BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

As usual the only real over reactions are the odd one or two who over react to others discussing the team, manager, players and expressing their opinions like any other set of fans on any other message boards !

Jeez if a 7 million pound signing who never starts and seems to serve no other purpose since he came other than being a late sub can't be debated by his own teams fans we might as well just shut it down !

This era of the gullible and easily offended is hard work for sure !

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

As usual the only real over reactions are the odd one or two who over react to others discussing the team, manager, players and expressing their opinions like any other set of fans on any other message boards !

Jeez if a 7 million pound signing who never starts and seems to serve no other purpose since he came other than being a late sub can't be debated by his own teams fans we might as well just shut it down !

This era of the gullible and easily offended is hard work for sure !

Perhaps trigger warnings should be mandatory? ❄️

Trigger.jpg

3 hours ago, Biz said:

Least if you’re quoting - don’t forget the very next line;

“Let's forget about the price now and concentrate on the player. He's a 19-year-old boy. We're not going to burden him and expect him to win games on his own.”

He's more likely to occupy the bench on his own!

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I think I’m right in saying that Brereton has been on the field more often than Tim Sherwood was in his first three months. Tim’s fee of $500,000 would’ve comfortably been a club record before Jack got involved.

Well, Kenny was saving Sherwood for the Premiership so let's hope you're being prescient here!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Dunn Fc wherever he is most certainly wasn't impressed with Whittingham in fact he called that exactly right !

At least Brereton can grow into a player instead of needing to grow a new pair of legs but there's a fine line between developing a player and stunting his development he has after all played plenty mins for Forest at this level and done ok that's partly why he was rated so high at 19.

If TM is to continue with that approach and it isn't down to the loan turning perm then the acquiring of another decent striker is even more important it'll give BB a bit of breathing space and take a bit of the spotlight off him.

Providing the other striker scores goals of course ?

As long as the team scores goals our strikers don't have to be scoring every week. Trouble is not enough players are chipping in with goals apart from Mulgrew.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Jordan Slew. 1.1 million, 7 years ago at that, hadn't even played at all until December when he came on as a sub in the 89th minute. Never played for us in the league again.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain cost 12 million rising to 15 million and didn't get a league start until January.

I think there are actually a lot of examples in the Prem. The big clubs do it all the time. Some of the lesser lights do too sometimes, especially with the money now I bet. A million isn't that much now. It has probably happened in the Championship too but I don't know enough to go looking.

However, what I'm absolutely sure hasn't happened is the same thing, in this league, for this money. I'd be amazed if it has ever happened in this league for more than say, 3 million tops, if that. What we have done is bizarrely unique and I hope Ben starts to start soon and maybe we can stop talking about it.

Err, if I were you I'd leave Jordan Slew out of this argument. Just saying.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Err, if I were you I'd leave Jordan Slew out of this argument. Just saying.

Why? He perfectly fit the bill of the challenge that was set. He was dog shite and hopefully Brereton isn't, but nothing was said about them going on to be a success. I think the original poster's point was only about allocation of resources for a 'project'.

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Opinions....either way we’re overachieving ??

I wouldn't say we're overachieving particularly. We're almost equidistant between top spot and the relegation positions and the odd game apart, the football has been extremely drab. I would say we're doing very slightly better than I expected but not by much.

If we do manage to finish roughly where we are now then I would say that that was acceptable on a one off basis as a team that has been newly promoted but I wouldn't say it was a cause for popping the champagne corks or putting out the bunting.

I'd say overachieving would be spending most of the season in and finishing in the play off slots regardless of the eventual outcome.

Where do you see us as a Club? Do you see us as a Burton Albion for whom staying in the Championship is a massive achievement or something?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I think I’m right in saying that Brereton has been on the field more often than Tim Sherwood was in his first three months. Tim’s fee of $500,000 would’ve comfortably been a club record before Jack got involved.

I think you'll find that Rovers paid Barnsley 750,000 pounds for Steve Agnew in June 1991. Sherwood signed the following year. Agnew played 4 games for us.

I find it very odd that any Rovers fan would consider mid-table in the 2nd division as overachieving when history suggests that simply isn't the case.

In isolation most people would be quite happy with a mid-table finish this season given the events of the last 2 or 3 years and of course we shouldn't feel 'entitled' to any better but as above, it isn't reason to have a party and it doesn't mean we're overachieving or punching above our weight. Since Year Zero barring a few brief aberrations we've existed at this level or above. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't keep going on and on about it. I respect Mowbray opinion and the fact he know the players better. 

I have suggest in the past try to think like Mowbray and his thoughts and process, you dismiss that and moan at me. I try to understand it from Mowbray viewpoint and the way he sees the game. 

Do better than Gallagher? like who? Look at what Gallagher and the fact he know the players, manager and the area. main factor. 

How can you blame Mowbray if the player miss a chance like Evans did yesterday? We had enough chances to win the game yesterday before they scored

I want Mowbray to play him up front not wide but clearly Mowbray has his reasons why he is playing him mainly at the start. Which he has discuss in public. 

Mowbray does the coaching, tactics and selects the team.  If he continues to pick players who either can't or don't deliver then the buck stops with him.

Yes, we did have chances and we had a striker sat on the bench, who we have supposedly committed to in a £7million deal, who might just bang a few in given chance.  To bring him on with only minutes to go is, IMV, a joke. 

47 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think you'll find that Rovers paid Barnsley 750,000 pounds for Steve Agnew in June 1991. Sherwood signed the following year. Agnew played 4 games for us.

That was Jack’s money. My point was $500,000 was a big punt then - 1/6th of the British record fee we would pay for Shearer a few months later. Sherwood had bags of potential but Cowans was anchoring the team so he had to wait his turn.

