SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Rotherham

Just now, philipl said:

Possession 66-34

Shots 26- 13

On target 10- 1 (we know which one!)

Corners 11 - 3

No way you blame Mowbray unless you say Brereton's height would have been more effective than DG's efforts- with hindsight yes it would. We got a point at Derby we never should have done (they got beaten 0-3 home to Villa today) and Rotherham got a point today they shouldn't have done.  

Getting 6 points at PNE and Wigan would be lovely...

Stats can be misleading. Why make changes once 1-0 down? Not willing to risk average results for greater rewards

11 minutes ago, Mercer said:

This league is wide open.

Any half decent side with a half decent manager would go very close.  Momentum and confidence so important.

It's Boro and one other for me with Villa as very strong dark horses.  Smith is a shrewd operator - watch them go after today.

I blame you for us not winning today Mercer. I hope you didn’t lose too much lumping on us for the win. Remember pal, when the fun stops stop. Always gamble responsibly. 

• Like 1

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Two points dropped today for sure, but 8 points from 5 games since the last international break is about what i expected, probably would have said won today, drawn against Leeds, drawn at Swansea and lose at WBA, still they all add up the same.

It's what's great about this league in a way, you think you have it cracked and a result like todays crops up, i expected to win but i'm really not shocked that we havent, i'm suprised as many on here are to be honest.

Hopefully this two week break will do Graham & Dack the world of good as something just isnt happening for them at the minute, as after this break there isnt much of a respite until March.

Its very true that points even themselves out but it still does not take away from what we missed out on today. Still - we are decently placed in a very crazy division. Dropped points for sure and we could have been in the playoffs (should be really). 

Eager to see what business we do in January. Also hope that Reeds injury is not too serious (doubt it is or he would have been straight off) 

Just now, AAK said:

Poor result really. Failed to beat Reading, Millwall and Rotherham at home. Just missing that bit up front, a Jordan Rhodes who will always bag dare I say. 

At least most of the results around us weren't too bad in terms of a big points gap opening up.

JR got his 8th of the season today.

There is a touch of the old groundhog in Mowbrays approach to games at Ewood and it's been said before our style like that is better suited to away games so he really needs to shake it up a bit.  Gung ho is reckless obviously but we do need a bit more of the bull in a china shop approach at times instead of waiting all the time to respond to what the other side does on our own patch.

No bother with the higher profile games when the players are already up for it but these are bread and butter and they shape the season. More than enough to win it though so it gets chalked down as one of those games .....again.

I'll take a draw today though if it means we beat Preston in a few weeks.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AAK said:

Poor result really. Failed to beat Reading, Millwall and Rotherham at home. Just missing that bit up front, a Jordan Rhodes who will always bag dare I say. 

For all the daft flat track bully remarks and he only scores against the lesser sides well todays game is the type he regularly wins for you.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AAK said:

I thought he would have been a great option for us. A costly loan though for a team with aspirations of consolidating in the league though. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Frustrating today, similar to QPR game last week in that we had loads of chances but were wasteful. Difference being, they had a goal threat...

Nobody let themselves down today. Thought Bell and Rodwell looked good and Brereton made the goal and for me, gets better every game. 

Bottom line, we didn’t get beat, I’m off to have a few beers and to come on here hungover. Better than posting after a skin full, I suppose...

• Like 2

Just back from the match which was a tale of two halves.

No Charlie, Williams or Evans so enforced changes and it showed in the first half.

Enter Nyambe, what a half he had, and will obviously be back in as first choice RB for the next game.

First half we didn't click even though it looked an attack minded selection, but we made up for it in the second half.

Should've won comfortably with better finishing, and what a good half by Armstrong.

Dack and Graham were poor first half but looked better in the second.

Good substitutions made it a very exciting last 20 mins.

Didn't see anything from Palmer to warrant a start next game.

Well done TM and the boys, must've been a good half time talk, we have a good squad that can play excellent attacking football.

