BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Rotherham

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Agree on AA, he's getting better as he plays more but he isn't a creator of chances. His crossing off his left foot is very poor. 

Palmer has qualities, but he's one of those players who looks good without having any real impact on the game. That turn where he sent Bennett away was brilliant but it was on the half way line and it came to nothing. The passes to Nyambe came to nothing too and were fairly routine. I'm talking about creating genuine chances where he puts people through on goal or puts a cross on someone's head from 6 yards out. That's surely why we brought him to the club. 

Armstrong and Palmer would probably be better of switching sides that way Armstrong could use his pace to get by defenders and then get his cross straight in. And Palmer playing on the left would be able to come inside more and affect the game by linking up with Dack.

3 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Have you seen Evans this season? He's been fantastic. As for Rodwell he's got great composure on the ball and will start attacks of with his passing whereas Bennett is more likely to win the ball back and then give away again with a bad pass or a ridiculous long range shot.

Yes I've seen most games and I disagree. The only thing we probably agree on is Nyambe should be back at right back at Deepdale

it was a very frustrating today by the players who never stop trying and showing desire and passion. 

1st half, we couldn't going till towards Armstrong effort towards the end of the 1st half. Rotherham did have 2 very good chances but neither went on target. 

2nd half we up our tempo and our passing, movement and creative were much better and improvement greatly. People will complain about us struggling to break them down but second half we ripped them apart but failed to score and that's cost us. even at 1-1 I felt we deffo score the second

Armstrong was very good today. Palmer, Smallwood and Bennett all good today. Lenihan and Rodwell had decent and steady game. going forward Mowbray is going to have a problem which players play centre midfielder as we have 5 good players in there plus Davenport

We deserve to win after all those chances and opportunities we created. Dack took his chance well but should have score at least 1 more. Graham finishing was poor and I felt his all round game was today was poor. I was pleased with Brereton today. Never stop and I thinking he is trying too hard at times. 

Rotherham never changed from their 4-1-4-1 formation and I will credit Warne with having his team set up well and playing as a team and buying to Warne tactics. They have took points off Boro and Preston(I think) away from home, so I wasn't surprise their tactics or the time wasting. 

Frustrate result but its another point for us. I would have deffo taking this position at the start of the season at this stage. onwards and upwards

Edited by chaddyrovers

Armstrong was pointing for balls down the channels as well.  Didn't get them.  Couldn't believe how Nyambe was bombing down the wing, didn't know he could do it.  He was MOM for me today.  Thought Rodwell played well at the back today, but I think he might be our ball playing  midfielder, just need to get Tugay back over to give him some pointers. He doesn't look like a footballer who has lost his love of the game (i.e Bentley) just one that maybe has been badly advised in the past.  

40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Smallwood was quite poor first half, and Reed was affected by his injury for quite a while.

That shows how we all see the game differently. I had Smallwood down as by some way our best player in the first half and arguably man of the match, although I'm happy to give it to Armstrong. Reed was affected by his injury but for the first 30 minutes before it did nothing save for one nice cross field ball. 

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I feel like Brereton would be more effective if he spent more time within the width of the 18 yard box, something hes obviously told not to do by a manager who seemingly doesnt trust him centrally. I felt like after our goal any potential search for a winner fizzled out and half the time we had no focal point in the box when we got into crossing positions. I thought our crossing all day was absolutely shocking, Bennett was particularly bad in the first half, Bell throughout too. Need to take far more care crossing into areas where our opponent has 2 big centre backs heading everything away.

Whilst I appreciate that Bennett has many qualities, is it just his attitude that makes you feel he should be guaranteed a place in the team? Or is it a lack of belief in Palmer and Rothwell?

Today I felt he was shoehorned in at right back wrongly because it was easier than dropping him. Mowbray had decided to play 2 attacking players wide and I felt he was vindicated in the amount of chances we created. But I felt he should have started Nyambe.

Bennett isn't really a full-back but Mowbray is obviously easing Nyambe back in slowly to protect his hamstrings. He's had a few problems with them now so the club need to be careful with him. He only came on because Reed got injured. Reed was poor today I thought. 

Bennett offers a lot more than just attitude. When Rotherham were getting on top first half we were crying out for someone to start winning the ball for us and upping the tempo. We were flat. That's what Bennett does. He's like Savage was for Hughes, someone who makes his teammates better., who chases lost causes, gets the ball back and gets the crowd up. 

Palmer is actually starting to work hard. Mowbray is obviously instilling in him the same work ethic as the rest of the squad. It's just that he doesn't create enough to warrant a place in the team IMO. I'm not sure what the answer is but as others have said Rothwell, Palmer and AA are not natural wide-midfielders/wingers so we'll always struggle to create. 5 goals at home from open play after 9 games is pretty shocking TBH. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pjt said:

Armstrong was pointing for balls down the channels as well.  Didn't get them. 

2nd half he was looking for the ball inside the full back every chance he got but no-one was capable of giving it to him. He must have been very frustrated because he would have been clean through every time. 

6 minutes ago, pjt said:

Couldn't believe how Nyambe was bombing down the wing, didn't know he could do it. 

