BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers away at Preston NE: 24th November 2018 - 3pm. The match thread.

38 minutes ago, arbitro said:

" but I don’t sit here regretting the decisions I made with the team selection"

So he's not made a mistake and would do same again. What can we expect at Wigan.

Edited by Cherry Blue

46 minutes ago, arbitro said:

"He came on and made an impact, but I don’t sit here regretting the decisions I made with the team selection".

Mowbray pretty much exonerating himself for his wacky team selection. In the same article he says Graham didn't start as he hasn't really trained for two weeks. He also says Mulgrew had hardly trained too but he started him. There isn't a lot between them in terms of age. Some perverse logic there.

Worrying comments. He could well play 4-6-0 again. Sounds like he is starting to lose the plot.

• Like 2

Awful day. Deserved nothing. At least we turned up for half the game at Bristol.

Clearly TM can’t let go this false number 9 nonesense. It’s never looked like working. At best it should be a last resort. We may not have beaten Preston regardless but at least get the right players on the pitch.

Nyambe was our most dangerous player, think that says it all. 

Waste of time and money. Won’t be making the same mistake again until at least Tuesday.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gav said:

The managers doing a great job, take a look at the league man.

Today was awful, all over the park as I've already said, trying reading what people post instead of trying to break the posting record. 

I never said the manager isn't doing a great job. Don't straw man me please. The manager is doing a great job. Today wasn't a shining example of it, and he does make errors, like any other human being. We're entitled to point it out when they happen without it being Tony hate, or as though we don't think he's doing a great job.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Awful day. Deserved nothing. At least we turned up for half the game at Bristol.

Clearly TM can’t let go this false number 9 nonesense. It’s never looked like working. At best it should be a last resort. We may not have beaten Preston regardless but at least get the right players on the pitch.

Nyambe was our most dangerous player, think that says it all. 

Waste of time and money. Won’t be making the same mistake again until at least Tuesday.

The managers one and only job is to get the best out of the team for the benifit of the club and it's fans.

If he wants to play footie manager and fantasies about being pep guardiola then simply bin the guy off. Do the job properly or go.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

"He came on and made an impact, but I don’t sit here regretting the decisions I made with the team selection".

Fans would be happier if I had held up his hands and admitted he made a mistake.

It's this sort of nonsense that drives a wedge between fans and a manager and is often the prelude to a turn in sentiment against a manager and their eventual departure

We're not anywhere near that stage with Mowbray but he's not helping himself by making such a statement

"Honest" Tony is being dishonest

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to accept that we've supposedly spent £7 million on a centre forward from Forest, but are going into matches with no CF on the pitch because inevitably Danny Graham can't play every week. A blind man would have seen a problem with Graham coming sooner or later. Why with this apparent huge pot of cash available did be invest it all into a player who he point blank refuses to start in a game, preferring instead to meddle with the team and come up with some bizarre line up in Graham's absence?

Any other Championship club who has allegedly spent £7 million on a player only to refuse to start him even when short on numbers and depth?

Just what is going on? Look around and other clubs with less cash and resources than us have assembled squads with depth who can cope with injuries e.g. Preston. We're turning up and starting with no striker and have a 7 million lad sat on the bench only allowed to play for 20 minutes in a wide position.

Utterly bizarre and really when you sit and think about it something just doesn't feel right about that signing. The way it came about, the money involved and what has happened since. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TAFKAP said:

Euphoria? This isn't ten years ago, you know? Burnley is the cock of Lancashire, and Rovers were in the third tier a year ago. Unimaginable ten years back. 

So just the usual 5 or 6 Rovers related threads running then, no new ones ? ?

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Alot of police in the town centre before and after the game with a few kick offs between fans. some scenes were awful and total unnecessary to see and witnessed. Came home at 6.30pm cos of it. 

I must have missed all that as we walked up from, and back to, the Greyfriar calling in most pubs on the way and saw no trouble at all.

Preston fans generally couldn't believe how bad we were after the game.

Admitedly we left at about 87 minutes so didn't stick around for the final whistle. It was a good day apart from 3pm till 5pm.

Just watched the sky highlights before I comment on the game as what a horror show of defending that is.

The first two are decent finishes but it's so easy. Nyambe s held his hand up on Twitter for the second. Lenihan get sucked out and fails to win the ball for the opener.

Despite how poor we had been, at 2-1 I fancied us to get something out of the game but Williams was rancid for the third. Had Brereton goal stood immediately after we may still have got the grandstand finish but the offside call ended any hope. I couldn't see how he could be offside at the time but it's not shown on the sky highlights so can't tell for sure.

