BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

2 hours ago, Beanie01289 said:

I think what vinjay is hunting at is under the ffp rules as they stand Jack would have not been allowed to invest in Rovers the way he did. Its a tough issue but I'm not a fan of the system myself 

Under FFP an owner like Jack would be curtailed in his ambitious but owners like the Oystons are fine. 

It's more than a hint. I guess people will say "well what do you expect oil money?" and assumes anything short of a dream takeover would have it's limits FUP or not.

Maybe so but it's not just about that. It's about the principle and I'm not going to have what Jack did labelled as cheating. It's a slur on his memory.

Edited by Vinjay17

7 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

It's more than a hint. I guess people will say "well what do you expect oil money?" and assumes anything short of a dream takeover would have it's limits FUP or not.

Maybe so but it's not just about that. It's about the principle and I'm not going to have what Jack did labelled as cheating. It's a slur on his memory.

Jack wasnt cheating as there were no rules in place - its like saying that all winners of modern football matches have cheated as we now have seven substitutes on the bench instead of the three previously. 

I do not agree with FFP but i can understand why FFP was put in place after many foreign owners came in and ruined clubs after treating them as a plaything. It has been a running joke though as the EFL simply does not have the power and/or the balls to enforce their rules. The less said about the fit and proper testing that goes on (as we know all too well).

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Jack wasnt cheating as there were no rules in place - its like saying that all winners of modern football matches have cheated as we now have seven substitutes on the bench instead of the three previously. 

I do not agree with FFP but i can understand why FFP was put in place after many foreign owners came in and ruined clubs after treating them as a plaything. It has been a running joke though as the EFL simply does not have the power and/or the balls to enforce their rules. The less said about the fit and proper testing that goes on (as we know all too well).

There was an article in the Guardian a few years ago, highly critical of FUP.

Paraphrasing, it said that one indicator of its awfulness was that it would have prevented Jack Walker, but allowed the Venky's!!

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've watched him on Spanish TV when he was playing for Granada, he's come on a bit since his Rovers days.

I'd imagine effective coaching, a coherent system, and a settled club behind the scenes helped enormously.

He never had the chance to show his best at Rovers. Hardly anyone flourished in that era.

• Like 2

Reed - " keep him under the radar", and constantly big him up in the LT etc. Let me work that one out. Anyway Soton will be well aware of Reed's performances each week. All Clubs have access to video of all games.

Palmer - have we not paid something? Maybe an appearance based fee. Brinkmanship at play.

It sounds like Mowbray isn't too bothered about Palmer going back, a fact borne out of the number of starts he has given him. He is more of a squad player so he would need to be replaced to keep the number of squad players up. In fairness I think the majority of fans would agree with that.

Reed on the other hand would be a huge loss.

• Backroom

There isn't much difference between the Championship and the bottom 13 teams in the PL these days, so if Reed is doing well here he could definitely do a job for Southampton. Hope he stays until at least the end of the season though, he's been a breath of fresh air since arriving.

Don't think we'd miss Palmer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Palmer and Reed could be recalled in January

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17282054.tony-mowbrays-hopes-over-rovers-premier-league-duo/?ref=mac

I think Palmer will be. Cant see Reed being so cant of the number of midfielders already have and their new manager saying they have a big squad already

As said, I could see Reed leaving us and going on loan to someone like Leeds (interchangeable with anyone in the top 6). Similar to how Jack Payne left Oxford to come to us on loan last season.

If that does happen, and lets face it Mowbray is never going to break up the Smallwood/Evans combo, I'd like to see Rothwell given a chance to make that right hand side is own.

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Palmer is given a bit of a hard time, he is given occasional starts, never in his favoured number 10 position, and I dont think has done as badly as people make out.

He undoubtedly has the calibre, his spell at Huddersfield shows that.

did he really think he was ever going to start there? 

He has the talent but I feel he hasn't performed as much as I expected. I think his best game was the Brentford game looking back

6 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

As said, I could see Reed leaving us and going on loan to someone like Leeds (interchangeable with anyone in the top 6). Similar to how Jack Payne left Oxford to come to us on loan last season.