He's been doing it regularly for 12 months. His improvement over the last year has been phenomenal. 

• Like 1

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Bennett isn't really a full-back but Mowbray is obviously easing Nyambe back in slowly to protect his hamstrings. He's had a few problems with them now so the club need to be careful with him. He only came on because Reed got injured. Reed was poor today I thought. 

Bennett offers a lot more than just attitude. When Rotherham were getting on top first half we were crying out for someone to start winning the ball for us and upping the tempo. We were flat. That's what Bennett does. He's like Savage was for Hughes, someone who makes his teammates better., who chases lost causes, gets the ball back and gets the crowd up. 

Palmer is actually starting to work hard. Mowbray is obviously instilling in him the same work ethic as the rest of the squad. It's just that he doesn't create enough to warrant a place in the team IMO. I'm not sure what the answer is but as others have said Rothwell, Palmer and AA are not natural wide-midfielders/wingers so we'll always struggle to create. 5 goals at home from open play after 9 games is pretty shocking TBH. 

I would understand if today that was the reason behind Nyambes exclusion from the starting 11, but I don't think Bennett should be guaranteed a place. I think Reed has all of the qualities you mention whilst providing a level of additional quality, albeit both were poor today.

Totally agree on your point about goals from open play, and find it bizarre that anyone can question Dack's inclusion, if only for his goals alone.

30 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

2nd half he was looking for the ball inside the full back every chance he got but no-one was capable of giving it to him. He must have been very frustrated because he would have been clean through every time. 

He's been doing it regularly for 12 months. His improvement over the last year has been phenomenal. 

Not to forget he's 20 years of age!

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

All reminiscent of the season we went down.  IMV, too negative - his changes rarely effect games positively for Rovers.

Whoops. Brereton won last week's penalty and, I think, set up Dack today. Four points thanks to the sub.

3 hours ago, philipl said:

Those calling for Mowbray's head, how many of you forecast at the start of the season for Rovers to be placed above 8th  ?

Most said we would go down.

• Like 2

Well that was not fun. Despite throwing the kitchen sink at Rotherham all we could snatch was a point. Well, we cant win the all. For me it was crucial to go into the international break without losing, and that is what we achieved. Sure the players will feel a little dejected not getting all 3 but we are in mix of things sitting comfortably inside the top 10. Thoughts from the gaffa and more. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Bar Mercer, who wants Mowbrays head? And who said we would go down?

Nobody it’s the same as every time we don’t win, far more people talk about the negativity than actual negativity

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Paul said:

Whoops. Brereton won last week's penalty and, I think, set up Dack today. Four points thanks to the sub.

Most said we would go down.

From memory most thought we'd finish halfway or, at any rate, avoid the drop.

I honestly cannot recall anyone forecasting we would be relegated. So where you get "most said we would go down" from is beyond me.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

All reminiscent of the season we went down.  IMV, too negative - his changes rarely effect games positively for Rovers.

too negative? what planet are you on? 26 shots at goal and 66% possession. hardly negative. 

So being on Brereton in the two games didn't have positive impact in both games and got us 4 points. 

You attend today? 

5 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Really have to question that performance from Danny Graham, not good enough. Lost a yard more this season for me and needs dropping for the 7m pound man. 

Saw a tabloid piece suggesting Gestede to Rovers in January. Just what we need in my opinion.

I thought Graham was poor today. didn't hold the ball 1st half and sometimes dropping far too deep

25 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I'd say the only thing missing today was finishing. Id get another striker in January if possible. Graham looks shattered one game in two. Brereton has improved but just doesn't look a goal scorer to me.

Brereton might score goals if he started games and was given more chance of scoring. His movement today was good. Did well to set up the goal

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cherry Blue said:

Ref this week wasn't too bad, he let the game flow but could do little to stop Rotherham wasting time.

Ref was David Webb who refereed Rovers v Crewe Alex in December last year and, when Rovers had raced into a 3-0 lead, decided to be on Crewe's side by sending off two of our players thus leading to the gallant nine digging in to earn a 3-3 replay. He was a shocking ref that day.

Bonus points for naming our two players dismissed.

At the final whistle today I was glad of a point. It began to look like we were never going to score and that it was to be one of those days. Still only lost 3 this season which I think is terrific. 

We have some good players in Rothwell, Rodwell, Reed, Raya, Nyambe, Brereton, Lenihan, Dack etc. As well as Evans, Mulgrew and Graham. It's just finding the right combination to make the team click

Good to see the Riverside so full today. Good to be a Rover.

• Like 1

• Backroom
17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So being on Brereton in the two games didn't have positive impact in both games and got us 4 points. 

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Brereton might score goals if he started games and was given more chance of scoring. His movement today was good. Did well to set up the goal

These two statements are slightly contradictory, of course you could say that the subs the manager made got us the points, or you could say the lineup in the first place was wrong.

All up for debate but I liked the lineup today although I perhaps would have given Raya the week off and would have been happy to see Big Ben start.

Nice break now and I’d be hoping that Brereton is given the nod against Preston.