BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

7 hours ago, adz4d2 said:

Mowbray likes to play 4 2 3 1, in his mind thats his ideal formation, with the 4 up top acting as 4 strikers in effect, so goals never drout and the opposition doest know were the next goal is coming from, with that in mind we would ideally like 2 in every position.

GK: Raya, Leutwiler

LB: Nyambe, ?

CM: Reed, Smallwood, Evans, Bennett

RM Rothwell, Brereton

AM: Dack Palmer

LM: Armstrong, ?

ST: Graham, ?

Were a bit light at lb, lm and st, i dont think well manage to get all three in Jan but if we can atleast get a left back to act as competition for Nyambe so bennett can be used further upfield id be happy, if we get chapman as well thatd be a great window

Bit all over the place that

GK: Raya, Canadian

RB: Nyambe, Reed, Bennett

LB: Williams, Bell

CB: Mulgrew, Lenihan, Rodwell, Williams, Downing

CM: Evans, Smallwood, Reed, Rodwell, Bennett, Rothwell, Davenport

RM: Bennett, Reed, Palmer, Brereton

LM: Armstrong, Rothwell, Palmer

AM: Dack, Palmer, Rothwell

CF: Graham, Brereton 

Admittedly, a lot of that is players that 'can' play and cover a number of positions but this is seemingly how TM likes to do things. 

For me, we either need to sign a new LB so that Williams is free to act as primarily a CB or we just buy a new CB. Downing is not going to feature in my opinion as is not deemed good enough and our first choice pairing are both susceptible to injury. 

Up front DG rarely lasts a full game and TM does not see BB as the direct replacement as of yet and instead as one of the three in behind. I would loan or buy a CF that can provide cover for him now.

RB needs better cover than Reed and Bennett with both being needed in other positions.

Before any of that though, if we have ANY money at all - get Reed in permanently and sign Rodwell up on a longer deal.

Signing Reed on a permanent deal would be quite the signing, i doubt we will see it in January though as read an article earlier in the season and Reed still harbours ambitions of becoming a regular at Southampton.

Centre back and Striker should be priorities, dependent on the budget id like to see a back up Rb for Nyambe.

Would like an out an out winger, someone likr Chapman who can change a game

I think the squad overall is at a decent level with players being able to compete all over the pitch. Like a few have said they're are at least 2 per position in most cases.

Gk - Raya, Leutwiler

Rb - Nyambe

Cb - Lenihan, Mulgrew, Downing

Lb - Bell, Williams

Cdm - Smallwood, Evans, Rodwell, Reed

Rm - Bennet, Palmer

Cam - Dack

Lm - Armstrong, Rothwell

St - Graham, Brereton

Then you have the fringe players such as Travis who can be in and around the squad.

I think we need to strengthen Rb, Cb and St first as these are the weakest points.

For striker I don't know if any of the league 1 players will cut it but there's Kieffer Moore and John Marquis who are both in double figures already and play a target man role.

Cb will be someone like baur from Charlton who will be looked at for his physicality at the back.

Rb I'd have no idea but maybe a loan from the premiership if we haven't used all loan slots up. Someone like Dominic iorfa from wolves, Jonjoe Kenny from Everton or Ashley Richards from Cardiff. 

Granted I'm not sure how regularly the Cardiff lad plays for them but I'm sure the other two don't so as long as they arent injured could be good options.

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Signing Reed on a permanent deal would be quite the signing, i doubt we will see it in January though as read an article earlier in the season and Reed still harbours ambitions of becoming a regular at Southampton.

Centre back and Striker should be priorities, dependent on the budget id like to see a back up Rb for Nyambe.

Would like an out an out winger, someone likr Chapman who can change a game

Can only see that happening if they get relegated though. He is 24 now and should be tired of being shunted around season after season.

I know it is a bit of a pipedream transfer as if he were available I can see others being interested in him too. If was me though I would be doing everything possible to get him int he door permanently. 

Far from a key player, but saw this in the LT and it seems strange...

Meanwhile, Rovers youngster Lewis Thompson has been recalled from his loan spell with FC United of Manchester.

The teenager has spent the last three months with the National League North side, playing 14 times in all.

But injury to Jack Doyle during a loan spell with Maidstone United has seen Thompson recalled by Rovers.

Why would an injury to a different player, on loan at a different club, cause us to recall him? Has Doyle's injury just made us decide we are terrified of people getting injured if they play below the EFL? Odd.

4 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Think today is sure evidence that the priority has to be a big striker who can step into the team when Graham isn't available. Brereton isn't that man. A big lump from League One would do, even if just to let the rest of the team play to their best.

Yep. Should have been done in the summer. Ludicrously wasn’t - yet we could find £7m for a ‘winger’ in Mowbrays eyes. If a CF isn’t top of the wish list then we need a new gaffer.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

• Moderation Lead

I really don’t get the Palmer hate (not just from you Chaddy), he’s one of the only attacking players that can make something happen. He’s even scored some goals for us this season and his name isn’t Dack, Graham or Mulgrew!

