BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Rovers Return on a Sunday and Refugees on Shadsworth.

Only refugees I remember being  on the Shadsworth estate in the mid 90's were fleeing the volcano on Montserrat. They were quite culture shocked when they were placed in houses on the roughest parts and over time improved the properties they lived in 100%. . Although there were a couple of incidents involving the idiot fringes from the estate the majority of people from Shad welcomed them with open arms, helping them out with furnture , clothing etc , which they needed only arriving with the very few possessions they grabbed before the Volcano did its thing.

Was thinking about this the other day, there was a tv programme about the volcano, and was wondering how many stayed in Blackburn as over half the island is still inhabitable .

Edited by perthblue02

17 hours ago, CP Company Lad said:

Remember going up there in the late 80s and having a right laugh. Also remember loads of refugees pitching up in the 90s ? Romanians I think fleeing from the horrible beast who's name is can't spell. ChowchessQ ?

Used to go Sett End then Rovers on a Sunday lunchtime, nip from one to the other to catch both lots of strippers and comedians. Then back to the Royal in Ossy for a lock in, this was at the time before all day licensing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Used to go Sett End then Rovers on a Sunday lunchtime, nip from one to the other to catch both lots of strippers and comedians. Then back to the Royal in Ossy for a lock in, this was at the time before all day licensing.

Lock ins used to be quality. Curtains shut during the day ?. Good days.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Then up to Rovers for the comedian and back down to the Sett for the 2nd stripper 😁👍

The old fellas used to sit on the front row and the strippers would dip their tits into their beer and rub it in the old guys faces. Not very pc these days but the old fellas loved it

Not Blackburn related but sport and drinking.

When Sunday opening hours weren’t what they are today I knew a family that lived near me. This was their routine every other Sunday -

Get up and go to the local for 11.00am. Get a taxi up to the old Athletic Grounds where Rochdale Hornets played at about 2-30pm. Straight into the “ Hornets Nest “ bar for a drink and to watch the first half from the bar. For some strange reason they came out at half time and actually watched the game on the terraces ! Back into the “ V. I.P. “ lounge after the game for more ale. When the “ V.I.P. “ lounge shut they got a taxi back up to their local until closing time ! 

A pal of mine was going out with one of the daughters of this family for a while. When I asked him why they’d split up he said “ I had to Tyrone, they were turning me into an alcoholic ! “

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

On 16/10/2023 at 12:15, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not Blackburn related but sport and drinking.

When Sunday opening hours weren’t what they are today I knew a family that lived near me. This was their routine every other Sunday -

Get up and go to the local for 11.00am. Get a taxi up to the old Athletic Grounds where Rochdale Hornets played at about 2-30pm. Straight into the “ Hornets Nest “ bar for a drink and to watch the first half from the bar. For some strange reason they came out at half time and actually watched the game on the terraces ! Back into the “ V. I.P. “ lounge after the game for more ale. When the “ V.I.P. “ lounge shut they got a taxi back up to their local until closing time ! 

A pal of mine was going out with one of the daughters of this family for a while. When I asked him why they’d spit up he said “ I had to Tyrone, they were turning me into an alcoholic ! “

I remember being told a story from a bloke I used to work with, who travelling from Blackburn over the boundary into Darwen (Golden Cup) for an extra 30 minutes drinking time, as they have a different rules back in the day.

Not sure if that was true or not, I never questioned him, he was a nutter. His cousin once carried a piano up Montague Street, on his back for charity, covered on Granada reports, bare knuckle fighter too.

Characters eh? You get many of them these days.

14 hours ago, Gav said:

I remember being told a story from a bloke I used to work with, who travelling from Blackburn over the boundary into Darwen (Golden Cup) for an extra 30 minutes drinking time, as they have a different rules back in the day.

Not sure if that was true or not, I never questioned him, he was a nutter. His cousin once carried a piano up Montague Street, on his back for charity, covered on Granada reports, bare knuckle fighter too.

Characters eh? You get many of them these days.

If I remember correctly it was only on Sunday's when Darwen had the extra half hour but I can't recall whether closing was 10.30 or 11. The pubs close to the boundary (Golden Cup, Rising Sun and Horseshoe) used to get really busy in the last half hour of opening with the proliferation of Blackburners seeking more drinking time.

• Like 1