BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

On 30/11/2018 at 11:09, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was reading an article at the weekend about the wages the top clubs are paying their players. The wages the Yanks are paying are right up there with the best so he'll have been on big bucks.

Listening to Talksport it reported that Cole was 8 grand a week and Slatan was on 15 grand. Cole has an option for another year at 8 grand but LA Galaxy are not taking it but are willing to pay 5. If that is what they are talking then maybe not as daft until the end of the season.

4 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Listening to Talksport it reported that Cole was 8 grand a week and Slatan was on 15 grand. Cole has an option for another year at 8 grand but LA Galaxy are not taking it but are willing to pay 5. If that is what they are talking then maybe not as daft until the end of the season.

According to this (not sure how accurate it is but looking at the PL wages , could be near the mark) Cole is on a guaranteed US$722,500 salary (roughly 556k GBP) so 10.5 grand a week

https://www.spotrac.com/mls/los-angeles-galaxy/

Zlatan guaranteed US$1.5 million

Edited by perthblue02

Huth is a good shout.

For those dismissing him because he is 34 years old will do well to remember Kevin Moran who joined us at the age of 34 and played at Rovers until he was 38 including two seasons for us in the PL!  Similarly, Tony Gale joined Rovers at the age of 35 and made well over a dozen appearances for us in our PL winning side!

Particularly at centre back, age is no barrier.

What we would give now that a centre back of that ilk.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Even if we bring Chapman back to Ewood on a permanent basis in January, it doesn't sound like he would be playing much of a part this season. Mogga sees Chapman as one for the future.

We need to forget about Chapman. Unfortunately he's one of those players who's career will be blighted by injury issues,

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Huth is a good shout.

For those dismissing him because he is 34 years old will do well to remember Kevin Moran who joined us at the age of 34 and played at Rovers until he was 38 including two seasons for us in the PL!  Similarly, Tony Gale joined Rovers at the age of 35 and made well over a dozen appearances for us in our PL winning side!

Particularly at centre back, age is no barrier.

What we would give now that a centre back of that ilk.

Huth hasnt played for 6 months. Has he even been training? Would take far too long to get us to speed. 

Football has move from when Gale and Moran was footballers. Look at when Brown and Greer joined us. Both shocking signings

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Huth hasnt played for 6 months. Has he even been training? Would take far too long to get us to speed. 

Football has move from when Gale and Moran was footballers. Look at when Brown and Greer joined us. Both shocking signings

You don't half talk some rubbish.

Ryan Giggs was playing at the highest level when he was 39 / 40 just 4 years ago.

Look at the number of players currently playing in La Liga all 35+ 

Brown and Greer were poor signings as were Hart, Gladwin (far younger players) etc.  Age is irrelevant, young or old, - it's ability that counts.

Edited by Mercer

Huth would have been good a while ago just the right type we have been missing ages but not now no way we've moved away from busted flushes on big contracts hopefully. Just not worth the risk like Wes Brown wasn't.

Spend a few quid and get a good hard centre half with something left in his legs who'll serve us fir a few years, preferably not one who puts country before club if he's any kind of international involvement anywhere and over 30.

Build from the back

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Ryan Giggs was playing at the highest level when he was 39 / 40 just 4 years ago.

Brown and Greer were poor signings as were Hart, Gladwin (far younger players) etc.  Age is irrelevant, young or old, - it's ability that counts.

While I agree with your post in many ways, if Huth had anything left, why does he not have a club? Clubs would have picked him up in the summer on a free. Ashley Cole I can understand the clamor but not Huth.

Edited by JacknOry

55 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Who needs Robert Huth when we've got Paul Downing? ?

I like Downing he's never really let us down since he arrived aside from the odd stinker they all have but i'm not sure he's good enough to command a regular place.

Good back up man though but some are just destined to be that, does he put pressure on Mulgrew/lenihen for a starting place should one of them founder ?  Doubt it so there's no real competition for places there, there's back up options but that's it.

32 minutes ago, Mercer said:

why? cant I don't agree with you? 

That's Giggs at a top PL club not Championship level. La Liga is less physical and tempo less than the Championship level. So zero comparison to this level of football. 

No one mention Hart or Gladwin but yet again you cant resist a dig at Mowbray at every little opportunity. 

Brown and Greer were roughly the same age as Huth 2 years ago and both failed miserably. 

if Huth still had it why hasn't he got a club already? has he retire? Plus he hasn't played a competitive game in 18 months since the 2016/17 season. why would you really sign a player who is 34 year old and kick a ball in 18 months in competitive game of football? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

why? cant I don't agree with you? 

That's Giggs at a top PL club not Championship level. La Liga is less physical and tempo less than the Championship level. So zero comparison to this level of football. 

