BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

If both Reed and Palmer left. Could the team not line up like the following?

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Smallwood/Rodwell

Evans Rothwell/Bennet

Dack

Graham Brereton

In a 41212 formation. It's narrow but with three battling midfielders it lets Dack play a free role. Can also change into 352 if Rodwell plays.

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's an interesting one. On paper it's a good signing for Shamrock Rovers. I didnt see the game you mention. What did you think of him when he was here? He looked light to me. Easy to shove off the ball. Compared to Dack, it's chalk and cheese. I suppose he stepped from under age at city to the Dutch league, neither as physical as the championship. For someone like Dack cutting their cloth in the lower leagues, as a smaller guy, you need to be tough in your position. If your bullied off the ball, you just won't last 

I didn't see a lot of him at Rovers. In the game at Oldham he was playing against a poor Rovers side in the same area of the pitch as Whittingham was occupying. He didn't get pushed of the ball much that day but like I said he had a point to prove.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I didn't see a lot of him at Rovers. In the game at Oldham he was playing against a poor Rovers side in the same area of the pitch as Whittingham was occupying. He didn't get pushed of the ball much that day but like I said he had a point to prove.

Reading about, Byrne said he was loaned by Rovers to play the number 10 role but when he got here, Coyle played a 4-4-2 which he says didn't suit his game. Oldham fans are upset at his contract being terminated though, he did quite well last season and was their standout player despite them going down. 

The kid did have promise after his loan in Holland but since then it has all gone a bit tits up - think there is definitely a player in there though but perhaps as BDS said, he is a little too soft for the rough and tumble.

On 27/11/2018 at 08:40, Mercer said:

Chaddy, face up to it, we all drop clangers from time to time whether it's in our personal lives or our working lives.

You should not be trying to defend Mowbray.

Mowbray should have the balls to tell the fans just what the feck is going on with Brereton.  Did he personally scout him, was it his decision to sign him, why commit to a £7million deal when we've gaping holes in our squad, why not play him.  I think Mowbray's stance on this one is unfathomable.  IMV, there is something not right here.

I don't know your circumstances but if you went out and blew £20,000 on a car and there was no food in your house nor clothes on your kids' backs, your wife or partner would be fully entitled to play merry hell with you.

More so if you only drove it to the corner shop and only then ehen it was fine.  Brereton is indeed a strange one, for us in our current state anyway.

Let Palmer go back and allow Rothwell to start more regularly as one of the three attacking midfielders. I think Rothwell has been fantastic every single time I’ve seen him play.

Pay whatever it takes to get Reed. Would be a huge loss if he went back.

Go and get Chapman - cheap as chips for impact off the bench and development.

Chill out with Brereton. Listening to a few he’s VERY highly rated. But he’s 19 and we’re not even half way through the season. Talk of ‘getting our money back’ etc is just madness. Trust the manager.

Loan / buy a top striker possibly out of the Prem with a goal record in the championship. (Wickham, Gallagher, Ings, Madine or even a Maupay or Che Adams)  to directly compete with Graham.

GK - Raya, Leutwiler 

RB - Nyambe, Benno

cB - Lenihan, Mulgrew, Rodwell, Downing, Williams

LB - Bell, Williams 

DM - Smallwood, Evans, Reed, Davenport, Travis (Rodwell / Benno)

AM - Dack, Arma, BB, Rothwell, Chapman. (Reed / Benno)

CF - Graham, New striker, (BB / Arma)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Loan / buy a top striker possibly out of the Prem with a goal record in the championship. (Wickham, Gallagher, Ings, Madine or even a Maupay or Che Adams)  to directly compete with Graham.

Wickham seems a realistic shout, you’d like to think we’d be in for him if he were available. Ings is probably the most ambitious name I’ve seen on here - he’s the Saints tailisman (and record signing?!) and I doubt we could afford one of Maupay or Adam’s feet let alone both. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

10 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Reading about, Byrne said he was loaned by Rovers to play the number 10 role but when he got here, Coyle played a 4-4-2 which he says didn't suit his game. Oldham fans are upset at his contract being terminated though, he did quite well last season and was their standout player despite them going down. 

The kid did have promise after his loan in Holland but since then it has all gone a bit tits up - think there is definitely a player in there though but perhaps as BDS said, he is a little too soft for the rough and tumble.