Poor, poor performance. The decision to leave Graham on the bench has been well covered. I would hope this would comprehensively end Tony's thoughts of doing it again but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 4

• Moderation Lead

The most disappointing thing for me is that the PNE fan posted that they were susceptible to high balls into the box, so why on earth did our manager not instruct the players pepper them with them??

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

The most disappointing thing for me is that the PNE fan posted that they were susceptible to high balls into the box, so why on earth did our manager not instruct the players pepper them with them??

Just seen the Brereton 'goal' which is not offside regardless of whether Dack touches it or not (he doesn't). However that comes from another high ball into the box which DG knocks down.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to accept that we've supposedly spent £7 million on a centre forward from Forest, but are going into matches with no CF on the pitch because inevitably Danny Graham can't play every week. A blind man would have seen a problem with Graham coming sooner or later. Why with this apparent huge pot of cash available did be invest it all into a player who he point blank refuses to start in a game, preferring instead to meddle with the team and come up with some bizarre line up in Graham's absence?

Any other Championship club who has allegedly spent £7 million on a player only to refuse to start him even when short on numbers and depth?

Just what is going on? Look around and other clubs with less cash and resources than us have assembled squads with depth who can cope with injuries e.g. Preston. We're turning up and starting with no striker and have a 7 million lad sat on the bench only allowed to play for 20 minutes in a wide position.

Utterly bizarre and really when you sit and think about it something just doesn't feel right about that signing. The way it came about, the money involved and what has happened since. 

Agreed. The only way it makes sense is if it was a Venkys signing and not a Mowbray one.

Mowbray seemed happy about the signing although tried to play down the transfer fee. Was that his way of trying to avoid feeling pressured to play him because of the price tag?

The fact that he seems to be going out of his way not to pick him, and instead dreaming up new formations and moving players around, does tell its own story though.

He is also reluctant to admit he made any mistakes which suggests if he started yesterday again he still wouldn’t have started Brereton. If he doesn’t play then he won’t pay back his transfer fee on the field - nor off it.

One does wonder how this one will play out. Not being able to find room (let alone finding a formation/role) for Venkys marquee signing, yet not getting adequate results or performances - and maybe even asking for more money will test they faith they have in him.

Some people defend his “only four defeats in 18”, others note his “only 6 wins”. Once again, it comes down to the different perspectives of what is negative. Are fans being negative to want better performances and more wins? Are fans positive if they happily accept mediocre results and make excuses for days like yesterday? £7m spent on one player automatically raises expectations about where this club could go. Wasting that on a flop while playing League One players will undoubtedly raise eyebrows - and rightly so in my view.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

A bad day at the office for all concerned - manager and players.  We move on to the next match but today underlined the points made by Mowbray on Thursday about the squad needing to be strengthened.  I'm afraid I can't join the usual BRFCS doom and gloom when I look at a league table that shows us tenth with just four defeats out of 18.  We've had a pretty decent season so far for a newly promoted club and one defeat - disappointing as it was - doesn't really change that.  

A mid-table finish would be a decent platform on which to build - which was what most on here hoped for before a ball was kicked last August.

I think today was a perfect illustration that in this League any team can beat any other team on the day.  It's what makes the Championship such an interesting League.  

Bit disingenuous here Parson. You're certainly correct that a mid-table finish was what most did hope for before the season kicked off. However, expectations have been raised by outstanding results so that we were within touching distance of Top 6. The LT ran a headline recently proclaiming such!

As you say, anyone can beat anyone in this League this season which gave us even more hope that the chance was there for us.

Further, the squad does have to be strengthened in January but if TM continues to baffle with selections and square pegs continue to be hammered into round holes, it won't make enough difference.

Totally embarrassing and not for the first time this season we have folded like a pack of cards. Mowbray trying to over complicate things thinking that he is some sort of tactical genius, really felt sorry for Palmer playing a role that he was clearly foreign to him. It's clear now that we spent £7 million on someone who we thought was a striker but is actually a reserve winger. I could have understood dropping Graham for the Rotherham game as he was looking knackered but dropping him after he had just had a 2 week break was crazy especially as we appear to have no viable alternative. The whole defence was shocking yesterday that's as bad as we have defended since Mowbray arrived. Bennett poor again in two positions a bit of luck that he's suspended on Wednesday as it means that Mowbray hasn't got to make the decision to drop him (which I don't think he would). Evans was a big miss again to he has become one of our key players, I assume he is injured so lets hope he is fit for Wednesday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Been saying this for months.