BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers away at Preston NE: 24th November 2018 - 3pm. The match thread.

10 minutes ago, north_ender said:

I was reliably told at the time that we missed out on both Armstrong (matched your bid) and Palmer (loan obviously) to you in the summer. Surprised to hear that they have underwhelmed a bit.

If Palmer had a run in a team playing in one position I get the feeling that there is plenty of ability there however here he has been in and out the side playing a variety different positions, I can see Chelsea recalling him in January. As for Armstrong you didn't miss out on much there he was decent for us in League 1 but had struggled in the Championship previously and it's easy to see why his running is one dimensional and he is muscled off the ball to easy.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Spot on about Brereton I don't think it's dodgy but could go down the somebody advising somebody line and Mowbray has gone along with it. Nothing has convinced me from the get go that he was a target of TM it seems like something that just cropped up and they went for it quickly.

This lad is still at the development stage and as I've said he'd be better still getting some U23 games under his belt or even going on loan to league 1 as mad as that might sound. If he was still at Forest or had come through our own set up chances are that's what would be happening.  As I've argued before if he really isn't physically ready to make a decent contribution, Mowbray has more less said that, then we should've had somebody who could and leave this one to develop slowly or left it alone.

Some somewhere will be hoping to make a good few quid quite quickly on this lad after getting him on our books that's why he's here !

The way that Mowbray talks about Brereton I'm beginning to wonder if he'd ever seen him play before signing him as the way he talks it seems like the player he's got is the player he thought that he had signed. You'd hope that plenty of homework was done on the lad before spending such a big sum of money. If you'd have said to Rovers fans that we would spend £7 Million on a player I'm sure that we would have all thought that by December he would have started a few games yet he still hasn't started a game. Are we really in a position to spend £7 Million on a young impact sub who may or may not have some potential?

53 minutes ago, Gav said:

Could this be the Venky hand meddling in team matters? 

I have no idea K-Hod, absolute speculation on my part, but would Mowbray use this sort of money on a player with potential only, when he's crying out for strength in other areas?

Agree Gav 7M spent on 2 or 3 players ready for the first team could have significantly improved the side. I suspect this has come from the same place as the Rhodes purchase

Back to the game, there were clearly two major problems: the side picked and a succession of schoolboy defensive errors. But I don’t buy that the latter was caused by the former. Did the formation impede our ability to recover from two soft goals? Unquestionably.

As to what Danny Graham brings to the team, I’m beginning to think it’s lot more than hold the ball up. It’s hold the ball up in dangerous areas and unselfishly set Dack up, something none of the others played up front do. 

Edited by Exiled in Toronto
  • Like 1

The Brereton situation is bizarre. He may have massive potential but if we are going to be paying £7m on a player he needs to be in the first XI and regularly influencing games.  If he’s not doing that then he’s not worth the money because it’s now that we need a striker not in 2 or 3 years time.  If we had a load of spare cash we could invest in potential but we can’t do that with that kind of money for no immediate return, especially as the manager doesn’t think Graham can play every game.

i can’t help thinking it’s a dodgy agent thing but is that just because I’m scarred after 8 years of the Vs.

• Like 9

One interesting aspect of the match - as poor as we played (especially in defense) - if Brereton's goal had stood (as TM feels it should) - we could easily have gone on to draw the match.

As I said previously - I didn't feel PNE were that good - and the time wasting from the 11th minute on was embarrassing for a home side.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, alcd said:

Brereton is looking like the Grabbi signing for £6m. Pretty much unheard of, did nothing and disappeared without trace. Very negligent top spend so much for so little.

I liked Grabbi - he just needed a goal to kick start his career at Rovers. Could all have been different if his goal against United had been allowed.

Confidence is a big thing in football - just a shame his goal was disallowed yesterday

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I sought off disagree on the recruitment side apart from a pacey winger. I think we had a good recruitment window. Armstrong has been poor and that's dwon to form. Palmer is too much of show pony for me and work rate not good enough. Rothwell should be starting for me. Its a long season and I expect we see Rothwell and Rodwell more as the season goes on. 

Its down to everyone yes but Dack is in the key position. Sometimes he got to more clever and drift wide and use his skills. Staying central is easier for the opposition and they can man marked him out of the game and sit deep. Norwood and Pearson did the job on him and we lost both games comfortable.  

I got laughed at on here when I suggested that our Summer recruitment consisted in the main of midfield players who are all of a muchness.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Having just watched the goals again, Williams shares blame for the first, he had no idea the guy who scored was there. And I didn’t realize live that the last goal was a two forwards vs four defenders and it might as well have been a two man breakaway. What a shambles.

It’s was in slow motion as well, and all of them got pulled to the ball. It was remarkedly embarrassing. Boy fluffed his finished too.  Thank god we play Wednesday.

