BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ep 102 - Revisionist Rovers - The Souness Years

In this special episode, regular podcast panellist Michael Taylor ( @marpleleaf ) reassesses the impact and the powers of Graeme Souness. Promotion, cup win but THAT tackle on Yorke and those transfers...

iTunes :-

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/brfcs-blackburn-rovers-fan-community-podcast-from-brfcs/id1282664472?mt=2#episodeGuid=http%3A%2F%2Fbrfcs-podcast.brfcs.com%2F%3Fname%3D2018-11-11_brfcs_episode_102.mp3

Non-iTunes :-

http://brfcs-podcast.brfcs.com/?name=2018-11-11_brfcs_episode_102.mp3

Souey.jpg

Thanks. Enjoyed that.

I will always have a soft spot for him, but you  certainly touched on his fatal flaws. Remember how a certain Mr Dinnis lambasted his lack of coaching and preparation in that last year.

I will never know how much was down to Dunny's lifestyle and how much was down to the way Souey mishandled the situation....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Would love to live the Souness years again....far more good than bad.

Putting the Media darlings Spurs in their place at the Millennium Stadium will live in my memory forever.

Me too, I was home and in the pub by about 8 o'clock ?

Souey - two years of brilliance and two years of ?*?!

He took on a club that wasn't going up and immediately did the business. Then added Premier League security plus the Worthington club. 

Still think Grabbi was more than unfortunate - that disallowed against the Mancs in his third game. Not worth £7.5m but there was a workaday Premier League striker in him.

Then as Michael Taylor so elegantly explains, boy did it go wrong- not Kean or Ince bad but heading that way...

Great listen, thanks

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Was Souness manager when we lost to Celtic in Europe? Sutton scored their second at Ewood. I remember watching the two legs on TV and thinking we deserved more 

Yes he was - most Celtic fans think it was him that came out with the "It was men against Bhoys" quote when that was, in fact, captain Gary Flitcroft.

Not a great time to be married into a Celtic family that.....

Incidentally we played them off the park up there without creating much but they did a number on us at Ewood and were worthy winners over the two legs I thought.

Edited by oldjamfan1

13 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Yes he was - most Celtic fans think it was him that came out with the "It was men against Bhoys" quote when that was, in fact, captain Gary Flitcroft.

Incidentally we played them off the park up there without creating much but they did a number on us at Ewood and were worthy winners over the two legs I thought.

If I remember correctly we started both games well, but final ball and finishing was poor. That was a good Celtic team, so I wouldn't begrudge them. Lost in the final to Mourinhos Porto didn't they? Back when Martin O'Neill and Mourinho were exciting and entertaining managers! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Yes, ,that quote certainly came back to haunt us. Our Scottish office was 99% green, so I took some stick.

Our performance away at Celtic was wonderful to behold....but we just couldn't score

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

If I remember correctly we started both games well, but final ball and finishing was poor. That was a good Celtic team, so I wouldn't begrudge them. Lost in the final to Mourinhos Porto didn't they? Back when Martin O'Neill and Mourinho were exciting and entertaining managers! 

Indeed. We passed it around them at Celtic Park as I say, without creating much. They did have an off night that night (I watched a fair bit of them at the time) but did a smash and grab via Hartson and the scorer Larsson.

I seem to remember we missed a sitter (Cole?) early at Ewood but then after 15 or 20 minutes Nils Eric Johansson fell over the ball and Henrik scored again (In my mind it was a similar incident to Basil Rathbone allowing Gordon Strachan to score for United in a big televised FA Cup game at Ewood in the mid 80s).

It was game over from that point. 

I did enjoy directing a minibus full of Celtic @#/? to the Reebok from Darwen that night though.

42 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Indeed. We passed it around them at Celtic Park as I say, without creating much. They did have an off night that night (I watched a fair bit of them at the time) but did a smash and grab via Hartson and the scorer Larsson.

I seem to remember we missed a sitter (Cole?) early at Ewood but then after 15 or 20 minutes Nils Eric Johansson fell over the ball and Henrik scored again (In my mind it was a similar incident to Basil Rathbone allowing Gordon Strachan to score for United in a big televised FA Cup game at Ewood in the mid 80s).

I did enjoy directing a minibus full of Celtic @#/? to the Reebok from Darwen that night though.

Basil Rathbone. Now there is a name and a half! 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Basil Rathbone. Now there is a name and a half! 

If you haven’t read his book “The smell of Football” try and get a hold of it mate. Very honest, very funny and plenty of Rovers anecdotes.

He still lives in Blackburn as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Did Strachan chip in from quite a distance? Without checking that's the image I've got.

52 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Basil gave perhaps the finest portrayal of Holmes of all.

Doctor Watson didn't play for Rovers but Rathbone did.

Elementary.

I have watched the new Sherlock Holmes and a movie with Ian McKellan. Read a few of the books too. Did you watch the new one? Started well, but gone down hill in my humble opinion