BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers away at Preston NE: 24th November 2018 - 3pm. The match thread.

Well what a disappointment that was. Blooming north end as well?

without going into too many details, we came out half asleep and totally unaware of PNE. Like we hadn’t considered they might be a threat. That formation leaves us far too open. No solidity in that midfield. Too many of them caught time and again wrong side of the ball. Quite a few looked like they didn’t understand the role they were meant to be playing.  Armstrong totally ineffective wide left, might as well have played with ten men. 

Having said that the introduction of Graham made an impact and rovers better team second half. After we scored it looked like we would get something from the game. However, we were regularly caught all over the place whenever north end broke away. 

North end weren’t great that’s the disappointing thing for me. We never got hold of Wilson up front and that was our downfall. We were very naive today. Part of me thinks that we have better players than them, but north end fans would probably laugh at that comment.

bottom line is we are - and can be much, much better than this.

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The only part of the team selection anyone has an issue with is Palmer starting upfront. That's fair enough, I think Brereton should have started.

I just wouldn't put conceding 2 goals in the first 10 minutes down to that decision. More at play than that. Lack of motivation and individual errors the 2 main reasons in my opinion. 

You laughed at Jim when he predicted a 3-1 defeat before kick off. You’d think you’d be a little less vocal after making yourself look so foolish.

Mowbray once again picked a team with no strikers. It must give the opposition so much confidence and a platform to get forward.

You mention a lack of motivation. How can Mowbray’s selection not demotivate players? Fans shake their heads so players must too.

Mowbray, like any manager, will get stick when he gets something wrong. I expect he’s big enough to accept that.

• Like 4

Preston deserved a 4 1 win. Dack & Armstrong simply did not want to put in the effort.

As for team selection, does Mowbray think the ball will stick to the ground when we pass it forward? Meanwhile a £7m striker watches from the bench.

Yes I'm annoyed and I'm questioning Mowbray's ability at this level. Not for the first time he's dropped a clanger in team selection but you would think he would learn by his mistakes. Today clearly showed he has not ?

• Like 1

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

And why should players be exempt from blame ??

They shouldn't but he should look at himself and his approach to the game. He coaches a team that offers very little threat going forward and is quite capable of capitulating at the back. We only start playing form the 46th minute. Easy to blame the players. 

• Moderation Lead

If Graham isn’t fit, fair enough, but then why leave a striker on the bench who could be used in his place? One we’ve spent loads of money on and yet used sparingly. Why use someone who is unfamiliar with the role there? Absolutely mental.

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 2

Just now, perthblue02 said:

I blame the messageboard revamp, ever since it changed to Man City blue we have been hammered, please change it back before the Wigan game :)

Man City?! There was me thinking it was a way of bringing in more fans from Japan.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Dack has 8 goals and 2 assists in 15 matches this season. If he carries on in that vain, he only needs another 18 games or so to match what he did last season. So he's actually on course to smash last season, and at a higher level.

The criticism of Dack is bizarre. If he doesn't score we often don't. It's worth noting only 5 goals have come form open play this season that haven't been scored by him. 5 GOALS IN 18 GAMES. 

• Like 1

For Dack to be at his effective best the others have to create that space for him to operate in otherwise the opposition just crowd him out and at the moment he isn't interested when that happens.

In order for him to poach in the box which he's also good at you have to be pinging balls into there and creating chances, something we don't do enough of really.

A good winger would've been handy !

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Nuttall whilst not being anything special is probably more suited to starting in the DG role in front of BB so i'm saying i'd try that before i'd start Brereton. Yes he is showing signs with a few assists but really if you watch him he's offered bugger all so far. 

He's taking up bench space that in my opinion should be occupied at the moment by someone more capable, for me again it all comes down to not getting in proper striking back up. That would allow the slowly slowly approach with Brereton and keep the spotlight of him a bit.

Wow, can't agree at all. Nuttall hasn't played at all for ages. I don't necessarily object to him being a bench option, but it should start with cameos from there.

Brereton offered bugger all until the last three games, when he has been our best substitute. Last person who needs dropping from the bench (especially with him being our 7 million pound investment, he's never going to realise his potential if he is dropped altogether). Can't see where you're coming from on that one, sorry. For me, he's in form and deserves a chance to finally start or his confidence will go. Granted, I didn't see today's game (work) so don't know about his overall performance, but from the disallowed goal he is clearly consistently having an impact at last.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

The criticism of Dack is bizarre. If he doesn't score we often don't. It's worth noting only 5 goals have come form open play this season that haven't been scored by him. 5 GOALS IN 18 GAMES. 