21 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Having just watched the goals again, Williams shares blame for the first, he had no idea the guy who scored was there. And I didn’t realize live that the last goal was a two forwards vs four defenders and it might as well have been a two man breakaway. What a shambles.

There are horrors everywhere. For the third goal, Mulgrew should be clattering the ball, their striker and Reed all out of the area as they prod it in. It's almost like him and Reed left it to each other to clear.

Edited by Hasta

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

yes your mate Coyley? yes such a good manager isn't he? 

transfer dealings again mixed? abit like your predictions and betting dealings? :lol: Pleased you aren't in charge of my money :D

Please note, all Mercer's comment (whether you agree with him or not)  are non-personal and present his football views. Your's are all entirely personal and, frankly, childish.

10 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Bell normally is sloppy and Williams normally is steady. Williams was apparently appalling yesterday. What's yer beef, chief?

Probably the fact Williams is shocking at left back and opposing players run in behind him at will.

Bell is by no means perfect but by far the better of the two imo. Unfortunately Williams appears to be one of TM's favourites and he can't seem to bear to leave him out of the side.

• Like 1

It's all been said re the PNE match. Shocking selection and performance. 

From what I've seen of Brereton, and I'm no football scout, he looks very, very capable. He's big, fast, tricky. He needs to be starting regularly up front, with or without Graham. He and Dack seem to have an understanding. Rothwell needs to start as well.

Williams is a good CB but hopeless at LB. Bell for me please; if not where is Caddis when you need him?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Haha and he's got Luis Figo tattooed to his neck ?

I would say that it is Monsieur Cantona ?

Re the game, I think our lot were still on the international break until 15:30.

Also, a bit rich for Mowbray to be making excuses re Graham and Mulgrew so soon after handing them new contracts.

A bit of reality now setting in, and we will learn a lot more about where we're at by Christmas.

3 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

One interesting aspect of the match - as poor as we played (especially in defense) - if Brereton's goal had stood (as TM feels it should) - we could easily have gone on to draw the match.

As I said previously - I didn't feel PNE were that good - and the time wasting from the 11th minute on was embarrassing for a home side.

Pne weren't good at all. They took their chances. We were awful at the back. Had an argument with a Preston fan after as he claims they outclassed us? Looking at the scorline you could say that. With regards to possession and chances we were better. If it wasn't for that first goal so early on, the result would of been different IMO.

Edited by BankEnd Rover

8 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

On Thursday Mowbray said quite categorically, on and off the record, that Brereton is not ready to play down the middle due to his lack of upper body strength, inability to hold the ball up or turn defenders. I am convinced he was not Mowbray's choice when he was signed ( See Ben Brereton thread for full discussion). Venky's playing some sort of Moneyball game in my opinion.

I find that explanation somewhat baffling. On first sight Brereton looks a big powerful lad and there doesn't seem to be any obvious reason from his stature and physique why he couldn't be starting on his own up top.

I find it bizarre that any Championship Club would spend £7m on a player and not attempt to make them the main man. When all other alternatives are out and midfielders are put there in preference it becomes incomprehensible.

I'm starting to wonder if BB wasn't a Mowbray signing and TM is leaving him out deliberately to make a point to the owners that he's the boss. Either way I feel very sorry for Brereton who in his last 3 cameo appearances out of position has managed to contribute 2 assists and a decent finish arguably wrongly chalked out for offside.

If he isn't the answer up front after he's played there, so be it. But give the lad a chance for heaven's sake.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

The way that Mowbray talks about Brereton I'm beginning to wonder if he'd ever seen him play before signing him as the way he talks it seems like the player he's got is the player he thought that he had signed. You'd hope that plenty of homework was done on the lad before spending such a big sum of money. If you'd have said to Rovers fans that we would spend £7 Million on a player I'm sure that we would have all thought that by December he would have started a few games yet he still hasn't started a game. Are we really in a position to spend £7 Million on a young impact sub who may or may not have some potential?

I just think he might have been someone they'd looked at over time and maybe enquired about but thought it was a no goer then all of a sudden he became available at the last min so they dived in without too much thought just to grasp him before anyone else did.

Someone must've advised someone higher up that it was a good idea to get the go ahead, the reasons would be multiple but certainly improving the team this season wasn't one of them which is odd given the amount of money.

Maybe Venkys were desperate to make some kind of statement, get a bit of publicity and flex a few muscles but only wanted to do it with this type of signing so someone has brought it to the table. I don't believe for a second TM himself wouldn't have wanted 7 million or a chunk of it to bolster the side straight away !

4 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Haha and he's got Luis Figo tattooed to his neck ?

He must be a Prestoner they have many dual club fans it seems !

Mentioned it before but a guy Preston born and bred used to come into the local with his two kids all with PNE shirts on on a Sat evening for something to eat then they'd all turn up for Super Sunday as it was the day after in UTD tops when they were on telly. And he hated Rovers to boot, odd odd bunch.

• Like 1