BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Point I'm making is we seem to have committed to a £7million deal for a player who the manager seemingly doesn't think is ready to start a league game and therefore no better than what we already have !!!  I think it's madness when as you say, those funds could have been committed on say 3 players who would have made an impact and would have been better than what we already have.  I know £7million wont get us 6 quality players but merely pointing out that there are so many holes to fill!

I agree there’s holes to fill, we were a side coming up from league one and so far you cannot argue with our league position. We’ve made a great start, we were never going to replace the full squad. It takes time and fingers crossed TM gets the backing to keep improving the squad each window and those not consistently good enough for this league gradually get fizzled out. On Brereton, his 10 minute cameos on the right wing where he clearly isn’t suited to playing aren’t going to do him any justice. It’s concerning that Mowbray is reluctant to give the lad some proper game time up top but hopefully when the time comes DG can’t do it anymore, Brereton is ready to step up. It’s a big fee for a club like us with questionable finances ??‍♂️ but I think we have too be patient with this one. We were never going to get promoted this season realistically and as it’s also unlikely we’ll go down, I guess you could argue easing him into the team is a good idea. Albeit i’d prefer him to be playing in his proper position. 

No matter how much potential he might have you can't go straight from DG when he finally seizes up in the not too distant future to Brereton, It's crazy to think that. Graham is what he is because of his vast experience and been around the block hold up play and finishing instincts.

We will need another like him from somewhere who guarantees goals and that'll cost a good fee or a juicy contract for a free from somewhere like Graham himself.

More than likely Mowbray will have to alter the system but were does that leave Dack and how good would an Armstrong/Brereton partnership be or Samuel / Brereton ?

13 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Wickham seems a realistic shout, you’d like to think we’d be in for him if he were available. Ings is probably the most ambitious name I’ve seen on here - he’s the Saints tailisman (and record signing?!) and I doubt we could afford one of Maupay or Adam’s feet let alone both. 

Ings signs permanently for Southampton next summer I believe. 

Wouldn't mind Admas tbh. 

Huddersfield are after Maupay 

Wickham could be realistic as could Madine and Gallagher. 

imo the games we’ve lost or drawn this season have generally been because of a lack of ruthlessness up front. Goals change games and there’s been plenty where we’ve been on top, missed chances and gone on to drop points. 

The constant whinging about a Brereton is boring. Speaking to a league manager last week who’s friends with Venus they fully expect BB to be the next superstar in terms of impact. But at 19 he simply can’t do what Graham does physically. 

Even IF BB was flying I’d expect us to sign more goal scorers because every successful team has them in abundance.

That doesn’t mean we’re not short in other positions. I fully expect TM to replace the likes of Smallwood, Evans, Williams and Graham in the next couple of windows. All are unable to develop well enough to stay in the team long term. I wouldn’t be surprised if all of them left.

I can also see the heat being applied on the likes of Bennett, Bell and Armstrong to improve in order to play more regularly.

I still say that this Christmas they’ll be looking at BB completion, Reed on a perm, a mainline striker on loan and Chapman cheap with Palmer returning to Chelsea. 

But I wouldn’t rule out us strengthening any department in terms of quality if the right player at the right price was available.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

imo the games we’ve lost or drawn this season have generally been because of a lack of ruthlessness up front. Goals change games and there’s been plenty where we’ve been on top, missed chances and gone on to drop points. 

The constant whinging about a Brereton is boring. Speaking to a league manager last week who’s friends with Venus they fully expect BB to be the next superstar in terms of impact. But at 19 he simply can’t do what Graham does physically. 

Even IF BB was flying I’d expect us to sign more goal scorers because every successful team has them in abundance.

That doesn’t mean we’re not short in other positions. I fully expect TM to replace the likes of Smallwood, Evans, Williams and Graham in the next couple of windows. All are unable to develop well enough to stay in the team long term. I wouldn’t be surprised if all of them left.

I can also see the heat being applied on the likes of Bennett, Bell and Armstrong to improve in order to play more regularly.

I still say that this Christmas they’ll be looking at BB completion, Reed on a perm, a mainline striker on loan and Chapman cheap with Palmer returning to Chelsea. 

But I wouldn’t rule out us strengthening any department in terms of quality if the right player at the right price was available.

All the ones you can see us replacing (which I agree we would need to long term in order to progress) have all recently signed new deals, bar Williams, haven’t they?

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldn't be looking to sign a striker but Nicko is reporting we are after 1 on loan in January. 

We've only got 1 that Mogga trusts and you think his legs have gone. Of course we need another. If 33 year old DG gets injured we would be half the team we are now, unless you've changed your mind on the type of player BB is? You said he wasn't a target man, and the way we play is totally reliant on a target man. 

The Ginge Ninj and Sam Gallagher would be two terrific signings in January. Soton are looking to offload players and they both fit the profile of talented young lads who could potentially be worth a lot more in the future. I really rate Gallagher, he's quick and strong and would be ideal competition for DG as the lone front man. Mogga played him out wide too last time he was here so he really does fit the profile?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tomphil said:

Aside from the Brereton thing I think he needs to step away now from back up men and squad men and start upgrading the team in certain areas with better if there is that kind of money available. It's the only way to genuinely improve the team as even when he signs bit part players with a touch of quality he uses them as just that...bit part behind his favs.