Well I for one enjoyed the last hour, thought we played some good exciting stuff. Nyambe and Armstrong really gave us width and both were great. The only issues for me were upfront. How will we get by without Graham? We’ve been doing that for a few weeks now, he looked really poor today. Dack has been largely marked out of games for a while too. Both of them missed clear chances they should’ve buried. Their keeper played well, we hit the bar, fizzed across some balls crying out for tap ins - exectutional issues rather than formation/tactics. Brereton looks better and more confident each time; if Danny doesn’t start finding the net soon there might be a change coming.

• Like 2

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We are a funny team. Just as likely to beat the first place team 1-0 as the bottom placed team. Every game is a battle for us. The lads deserve credit for that. 

Pretty much exactly the same as last season tbf. We raise our game against the better teams and allow ourselves to be dragged down against the lesser teams. I guess that's where a passive managerial approach logically leads to. 

7 minutes ago, Doug said:

Good substitutions made it a very exciting last 20 mins.

Didn't see anything from Palmer to warrant a start next game.

Well done TM and the boys, must've been a good half time talk, we have a good squad that can play excellent attacking football.

A shame that it took them scoring for Mowbray to make the subs though. 

If you play Palmer one game and then drop him then drop him you are unlikely to see much from him, players need a run of games to get into rhythm. Bell and Bennett have been poor for a while now (in Bell's case since he signed) but both keep starting. Armstrong has also been patchy at best although I thought both him and Palmer were two bright sparks today.

We may well have a squad that can play excellent attacking football its just a shame that we don't play it very often. We're so conservative at home, today it took going behind to make some attacking changes, we play with more freedom away from home. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

Ah well, having smashed up my room and thought about it a bit more. At the start of the season I would have taken this position - so its all good. Swings and roundabouts and playoffs were never really going to be realistic. Finish outside of them this season and we have to be happy. Still bloody hurts to let 2 points go due to bad finishing - Dack, Graham and AA in for extra finishing practice all week!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Franky said:

last week I got home early and got to the ticket office at 11:20

different each week depending where I have to go and how long the job takes. If I buy in advance I may not make the game at all.

Surcharge for walkons with half the stadium empty ?

Surely you must have known you would be in time for the game at 11.30 if you were home at 12.30 today?

I really thought there was an element of complacency about our first half performance. Too ponderous and slow, players wanting too many touches on the ball and a few not looking as if they were up for it. I suspect Mowbray roasted them at half-time as there was a distinct change in the intensity. Normally we convert a decent ratio of chances created but today we simply didn't as we should have been out of sight before Rotherhams only effort on target. I thought Rodwell and Lenihan were really good and Nyambe bombed on like he has never done before. Bell worries me. He has so many attributes but decision making isn't one of them. Graham and Dack could have been sat with me but in fairness Dack came to life in the last twenty minutes.

I also thought some of the posts on here were complacent and over confident. I honestly don't think we will hammer anybody in this league as it doesn't seem to be in the team's DNA.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

fizzed across some balls crying out for tap ins - exectutional issues rather than formation/tactics.

Disagree. We rarely get more than a couple of players in the box unless we're losing. It's been an issue all this season and last season at times too. 

5 goals from open play at home in 9 matches tells it's own story. 

The curse of the first half strikes again. Every home game this season has followed the same pattern. First 5-10 minutes we usually start off well and look dangerous, then 10-45 it's turgid stuff and we're usually happy to be going in level, then second half we come out a different team and play sides off the park but struggle to score or finish them off. 

Only real exception was Leeds because we got that goal in our 5-10 minute spell at the start, everyone else has weathered the storm and then we struggle.

Can't keep turning up for only 45 minutes and expect to win games at this level. 

Today was a major opportunity missed. We can celebrate not getting beat and point to numerous missed chances but I would expect more, particularly in the first half, from a side trying to move into the top 6.

Thought Armstrong was excellent other than his finishing, but he seems to be benefiting from a run in the team.

2 tricky derbies coming up now but at least we seem to raise it away from home in the bigger games.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Its very true that points even themselves out but it still does not take away from what we missed out on today. Still - we are decently placed in a very crazy division. Dropped points for sure and we could have been in the playoffs (should be really). 

Eager to see what business we do in January. Also hope that Reeds injury is not too serious (doubt it is or he would have been straight off) 

No doubt about the Division being crazy , more or less impossible to predict results ..

• Like 1