• Like 1

• Backroom

I don't think Palmer is especially good but he's useful enough to keep around. My concern is that he's getting minutes over the likes of Rothwell who is one of our own players. Unless Palmer starts producing incredible performances (no sign of that yet) I'd rather he was used as an impact sub with our own lads getting time on the pitch. If Rothwell isn't good enough to push for a regular starting place then why is he here?

If Mowbray doesn't see Brereton as a striker (and all indications are that he's inexplicably brought the lad in as a winger or a "wide forward") then top priority should be decent back up to Graham. Our over-reliance on Graham is killing our ability to score from open play so whether we need a like for like backup or something different I'm not sure. I suppose you'd have to say like for like as we already have something different in Brereton and Armstrong, Mowbray just has no interest in using them in their natural positions.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Sending Palmer back would be daft, even if he’s only on the bench I don’t see better players waiting in the wings. Rothwell looks more dynamic but so far has produced less.

You have to wonder if Brereton isn’t the player we thought we had signed, the hype video and half time introduction hinted at our new main man yet he won’t even play him when our only other striker isn’t deemed fit.

What happened to that Moore lad that was at Rotherham once? He was a big lump in the Kuqi mould but looked handy.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Sending Palmer back would be daft, even if he’s only on the bench I don’t see better players waiting in the wings. Rothwell looks more dynamic but so far has produced less.

You have to wonder if Brereton isn’t the player we thought we had signed, the hype video and half time introduction hinted at our new main man yet he won’t even play him when our only other striker isn’t deemed fit.

What happened to that Moore lad that was at Rotherham once? He was a big lump in the Kuqi mould but looked handy.

I would send Palmer back and bring in a winger. 

I dont understand why he doesnt play Brereton up front if Graham isnt on the pitch. 

Moore is at Barnsley now. Main man there

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Our number one focus has to be bringing in a CF, Chaddy. No debating it. Wingers and CB’s can come after.

I disagree on that being the number 1 focus. But I think we need another striker if Graham isn't going to be match fit enough and not going start enough games

I would play Brereton up front if Graham isn't fit

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I disagree on that being the number 1 focus. But I think we need another striker if Graham isn't going to be match fit enough and not going start enough games

But TM will not play Brereton up front and doesn’t think he’ll be ready there for a couple of years (sure he said words to this effect about him and Arma). So a striker has to be the number one priority as Graham cannot even seemingly play a full match every fortnight anymore.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

• Backroom
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Yeah, but it's clear Mowbray won't. He's had two chances against Rotherham and Preston to play Brereton up front and he's instead chosen to play midfielders there. So if Mowbray won't play Brereton up front we need a reinforcement there ASAP.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

I'm seeing an increasing number of murmurings about paying £7m for Brereton. I pointed out in summer that paying for him in hindsight was not the best of ideas, but it got laughed off. I'm hurt.

Having a fancy border round your posts is like wearing pink boots. If you're Elliot Ward it looks a bit silly;)

31 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

But TM will not play Brereton up front and doesn’t think he’ll be ready there for a couple of years (sure he said words to this effect about him and Arma). So a striker has to be the number one priority as Graham cannot even seemingly play a full match every fortnight anymore.

well if Mowbray has said this then I strongly disagree. Brereton is ready to play for me. 

I agree we need another striker if he wont play Brereton there. 

any names? 

• Backroom

I still think Mowbray has quite a lot to prove as far as our transfer dealings are concerned. Outside of Dack, who was obviously an exceptional purchase, have many of his other buys significantly improved us? I'd argue most of our better players were already here when he arrived. Graham, Bennett, Mulgrew, Evans, Lenihan, Raya, Nyambe... I'm not saying he hasn't done a good job coaching them as we've obviously been getting good results overall, but has anybody been brought in by Mowbray who is at a similar level? I'm still not convinced Smallwood is Championship calibre. Reed is decent. Most of the others are yet to impress as far as I can recall. 

• Like 2

They allegedly got Dack in for 750k and they could get ten times plus that if they sold him tomorrow then they throw 7 mill at a young guy who they are reluctant to put on as a sub in his proper position let alone start him and who may or may not end up justifying his price tag.

One wonders just why they didn't continue down the Dack type route with some recruitment !

Don't think his signings overall have been bad it's a right lottery at this level but even Coyle got in Mulgrew, loaned in Gallagher and Emnes who were handy. Bowyer proved quite proficient despite his lack of experience when he had a few hundred grand to chuck about here and there so jury still out on TM but early verdict from me is = average.

• Like 1

Watching Adomah for Villa now. We could do with someone in that mould on the wing with a bit of pace to get down the wing and then put some good quality crosses into the box for Graham and Dack. Bennett had so much space at times in the first half yesterday and did nothing with it.

Edited by Ewood Ace