BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Rotherham

3 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17211726.technically-we-have-to-evolve-says-rovers-boss/

Let's hope that this is of sign that we are going to be a bit more adventurous with the likes of Rothwell and Palmer (two technically very good players) getting more chances.

4 Changes for Bolton

4 Changes for Leeds

0 Changes for Swansea

5 Changes for West Brom

6 Changes for QPR

Ok, I stand corrected. I didn't realise we had been chopping and changing so much recently. I suppose there have been injuries and he does generally keep the spine of the team consistent. 

Remember Leicester winning the league not so long ago, it seemed they had the same 11 every week. A lot to be said for it. If we went on a winning run, I assume Tony would keep things consistent 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

On 07/11/2018 at 15:59, Peteb2014 said:

The Rotherham supporters will be in the top tier again for this game thought maybe last week was just due to the fireworks and moving the riverside after the game but seems like it could become regular

So it should. Take their money and shove them out of the way.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Al said:

So it should. Take their money and shove them out of the way.

Careful Al, you'll be turning into Vinjay.  Tread carefully or soon you'll be spouting about the Walker Trust and how Rotherham is a boring name.

Meanwhile on the game, similar thoughts to aribitro except I fear Rotherham will get the first goal and time waste their way to 3 pts.

Just now, Neil Weaver said:

Careful Al, you'll be turning into Vinjay.  Tread carefully or soon you'll be spouting about the Walker Trust and how Rotherham is a boring name.

Meanwhile on the game, similar thoughts to aribitro except I fear Rotherham will get the first goal and time waste their way to 3 pts.

Please do not compare me with him. I couldn't imagine a worse insult!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17211726.technically-we-have-to-evolve-says-rovers-boss/

Let's hope that this is of sign that we are going to be a bit more adventurous with the likes of Rothwell and Palmer (two technically very good players) getting more chances.

4 Changes for Bolton

4 Changes for Leeds

0 Changes for Swansea

5 Changes for West Brom

6 Changes for QPR

which game did we lose.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I gave Graham a pass as on his day he can be :) 

Ya a comically over the top assessment from their manager. He must be telling the players Dack in contention for the Balon D'or 

Think he must also have advised Rovers on the Brereton fee!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I would keep Smallwood in the middle, if possible. This season has highlighted the limited parts of his game (I would say pace being the biggest), but he's also improved since the earlier games, and he's been an ever-present in a team that has reached the dizzy heights of 8th. He is still someone I like to see in there doing the grubby work.

Keep Leutwiler in goal; a clean sheet last time out, and there may be a bit of a problem for young Raya if he's sent out with an uncomfortable mask and a fear of the ball hitting his face. Leutwiler has proved to be capable, and it's a good opportunity to give him another go.

Very valid points. If Smallwood was rapid, he would be doing the dirty work for a team in the premier league. He busts a gut every single game. Imagine he was faster, what a nightmare to play against. Little terrier constantly snapping at heels. 

Ya, I am surprised there is talk of Raya being rushed back in a mask. I don't see the issue with Leutwiler playing Saturday and Raya getting an extra couple of weeks recovery. I would understand if it was the play off final or something 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Very valid points. If Smallwood was rapid, he would be doing the dirty work for a team in the premier league. He busts a gut every single game. Imagine he was faster, what a nightmare to play against. Little terrier constantly snapping at heels. 

Ya, I am surprised there is talk of Raya being rushed back in a mask. I don't see the issue with Leutwiler playing Saturday and Raya getting an extra couple of weeks recovery. I would understand if it was the play off final or something 

Smallwood would be nowhere near the Premier League even if he was fast. Hes neither good enough on the ball nor good enough at reading the play to be a Premier League player.

He is a useful player to have around dont get me wrong but he is limited at the same time. For me our best central pairing when fit and available would be Reed and Evans. Rodwell is also potentially above Smallwood as he is far better on the ball.

With Raya, and the decision being made to postpone the surgery, I suspect that the mask wont be going any time soon. If hes comfortable wearing it then we may as well play him otherwise it makes postponing the surgery a strange decision.

• Like 3

• Backroom
4 hours ago, CP Company Lad said:

Doing well Rotherham this season. 