I know he's after a slow build I understand that but I also don't get the treading water mentality when there is something already in place to be built on right now.

Time for some artists placing amongst these soldiers

I agree with this but I think Mowbray prefers to make players earn their place and rewards work rate, as well as loyalty.

This is a good way to build a culture at a club and I do think it is a good approach. The negatives though are that it can take a long time and potentially waste money on unsuitable recruits who can’t or won’t conform - or be patient (has Palmer developed into Chelsea’s next first teamed - or sale? Not really so they will likely place him elsewhere. Has he done it for us - or earned his place? Not really). It can also mean that we have a lower quality ‘core’ team, which will likeky lead to ‘WDL’ form.

The Championship is a much stronger division than it was 10 years ago, 5 years even, and it is getting stronger every season - especially if relegated teams don’t bounce back up first or second time. It is harder and harder to compete with the top 10 based on parachute income and turnover. We don’t even have the ‘12th man effect’ because on the evidence so far Waggott doesn’t believe that filling the ground is a priority.

Without money, and/or an A list manager (with respect), time is of the essence and if we do have money to spend then Mowbray’s slowly-slowly approach may end up taking us to the same place that we went under Bowyer: an honest team but, ultimately, nearly-men.

As a minimum we need a statement of intent in January. Reed signed permanently by making an offer that Hasenhüttl can put towards bringing in his own men. I expect he will have one or two hidden gems that he knows about that others don’t. (Our recruitment only goes as far as Dover). Brereton turning into the player we were expecting post-Forest-deal. And an experienced Championship player or two added to the first XI: a partner for Mulgrew and a replacement for an aging Conway.

We remain tantalisingly close to the play-offs. We don’t expect promotion but at the same time it shouldn’t stop us aiming high or thinking big.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

All the ones you can see us replacing (which I agree we would need to long term in order to progress) have all recently signed new deals, bar Williams, haven’t they?

Smallwood’s contract was a reward for last season and some parity on wages but it was only two years. I can’t see him playing much next season and Maybe we’ll get a nominal fee next Christmas.

Evans is better than Smallwood and they prob want him to a new contract to be used as a squad player long term. Interesting that they haven’t agreed salary terms yet. You wouldn’t wanna pay big wages for a player you were going to replace...

Graham got another year which is standard.

Bennett, Arma, Bell, Lenihan, Nyambe and most of the others are under pressure to keep improving or risk being  replaced. It’s good, healthy competition.

Aside from a striker, which I think is essential, I would expect us to improve every area as and when the opportunities arise. 

Edited by Paul Mani

20 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Chapman and Bauer have both been out most of the season injured. With Gladwin and Davenport permanently occupying our two treatment tables we haven't room for any more passengers.

Agree I think Chapman has missed the boat with us now. I wouldn't think anyone would look at him until he's had a couple of years injury free. Another loan maybe. 

Lack of pace and lack of goals other than dack or Graham is our main issue. 

5 minutes ago, benhben said:

Agree I think Chapman has missed the boat with us now. I wouldn't think anyone would look at him until he's had a couple of years injury free. Another loan maybe. 

Lack of pace and lack of goals other than dack or Graham is our main issue. 

Pretty sure Chapman has been fit the last few weeks / months. Sounds like he’s been offered to us for Jan. I think we will take that option on a pragmatic deal to use him off the bench with a view to developing.

Completely agree that we need more firepower.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

You said Nicko is clueless then agreed with him.

Everyone knows he is 'defo on the radar'. 

Haha - No, I meant he’s clueless in terms of actually knowing anything. He’s a charlatan. Just scours forums for info and reports it as fact.

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldn't be looking to sign a striker but Nicko is reporting we are after 1 on loan in January. 

I would look for left winger and centre back in January. 

we don't need a centre midfielder at all

Something happens to Graham and we're snookered. We need a player to vie with Graham for the strikers shirt now, if fact we needed one in summer but we signed Armstrong and Brereton instead.

It's like Geoff Boycott used to say - ' The score looks ok now but what happens if we lose two quick wickets ? '

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Something happens to Graham and we're snookered. We need a player to vie with Graham for the strikers shirt now, if fact we needed one in summer but we signed Armstrong and Brereton instead.

It's like Geoff Boycott used to say - ' The score looks ok now but what happens if we lose two quick wickets ? '

I would play Brereton up front if Graham isnt playing. Im a fan of Brereton. 

I wouldnt sign another striker if I was in charge. I would go for left winger. Mowbray says he didnt see Brereton playing up.front all the time. So I can see why he wants another striker. 

Gallagher is the clear one we want. Mowbray knows him. Gallagher been here and will settle in quickly. 

11 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

You mentioned Gally 8 hours ago. Nixon wakes up in his pit of grief and shoves it on twitter. The tail is wagging the dog. 

I'm not a big fan of Gallagher but he would be an improvement on Brereton. He's not Danny Graham Mk 2 any more than Brereton is. He hasn't got the physicality needed for that role and he's another 6 ft 2 in player that jumps about 5ft 10 in.