Sign in to follow this  
Proudtobeblue&white

Rovers away at Preston NE: 24th November 2018 - 3pm. The match thread.

8 hours ago, Andy Kennedys Hairdo said:

He did indeed. Think the game 47er is referring to was in October '59:

Blackburn Rovers v Preston North End 1-4 (H/T 1-2) Saturday, 3 October 1959, Ewood Park, attendance: 41,694

Rovers: Leyland; Taylor, Smith, England, Woods, McGrath, Isherwood, Douglas, Dobing, Vernon, MacLeod

Preston North End: Else; Cunningham, Walton, Milne, Dunn II, Smith, Mayers, Farrall, Finney, Sneddon, Taylor

Scorers: 1-0 Dobing (1.), 1-1 T.Finney (4.), 1-2 S.Taylor (28.), 1-3 Sneddon (52.), 1-3 Farrall (68.)

So, an ageing Finney coming to the end of his career rang rings around us. In his younger days he played right wing for North End, left wing for England and, towards the end of his career, played centre forward scoring many goals. What a superb player he was.

That Rovers team looked a bit weak. Bill Smith(?) at left back, Ken Taylor at right back, Roy Isherwood on the right wing and no Ronnie Clayton. Hmmm.

My dad always said that Finney was easily the best player he ever saw in his time  watching Rovers from the late 1930s-2000s

Edited by TonyM

9 hours ago, bazza said:

So, an ageing Finney coming to the end of his career rang rings around us. In his younger days he played right wing for North End, left wing for England and, towards the end of his career, played centre forward scoring many goals. What a superb player he was.

That Rovers team looked a bit weak. Bill Smith(?) at left back, Ken Taylor at right back, Roy Isherwood on the right wing and no Ronnie Clayton. Hmmm.

It's an interesting one, Bazza, when you consider that this was the team picked to play Leicester the following week:

Rovers: Leyland; Bray, Pickering, R.Clayton, Woods, McGrath, Douglas, Dobing, Dougan, McEvoy, MacLeod  

Looks like Duncan wasn't impressed with the performance v Preston and made a number of changes. Seems to have had the desired effect as it resulted in a 2-3 win. 

1 hour ago, Andy Kennedys Hairdo said:

It's an interesting one, Bazza, when you consider that this was the team picked to play Leicester the following week:

Rovers: Leyland; Bray, Pickering, R.Clayton, Woods, McGrath, Douglas, Dobing, Dougan, McEvoy, MacLeod  

Looks like Duncan wasn't impressed with the performance v Preston and made a number of changes. Seems to have had the desired effect as it resulted in a 2-3 win. 

Now that surprises me because I always remember Andy McEvoy not moving to inside forward (or second striker) until later than that.

Always a tricky one this. Form book goes out the window with this fixture, which might be a good thing as Preston despite their league position have been in top notch form. Turned the corner at a very good time, as we get into the mad Christmas period. If they play their cards right they could be bubbling in the top half before we end 2018.  As for Rovers, next two matches are MASSIVE, very winnable, but also very lose-able! Hoping Tony & Co have rested easy this week, and fingers crossed we have a fresher looking squad with Nyambe and Mulgrew back. Could this be the day... that Big Ben makes a name for himself?! 

• Like 3

On 17/11/2018 at 13:30, blueboy3333 said:

It is indeed. There's even  a pie and ale shop opening just off Winkley Square this month. Butter Pie and beer. It's the future.

otters-pocket-2.jpg?x39698

The Otter's Pocket is now open.

• Thanks 1

To be honest for anyone coming from Blackburn to Preston the bus is just as good an option as the train anyway. The bus station is a 10 minute walk from the ground and the train station about 20 minutes,.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, only2garners said:

To be honest for anyone coming from Blackburn to Preston the bus is just as good an option as the train anyway. The bus station is a 10 minute walk from the ground and the train station about 20 minutes,.

Guessing the 59 will be packed?

51 minutes ago, only2garners said:

No idea - I'll be on the 3 coming from Penwortham!

Wave - I’m walking it down the hill! Three miles bang on an hour googlemaps reckons. 

I did debate walking and I might still if its a nice day, but I figured an hour each way walking with two hours + stood up might be a bit painful. Might do it one way though.

5 hours ago, caithnessman said:

https://d2cf7kiw5xizhy.cloudfront.net/images/timetables/bucket/blackpool---preston---colne-1553.pdf

Only trains from

Blackburn 10.13 & 12.13 

Preston 10.30 & 12.30

Return

Preston 18.39

Blackburn 18.57

Hope there's enough carriages put on

Get the bus. It's drops you a mile (ish) closer to Deepdale for a start. Last bus home 11pm. I posted the links earlier in this thread. 

Something occurred to me whilst reading this thread...I don't think I've ever seen a Rovers side where the fans disagreed so much over the midfield options. Everybody seems to name a different midfield five, sometimes drastically so. The only feature everyone agrees on is Dack in the middle of the three. Nice to have all these options. Although I'd also like to see some of the wide midfielders step up enough that people start consistently naming them in their preferred lineup. Notching some goals would help.

There's also widespread disagreement on the defensive two of the midfield. Personally I'd drop Smallwood, although he has had a couple of more reasonable games lately, we still have better options to partner Evans. Reed and Evans would be my pick there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Something occurred to me whilst reading this thread...I don't think I've ever seen a Rovers side where the fans disagreed so much over the midfield options. Everybody seems to name a different midfield five, sometimes drastically so. The only feature everyone agrees on is Dack in the middle of the three. Nice to have all these options. Although I'd also like to see some of the wide midfielders step up enough that people start consistently naming them in their preferred lineup. Notching some goals would help.

There's also widespread disagreement on the defensive two of the midfield. Personally I'd drop Smallwood, although he has had a couple of more reasonable games lately, we still have better options to partner Evans. Reed and Evans would be my pick there.

I think, Armstrong is nearly a cert pick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rigger said:

I think, Armstrong is nearly a cert pick.

Got a good feeling about Armstrong in this one. Really unlucky not to bag in the last couple of matches, but looking brighter in general play & I think Saturday will be his day. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Got a good feeling about Armstrong in this one. Really unlucky not to bag in the last couple of matches, but looking brighter in general play & I think Saturday will be his day. 

It just his finishing he needs to work on. He does all the hard work and just cant seem to finish. Hopefully once he get a few more goals that will improve.

26 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

It just his finishing he needs to work on. He does all the hard work and just cant seem to finish. Hopefully once he get a few more goals that will improve.

Or to put it another way, If he improves he will get a few goals

14 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Something occurred to me whilst reading this thread...I don't think I've ever seen a Rovers side where the fans disagreed so much over the midfield options. Everybody seems to name a different midfield five, sometimes drastically so.

Its because we have about enough midfielders to make up a complete team!