A friend of mine is a big Ireland fan and he really talked him up when he joined us on loan. Honestly hardly remember him when he did play for us, but remember being underwhelmed in general... I do recall that game where he looked great against us with Oldham, but Tyrone Shoelaces may have a point that it was partly due to him facing up against Willingham...

Just read that article where he's deflecting blame on to everyone else for his fall... he probably has a point having joined Coyle's circus and it sounds like Oldham was generally a mess last year, but failing to break into two poor Championship squads in us and Wigan, there apparently was an 'off the field' incident at Oldham, and then he could hardly get in an appearance with Kilmarnock. You would hope he'd look at himself in the mirror a bit too.

Speaking of players from that transfer window, Stokes is knocking them in in the Persian Gulf Pro League haha...

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Let Palmer go back and allow Rothwell to start more regularly as one of the three attacking midfielders. I think Rothwell has been fantastic every single time I’ve seen him play.

Pay whatever it takes to get Reed. Would be a huge loss if he went back.

Go and get Chapman - cheap as chips for impact off the bench and development.

Chill out with Brereton. Listening to a few he’s VERY highly rated. But he’s 19 and we’re not even half way through the season. Talk of ‘getting our money back’ etc is just madness. Trust the manager.

GK - Raya, Leutwiler 

RB - Nyambe, Benno

cB - Lenihan, Mulgrew, Rodwell, Downing, Williams

LB - Bell, Williams 

DM - Smallwood, Evans, Reed, Davenport, Travis (Rodwell / Benno)

AM - Dack, Arma, BB, Rothwell, Chapman. (Reed / Benno)

CF - Graham, New striker, (BB / Arma)

Totally avoids reinforcing our brittle defence, leaving the strong potential for the likes of Rodwell, Williams (CB) and Bennett to have to fill in again in defence, all of whom have proven themselves not to be up to it in makeshift positions. Centre back is a key area to bring someone in, priority 1, and both full back positions are at least considerations to bring someone in; Nyambe is a good prospect who is improving but a spell of poor form (like hes on in the last few games) is not uncommon and we need competition there, and both left backs arent really up it, especially Bell.

Maupay and Adams totally unrealistic, as is Ings. Wickham forever injured, and on Gallagher, weve got our own 7 million striker and Gallagher isnt that good, surely play Brereton over him. Gallagher is too lightweight to hold the ball up as a lone striker so hed end up on the wing like he did under Mowbray at the end of his season here. We dont need more of that type.

Chapman too injury prone and would be a sentimental purchase. Do need a winger though in an ideal world who can contribute to our goals and assists, ie not just an impact sub.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Chapman and Bauer have both been out most of the season injured. With Gladwin and Davenport permanently occupying our two treatment tables we haven't room for any more passengers.

100%. Mowbray talked about different lists of different targets repeatedly in the summer. So surely no need to be reliant on signing these 2.

34 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Chapman and Bauer have both been out most of the season injured. With Gladwin and Davenport permanently occupying our two treatment tables we haven't room for any more passengers.

Perhaps, but as two frees, I think they would be worth a shout. Maybe keep the budget for one real quality addition on the wing, at cb or upfront 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Totally avoids reinforcing our brittle defence, leaving the strong potential for the likes of Rodwell, Williams (CB) and Bennett to have to fill in again in defence, all of whom have proven themselves not to be up to it in makeshift positions. Centre back is a key area to bring someone in, priority 1, and both full back positions are at least considerations to bring someone in; Nyambe is a good prospect who is improving but a spell of poor form (like hes on in the last few games) is not uncommon and we need competition there, and both left backs arent really up it, especially Bell.

Maupay and Adams totally unrealistic, as is Ings. Wickham forever injured, and on Gallagher, weve got our own 7 million striker and Gallagher isnt that good, surely play Brereton over him. Gallagher is too lightweight to hold the ball up as a lone striker so hed end up on the wing like he did under Mowbray at the end of his season here. We dont need more of that type.

Chapman too injury prone and would be a sentimental purchase. Do need a winger though in an ideal world who can contribute to our goals and assists, ie not just an impact sub.

