BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

European Super League

6 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Sad thing is, it will eventually happen, @#/? the small clubs, they don't make dollars for the global audience they are creating. ?

It's already here today. We call it the Premier League.

If, and it's a big if, people want to watch and support teams in a meaningful and competitive competition the sooner this happens the better. Getting shot of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, United, City and possibly Spurs would rebalance and strengthen the game in this country. There would be less money, far less but in competitive terms the game would be stronger.

The big question is do fans want real competitive football or to sit in a chair swilling lager? Attendances suggest the later is the case.

It's the lack of competition and a fair playing field which turns many away and makes for others, like me, League One or Championship football so much more exciting.

A season of excitement or hope set against a season in which the "prize" is to stay in the PL and perhaps beat a big six team? That's what PL football has become for all bar the leading six clubs. Let them go today.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, toogs said:

Other sources suggesting this would be a replacement for the Champion's League. Seems the incredibly greedy and corrupt "Super Clubs" in Europe aren't happy at having to share the money pot between 32 teams.

Guardian also reporting that Real Madrid would own 17% of the "Super League Group" business, with Barcelona owning 14% and Man United 12%.

How on earth does that work? Unbelievable on one hand, but the greed and arrogance of these clubs never ceases to amaze.... 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Paul said:

It's already here today. We call it the Premier League.

If, and it's a big if, people want to watch and support teams in a meaningful and competitive competition the sooner this happens the better. Getting shot of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, United, City and possibly Spurs would rebalance and strengthen the game in this country. There would be less money, far less but in competitive terms the game would be stronger.

The big question is do fans want real competitive football or to sit in a chair swilling lager? Attendances suggest the later is the case.

It's the lack of competition and a fair playing field which turns many away and makes for others, like me, League One or Championship football so much more exciting.

A season of excitement or hope set against a season in which the "prize" is to stay in the PL and perhaps beat a big six team? That's what PL football has become for all bar the leading six clubs. Let them go today.

It's Sad that it's got to this state but I'm completely with you. Let the mega rich clubs go and be a brand across the world. Take the C7s and all that shite with you. Take your souless stadiums full of day tripping tourists and glory hunters. Take your over priced tickets in your champagne and cheese lounge boxes and let the rest of England love football again. They think it needs to happen for them when in reality it needs to happen for the rest of us and for the love and soul of the game.

• Like 2

I hope it happens and eventually implodes. The arrogance and greed of these clubs is staggering and Chief Executives are more interested in share prices.

A new league would be an absolute bore fest if the Champions League is anything to go by. And the Premier League is going the same way. There would be a rebalancing of football which I believe would be good for clubs like ours.

• Like 1

Those 6 clubs will never, ever leave the premier league.

That "European super league" will just run parallel with the Premier League.

People keep saying that it will eventually implode, it never will, at least not in our lifetimes anyway.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I would assume this is a political move to spook UEFA into giving even more Champions League dosh to the elite clubs.

In a nutshell.

2 hours ago, DanLad said:

If such a thing were to happen I wonder how the fans of these clubs would cope with not winning the league every other season.

Good point. This is another indicator that it could never happen. I mean, a 14 team League, they'd have to play each other 4 times per season, with little scope for domestic cups.

They are essentially just plotting a Football equivalent to the Davies Cup (to replace the Champion's League) where the "Super clubs" can never not be in the top tier, thus ensuring they get minted whilst the smaller clubs that usually qualify for the Champion's no longer receive anything.

Edited by Batman.

25 minutes ago, DE. said:

The sooner the better, although I don't see it happening any time soon. Ultimately I think it would just end up with different clubs having money pumped into them and making the playing field uneven again. 

If it does happen then proper and fair regulations need putting in place so that the game can thrive and the imbalance is never to the levels it is today. Sadly even with the big six gone I think, like everything in life,  it would eventually be ruined by cash and greed. 

• 4 years later...

Sorry to link to the Torygraph but it appears Real and Barca accounting ruses have been ruled out by UEFA meaning they are neck deep in FFP non-compliance next season.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/07/15/barcelona-real-madrid-uefa-future-revenue-stream-ffp/

EXCL UEFA tell Real Madrid & Barca that 'palancas' are not FFP compliant
-huge pressure on Barca to pass UEFA FFP in next cycle
-Real €360m Sixth St deal not legitimate income under UEFA
-Real Providence deal under fresh scrutiny

14 hours ago, philipl said:

Sorry to link to the Torygraph but it appears Real and Barca accounting ruses have been ruled out by UEFA meaning they are neck deep in FFP non-compliance next season.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/07/15/barcelona-real-madrid-uefa-future-revenue-stream-ffp/

EXCL UEFA tell Real Madrid & Barca that 'palancas' are not FFP compliant
-huge pressure on Barca to pass UEFA FFP in next cycle
-Real €360m Sixth St deal not legitimate income under UEFA
-Real Providence deal under fresh scrutiny

will UEFA President take tough action against them tho? I think Aleksander Čeferin will do it and he is the driving force between this move against these clubs? 

Real Madrid and Barcelona wanted the European Super League cos it would solved those financial problems but it is clear that each team has over spend and wasted so much money on poor signings over the years.