BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers away at Preston NE: 24th November 2018 - 3pm. The match thread.

A bad day at the office for all concerned - manager and players.  We move on to the next match but today underlined the points made by Mowbray on Thursday about the squad needing to be strengthened.  I'm afraid I can't join the usual BRFCS doom and gloom when I look at a league table that shows us tenth with just four defeats out of 18.  We've had a pretty decent season so far for a newly promoted club and one defeat - disappointing as it was - doesn't really change that.  

A mid-table finish would be a decent platform on which to build - which was what most on here hoped for before a ball was kicked last August.

I think today was a perfect illustration that in this League any team can beat any other team on the day.  It's what makes the Championship such an interesting League.  

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

We were done down both flanks for 4 goals! Nyambe and Williams as full backs' responsibility is defence. They were both shit!

Defending is every bodies responsibility. Both full-backs where constantly isolated. In the first twenty minutes Preston concentrated on that tactic by using a longer ball and totally by-passing midfield. 

Have to say was relieved to see your teamsheet didn't contain a proper, physical striker. Our defenders are alright but balls into the box have caused us problems at the times this season, whereas when teams try to pass pass pass we seem to deal with it relatively easily then pick them off on the counter.

• Backroom
Just now, north_ender said:

Have to say was relieved to see your teamsheet didn't contain a proper, physical striker. Our defenders are alright but balls into the box have caused us problems at the times this season, whereas when teams try to pass pass pass we seem to deal with it relatively easily then pick them off on the counter.

I bet you couldn't believe your luck. First that team sheet, then we come out and play the first fifteen minutes like we've been on a week long bender. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, north_ender said:

Yep that's what disappointed me the most. You were at panic stations every time a decent ball was put in the box first half but we hadn't the physicality to capitalise. So HT we bring Graham on, get a quality ball in and score. Bingo I think, that's the blueprint to go on and win the game. Unfortunately the players then drop deep as if they're protecting a 1 goal lead, shit out of 50 - 50s and get dicked. I don't recall one more quality ball into the box after the goal as we started to play false 9 tactics with a real number 9 on the pitch. Piss poor.

Edited by LDRover

27 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Yep that's what disappointed me the most. You were at panic stations every time a decent ball was put in the box first half but we hadn't the physicality to capitalise. So HT we bring Graham on, get a quality ball in and score. Bingo I think, that's the blueprint to go on and win the game. Unfortunately the players then drop deep as if they're protecting a 1 goal lead, shit out of 50 - 50s and get dicked. I don't recall one more quality ball into the box after the goal as we started to play false 9 tactics with a real number 9 on the pitch. Piss poor.

To be fair to our players, they managed the situation quite calmly after giving away that goal and then continued to use the counter as the game went on. Pearson was just magnificent (again) in midfield IMHO, and as result I thought he ran the game second half.

I expected a bit more from some of your attacking players, although as we've already established, the lack of a proper striker does have an impact. Most teams need some sort of physical presence up there to bring out the best in the others, more technical types (Dack, Armstrong, and Palmer for you).

It's something we have struggled with since Hugill was inexplicably sold at the last moment in January. Some of the other attackers thrived off playing with a physical presence and then it was just gone. Nmecha can put himself about but is very young, we still need a target man signing in January really after failing to sign Kieffer Moore during the summer window.

10 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Gut feeling says another Bristol City / Swansea today. North End in good form and our leaky defence won't be able to cope.

3-1 defeat

Bigdogsteel posted a laughing emoticon on this but the team selection and Mowbray's negative mindset pointed to this debacle from the start.

Mercer should have learnt by now you make more money betting on a Rovers defeat than victory.

It's obvious Rovers aren't good enough to make the top 6 - which is disappointing because the division seems wide open.

Lenihan needs to be replaced by a big strong centre half and we still need a quality left back.

Wasting £7m on Brereton seems a mystery when there are glaring weaknesses in the team 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AAK said:

Williams an nyambe were a joke, the whole back 4 was. The hype around mulgrew is astounding. Hes shite at this level and people don't like it. He'll be injured soon.

Mulgrew is a class player but not a bruiser he needs a Hanley next to him but main problem with Charlie boy is he's a country before club man and it doesn't do him any favours.

Most of his plaudits at club level are won by his on the ball stuff not the muck and bullets. Wish we could find a new version of the young Colin Hendy !