In comparison to their last season in the Championship, yes, but they've still only won 4 games out of 16 and are two points from the drop zone. -9 goal difference and only won one of their last five games. Granted they've managed three draws in there, but still, no reason to expect anything other than a Rovers win here, other than the fact it's Rovers.

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 14:49, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just read there , of Rotherhams 13 goals scored this season , 6 have been set pieces and another 4 have been penalties. So I think we know what the lads are working on in training this week, set pieces and not giving away penalties! 

Rotherham will have been working on the same. At home this season we've scored 9 goals in 8 games - 3 from penalties, 2 from corners and only 4 from open play. 

Today will be the Battle of Little Bighoof. We will emerge victorious by a single goal. 

Edited by blueboy3333

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17213847.rovers-v-rotherham-two-hardworking-teams-not-giving-an-inch/?ref=mac

Rotherham haven't won in their last 33 away games in the Championship. They last won at Ewood in 1979. 

Coupon-busting meltdown to hit BRFCS and Mercer's online betting account at around 5pm? ?

Edited by blueboy3333

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

A fairly good assessment from Mowbray of where this team is. Like he says, we need to be at full throttle every week to win.

I think what he is trying to point out is that we are winning because 'we got to war' every week. We are winning because have players like Lenihan, Smallwood, Evans and Bennett in the team. If we drop the likes of Smallwood for Rothwell, or Bennett for Palmer, then we would be in danger of losing the qualities that win us games. We play in a way that suits those players and have done for 12 months (pretty much when he ripped up his plans after the Oldham away game last season and went instead for a more pragmatic approach) . To suddenly start thinking we can put Rothwell and Palmer on the pitch and we'll be out-footballing the likes of Leeds is fantasy. We beat Leeds because we fought for every ball, closed the space and wore them down. We were able to do that because we had fighters in the team and Leeds couldn't hack it in the end. 

Like was said after the QPR game (when some less intelligent souls shouted 'negativity'!!! in response), we are a good team because we play to our strengths. Our strengths are playing percentages, staying solid with two hard-working CM's protecting the back four and who compete for every ball,  getting it forward quickly  to Graham to bring the likes of Dack into the game, or long diagonals to the likes of Armstrong. We play the most long-balls in the league. That isn't a coincidence.

If you think Mowbray is suggesting he is suddenly going to start playing a more expansive game with Rothwell and Palmer spraying the ball around like Barcelona in their pomp then you're in for a shock IMO. He knows why we are winning and it isn't because we are a good footballing side. What he is saying is that at some point in the future he will need to find players with the hunger and fight of Smallwood and Bennett but with the technique of a Palmer or a Rothwell. If he can instil the former in the latter then he'll have some top players on his hands (Dack has the fight AND the skill IMO) but until then he has to play the players that will win enough games to keep Rovers progressing and him in a job long enough to  'evolve' the team. Until then we will have to continue to win 'ugly' if we want to win, especially at home. 

IMO his approach is spot on at the moment. Like at the beginning of last season, if it stops working he will be pragmatic enough to go back to the drawing board. Coyle, by contrast, would just continue to try and out-play the opposition without having the players capable of doing it. 

Absolutely spot on.

Rotherham to be much much tougher than expected.

Unless we come out on the front foot like we sometimes do and score twice first half like we hardly ever do, his is going to be a grind with Rotherham surprising us with their quality at times.

Because Rotherham rarely score doesn't mean they won't against us.

In times past we could be Mercer confident Rotherham would get something today against the odds (they have lost much less than 50% of their Championship games so far) but with Mowbray I think we can be reasonably confident of winning 1-0 and moving up one place in the table.

2 minutes ago, Franky said:

Just got in from work.

Waggott walkon tax preventing me from going today even though its hours before kickoff. ??

Could we start a gofundme? I hate to see noses unnecessarily cut off faces.

Should be about 1p each? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Franky said:

Just got in from work.

Waggott walkon tax preventing me from going today even though its hours before kickoff. ??

Did you not know you would be back from work by now (or in time to go to the game)? If you did you could have ordered a ticket before 12.

12 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Did you not know you would be back from work by now (or in time to go to the game)? If you did you could have ordered a ticket before 12.

last week I got home early and got to the ticket office at 11:20

different each week depending where I have to go and how long the job takes. If I buy in advance I may not make the game at all.

Surcharge for walkons with half the stadium empty ?