BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Rotherham

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He plays Bell in position, no? 

When he first signed him he cost money at a time when we weren't spending so he represented a big outlay and they chased him long and hard to get him here. He was established LB at Fleetwood so it was fair to assume Mowbray saw him as a serious challenge to the LB spot at Rovers however on signing he tried to shoehorn him in on the left wing then it seemed like maybe he saw him as the left sided man in a back three or something.

He's been in and out but of course his failure to nail down a regular spot isn't all down to the manager but he does like to swap them about even when they've had a little purple patch. I genuinely think if TM could've got away with playing his as a defensive left mid he would've.

If you could blend him and Williams into one you'd have a very good left back to be fair.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tomphil said:

When he first signed him he cost money at a time when we weren't spending so he represented a big outlay and they chased him long and hard to get him here. He was established LB at Fleetwood so it was fair to assume Mowbray saw him as a serious challenge to the LB spot at Rovers however on signing he tried to shoehorn him in on the left wing then it seemed like maybe he saw him as the left sided man in a back three or something.

He's been in and out but of course his failure to nail down a regular spot isn't all down to the manager but he does like to swap them about even when they've had a little purple patch. I genuinely think if TM could've got away with playing his as a defensive left mid he would've.

If you could blend him and Williams into one you'd have a very good left back to be fair.

He only played left mid one or two games. To be honest I expected a different player. I thought he would be really quick. He's decent on the ball and solid enough definsivley, but he has two major flaws in my opinion 1-final ball is poor 2-not great at judging high crosses into the box. I thought he would take Williams place, but now I would prefer Williams starting to be honest. The two of them may improve yet. Fairly young 

• Like 2

Mercers best bottle of red will be more chateau bargain booze, than chateau Petrus.

Interestingly enough, a 1995 Petrus is worth a small fortune, great year that was.

Edited by Gav

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17215687.blackburn-rovers-1-rotherham-united-1-paul-warne-reaction/?ref=mac

How does he work out that our goal was offside? What an odd and sore comment. 

A- It hit one of their players

B-He was onside regardless 

Point A is irrelevant I believe (my understanding may be wrong) as it wasnt deliberate play by their defender, it was a deflection so the point is moot. Correct me if im wrong though.

Point B I dont think can be proven 100% either way from the 1 camera angle available. I suspected there was a chance of offside at the ground. 

Brereton has benefitted from 2 major decisions in the last 2 weeks. Just as Rodwell v Forest and Reed v West Brom suffered from them.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Point A is irrelevant I believe (my understanding may be wrong) as it wasnt deliberate play by their defender, it was a deflection so the point is moot. Correct me if im wrong though.

Point B I dont think can be proven 100% either way from the 1 camera angle available. I suspected there was a chance of offside at the ground. 

Brereton has benefitted from 2 major decisions in the last 2 weeks. Just as Rodwell v Forest and Reed v West Brom suffered from them.

Not sure if you are correct on point A. Seems to be conflicting info online. 

Anyway, I think Warne is being a bit petty bringing that up. They were lucky to get a point, he should just leave it at that. 

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Anyway, I think Warne is being a bit petty bringing that up. They were lucky to get a point, he should just leave it at that. 

I don’t think they were lucky, we were perhaps unlucky not to win but they did the job they came to do, keeper made some big saves which he is there to do

• Like 1

For me a symptom of Rovers over the last 2 years has been too easily conceding and being exposed at the back.

Opposition often score against us easily against the run of play and don't have to apply much pressure to get goals.

Rotherham was a case in point. We got through a difficult first half not playing well but at least kept it at 0-0 when really we could have been behind. We then play well 2nd half and have them on the rack yet from virtually their only opportunity of the 2nd half they manage to score leaving us with an uphill battle to even get a draw. I don't see that as being an isolated incident. It has happened too many times this season alone and has cost us a lot of points.

Reading - scored twice through simple play - long balls over the top - a rousing fightback in the second half yet only got a point because we needed 3 to win the game.

Forest - did the hard work of turning the game around then concede a silly penalty the first time they threaten.

Villa - game won then conceded a daft free kick in a dangerous position.

Bristol City - 1-0 up away from home, could easily have been more - then on the stoke of half time concede a free kick on the edge of the area which they score and the game goes.