Would not be excited by the prospect of either Gallagher or Chapman returning.  Gallagher seems to be standing still in his development whilst I think Chapman could be one of those injury prone players who spends more time in the treatment room - each time his 'hammy' goes, so will some of his pace.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I wouldn't say we're overachieving particularly. We're almost equidistant between top spot and the relegation positions and the odd game apart, the football has been extremely drab. I would say we're doing very slightly better than I expected but not by much.

If we do manage to finish roughly where we are now then I would say that that was acceptable on a one off basis as a team that has been newly promoted but I wouldn't say it was a cause for popping the champagne corks or putting out the bunting.

I'd say overachieving would be spending most of the season in and finishing in the play off slots regardless of the eventual outcome.

Where do you see us as a Club? Do you see us as a Burton Albion for whom staying in the Championship is a massive achievement or something?

I see us as a low to mid table championship club in terms of gates, revenue and potential. Therefore In the context of us having just coming up, the fact that that we’re comfortably in that position can be seen as overachieving imo. We are the highest placed promoted team. Survival is usually the barometer in this situation. Next season a mid table finish is what would be expected and so wouldn’t be seen as overachieving.

If BIG clubs are the likes of Liverpool, Man United, Everton, Arsenal, Spurs etc then imo we do not fit into the bracket of medium sized. That’s my view...

AND It will take a bigger investment from Venkys than Jack Walker (bless this man) to shunt us in among the elite and keep us there. Why? Because we’re a small club with a history of overachieving. In my opinion of course.

Anyway, back to transfers ?

12 hours ago, Biz said:

Least if you’re quoting - don’t forget the very next line;

“Let's forget about the price now and concentrate on the player. He's a 19-year-old boy. We're not going to burden him and expect him to win games on his own.”

Hope his wage reflects his age/youth then and not his ability! 

7 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Hope his wage reflects his age/youth then and not his ability! 

Bit of step, hoping he is on realistic wages, from suggesting he’s not playing for financial reasons or previously referred too; “dark forces”...! 

Also - I must point out, even if Brererton turns out to be (to quote merc) a “clanger” - in the game against Boro, recently relegated from the prem - the best player on the Park was our 750k number 10. 

5/10 recruitment indeed! 

Just now, Biz said:

Bit of step, hoping he is on realistic wages, from suggesting he’s not playing for financial reasons or previously referred too; “dark forces”...! 

Also - I must point out, even if Brererton turns out to be (to quote merc) a “clanger” - in the game against Boro, recently relegated from the prem - the best player on the Park was our 750k number 10. 

5/10 recruitment indeed! 

I do think he isn’t playing for financial reasons (loan fee). If not then it’s a poor signing because that would mean he isn’t deemed good enough when we have no strikers.

From a recruitment score point if view, it sounds like you want it both ways. If £7m shouldn’t be considered a weight, then 750k shouldn’t be considered a bargain.

Each signing should be judged on merit. For every Dack or Reed there’s a Gladwin or a Hart.

28 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I do think he isn’t playing for financial reasons (loan fee). If not then it’s a poor signing because that would mean he isn’t deemed good enough when we have no strikers.

From a recruitment score point if view, it sounds like you want it both ways. If £7m shouldn’t be considered a weight, then 750k shouldn’t be considered a bargain.

Each signing should be judged on merit. For every Dack or Reed there’s a Gladwin or a Hart.

Financial reasons? Really? We are paying 7 mil plus adds ons for Brereton. 

Mowbray has made poor signings but every manager has even Sir Alex or Wenger. 

There’s no exact science but the success of the team is a true barometer of the managers ability to sign the right players. 

If he gets too many wrong then the team will fail and they will lose games of football. 

People now suggesting that BB hasn’t played for financial reasons? And yet....I’m wrong to suggest that posters are overreacting over a 19yr Old who hasn’t played too much first team football in his first three months at a club? ??‍♂️???

We are talking January window which is exceptionally difficult to pick up good players in, can be used to prevent relegation but other than a "last piece in the jigsaw" signing, never clinches promotion.

And Rovers are several pieces short of a Premier League jigsaw.

Recall of Reed (probable) and sale of Dack (possible) will leave us hugely relieved we have a 12 point buffer over 22nd place going into the second half of the season.

If I were Venky's, I'd be saying: "you have got a strategy for signings so stick to it, you have our number if something exceptional is possible."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

And yet....I’m wrong to suggest that posters are overreacting over a 19yr Old who hasn’t played too much first team football in his first three months at a club? ??‍♂️???

who in the previous one and a half seasons played in over 50 games in the league we are currently in, must not have been doing his bench presses over the summer and lost all that upper body strength :)

• Like 1

Just now, philipl said:

We are talking January window which is exceptionally difficult to pick up good players in, can be used to prevent relegation but other than a "last piece in the jigsaw" signing, never clinches promotion.

And Rovers are several pieces short of a Premier League jigsaw.

Recall of Reed (probable) and sale of Dack (possible) will leave us hugely relieved we have a 12 point buffer over 22nd place going into the second half of the season.

If I were Venky's, I'd be saying: "you have got a strategy for signings so stick to it, you have our number if something exceptional is possible."

I’d be surprised to see us sell Dack other than if there’s £25m+ on the table AND the player insisting he wants to go...even then it would be suicide as we’d struggle to replace him in Jan.

I think the comments of the newly installed Southampton manager are promising. Seems to want to trim the squad ready for his own players. I can see both Reed and Gallagher being available.

I agree about being pragmatic. If we lost those two in Jan I’d fear us getting sucked into a relegation battle too.