Other than the 4 and 3 against Preston and Wigan I haven’t seen a “brittle” defence this season. We’ve had a lot of injuries and yet it’s been relatively solid. He sees Rodwell as a CB and Downing has done well the last two games. He doesn’t need a CB and won’t sign one unless something comes up that he can’t turn away. Which is unlikely in Jan.

Always makes me laugh when people say “we can’t afford him” etc. How on earth do you know what we can and can’t afford? We never for one minute thought we had the money for BB. I feel that we are a mainline striker short regardless. I can see us loaning one and if we’re in with a shout of the playoffs by Jan then I can see us buying one. Che Adams? £5m? The Ings thing was more in relation to a new manager and people falling out of favour / being replaced. Austin? 

I mentioned Chapman because TM had in the recent meeting. Think he’s ours if we want him. I can see us letting Palmer go back and signing Chapman.

Lets see how it plays out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Other than the 4 and 3 against Preston and Wigan I haven’t seen a “brittle” defence this season. We’ve had a lot of injuries and yet it’s been relatively solid.

We concede too many soft goals - even against very poor sides. The defence is anything but "solid"

• Like 1

Just catching up on todays paper.  Ralph Hasenhuttl has said he will trim the squad before seeking signings in January. ' At first I think the squad is very big, so we have a lot of positions were we have too many players and maybe one or the other is leaving us and we bring something new.

We might be able to get Reed after all if we box clever.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just catching up on todays paper.  Ralph Hasenhuttl has said he will trim the squad before seeking signings in January. ' At first I think the squad is very big, so we have a lot of positions were we have too many players and maybe one or the other is leaving us and we bring something new.

We might be able to get Reed after all if we box clever.

Quiet game today, for all his bluster. I guess that’s good news

We DO need a centre back and a good one, so what if it displaces one of the others ?  That is how good teams are built it's about the team and club progressing not the individual.

Souness, Hughes, Dalglish wouldn't think twice about doing if they thought it would improve the team and help get better results all this we are ok because we can make do with this that or the other is counter productive in the long run IF you want to get somewhere.

Why make do if you have the means to do better !

Just now, tomphil said:

We DO need a centre back and a good one, so what if it displaces one of the others ?  That is how good teams are built it's about the team and club progressing not the individual.

Souness, Hughes, Dalglish wouldn't think twice about doing if they thought it would improve the team and help get better results all this we are ok because we can make do with this that or the other is counter productive in the long run IF you want to get somewhere.

Why make do if you have the means to do better !

We need to strengthen in several areas!

This is what makes the Brereton signing even more mystifying.  Those funds we've committed on that deal would have helped with your centre back, a left back, a central midfielder, two wide men with pace and another striker.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mercer said:

This is what makes the Brereton signing even more mystifying.  Those funds we've committed on that deal would have helped with your centre back, a left back, a central midfielder, two wide men with pace and another striker.

I get what you’re saying but 7 million on 6 players? Doubt you’d get much quality for that Merce. 7 million for 3 players sounds a bit better! Left back is a glaring weakness in our side, Bell and Williams both not good enough. Fingers crossed we finish solid enough this season and the loons back TM next summer so we can improve our weak positions. Wouldn’t expect too many incomings in Jan other than a striker on loan possibly. 

5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Aside from the Brereton thing I think he needs to step away now from back up men and squad men and start upgrading the team in certain areas with better if there is that kind of money available. It's the only way to genuinely improve the team as even when he signs bit part players with a touch of quality he uses them as just that...bit part behind his favs.

I know he's after a slow build I understand that but I also don't get the treading water mentality when there is something already in place to be built on right now.

Time for some artists placing amongst these soldiers

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Butty said:

I get what you’re saying but 7 million on 6 players? Doubt you’d get much quality for that Merce. 7 million for 3 players sounds a bit better! Left back is a glaring weakness in our side, Bell and Williams both not good enough. Fingers crossed we finish solid enough this season and the loons back TM next summer so we can improve our weak positions. Wouldn’t expect too many incomings in Jan other than a striker on loan possibly. 

Point I'm making is we seem to have committed to a £7million deal for a player who the manager seemingly doesn't think is ready to start a league game and therefore no better than what we already have !!!  I think it's madness when as you say, those funds could have been committed on say 3 players who would have made an impact and would have been better than what we already have.  I know £7million wont get us 6 quality players but merely pointing out that there are so many holes to fill!

Edited by Mercer