BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

According to TM 'the recruitment plan is in overdrive' so I thought it deserved a topic of its own. We recruited extremely well during the summer I trust Mowbray will do the same come January but I think the key to it being considered a succes would be if we a re able to keep the big guns off dack and keep him motivated to be a Blackburn Rovers player. I reckon a centre back and a left back so bennet can be utilsed further up the field. 

Definitely need a centre back as we only have Mulgrew and Lenihan who are natural there, bar Downing who isnt good enough and should be moved on. Williams and Rodwell are naturals in other positions.

We also need a right back as Bennett is a weakness when he covers there, and we havent seen Reed there (apparently very good at Norwich at right back) but hes first choice in the middle.

Beyond that, would love a natural winger, suspect a striker will be more likely but Brereton should be used there.

Downing should be moved on, and Nuttall, Travis and potentially Davenport if fit again should be loaned out to League 1 clubs.

We only need 2 signings in January for me. 

Centre back and a winger. We dont need to be make signings just for the need of.

I would loan out Nuttall, Travis and Tomlinson out.  

Then the squad would be

GK's - Raya Luetwiler Fisher

DEF's.- Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell Downing Williams Rodwell new signing

MID's - Bennett Evans Reed Smallwood Davenport Palmer Dack Conway Rothwell new signing

ST's - Graham Armstrong Brereton

Thats give us 22 players to used

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

We also need a right back as Bennett is a weakness when he covers there, and we havent seen Reed there (apparently very good at Norwich at right back) but hes first choice in the middle.

Smallwood and Evans have appeared to be first choice in the middle up until now. Probably this Saturday with Nyambe now having game time we will see who Mowbray will select for central midfield. Would not be surprise to see Reed right midfield and Bennett left midfield with Evans and Smallwood central.

As cover Bennett is fine at right back but would not like to see him there first choice but we do need someone to push Nymabe for that automatic right back slot.

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Need a natural, pacey wideman, an Andy Todd type horrible big bugger at the back and a Graham back-up. Good luck, Tony!

In today an Andy Todd type player would never play, he'd be suspended all the bloody time. We need someone who can dish the pain a bit cleverer like a Kevin Moran type.

Everyone agrees that we need a backup to Graham and I would like to see a natural wideman or two but thats not Mowbray's style unless he could find players like Wilcox and Ripley who could defend as well as they attacked.

Still would like to see a player who had vision to pick a killer ball in the midfield area rather than play a safe percentage ball or run into blind alleys.

I'd like to sign easy e from qpr. Fits the current model. He's young, quick, can hold the ball up and drive on at players. He will also shoot from outside the box. He's got abit of everything. He's still very raw and nowhere near the finished article but he could prove to be a good addition at this level with potential to grow and have a sell on value to the club.  Then off to reading to bring mou Barrow back. Cheers tony

I saw a striker at Celtic called Eduardo who looks a real player. Only saw him in one game on some extended highlights so maybe the Scottish contingent on this board can confirm if he's decent or tell me I'm talking shite. Don't no how realistic he would be as a target , maybe I'm being to optimistic with that one but I'd still be interested to know what regular spl watchers thought of him

Edited by Oldgregg86

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We only need 2 signings in January for me. 

Centre back and a winger. We dont need to be make signings just for the need of.

We do if players are available. Sometimes you just have to get players before someone else does or their price rises. Remember Souness bringing in Friedel when most of us thought our keepers were OK? 

Edited by gumboots

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We dont need to be make signings just for the need of.

Eh?

Surely when we need to make signings surely thats when we should make signings.

If what you are saying is that we shouldn't make signings for the skae of making signings then I'd agree with you but if players are available that would improve your first eleven then we should try and make them. The key aim is to improve the team on the pitch and a perfect example is the one that Gumboots gave.

I agree that signing journeymen who will clog spaces on the bench or reserves is not the correct way to go.

A mainline CF is what we need. Someone to directly challenge DG in terms of that role. If they can get Brereton ticking then fair enough. They could then look at another wide attacker (TM doesn’t play with wingers). Otherwise go for a Gestede, Woods (It’ll never happen) type. Che Adams would be fantastic! 

At this current stage I can’t see us signing a CB. We have Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams and Rodwell (who TM sees as a CB) with Downing as cover. I think that upgrade would happen next season.

If you’re talking about evolution then what you do is see what’s available. If it’s affordable and far better than what you already have then sign them. To me, Dack is probably the only player we are incapable of replacing purely because we’d have to spend a fortune to do so.

37 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

A mainline CF is what we need. Someone to directly challenge DG in terms of that role

Agreed. He is missing too many chances this season. He put nearly every one away last year at Ewood.

The problem is DG is a very important cog in the way we play. A lot of long balls go to him and he brings others into the game. We would need to find someone who could do that PLUS score goals. We spent £7m on BB and he can't do either yet. It's not going to be easy. 

41 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

At this current stage I can’t see us signing a CB. We have Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams and Rodwell (who TM sees as a CB) with Downing as cover. I think that upgrade would happen next season.