No one mention Hart or Gladwin but yet again you cant resist a dig at Mowbray at every little opportunity. 

Brown and Greer were roughly the same age as Huth 2 years ago and both failed miserably. 

if Huth still had it why hasn't he got a club already? has he retire? Plus he hasn't played a competitive game in 18 months since the 2016/17 season. why would you really sign a player who is 34 year old and kick a ball in 18 months in competitive game of football? 

Oi, Brown is a legend!

• Backroom

I agree with Chaddy on this one. If Huth is such a hidden gem surely somebody else would have picked him up by now? He's obviously still on a free transfer for a reason and I don't see why we would be desperate enough to be hunting around the free transfer bin for backup players. I've had enough of bringing in over the hill players for one last payday. I'm absolutely sure Downing is and will continue to be a more suitable back up CB for us than Huth would be. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DE. said:

I agree with Chaddy on this one. If Huth is such a hidden gem surely somebody else would have picked him up by now? He's obviously still on a free transfer for a reason and I don't see why we would be desperate enough to be hunting around the free transfer bin for backup players. I've had enough of bringing in over the hill players for one last payday. I'm absolutely sure Downing is and will continue to be a more suitable back up CB for us than Huth would be. 

Yep. 

Brown, Greer, Murphy and Etuhu all came here and never played again at this level after being here. 

31 minutes ago, DE. said:

Wait wait wait - i mentioned long before Chaddy did that he would have been snapped up by now. Dont give credence to this guy that just copies other peoples opinions...sometimes its almost word for word

for me i would like a move for sheff Wednesdays  nhihu what ever you spell it,  the big physical dude,  they aint doing so well this year and we could try snap him up, could be a great battering ram that might not score so many goals but would help with the outlet up top.

i would like a new left back too,  wonder if we could snatch ollson back from derby? i dont know if he starts there or not, or obita? i remember him being  decent left back at this level

people saying ashley cole lol slim chance who knows.  bannan again from wednesday ive seen people suggest we grab him,  only if dack leaves as he plays similar to him and we have rothwell too,  i would love a winger like chapman but unsure on him as the injury record.

im looking forward to seeing what january brings

Edited by AdamRochina

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

why would you really sign a player who is 34 year old and kick a ball in 18 months in competitive game of football? 

Because at 32 he was deemed good enough to be at the heart of a defense that won the premier league. 

Because experience in that position is vital

Because to have a premier league winner in to help young lads like lenihan develop

Because Graham and mulgrew have just been handed new deals at similar ages and are two of our most important players. So Graham as a striker of 33 is ok to get a new deal but at 34 a cb is to old ?

I get he hasn't played much, why he doesn't have a club I don't know. Maybe there is a good reason I'm unaware of. If it's just because he's 34 then that isn't a reason not to sign him. Rodwell hadn't played for ages and he's doing ok. We have a top of the range training facility to get him up to speed if it's just match fitness he lacks.

He wouldn't be signed for the first 11 anyway but would cover us until the summer

Edited by Oldgregg86

9 hours ago, AdamRochina said:

for me i would like a move for sheff Wednesdays  nhihu what ever you spell it,  the big physical dude,  they aint doing so well this year and we could try snap him up, could be a great battering ram that might not score so many goals but would help with the outlet up top.

i would like a new left back too,  wonder if we could snatch ollson back from derby? i dont know if he starts there or not, or obita? i remember him being  decent left back at this level

people saying ashley cole lol slim chance who knows.  bannan again from wednesday ive seen people suggest we grab him,  only if dack leaves as he plays similar to him and we have rothwell too,  i would love a winger like chapman but unsure on him as the injury record.

im looking forward to seeing what january brings

Got 12 goals last season I think which is not bad for a battering ram.

Ollson is returning from injury and their other LB is injured too, he is needed there.

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Because at 32 he was deemed good enough to be at the heart of a defense that won the premier league. 

Because experience in that position is vital

Because to have a premier league winner in to help young lads like lenihan develop

Because Graham and mulgrew have just been handed new deals at similar ages and are two of our most important players. So Graham as a striker of 33 is ok to get a new deal but at 34 a cb is to old ?

I get he hasn't played much, why he doesn't have a club I don't know. Maybe there is a good reason I'm unaware of. If it's just because he's 34 then that isn't a reason not to sign him. Rodwell hadn't played for ages and he's doing ok. We have a top of the range training facility to get him up to speed if it's just match fitness he lacks.

He wouldn't be signed for the first 11 anyway but would cover us until the summer

He hasnt played much? He hasnt played any game in 18 months. 

Lenihan isnt young anymore. Hes 24 years old. Played over 120 games..

I would for Liam Lindsay from Barnsley who is playing regular and was in the Championship last season