19 minutes ago, north_ender said:

To be fair to our players, they managed the situation quite calmly after giving away that goal and then continued to use the counter as the game went on. Pearson was just magnificent (again) in midfield IMHO, and as result I thought he ran the game second half.

I expected a bit more from some of your attacking players, although as we've already established, the lack of a proper striker does have an impact. Most teams need some sort of physical presence up there to bring out the best in the others, more technical types (Dack, Armstrong, and Palmer for you).

It's something we have struggled with since Hugill was inexplicably sold at the last moment in January. Some of the other attackers thrived off playing with a physical presence and then it was just gone. Nmecha can put himself about but is very young, we still need a target man signing in January really after failing to sign Kieffer Moore during the summer window.

Got to say never really noticed Pearson stand out too much on television. Today though, wow what a player, very impressed.

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

A bad day at the office for all concerned - manager and players.  We move on to the next match but today underlined the points made by Mowbray on Thursday about the squad needing to be strengthened.  I'm afraid I can't join the usual BRFCS doom and gloom when I look at a league table that shows us tenth with just four defeats out of 18.  We've had a pretty decent season so far for a newly promoted club and one defeat - disappointing as it was - doesn't really change that.  

A mid-table finish would be a decent platform on which to build - which was what most on here hoped for before a ball was kicked last August.

I think today was a perfect illustration that in this League any team can beat any other team on the day.  It's what makes the Championship such an interesting League.  

You're quite correct in the 'where we are' appraisal parson but we all knew we'd finish pointless today when we heard the starting line up. The worry for me is that within the next 7 or 8 tough upcoming matches, we could very much be staring down the barrel, never mind patting ourselves on the back. I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised.

25 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Bigdogsteel posted a laughing emoticon on this but the team selection and Mowbray's negative mindset pointed to this debacle from the start.

Mercer should have learnt by now you make more money betting on a Rovers defeat than victory.

It's obvious Rovers aren't good enough to make the top 6 - which is disappointing because the division seems wide open.

Lenihan needs to be replaced by a big strong centre half and we still need a quality left back.

Wasting £7m on Brereton seems a mystery when there are glaring weaknesses in the team 

James, as I have said consistently, betting on Rovers is a bit of fun.  Sports Trading, betting with an edge, is my forte and where I make money.

I think Brereton signing is one huge b o l l o c k dropped.

Talked with one ex pro tonight who thought we were a total embarrassment today. 

The team selection was mystifying but, just as important, the players weren't up for it from the start. They've had a long break so why weren't they ready and raring to go, like Preston?  It's Mowbray's job to motivate them and get them in the right frame of mind but is he too "nice" with them, too much of a father figure they look up to rather a boss they fear?  Everyone failed today, the manager and the players, but the responsibility for that farce of a performance rests with the manager. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, north_ender said:

you were bloody 2 up before we realised who was playing where, never mind owt else!

Mowbray f***ed up today, not for the first time. Hopefully he'll learn but I won't hold my breath.

14 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I notice no one has posted links to that PNE forum tonight ...

Probably crashed with all the euphoria !

Euphoria? This isn't ten years ago, you know? Burnley is the cock of Lancashire, and Rovers were in the third tier a year ago. Unimaginable ten years back. 

Meh! That was horrific. Probably in the top 5 worst displays in the last 18 months by Rovers.  Lets say Rovers have some cash to spend in the next window, we need to focus on Defense.  Good backup keeper for Raya, a new center back, right back cover for Nyambe, then focus on a goalscorer if we can find one.  I love Mulgrew and Lenihan, and I dont want to drop either of them, however if the competition for spots is more fierce then perhaps their performances on the pitch will improve.  Look at midfield, we have so much depth in the squad that Rothwell has problems getting a start.  Competition is healthy for the rest of the squad.  We looked tired, lacked drive and energy today, hoping its just a blip in the road, and if we can bounce back on Wednesday this will seem much less a nasty result.  Thoughts from the Gaffa and more. 

"He came on and made an impact, but I don’t sit here regretting the decisions I made with the team selection".

Mowbray pretty much exonerating himself for his wacky team selection. In the same article he says Graham didn't start as he hasn't really trained for two weeks. He also says Mulgrew had hardly trained too but he started him. There isn't a lot between them in terms of age. Some perverse logic there.

• Like 3