BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers away at Preston NE: 24th November 2018 - 3pm. The match thread.

16 hours ago, meadows said:

Think that was the last ever 40,000 gate for a league match at Ewood. Only the FA Cup game against Man City in 1969 since. 

That stat surprised me given that Burnley were in town a couple of weeks later - a  game that seemed to attract 8000 fewer fans. The fanbase of all three teams seems to be of a similar size so I'm wondering whether it was the lure of seeing Sir Tom play that boosted the attendance ?

3 hours ago, Andy Kennedys Hairdo said:

That stat surprised me given that Burnley were in town a couple of weeks later - a  game that seemed to attract 8000 fewer fans. The fanbase of all three teams seems to be of a similar size so I'm wondering whether it was the lure of seeing Sir Tom play that boosted the attendance ?

I was only a young kid but my Dad, a lifelong Rovers fan,  went to watch the replay with he said a whole load of mates,  all Rovers fans. Finney  was the main attraction for Dad and the likelihood of an easy to get to good game. I imagine that quite a number of Rovers fans went to boost the gate.

Dad always maintained that Finney was the most gifted complete footballer he ever saw and could play anywhere. 

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

I have heard the tale from a dear departed PNE fan in his 90's that queue's used to form around lunchtime before the turnstiles opened that were heaving only for loads to turn away after standing there ages and go home before getting in if word went around Finney wasn't playing.

I heard lots of tales from my grandad and uncle, both Rovers fans, about how huge numbers would go from Bamber Bridge to Deepdale every other week just to see Finney. Like others I was told by many that Finney was the most complete footballer they ever saw.

I wasn't quite old enough to see him play but I did meet him a few times over the years at various charity dos. If you asked him to open anything bigger than a bag of crisps for charity he would be there - a quite wonderful human being as well as footballer.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I have heard the tale from a dear departed PNE fan in his 90's that queue's used to form around lunchtime before the turnstiles opened that were heaving only for loads to turn away after standing there ages and go home before getting in if word went around Finney wasn't playing.

Probably just didn't want to pay the surcharge tbh

15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

"I like this team because of the personalities in it."

#Blackburn Rovers manager Tony Mowbray discusses his selection dilemmas ahead of the visit to #Preston.

#bbcsport #bbclancssport #rovers #pnefc https://t.co/XdXDTiJa3L

This means more square pegs in round holes tomorrow!

Nevertheless, fancy Rovers strongly tomorrow to run out winners by the odd goal.  Strangely enough, some family and friends who follow PNE don't fancy them at all tomorrow despite their recent improvement!

And before you ask Chaddy, no I wont be there tomorrow owing to a work commitment but the offer of a pint for you at Wigan, Leeds or Middlesbrough still stands!

Nobbers I know aren't confident at all for tomorrow which is a marked contrast to the last few times we've played them, it has me slightly worried to be honest as I think Preston can still be a real handful when up for it although it does have a bit of a feel of the Lambert game over there to it so i'll settle for that result !

However we like a draw so...

Throbbers  2   Rovers  2

Edited by tomphil

One thing we can all be confident of is a tight game. From our point of view we never put teams to bed and our wins are usually by an odd goal, that's the way we play under Mowbray. We're also hard to beat and rarely except the latter stages at Bristol City have we been put out of sight by the opposition. PNE seem to be getting back to their ways of last season where they were defensively solid but didn't score many.

We've a relatively clean bill of health whereas they've had a bad couple of weeks for injuries.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

That Johnson was on top form, supposedly. He’s always looked a handful whenever I’ve seen him.

Yeh, he's a decent little championship player, they have another good midfield Pearson, bit like a Joe Allen. Gallagher also has bags of quality. They're a decent side.