If that does happen, and lets face it Mowbray is never going to break up the Smallwood/Evans combo, I'd like to see Rothwell given a chance to make that right hand side is own.

I cant see Reed leaving here. 

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

did he really think he was ever going to start there? 

He has the talent but I feel he hasn't performed as much as I expected. I think his best game was the Brentford game looking back

I cant see Reed leaving here. 

Whether he thought that or not is irrelevant, im just pointing out his obvious calibre, and he hasnt really featured much since early in the season. He scored v Brentford, his individual run was the difference v Bolton, and I thought he did pretty well v West Brom and Rotherham.

He often plays on the right wing, even on the left wing I feel he would be more dangerous coming inside and linking with Dack and Graham. Him up front is stupidity and hopefully wont be repeated.

I do feel he has been slightly underwhelming, but he would need replacing and I would like to see him play a bit more before January.

I also dont think that Armstrong or Rothwell have been any better, but especially the latter, they similarly are in and out of the team and out of position.

If he does go back, I would like a more natural wide man to come in, and not Chapman as he is too injury prone.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Whether he thought that or not is irrelevant, im just pointing out his obvious calibre, and he hasnt really featured much since early in the season. He scored v Brentford, his individual run was the difference v Bolton, and I thought he did pretty well v West Brom and Rotherham.

He often plays on the right wing, even on the left wing I feel he would be more dangerous coming inside and linking with Dack and Graham. Him up front is stupidity and hopefully wont be repeated.

I do feel he has been slightly underwhelming, but he would need replacing and I would like to see him play a bit more before January.

I also dont think that Armstrong or Rothwell have been any better, but especially the latter, they similarly are in and out of the team and out of position.

If he does go back, I would like a more natural wide man to come in, and not Chapman as he is too injury prone.

no its not irrelevant at all. Dack was always going to play that role. 

He had some good parts of games but he isn't a player I really taken too tbh. 

would he really need replacing tbh? not over sure tbh as it would depend on a number of factors like where is Mowbray going to Armstrong, Reed and Rothwell mainly? if wide then I don't see the need for a squad player. Plus it depend if there is any money available and how many signings we looking at. 

Would I see Chapman? all depends on the fitness of him

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Jack Byrne, formerly of this parish, has signed for Shamrock Rovers. That is a metioric fall from being highly thought of at city. 

Moral of the story, signing for Coyle is very bad!! 

He ran the show against us at Oldham last season. He looked a player that day. Maybe he can only raise his game when he has a point to prove.

Palmer wont be a miss.  

Hassenhuttl has a reputation for developing players.  Will be very surprised if he doesn't take Reed back as he'll want to take a good look at him.  Will be a shame if he does - this lad should be our number one central midfielder.

Would steer clear of Chapman - think he's one of those players who are injury prone.  Anyhow, hasn't Mowbray already said he wouldn't start him?

We don't want any more 'potential' players.  We want signings who can go straight into the first team and improve both our results and performances.

Could we ask Forest for our money back on Brereton or failing that, if he's so good, can we flog him for what we paid for him.  Pointless keeping him to warm the bench.

22 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He ran the show against us at Oldham last season. He looked a player that day. Maybe he can only raise his game when he has a point to prove.

It's an interesting one. On paper it's a good signing for Shamrock Rovers. I didnt see the game you mention. What did you think of him when he was here? He looked light to me. Easy to shove off the ball. Compared to Dack, it's chalk and cheese. I suppose he stepped from under age at city to the Dutch league, neither as physical as the championship. For someone like Dack cutting their cloth in the lower leagues, as a smaller guy, you need to be tough in your position. If your bullied off the ball, you just won't last 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom

I would have liked to have kept Palmer but the writing seems on the wall there, he’s a good player but never going to take Dacks role and he doesn’t seem the type to be too happy playing here and there. 

Reed leaving would be awful 

11 hours ago, arbitro said:

It sounds like Mowbray isn't too bothered about Palmer going back, a fact borne out of the number of starts he has given him. He is more of a squad player so he would need to be replaced to keep the number of squad players up. In fairness I think the majority of fans would agree with that.

Reed on the other hand would be a huge loss.

Reed is the sort of player we should be paying a few million for.