BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers away at Preston NE: 24th November 2018 - 3pm. The match thread.

Tommy Finney the best ever ? I'm 50 and my dad saw Finney. Told me he was the best ever.  

Read a few books on Sir Tom and he was absolutely fantastic by all accounts 

2 genuine feet and good in the air. Once scored 2 penalties for England in a game.One with each foot  ?

Edited by CP Company Lad

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I think people are way too harsh on Bell and overestimate Williams’ ability....

Its a shame - give Williams, Bells pace and occasionally dribbling ability - and we would have a good left back.

Williams is a little slow at times - and struggles further forward - however he is IMO a far better overall defender. 

Personally I would rotate the two depending on the opposition.

• Moderation Lead
3 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Its a shame - give Williams, Bells pace and occasionally dribbling ability - and we would have a good left back.

Williams is a little slow at times - and struggles further forward - however he is IMO a far better overall defender. 

Yep, said it before, if we combined their abilities, we’d have a grand full back!

Think the last bit would be about where I am as well. 

12 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I would always prefer to have a first choice defence in terms of gaining an understanding personally.

There is a bit of a myth IMO that Williams is worse than Bell going forward, he gets his fair share of assists even if he hardly Roberto Carlos in style! And hes far more obliged to get in decent deliveries than Bell is.

On 14/11/2018 at 20:37, Stonesrick said:

Really good preview Proudtobeblue&white.

Talking about Holes. We all have our top 10 Rovers players, our top 10 Rovers matches and our top 10 Rovers goals. Whenever we go to Deepdale, I always think about one of my top 10 goals. Occurred in a brilliant 5-3 win in 1967. I was 12 years old and still remember a 25 yard left footed pile-driver from Barrie Hole. Similar to the Steven Reid strike at Wigan. I will forever remember that match and also got the legend Bryan Douglas's autograph outside the players entrance. 

Barrie Hole was a talented left half with a magic left peg.

Still got the Programme.

PNE_v_Rovers_1967_18_Nov_1967.thumb.jpeg.4d7053096a162c9e04a28012029991a0.jpeg

Thanks for the programme bits. Has anyone noticed that the referee was FINNEY? Allegedly from Hereford.

That was the game that taught me a lesson never to leave before the final whistle. I left at 4-2 to Rovers and later Sports Report on radio announced "Eight goals at Deepdale". I was nearly apoplectic.

Barrie Hole was superb as was Newton, Clayton, Rodgers, Ferguson and Connelly. Happy days!

But happy days have returned under Mowbray.:rover:

4 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Williams is steady. Bell is sloppy.

Williams is shite, Bell is a good footballer who will only get better. He’ll will have a better career than Williams, mark my words. Bell makes us a better team than Williams does.

Edited by RV Blue

Saw Finney at Ewood in the early 60's. Preston won, or rather Finney won. Ran us ragged all day and made a monkey of Matt Woods, the only time I ever saw that happen.

Sir Tom was their Duggie! Its funny but all those Lancs town clubs had one! Blackpool had Matthews, Bolton Lofthouse and Burnley had McIlroy.

All 5 were superstars playing for local clubs.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, renrag said:

Not quite accurate I think! He took 4 penalties for England and scored 3, the one you are thinking about was at the 1958 World Cup. He always took them with his left foot, but this one was against Russia’s Lev Yashin who had a reputation for penalty saves and studying takers. Finney took it right footed and Yashin was mesmerised.

Without doubt Finney was the best British footballer In my lifetime and arguably the best of any nationality 

Thank you for putting me right.

My grandad was Rovers mad but loved Tommy Finney. Said he was brilliant. 

A tale that got past down about Mortensen. Matthew and Finney ??

One was far better than the other 2. Far far better.

Bell has been a bit poor of late but i dont think he should be written off. Like others have said, he has attributes Williams doesnt and vice versa, if we could combine the two we would be quids in.

Still young though and time to develop. One thing about him is his body language - its seems lazy, languid and unfocused. I just hope this is just how he looks ala Crouch and is not his mindset. He has some good feet, nice bit of pace when he gets going but always seems to cut back. Is he left footed? As i always see him cut back on to his right foot.

56 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Williams is shite, Bell is a good footballer who will only get better. He’ll will have a better career than Williams, mark my words. Bell makes us a better team than Williams does.

these are just your opinions, I have seen nothing in Bell to show he has anything to offer at our level.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rigger said:

these are just your opinions, I have seen nothing in Bell to show he has anything to offer at our level.