I don't think we manage games well enough really. We make life hard work for ourselves, so whilst we can show excellent fighting spirit and battling qualities it isn't enough because our opponents are getting goals too softly for my liking.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

To be fair to him, he immediately said he wasn't being a baby about it because he knows we definitely deserved a goal. He just feels it was offside (looked it a bit to me too to be honest). His comments make it clear he was happy with the point. Even he seems to know it would have been daylight robbery for us to lose that game.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

For me a symptom of Rovers over the last 2 years has been too easily conceding and being exposed at the back.

Opposition often score against us easily against the run of play and don't have to apply much pressure to get goals.

Rotherham was a case in point. We got through a difficult first half not playing well but at least kept it at 0-0 when really we could have been behind. We then play well 2nd half and have them on the rack yet from virtually their only opportunity of the 2nd half they manage to score leaving us with an uphill battle to even get a draw. I don't see that as being an isolated incident. It has happened too many times this season alone and has cost us a lot of points.

Reading - scored twice through simple play - long balls over the top - a rousing fightback in the second half yet only got a point because we needed 3 to win the game.

Forest - did the hard work of turning the game around then concede a silly penalty the first time they threaten.

Bristol City - 1-0 up away from home, could easily have been more - then on the stoke of half time concede a free kick on the edge of the area which they score and the game goes.

I don't think we manage games well enough really. We make life hard work for ourselves, so whilst we can show excellent fighting spirit and battling qualities it isn't enough because our opponents are getting goals too softly for my liking.

Wigan game at Ewood last year a prime example of this 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Yes... Definite pattern..Don't forget Fleetwood away. We should have been out of sight by half time...then they equalise....and only a worldie by Smallwood got the win we deserved...

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

I fully endorse your thoughts JHR because they very much mirror my own. I don't know the answer but hopefully TOMO does but I'm not so sure, otherwise we wouldn't be asking the question! Arguably, so far this season as far as games have panned out, with an additional 10% of 'smartness', we could be top of this league as it stands based on games played........

Just now, darrenrover said:

I fully endorse your thoughts JHR because they very much mirror my own. I don't know the answer but hopefully TOMO does but I'm not so sure, otherwise we wouldn't be asking the question! Arguably, so far this season as far as games have panned out, with an additional 10% of 'smartness', we could be top of this league as it stands based on games played........

The big plus for me is that when it has happened we've nearly always ended up still getting at least a point out of the game, so the damage in terms of looking over our shoulders hasn't been great, we've managed to keep on picking points up. In some ways though that has made some people blind to the issue as all the talk is about what good points we've had v Villa, Forest etc. rather than the lost points. But as you say, if we'd have cut those easy goals out we'd be sitting pretty now rather than mid-table.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The big plus for me is that when it has happened we've nearly always ended up still getting at least a point out of the game, so the damage in terms of looking over our shoulders hasn't been great, we've managed to keep on picking points up. In some ways though that has made some people blind to the issue as all the talk is about what good points we've had v Villa, Forest etc. rather than the lost points. But as you say, if we'd have cut those easy goals out we'd be sitting pretty now rather than mid-table.

That said, I'm thrilled to bits with where we are a third of the way through the season: I'd have taken that in a heartbeat at the end of July, so I'm far from unhappy. However, we could be where we could be if we had just been a tad smarter?...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

with an additional 10% of 'smartness', we could be top of this league as it stands based on games played........

With the ability to head downwards Rotherham could have been 2 up at half time. So could Millwall if they could shoot straight. We are where we deserve to be. Every team has a sob story....

58 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

However, we could be where we could be if we had just been a tad smarter?...

Deep, man...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

With the ability to head downwards Rotherham could have been 2 up at half time. So could Millwall if they could shoot straight. We are where we deserve to be. Every team has a sob story....

Deep, man...

Yeh, you're right blueboy but then again you always are. Must be great to be you.... ;)

On 11/11/2018 at 09:47, Mattyblue said:

12,847 with 600 odd away. So about 12,200 home fans. 

We are consistently 2,000 up on last season and about 500-1,000 up on early season.

Which is ok and we can’t expect much more considering how disappointing season ticket sales were. Let’s hope we sell plenty of half STs to further boost the crowds post Christmas.

sorry wrong thread

Edited by Cherry Blue