BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

14 hours ago, Mercer said:

You don't half talk some rubbish.

Ryan Giggs was playing at the highest level when he was 39 / 40 just 4 years ago.

Look at the number of players currently playing in La Liga all 35+ 

Brown and Greer were poor signings as were Hart, Gladwin (far younger players) etc.  Age is irrelevant, young or old, - it's ability that counts.

Perhaps a good way of understanding how Giggs was able to play to that age is by considering that he was one of the best players of his generation, if not all time. Robert Huth is not. And given that he has not kicked a ball competitively for over a year now it would be foolish to think that he can make a meaningful contribution at this level. Stop being silly. Sometimes I think all those bottles of red have gone to your head. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

why? cant I don't agree with you? 

That's Giggs at a top PL club not Championship level. 

Wait, are you suggesting that it's easier to be a winger in the Premiership (and Champions League) than the Championship??

• Like 1

I’m not usually one for the ambitious targets, but I could see Leighton Baines going out on loan in January given Digne has taken over as Everton’s first choice LB. Could be worth throwing our hat in the ring - would imagine there would be a fair few clubs in for him mind and Everton would need to pay the majority of his no doubt big wage. 33 but even if he just played with his right foot would still be a huge upgrade on Del & Rodney!

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

10 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Chapman sounds like it's definitely on the cards because I'm convinced that Mowbray wouldn't be discussing him in the way that he has if we weren't going to get him. 

Has TM been talking about him recently? I've not seen anything. Or do you just mean the comments from the summer? Things could have changed since then, especially with the continued injuries. I wanted us all over Chapman in the summer but I'm growing unsure. If there are recent comments, where can I find them?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I’m not usually one for the ambitious targets, but I could see Leighton Baines going out on loan in January given Digne has taken over as Everton’s first choice LB. Could be worth throwing our hat in the ring - would imagine there would be a fair few clubs in for him mind and Everton would need to pay the majority of his no doubt big wage. 33 but even if he just played with his right foot would still be a huge upgrade on Del & Rodney!

Wages man, think of the wages! 

• Backroom
1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

I think other clubs might be able to offer him something more lucrative than we'd be prepared to.

Tbf I imagine if anybody else was serious about him they probably would have signed him by now! Don't think we'd have much if any competition. 

13 hours ago, AdamRochina said:

for me i would like a move for sheff Wednesdays  nhihu what ever you spell it,  the big physical dude,  they aint doing so well this year and we could try snap him up, could be a great battering ram that might not score so many goals but would help with the outlet up top.

i would like a new left back too,  wonder if we could snatch ollson back from derby? i dont know if he starts there or not, or obita? i remember him being  decent left back at this level

people saying ashley cole lol slim chance who knows.  bannan again from wednesday ive seen people suggest we grab him,  only if dack leaves as he plays similar to him and we have rothwell too,  i would love a winger like chapman but unsure on him as the injury record.

im looking forward to seeing what january brings

I watch a lot of Wednesday, and I believe the word for Nuhiu is "gash". Foresteri still one of the best players in the league though imo, wide striker.

Edited by S8 & Blue

7 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

You can’t have read my post then pal where I said about them contributing the majority towards them. As I said, ambitious name but one nonetheless.

I don't think they will need to subsidize a player like Baines wages. No shortage of clubs willing to pay the full amount. 

• Backroom

Another couple of ideas, might be able to attract some NEARLY out of contract options at cb:

Derdyk Boyata, 28, Celtic.

Timm Klose, 30, Norwich.

Unrealistic imo but:

Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Vincent Kompany, Gary Cahill, Martin Caceres, Diego Godin, and several other notables are out of contract next summer...

33 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Another couple of ideas, might be able to attract some NEARLY out of contract options at cb:

Timm Klose, 30, Norwich.

Unrealistic imo but:

Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Vincent Kompany, Gary Cahill, Martin Caceres, Diego Godin, and several other notables are out of contract next summer...

You think? 

If we don't even try to sign the captain of the best team in the world atm then that just sums up Mowbray's lack of ambition.

9 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

You think? 

If we don't even try to sign the captain of the best team in the world atm then that just sums up Mowbray's lack of ambition.

Yes we could have him and one of Europe's most feared champions league defenders as a centre half partnership if Tony pulled his finger out

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Wait, are you suggesting that it's easier to be a winger in the Premiership (and Champions League) than the Championship??

no but Giggs was very good player who fitness and commitment could never be question. 

5 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

really? Baines no chance. 

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Timm Klose, 30, Norwich.

Unrealistic imo but:

what an ambition list of possible target.

8 hours ago, The Hypnotic said:

Perhaps a good way of understanding how Giggs was able to play to that age is by considering that he was one of the best players of his generation, if not all time. Robert Huth is not. And given that he has not kicked a ball competitively for over a year now it would be foolish to think that he can make a meaningful contribution at this level. Stop being silly. Sometimes I think all those bottles of red have gone to your head. 

Look, Chaddy seems to think we shouldn't sign 'older' players.

I am making the point that age is no barrier.  I mentioned Moran and Gale but hey, ho that's from another era according to Chaddy.  Therefore pointed out Giggs and the number of 'golden oldies' (35+) presently in La Liga.

Ability is all relative - you will find 'golden oldies' at all levels of football from La Liga, PL right down through the Championship to Division 2.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

no but Giggs was very good player who fitness and commitment could never be question. 

really? Baines no chance.  Why if Everton stump up big part of his wages?

what an ambition list of possible target.

Fwiw I don't think Huth on a  term deal as cover would be a bad idea , but if we do have a few quid to spend and are looking at something more long term Jake Cooper of Millwall is definatley worth looking at , English , early 20's and a beast in the air 

5 hours ago, Mike E said:

Timm Klose, 30, Norwich.

Unrealistic imo but:

Gary Cahill

Good shout Mike.

Far from unrealistic imo

Ronaldinho was unrealistic.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Why if Everton stump up big part of his wages?

Far too unrealistic it and I do not think that fit into Mowbray and club plans for signings. If you look at our Summer signings we paid cash for 4 players and the older one was 23 years old in Rothwell, with Armsttrong at 21, Brereton at 19 and Davenport at 19 years old. Rodwell was our older signing at 27 but he was Free transfer. The other 2 were loan signings at age 21 and 23. 

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Look, Chaddy seems to think we shouldn't sign 'older' players.

I am making the point that age is no barrier.  I mentioned Moran and Gale but hey, ho that's from another era according to Chaddy.  Therefore pointed out Giggs and the number of 'golden oldies' (35+) presently in La Liga.

Ability is all relative - you will find 'golden oldies' at all levels of football from La Liga, PL right down through the Championship to Division 2.

no I do. I think we need to look at club strategy for signings and as I highlighted above. 

as I show you with Huth suggestion, hasn't played football in 18 months. 

Moran and Gale is from over 20 years ago and football has move on from there. 

La Liga is a slower tempo league and not has physical as the Championship

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Far too unrealistic it and I do not think that fit into Mowbray and club plans for signings. If you look at our Summer signings we paid cash for 4 players and the older one was 23 years old in Rothwell, with Armsttrong at 21, Brereton at 19 and Davenport at 19 years old. Rodwell was our older signing at 27 but he was Free transfer. The other 2 were loan signings at age 21 and 23. 

no I do. I think we need to look at club strategy for signings and as I highlighted above. 

as I show you with Huth suggestion, hasn't played football in 18 months. 

Moran and Gale is from over 20 years ago and football has move on from there. 

La Liga is a slower tempo league and not has physical as the Championship

So the likes of Messi and Griezmann wouldn't be able to handle it then !!!!