BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Darragh Lenihan

31 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Lenihan was the player who was the subject of £10m bid from a PL club. I have absolutely no reason to doubt the information as the person who told me has never given me wrong information. With Mowbray being a man of integrity I think he would have told him. If so I wonder if his head has been turned and it is adversely effecting his form.

Bloody hell. I question Mowbray even more if he didn't sell Lenihan for £10m.

• Like 1

Lenihan follwed the man he was marking, Trybull also came over and the ball pretty much went between both of them. JRC dived in and was pipped to the ball, Williams seemed to misjudge the speed of the Reading player and the result if the ball in the back of the net.

35 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I know JRC sold himself on this second goal. I just cant understand why Lenihan is on the halfway line about 15 yards from our own striker 

Screenshot_20201028-112556_Facebook.jpg

That photo will be going in to a coaching manual illustrating how not to defend. We're all over the place. Nos 7 and 11 plus their guy on the centre circle are on the move. Our guys nearest the ball are flat footed.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Lenihan was a midfield player before he converted to centre back and although he could deal with League One's lumbering forwards at this higher level it's starting to show against some very talented players. If we want to start challenging for promotion he needs to be replaced. 

• Like 3

It looked bad when I watched it, but Christ, if a picture ever told a story........

Evans & DouIglas (I think) are both ball watching whilst their 7 & 11 just wander into the vast chasm in front of Williams & JRC

If Lenihan has gone with his man, then Trybull needs to drop deep, or better still DL stays where he is and let Trybull pick him up. Take DL out of that picture and put him between Del & JRC & all of a sudden it doesn't look quite as bad. Apart from Douglas & Evans having a nap obviously!

On 28/10/2020 at 19:28, ben_the_beast said:

I know JRC sold himself on this second goal. I just cant understand why Lenihan is on the halfway line about 15 yards from our own striker 

Lenihan ALWAYS does that. He wants to be in the thick of action and tends to over-commits himself to get the ball. But more often than not, he misses the ball, be out of position and leaves a gaping hole at the back.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, yellowsubmarine said:

Lenihan ALWAYS does that. He wants to be in the thick of action and tends to over-commits himself to get the ball. But more often than not, he misses the ball, be out of position and leaves a gaping hole at the back.

I have long had the view that Lenihan gets drawn to the ball and often out of position, sometimes even clattering a teammate in his desire. Normally faults like that are quite simple to eradicate through good coaching but as he's been doing it for so long I assume the coaches haven't picked it up or worse don't consider it a problem.

If I'd a £5 for every I've seen Lenihan come out of the back line to get involved and then fail to deal with the situation I'd be a good bit wealthier than I am now. Paul Jones is the same, he's never smartened up either and that's in spite of all the top coaches they've had at Old Trafford. You just can't tell some people, they have an inflated opinion of their abilities that's hard to remove. Being drawn to the ball is a falling in most positions but at centre half it's normally a serious issue.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Lenihan has not had the best start to the season but I think on Tuesday Williams was just as bad if not even worse than Lenihan.

The thing with Lenihan is that he is one of very few players whose importance to us since we got promoted is absolutely unquestionable. The points accumulated with him compared to without him is stark, I would suggest that in those 2 years, he was the only proper leader back there who could deal with the physical side of things, Rodwell, a past his best Mulgrew, Adarabioyo and Williams all struggled with that side of the game. I remember when Lenihan missed a few games culminating in Preston away last year and there was a void of leadership and desperation to keep the ball out and we just imploded. Maybe with Ayala here who is also a leader who wins the ball in the air, that Lenihan's availability and selection might not be quite as important, but I still think that those 2 are our best 2 centre backs and that calls in the LT to suggest that Williams could be first choice of the 3 are premature.

Williams has proven that he can be a capable short term stand in when played alongside Lenihan but over the course of time I am not sure he has the quality. 

Lenihan does undoubtedly need to improve his poor form and he never has been perfect, he does have that tendency to be rash and he isnt the best on the ball (none of our 3 centre backs are) but the manager also needs to look at reducing the exposure to the centre backs, especially against half decent sides. Is a side with 2 of 3 central midfielders and both full backs constantly playing really high sustainable in terms of keeping clean sheets? Possibly not.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Lenihan has not had the best start to the season but I think on Tuesday Williams was just as bad if not even worse than Lenihan.

Ahh yes because Williams was twice caught miles up the pitch either missing challenges or giving the ball away. Williams didn't manage to deal with either situation but at the end of the day his centre back partner had gone AWOL on both occasions and he was left either 2v1 or 1v1.  

Just now, unleaded said:

Blame the manager for keeping him in the lineup even when he’s crap .. which he is Terrible player and even worse as the captain .... Shambles 

For a bit of context, he missed 9 games last season in which we lost 6, drew 2 and won only 1, conceding 18 goals. 

Hes undoubtedly had a couple of poor games this season but he certainly isnt a "terrible player." He needs to accept some personal realsponsibility for his form as does the manager for playing a style of play which exposes the centre backs v better teams.

• Like 2

He’s been poor this season Lenihan and he isn’t going to get ten million pound moves to the premiership but he is a decent enough player and is getting pelters when I would suggest it’s more a dip in form, possibly down to being a new father but he has been solid enough to be given some slack imo as long as his performances improve 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If I'd a £5 for every I've seen Lenihan come out of the back line to get involved and then fail to deal with the situation I'd be a good bit wealthier than I am now. Paul Jones is the same, he's never smartened up either and that's in spite of all the top coaches they've had at Old Trafford. You just can't tell some people, they have an inflated opinion of their abilities that's hard to remove. Being drawn to the ball is a falling in most positions but at centre half it's normally a serious issue.

I dont remember a Paul Jones playing for Rovers.

• 10 months later...

A player who we are better off with for sure, but not one that has particularly improved and a constant in our run of 16 games without a clean sheet.

On the ball, utterly dreadful and very rash in general, but we are a worse team when he is absent.

Disgusting tackle yesterday, one that he is very lucky not to be banned for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Lenihan new contract been offered by Rovers reported by Nixon

Blackburn Rovers set to hand new deal to Darragh Lenihan - The 72

I would be very pleased with this news when he signs the new contract and its announce 

Presumably if he doesn’t hand it back into Waggott first thing tomorrow morning, signed and accompanied by a heartfelt thank you note, he should be immediately transfer listed and dropped?