Hes the playmaker yet when regularly marked out the game there isnt enough quality to create the chances.

The other week he scored a late penalty yet did nothing in the previous 85 minutes

6 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

and if his defence has played like complete lemons ..?

Come on pal. The manager has completely dodged the question and the reporter has let him. He's allegedly 7 million pounds worth of striker sitting on his bench as well as a converted winger/striker on the pitch. Not good enough.

• Like 1

Just now, Franky said:

Hes the playmaker yet when regularly marked out the game there isnt enough quality to create the chances.

The other week he scored a late penalty yet did nothing in the previous 85 minutes

That says more about the rest of the team. If he's getting marked every week with sometimes 2 players there should be gaps elsewhere. 

I wouldn't say he's the playmaker either. He's there to score goals which he does better than any other No.10 in the division.  We don't really have a playmaker. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

No disputing that, but today was predictable as soon as the team was read out. 

Injuries the reason for team selection today and clearly Brereton isn't ready, regardless of what fans on here think.

Mowbray knows his players better than we do, but you'd hope has some regrets about starting like he did today...

Edited by Gav

Just now, Tom Stinny said:

Come on pal. The manager has completely dodged the question and the reporter has let him. He's allegedly 7 million pounds worth of striker sitting on his bench as well as a converted winger/striker on the pitch. Not good enough.

Yeah but ..again if his defence have played like Lemons ..?

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

You laughed at Jim when he predicted a 3-1 defeat before kick off. You’d think you’d be a little less vocal after making yourself look so foolish.

Mowbray once again picked a team with no strikers. It must give the opposition so much confidence and a platform to get forward.

You mention a lack of motivation. How can Mowbray’s selection not demotivate players? Fans shake their heads so players must too.

Mowbray, like any manager, will get stick when he gets something wrong. I expect he’s big enough to accept that.

Common sense, I don't see how difficult is to for some to see it.

You don't gamble on team selection when your defense is leaky.

Jim was spot on.

32 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

Questions I'd like the manager to answer after this game.

1: why choose to play no striker from the start of the game. What benefits did he see from it.

2: why has Dacks form fallen of a cliff over the last 6 weeks. Does he get a free pass?

3: What was the reason for signing Brereton? Improve our profits or our team quality?

4: Do you think the fans deserve better? And what should our aim be this season?

5: Why can we beat a stoke away or compete with a WBA away but then fall to bits against lesser teams in Preston and Bristol city?

6: How are you going to improve resent performances? Results matter yes but you get found out eventually when performances are poor

7: Is Dack behaving in a professional manner that will benifit the team. Or has his head been turned?

Question 7 is to people on here. Personally there have been far far far better players than Dack who have played for Rovers who have left and the team and club have continued on.

If he doesn't 100% want to be here tell him to jog on with his Essex mates. He'll go down the David Bentley route and become a forgotten man soon enough.

Exactly the questions we need answers to. 

I’ve no idea about any speculation about Dack, as I haven’t read anything over the last week on here. Has there been any PL interest/rumours? Unfortunately, that kind of thing is going to play on the mind of most players. Especially nowadays where image is everything. He probably wouldn’t enjoy playing at say West Ham, as much as he does here. But, imagine the Instagram potential when he’s playing against Citeh and Man Yoo?

If I were him, I’d feel forever grateful of how my manager maybe kept me out of prison, standing by me and saving the the outstanding potential I have. Showing that commitment and loyalty works both ways. 

You’ve just got to hope he hasn’t got another southern girlfriend, or even a glamour puss girlfriend.  We aren’t that fashionable(surely Barry can get us a Louis Vuitton sponsership? Raya can wear leather gloves!). 

Can’t we start a campaigne to find Bradley a nice local lass? Stunningly hot, but leads a nice quiet life. And is completely against social media and is a Buddhist? 

On a positive note, we have a great bunch of lads, Charlie and co. will be having a word I’m sure, though it may just pass through the ears.  

Edited by Dan

20 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Asked Sharpe on Twitter to ask and he said he would. Suspected it’s because ‘Graham can’t play 46 games’ yet I) he hasn’t played for 2 weeks and II) why didn’t he bring in a Graham alternative in the summer instead of splashing £7m on a ‘winger’ in Brereton? 

The question that needs to be asked isn't about why Graham gets dropped, which is what I suspect Sharpe will ask or accept for an answer...what needs asking is the thinking behind who he brings in to replace him. Why Dack or Palmer and not Armstrong or Brereton?