BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers away at Preston NE: 24th November 2018 - 3pm. The match thread.

14 hours ago, 47er said:

Saw Finney at Ewood in the early 60's. Preston won, or rather Finney won. Ran us ragged all day and made a monkey of Matt Woods, the only time I ever saw that happen.

Sir Tom was their Duggie! Its funny but all those Lancs town clubs had one! Blackpool had Matthews, Bolton Lofthouse and Burnley had McIlroy.

All 5 were superstars playing for local clubs.

Didn’t Finney retire in 1960?

Edited by den

2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Tom Finney nearly joined Rovers according to his biography...what a side that would have been with Douglas and Clayton!

Was present at Deepdale when they officially opened 'The Splash' Statue prior to a pre Season friendly...I think it's one of the best ever made tbh.

Wash your mouth out SG.

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course it’s a derby,  Preston is 15 minutes away from Blackburn, but most Rovers fans don’t see it as the Derby.

I do. To us living this side of Blackburn it’s the biggest Derby.  We live amongst these northenders and have to tolerate the inane ramblings of how they’re such a big club - even though they aren’t, never have been or will be. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, den said:

Didn’t Finney retire in 1960?

He did indeed. Think the game 47er is referring to was in October '59:

Blackburn Rovers v Preston North End 1-4 (H/T 1-2) Saturday, 3 October 1959, Ewood Park, attendance: 41,694

Rovers: Leyland; Taylor, Smith, England, Woods, McGrath, Isherwood, Douglas, Dobing, Vernon, MacLeod

Preston North End: Else; Cunningham, Walton, Milne, Dunn II, Smith, Mayers, Farrall, Finney, Sneddon, Taylor

Scorers: 1-0 Dobing (1.), 1-1 T.Finney (4.), 1-2 S.Taylor (28.), 1-3 Sneddon (52.), 1-3 Farrall (68.)

Edited by Andy Kennedys Hairdo
  • Like 1

Course it's a derby as is Bolton it's just not the fierce rival although the way some of the fans of both go on it might be to them. I've always had the hump with Preston same as some of them do with us, more so than Bolton to me although less than Burnley who will always remain a breed apart regardless of the other two being closer to me.

Wigan, Blackpool, Oldham like Utd, City, Everton are just local games to me but Burnley, Bolton, Preston most definitely fall into derby category.

8 hours ago, Nobbers123 said:

I stay away from that site as much as possible, that thread an example why. Majority of fans have no problem with Rovers, like yourselves most of ours fans have no ill feelings towards you, we save them feelings for the lashers on the coast and the dingles. Think it's just a minority who are still a bit bitter from the late 90's. However it should be a good game next week, past few meetings provided some goals and you're on form slightly at minute whilst we're just about finding our form from last season after a very bad start. I like the look of Dack I wouldn't be surpised if another club came in for him in Jan but there's not many other players I know so not sure who else to be worried about. 

I hope your manager has the same attitude.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andy Kennedys Hairdo said:

Blackburn Rovers v Preston North End 1-4 (H/T 1-2) Saturday, 3 October 1959, Ewood Park, attendance: 41,694

Rovers: Leyland; Taylor, Smith, England, Woods, McGrath, Isherwood, Douglas, Dobing, Vernon, MacLeod

Preston North End: Else; Cunningham, Walton, Milne, Dunn II, Smith, Mayers, Farrall, Finney, Sneddon, Taylor

Scorers: 1-0 Dobing (1.), 1-1 T.Finney (4.), 1-2 S.Taylor (28.), 1-3 Sneddon (52.), 1-3 Farrall (68.)

Willie Cunningham. Trained us for free for two or three seasons. Hard as nails even at the age of 50ish. Ex Scotland captain, used to rave about how they would give the ball to Finney in training and then taking a breather while he ran around with it for a few minutes. 

Even though he was a northender, he was a good guy.

2 hours ago, Andy Kennedys Hairdo said:

North end relegated season after he retired. Never been back since despite their massive support. Even Blackpool made it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, den said:

I do. To us living this side of Blackburn it’s the biggest Derby.  We live amongst these northenders and have to tolerate the inane ramblings of how they’re such a big club - even though they aren’t, never have been or will be. 

I once heard a nobber call their club a sleeping giant?

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

You can see both Ewood and Deepdale from the top 'o Darren Tower.

You'd be able to see the Breezebloc as well if the hill was higher I bet lol

Just shows what a unique football hotbed Lancashire is and why others don't understand when fans of our three clubs offer valid explanations for modest crowds, limited catchment areas.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Come on Jack, it couldn't be more of a local derby if it tried. We are the closest club to Preston. Preston possibly the closest club to us.

Yeah, i could have worded it better - did not expect such a debate after haha. Its not 'the' derby, not in my eyes anyway.

8 hours ago, Andy Kennedys Hairdo said:

So, an ageing Finney coming to the end of his career rang rings around us. In his younger days he played right wing for North End, left wing for England and, towards the end of his career, played centre forward scoring many goals. What a superb player he was.

That Rovers team looked a bit weak. Bill Smith(?) at left back, Ken Taylor at right back, Roy Isherwood on the right wing and no Ronnie Clayton. Hmmm.

9 hours ago, bazza said:

So, an ageing Finney coming to the end of his career rang rings around us. In his younger days he played right wing for North End, left wing for England and, towards the end of his career, played centre forward scoring many goals. What a superb player he was.

That Rovers team looked a bit weak. Bill Smith(?) at left back, Ken Taylor at right back, Roy Isherwood on the right wing and no Ronnie Clayton. Hmmm.

It's an interesting one, Bazza, when you consider that this was the team picked to play Leicester the following week:

Rovers: Leyland; Bray, Pickering, R.Clayton, Woods, McGrath, Douglas, Dobing, Dougan, McEvoy, MacLeod  

Looks like Duncan wasn't impressed with the performance v Preston and made a number of changes. Seems to have had the desired effect as it resulted in a 2-3 win. 

1 hour ago, Andy Kennedys Hairdo said:

It's an interesting one, Bazza, when you consider that this was the team picked to play Leicester the following week:

Rovers: Leyland; Bray, Pickering, R.Clayton, Woods, McGrath, Douglas, Dobing, Dougan, McEvoy, MacLeod  

Looks like Duncan wasn't impressed with the performance v Preston and made a number of changes. Seems to have had the desired effect as it resulted in a 2-3 win. 

Now that surprises me because I always remember Andy McEvoy not moving to inside forward (or second striker) until later than that.

Always a tricky one this. Form book goes out the window with this fixture, which might be a good thing as Preston despite their league position have been in top notch form. Turned the corner at a very good time, as we get into the mad Christmas period. If they play their cards right they could be bubbling in the top half before we end 2018.  As for Rovers, next two matches are MASSIVE, very winnable, but also very lose-able! Hoping Tony & Co have rested easy this week, and fingers crossed we have a fresher looking squad with Nyambe and Mulgrew back. Could this be the day... that Big Ben makes a name for himself?! 

• Like 3