accurate and quick decisions, whilst also making very few mistakes as they get more costly the higher up the pyramid you go. That's what tends to seperate the good goalies from the average/bad ones. Decision making and confidence are both bred largely from experience, and if you haven't had experience of playing against a better quality of opposition then you're likely going to struggle.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Biz said:

Didn’t know that! I know he managed Downing before so, as an example would you say he’s shown Paul a preference due to loyalty? (or “reasons rooted” there of!)

I wouldn’t say so personally DE. Whoever he chooses on Saturday, I am quite convinced it’ll be down to considering who the best option is from his perspective.

On another topic is Fisher actually 7 foot 2?!?!

Well, I think the obvious decision is to put Leutwiler in goal so I don't think it comes down to loyalty in this instance, just common sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Wonder if, dependant on the length of Rayas injury, that we will consider getting in a free agent keeper in the short term?

Like who? And why when we have 2 more keepers anyway. 

37 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Because Fisher is a better goalkeeper.

Why? 

And if he is why hasnt he been on the bench this season?

• Like 1

No he isn't 7ft odd. 

If the Canadian can't get a game when Raya isn't fit and he is supposesly number two then we might aswell release him. If he isn't going to play him when needed then the young lads can play the token gesture games he gets and we can bring someone in who is a proper number two or promote Fisher as the number 2.

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

No he isn't 7ft odd. 

If the Canadian can't get a game when Raya isn't fit and he is supposesly number two then we might aswell release him. If he isn't going to play him when needed then the young lads can play the token gesture games he gets and we can bring someone in who is a proper number two or promote Fisher as the number 2.

We all know why Leutweiler was brought in last season and he served his purpose well.

• Backroom
28 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Considering the anything is possible theme in the Hoddle thread anybody fancy jumping in their time machine and getting this scary bugger back to stand in for Raya

RobEvans.jpg

I'd need a microwave, a mobile phone, access to the LHC and a ton of Dr Pepper, but yes, it's possible.

• Like 2