I'm not bells biggest fan but I said the same about nyambe. He looked far worse than bell with less potential. He was awful going forward and look at him now. I do think it's too soon to judge. He's new to this level and mowbray seems to have a magic wand

11 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Player of the season in 2017 is now shite. :rolleyes:

There's not a lot in it in my opinion, and Bell will only get better, but due to the lack of presence in the air at centre half I'd prefer Williams at this moment in time.

On 17/11/2018 at 14:41, blueboy3333 said:

I stay away from that site as much as possible, that thread an example why. Majority of fans have no problem with Rovers, like yourselves most of ours fans have no ill feelings towards you, we save them feelings for the lashers on the coast and the dingles. Think it's just a minority who are still a bit bitter from the late 90's. However it should be a good game next week, past few meetings provided some goals and you're on form slightly at minute whilst we're just about finding our form from last season after a very bad start. I like the look of Dack I wouldn't be surpised if another club came in for him in Jan but there's not many other players I know so not sure who else to be worried about.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nobbers123 said:

I stay away from that site as much as possible, that thread an example why. Majority of fans have no problem with Rovers, like yourselves most of ours fans have no ill feelings towards you, we save them feelings for the lashers on the coast and the dingles. Think it's just a minority who are still a bit bitter from the late 90's. However it should be a good game next week, past few meetings provided some goals and you're on form slightly at minute whilst we're just about finding our form from last season after a very bad start. I like the look of Dack I wouldn't be surpised if another club came in for him in Jan but there's not many other players I know so not sure who else to be worried about.

Think it will be a good game, passionate affair. It is not a derby of course but it is very close to being one. Preston had a good season last time out so your current position is one that is a little false, so anyone on here thinking it will be an easy game are off their rockers. That said, our away form is good, better than our home form where we seem to draw too many.

Like you say, Dack is the man for us but everyone seems to know it and doubles, even triples up on him which has led to him being very quiet the last few games. Even then he still pops up with vital goals. Harrison Reed is another good player for us while Rothwell from the bench is always exciting to watch.  

Just now, JacknOry said:

Think it will be a good game, passionate affair. It is not a derby of course but it is very close to being one. Preston had a good season last time out so your current position is one that is a little false, so anyone on here thinking it will be an easy game are off their rockers. That said, our away form is good, better than our home form where we seem to draw too many.

Like you say, Dack is the man for us but everyone seems to know it and doubles, even triples up on him which has led to him being very quiet the last few games. Even then he still pops up with vital goals. Harrison Reed is another good player for us while Rothwell from the bench is always exciting to watch.  

Reed the small CM from Southampton? Looked decent last year when I think he was at Norwich. Is he on loan or signed perm in summer?

Just now, Nobbers123 said:

Reed the small CM from Southampton? Looked decent last year when I think he was at Norwich. Is he on loan or signed perm in summer?

Yeah same guy, on loan for the season but most of us would take him on a permanent in a heartbeat. Real busy body in the middle, box to box player that I have not yet seen have a bad game. Has played a few games in the PL but is on the fringes at Southampton - just hope they stay up as think they will need him if they come down. He played at Norwich last season but primarily played as a RB for most of the season once their starting RB got injured.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Yeah same guy, on loan for the season but most of us would take him on a permanent in a heartbeat. Real busy body in the middle, box to box player that I have not yet seen have a bad game. Has played a few games in the PL but is on the fringes at Southampton - just hope they stay up as think they will need him if they come down. He played at Norwich last season but primarily played as a RB for most of the season once their starting RB got injured.

I'll keep an eye out for him. Think it'll be a game for the midfield next week, without meaning to sound biased but I think our midfield 3 are up there with some of the best in the league however Browne was withdrawn from Ireland squad this week with injury and Johnson is suspended so not sure who'll be playing for us. As long as Pearson is playing we have a chance.

17 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Tom Finney nearly joined Rovers according to his biography...what a side that would have been with Douglas and Clayton!

Was present at Deepdale when they officially opened 'The Splash' Statue prior to a pre Season friendly...I think it's one of the best ever made tbh.

Amazing statue, so much better than just a traditional bronze statue that most clubs have for their legends. A statue of an iconic picture done in a unique way.