BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, Hasta said:

When the referee blew his whistle the ball was out of play.

You are correct. The game should have restarted with a Wednesday corner. If I had been the Wednesday skipper I would have insisted on a contested drop ball. It looked to me that the referee took it upon himself to drop the call to the Chelsea keeper.

3 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Oh good. Ha. Fuck Wednesday.

Surely it’s written in the VAR rulebook though that it should be a drop ball.

I think VAR can only give penalties. Therefore, as the ref never gave the corner, VAR can't give the corner, which is where I'm saying it hasn't worked correctly. 

If we have VAR then surely we should be ending up with the correct outcome. Similar happened on Thursday night with the Hazard penalty incident. 

Edited by Hasta

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

It’s the rules chaps.

I’d be more pissed off with my team not contesting the dropped ball.

41A45803-D3E4-4C96-A583-0604C68C4CA2.jpeg

But the ball begin out of play overrides that as no offence has been committed. The referee didn't stop the game when the ball was in play, the ball was out of play so a corner was the correct restart.

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

But the ball begin out of play overrides that as no offence has been committed. The referee didn't stop the game when the ball was in play, the ball was out of play so a corner was the correct restart.

play stops at the point of the offence not where the ball stops so technically the ball is in play at the time of contact .

24 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

It’s the rules chaps.

I’d be more pissed off with my team not contesting the dropped ball.

41A45803-D3E4-4C96-A583-0604C68C4CA2.jpeg

An unconteted drop ball is the only fair way as you would be punishing the defending side for a fair tackle ,also if a penalty was awarded and it was over ruled for a dive a contested drop ball would reward the diver.

Just now, had.e.nuff said:

An unconteted drop ball is the only fair way as you would be punishing the defending side for a fair tackle ,also if a penalty was awarded and it was over ruled for a dive a contested drop ball would reward the diver.

Suppose it is fairer.

But the referee can’t tell you to contest/not contest, and surely the players would feel aggrieved at it being overturned...

It might not be a good look to go in shin-banging but Wednesday could have scored from it, and would have stopped the opening goal.

Need everything you can get at Stamford Bridge.

16 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

play stops at the point of the offence not where the ball stops so technically the ball is in play at the time of contact .

But there was no offence committed so as the ball was out of play a corner should have been the restart.

2 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

in the opinion of the ref he saw an offence thats why he blew his wistle

He did but the ball was over the goal line when he did. VAR overruled him as no offence was seen. The restart should have been a  corner.

Just now, arbitro said:

If the ball had still been in play yes but it wasn't.

The ball is dead when the referee thinks a foul is committed.

For example - your line of thinking could lead to this:

Similar tackle, not a penalty but the referee thinks so, blows his whistle.

The ball doesn’t go out but spins around the penalty area.

Pleading and in frustration a defender picks the ball up.

The penalty is overturned.

But you would want another penalty as the restart!

They’re not just making it up as the go along you know.

Just now, arbitro said:

He did but the ball was over the goal line when he did. VAR overruled him as no offence was seen. The restart should have been a  corner.

not when he saw the challange  the ball was being challanged for then it went off the pitch  it took him a second to blow his whistle thats why the ball went off the pitch

6 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

The ball is dead when the referee thinks a foul is committed.

For example - your line of thinking could lead to this:

Similar tackle, not a penalty but the referee thinks so, blows his whistle.

The ball doesn’t go out but spins around the penalty area.

Pleading and in frustration a defender picks the ball up.

The penalty is overturned.

But you would want another penalty as the restart!

They’re not just making it up as the go along you know.

But the game is stopped so the ball is effectively dead as it was by the ball going over the goal line. Once this happens the handball in your scenario can't be penalised as the game us stopped.

3 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

not when he saw the challange  the ball was being challanged for then it went off the pitch  it took him a second to blow his whistle thats why the ball went off the pitch

He blew when the ball was over the goal line. That's the reason he should have started with a corner. If the ball was still on the field of play when he blew then a drop ball is correct.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He blew when the ball was over the goal line. That's the reason he should have started with a corner. If the ball was still on the field of play when he blew then a drop ball is correct.

referees are not instantaneous devices they need time to react

1 minute ago, had.e.nuff said:

referees are not instantaneous devices they need time to react

Correct but they have to enforce the Laws of the Game. The VAR should have advised him on the correct restart having reviewed the incident.

By the way I refereed around 1000 games of football over a 25 year period.

• Like 2