BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers away at Preston NE: 24th November 2018 - 3pm. The match thread.

• J*B pinned this topic

Really good preview Proudtobeblue&white.

Talking about Holes. We all have our top 10 Rovers players, our top 10 Rovers matches and our top 10 Rovers goals. Whenever we go to Deepdale, I always think about one of my top 10 goals. Occurred in a brilliant 5-3 win in 1967. I was 12 years old and still remember a 25 yard left footed pile-driver from Barrie Hole. Similar to the Steven Reid strike at Wigan. I will forever remember that match and also got the legend Bryan Douglas's autograph outside the players entrance. 

Barrie Hole was a talented left half with a magic left peg.

Still got the Programme.

PNE_v_Rovers_1967_18_Nov_1967.thumb.jpeg.4d7053096a162c9e04a28012029991a0.jpeg

• Like 7

PNE pulled themselves out of relegation bother with a really good run (W2 D3 in last 5). 

I see this as a weather vane fixture- one we need to win if we are going to get into the play off mix at the end of the season.

All about character and there is no doubt Rovers are now no longer lacking in that regard.

Feeling optimistic but don't want to jinx it.

Great preview!

Good preview. Thanks

I like the fact that on their bitter forum thread they are all having a bitch at us until somebody posts:-

"To be fair though, not many of them (Rovers fans) will be old enough to remember our last league championship win, 128 years ago☺

Sadly, they've been a lot more successful than us over the years with 6 FA Cup wins, a League Cup win and 3 league championships."

And then it goes quiet.......   :brfc:

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

Gone early with the matchday thread ? Waccoe can only post on the day of the match. Although these international breaks are as dull as dishwater. 

Preston fans make me laugh with the song "we are superior" ?? In what way exactly ? Only big (loosely termed) Lancashire club  that haven't had a stint in the Premier League. Blackburn Burnley Bolton Wigan and Blackpool all have. PNE yet to taste it not that it tastes that good in reality. Championship is better. 

They did though have one of the greatest players ever if not the greatest. Reckoned by many to be the best English player ever. The Preston Plumber. 

• Like 1

I remember walking to Deepdale from Revidge in the early 1980s for a night match against the Nobenders. I have a vague recollection that we won, but the gloss was taken off the victory by being set upon by a group of angry yoofs out looking for trouble. Although I emerged relatively unscathed (I got a hefty kick up the arse from a mad haridan after tripping over one of my mates who'd been wrestled to the floor), I had to make the rest of the long trot home alone, past the UK's first KFC, Tickled Trout, 5 bar gate Salmesbury Hall and all, and I vowed never to darken Deepdales despairing doors ever again. The vow remains intact to this day and will continue to do so for the foreseeable. 

Let  footballing prowess and team spirit rule the day. (as long as that means we sneak a win!)

C'mon you Blues!

55 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Reed Evans

Palmer Dack Armstrong

Brereton

Subs: Leutweiler, Rodwell, Bell, Smallwood, Bennett, Rothwell, Graham

Hope we play this team which is a bit more attacking.

What I like about our squad at the moment is that you could argue a place for our entire bench in our starting eleven. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, CP Company Lad said:

Gone early with the matchday thread ? Waccoe can only post on the day of the match. Although these international breaks are as dull as dishwater. 

Preston fans make me laugh with the song "we are superior" ?? In what way exactly ? Only big (loosely termed) Lancashire club  that haven't had a stint in the Premier League. Blackburn Burnley Bolton Wigan and Blackpool all have. PNE yet to taste it not that it tastes that good in reality. Championship is better. 

They did though have one of the greatest players ever if not the greatest. Reckoned by many to be the best English player ever. The Preston Plumber. 

In the main, North End fans are a decent lot. Of course there's the odd helmet amongst them but what team doesn't have fans like that ? Rovers included.

I live over here now so mix with quite a few of them and my take is that's there's a lot of frustration within the fan base that they remain - despite coming close on a couple of occasions - the one 'big' team around here that haven't made it to the 'promised land' of the Premiership. I think that can manifest itself as bitterness and resentment towards other clubs and their fans, particularly when they are coming up against them. It's almost a siege mentality.

So, whilst I can process all that, what I struggle with is this idea that Preston are rivals of Rovers. That is in no way meant to be condescending. I simply don't see it. It's always been Burnley for me. I've been watching Rovers since the late 70s and whilst there's been the odd match against them, Preston just aren't on my radar and I have no feelings towards them one way or another. It all seems to be very one sided.

As for the match itself, I'm seeing a score draw. Pearson is a decent player for them and, like Dack, if a big money bid comes in, he'll be off. That's the nature of modern football.    

Raya

Nyambe      Lenihan             Mulgrew        Williams

Reed                   Evans

Armstrong               Dack                        Palmer

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Rodwell, Travis, Bennett, Smallwood, Rothwell, Brereton