BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Darragh Lenihan

Darragh escaped one tonight. Dwelled on the ball and should have been made to pay for it. Needs to keep his concentration for International football. 

On another point, the player that Harrison Reed has always reminded me most of is Steven Davis. Would love us to keep hold of him. 

Just now, Doaksie said:

Darragh escaped one tonight. Dwelled on the ball and should have been made to pay for it. Needs to keep his concentration for International football. 

On another point, the player that Harrison Reed has always reminded me most of is Steven Davis. Would love us to keep hold of him. 

I had turned the game off at that point, but heard he made a big mistake alright. 

God that was bad. Northern Ireland should have won 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I had turned the game off at that point, but heard he made a big mistake alright. 

God that was bad. Northern Ireland should have won 

It wasn't one for the neutral! Northern Ireland looked the neater is possession and put together the most incisive moves, but I'm not sure we could buy a goal between us. We seem to have a few players that look well capable of playing International football. That's the difference in both our well drilled, solid play and the next tier up - a regular goal threat.

Edited by Doaksie

4 minutes ago, Doaksie said:

It wasn't one for the neutral! Northern Ireland looked the neater is possession and put together the most incisive moves, but I'm not sure we could buy a goal between us. We seem to have a few players that look well capable of playing International football. That's the difference in both our well drilled, solid play and the next tier up - a regular goal threat.

I think we are shite. Worst I ever remember. We just don't look comfortable on the ball. It's like there is no gameplan. Players that play well for their clubs look nervous for Ireland. It's weird. Ya, we were spoilt with Robbie Keane. Got a good 20 years out of him though! 

International football is a real nuisance now. Much prefer league games. 

I'm starting to sound like an oul lad now giving out about national team lol 

• 1 year later...

I feel this topic needs digging out rather than it being lost in the match thread. 

Darragh Lenihan is an absolute liability for us. It is as though he is confused with our press and is trying to do so as if he is a midfielder. That he feels he has to consistently try and pinch the ball. I've never seen a centre back with so many rushes of blood to the head, caught so far out of position, contesting balls in areas of the pitch which are so high risk. He is a liability and an accident waiting to happen.

It is no wonder we are moaning about our inability to defend when there are huge holes being left. Could you imagine being his defensive partner. Suddenly finding yourself 20 yards behind your fellow centre back through no fault of your own. 

I felt he was so, so bad in this performance that it has become impossible for his mistakes to be overlooked, which as one of our captains, I think he has a bit of immunity to scrutiny by Mowbray. Hopefully that stops after this game as if we are to get anywhere this season, he needs to either be dropped or just cool his head a little. 

• Like 7

I would say he's consistently been our best defender over the last few seasons. You can see that in the win/loss stats where he has played vs where he has not.

That said I agree he has looked all over the place in the 433 recently. Not comfortable with the high line at all.

Part of me suspects that playing alongside JRC who plays RB like he is Cafu and with only 3 mids in front of him has left him way too exposed which has contibuted to his deterioration.

So what can we do? Bring Ayala in is an obvious move but remember he is not very fast either which is a problem in the current system. The other is bring Nyambe in as our regular RB and play him there consistently. Save JRC at right back for where we are obviously dominant and need the quality balls in from wide.

More radically we could consider a more conservative 4231 for games where the other team can clearly do us on the break like Reading and Watford...

Whatever way forward getting more quality from Lenihan is going to be key. Ayala and Williams will pick up injuries and suspensions so we are going to be reliant again on him at some stage.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Lads having a bad spell it happens and constant changing of personal next to him, in front of him and in the sticks enforced AND unenforced won't have helped. 

Needs a break imo, he's looking like the raw converted mid again he did years ago.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I would say he's consistently been our best defender over the last few seasons. You can see that in the win/loss stats where he has played vs where he has not.

That said I agree he has looked all over the place in the 433 recently. Not comfortable with the high line at all.

Part of me suspects that playing alongside JRC who plays RB like he is Cafu and with only 3 mids in front of him has left him way too exposed which has contibuted to his deterioration.

So what can we do? Bring Ayala in is an obvious move but remember he is not very fast either which is a problem in the current system. The other is bring Nyambe in as our regular RB and play him there consistently. Save JRC at right back for where we are obviously dominant and need the quality balls in from wide.

More radically we could consider a more conservative 4231 for games where the other team can clearly do us on the break like Reading and Watford...

Whatever way forward getting more quality from Lenihan is going to be key. Ayala and Williams will pick up injuries and suspensions so we are going to be reliant again on him at some stage.

Kevin Moran wasn't fast but he could read the game and was as hard as nails ...

• Like 1

Lenihan was the player who was the subject of £10m bid from a PL club. I have absolutely no reason to doubt the information as the person who told me has never given me wrong information. With Mowbray being a man of integrity I think he would have told him. If so I wonder if his head has been turned and it is adversely effecting his form.

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Lenihan was the player who was the subject of £10m bid from a PL club. I have absolutely no reason to doubt the information as the person who told me has never given me wrong information. With Mowbray being a man of integrity I think he would have told him. If so I wonder if his head has been turned and it is adversely effecting his form.

What are we doing turning down a 10 million bid for Lenihen that is crazy.

In my opinion he is better than his current form showing but even at his best worth 3 million max

I've never really rated Lenihan. If I recall correctly, he became a makeshift centre half due to necessity, and happened to be there on Mowbray's arrival. I doubt Mowbray ever knew he was actually a midfielder.

He has often looked suspect, and is badly exposed in the current set up in which the full backs play ridiculously high, especially the right back for some reason. 

The whole defensive strategy needs to change. We are far too cavalier and need to calm down a bit. It's as though Kevin Keegan has suddenly come in. Lenihan was in panic mode last night. Intimidated by Joao, he resorted to lunging in like a Sunday league hoofer.