Possibly, but if Bauer is any good and Mogga sees him as challenging for a first team spot he will bid for him in January. He'll be a few hundred grand like Bell i'd imagine. Bauer has already said he won't sign a new contract at Charlton so Mogga will have to move quick as there will be more clubs after him when he's free next summer you'd imagine. Probably depends also on whether he's recovered form the injury he got a month or so back. 

Downing is completely out of his depth at Championship level. He was even starting to look poor at League 1 level when Lenihan thankfully returned last season. He did a good job for us but I'd be surprised if he ever played for our first team again barring an injury crisis, which is another reason I think we'll sign Bauer or someone like him. 

All the above is possibly bollocks.

We need 3-4 for players.

A Right Back is needed, Bennett's performances when Nyambe was injured showed that he was not adequate backup.

We are short at centre back and signing one would also allow Rodwell to play further forward. Also Mowbray clearly doesn't see Downing as being up to it at this level.

A pacey winger in the Chapman mode. Although not Chapman (too many injuries). Hunter at Fleetwood, Lowe at Portsmouth or Anderson at Lincoln would fit the mould. I also wouldn't be surprised if Palmer went back to Chelsea.

And if Mowbray isn't going to use Brereton upfront then we need to bring someone it to challenge Graham.

• Like 1

@JacknOry MM is definitely coming. He will join AA and BB. Carlton Cole will also join. We may draw the line at Derek Dougan.

Eberechi Eze is another possibility from QPR. 

We've already been linked with Frank Fielding. Gavin Gunning can expect a call at some point....

Football Scrabble. Mogga will resign when he has finished the job. Genius. 

Edited by blueboy3333

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

@JacknOry MM is definitely coming. He will join AA and BB. Carlton Cole will also join. We may draw the line at Derek Dougan.

We've already been linked with Frank Fielding. Gavin Gunning can expect a call at some point....

Scott Sellars out of retirement, Dion Dublin too as he can cover the need for both CB and CF.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

ZZ for manager.

5 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Smallwood and Evans have appeared to be first choice in the middle up until now. Probably this Saturday with Nyambe now having game time we will see who Mowbray will select for central midfield. Would not be surprise to see Reed right midfield and Bennett left midfield with Evans and Smallwood central.

As cover Bennett is fine at right back but would not like to see him there first choice but we do need someone to push Nymabe for that automatic right back slot.

I really hope that isnt the midfield against Preston, thats incredibly negative. Armstrong surely has to play, and I like to see Palmer on the other side. Not sure Bennett can justify a starting place based on recent form, and Reed should play in his best position, driving the team from there alongside Evans.

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

A mainline CF is what we need. Someone to directly challenge DG in terms of that role. If they can get Brereton ticking then fair enough. They could then look at another wide attacker (TM doesn’t play with wingers). Otherwise go for a Gestede, Woods (It’ll never happen) type. Che Adams would be fantastic! 

If you’re talking about evolution then what you do is see what’s available. If it’s affordable and far better than what you already have then sign them. To me, Dack is probably the only player we are incapable of replacing purely because we’d have to spend a fortune to do so.

I dont get that mentality at all. We dont need a centre back, even though our 2 back ups are a left back and a central midfielder. Not only are they naturally going to be slightly less effective out of position, but they surely will be needed in their natural positions, especially Williams with Bell appearing to be not really up to it.

That should surely be above the priority list of a position where we have Armstrong, Palmer and Rothwell all fighting for a place.

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

We need 3-4 for players.

A Right Back is needed, Bennett's performances when Nyambe was injured showed that he was not adequate backup.

We are short at centre back and signing one would also allow Rodwell to play further forward. Also Mowbray clearly doesn't see Downing as being up to it at this level.

A pacey winger in the Chapman mode. Although not Chapman (too many injuries). Hunter at Fleetwood, Lowe at Portsmouth or Anderson at Lincoln would fit the mould. I also wouldn't be surprised if Palmer went back to Chelsea.

And if Mowbray isn't going to use Brereton upfront then we need to bring someone it to challenge Graham.

Totally agree on right back. Bennett hasnt been up to it no matter how you dress it up or say "he can play there."

Wouldnt send Palmer back at all, definitely has something to offer. And Brereton should be considered as a striker full stop really, we cant afford the luxury of a 7m striker signed and not even considered for his natural position. 

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I really hope that isnt the midfield against Preston, thats incredibly negative.

We are playing away to a form team. We have got good results away using that 'negative' formation and players. 

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Bennett hasnt been up to it no matter how you dress it up or say "he can play there."

He can play there and has acquitted himself well for the most part.  Your obsession with Bennett is affecting your judgement. He's been a lot better than the full back on the other side of our team and Bennett isn't even a full-back. He will now hopefully resume his position further up the field.

Reed was quite poor in the last home game against Rotherham in CM. They controlled the midfield when he was on the pitch. We missed Evans even though Smallwood had a very good game. There's nothing negative about playing the players who are getting the team results. 

Armstrong has played well but what has he actually delivered as an end product besides the cross that went in a few weeks ago? 

• Like 1