BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

5 minutes ago, philipl said:

We are talking January window which is exceptionally difficult to pick up good players in, can be used to prevent relegation but other than a "last piece in the jigsaw" signing, never clinches promotion.

And Rovers are several pieces short of a Premier League jigsaw.

Recall of Reed (probable) and sale of Dack (possible) will leave us hugely relieved we have a 12 point buffer over 22nd place going into the second half of the season.

If I were Venky's, I'd be saying: "you have got a strategy for signings so stick to it, you have our number if something exceptional is possible."

Why is Reed likely to be recall? Southampton new manager said his squad is too big. 

Dack? We arent going to sell in January. Not when we have a chance of playoffs  

Agree on the last part. I totally agree

Edited by chaddyrovers

2 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

who in the previous one and a half seasons played in over 50 games in the league we are currently in, must not have been doing his bench presses over the summer and lost all that upper body strength :)

53 apps in 2 seasons for forest. 10 apps for Rovers in just short of half a season. Sounds about the same ratio....fully expect him to start playing more when the manager believes he’s ready, but yeah...

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Why? Because we’re a small club with a history of overachieving. In my opinion of course.

Surely if that history goes back over more than 130 years then it ceases to be overachieving and becomes the clubs level?

Overachieving relative to history is Bournemouth in the top 7 of the Premier League. Blackburn Rovers in 11th in the 2nd division is not overachieving. Overachieving for us on the basis of the last 80 years would be a top half position in the top division, in my opinion.

Who is below us in the table at present who you would say we are overachieving in comparison to? Preston? Wigan? Rotherham? Brentford? Bolton? Bristol City? Ipswich? All clubs inferior to ours in the majority of measurements.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

That was Jack’s money. My point was $500,000 was a big punt then - 1/6th of the British record fee we would pay for Shearer a few months later. Sherwood had bags of potential but Cowans was anchoring the team so he had to wait his turn.

Poor comparison. I bet nobody has ever paid £7m for a player in the Championship who they had no intention of going straight in the 1st team,  let alone a club that has just come up from League 1 and is £140m in debt. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

53 apps in 2 seasons for forest. 10 apps for Rovers in just short of half a season. Sounds about the same ratio....fully expect him to start playing more when the manager believes he’s ready, but yeah...

Actually one and  a half seasons at Forest, made his debut on the 14th of Jan 2017 (18 games participated in / 1091 minutes , average of  60.61 minutes per game)   2017/2018 ( , 4 games not in squad / 7 unused sub / 35 games participated in,  2235 minutes average of 63.8 minutes per game)

Rovers stats : Participated in 11 games /235 minutes = 21.3 minutes per game average

Goal to time ratio at Rovers is better though :)

*League games only 

** Does not include Middlesbrough game

Edit :corrected average times

Edited by perthblue02

8 hours ago, Mercer said:

Would not be excited by the prospect of either Gallagher or Chapman returning.  Gallagher seems to be standing still in his development whilst I think Chapman could be one of those injury prone players who spends more time in the treatment room - each time his 'hammy' goes, so will some of his pace.

I'd be excited by Chapman coming in, whether or not he could stay fit might be a different matter.

Gallagher on the other hand I'm not overly impressed with at the best of times and what's he been doing this season anyway, just rotting away at Southampton?

Two things strike me, are we incapable of signing anyone other than players we already know about because they've played for us and more pertinently, is there any real point bringing anyone else in in January if the manager won't play them?

There is, but not if the manager views them once again as a bit of window dressing to fill out the squad and basically just sticks with the players who got us promoted from League one

1 hour ago, Biz said:

Bit of step, hoping he is on realistic wages, from suggesting he’s not playing for financial reasons or previously referred too; “dark forces”...! 

Also - I must point out, even if Brererton turns out to be (to quote merc) a “clanger” - in the game against Boro, recently relegated from the prem - the best player on the Park was our 750k number 10. 

5/10 recruitment indeed! 

If it wasn't for Dack Mowbray wouldn't even have got a 5 for his recruitment. 

• Like 1

if we can afford to 'spend' £7 million on a project like Brereton and have the luxury of him sitting around 'developing' more than 3 months after his arrival then I'm sure Venkys can come along with £7 million to offer Southampton for Harrison Reed on a permanent deal, and I'm confident Southampton would be persuaded to sell him for that. That piece of business would be a 'no brainer' in terms of his ability, age, contribution so far and I could see him being worth an 8 figure sum in the not too distant future.

I know it isn't quite as simple as that as we've to factor in wages and the rest but I very much doubt that sort of deal will be on the table. This is why I'm so perplexed by the Brereton deal. The money appears for someone who the manager doesn't deem to be anywhere near ready to start games for us and yet I doubt it will become available to buy someone who over the last few months has become a very important and versatile player and regular starter.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Actually one and  a half seasons at Forest, made his debut on the 14th of Jan 2017 (18 games participated in / 1091 minutes , average of  60.61 minutes per game)   2017/2018 ( , 4 games not in squad / 7 unused sub / 35 games participated in,  2235 minutes average of 65 minutes per game)

Rovers stats : Participated in 11 games /235 minutes = 21 minutes per game average

*League games only 

** Does not include Middlesbrough game

Big difference. Looks like the manager who sold him rated him more than the manager who's spending £7m on him. 

Looks like Mogga has overreacted to BB's perceived lack of upper body strength.

• Like 1

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I actually think some of the players he recruited in the summer look decent Palmer, Rothwell Brereton etc but he wont play them so if that remains the case you'd have to say it was a very poor window.

Prior to that, Dack apart, his recruitment record has been very patchy. We're still lining up in most games with the majority of the side consisting of players he inherited.

• Like 2

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I actually think some of the players he recruited in the summer look decent Palmer, Rothwell Brereton etc but he wont play them so if that remains the case you'd have to say it was a very poor window.

Prior to that, Dack apart, his recruitment record has been very patchy. We're still lining up in most games with the majority of the side consisting of players he inherited.

Why sign players he doesn't trust to play? Why spend £7m on a player he doesn't think is ready? 

Very poor recruitment considering how much he's spent and how few of those players are in the 1st team. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

Why sign players he doesn't trust to play? Why spend £7m on a player he doesn't think is ready? 

Completely agree. It's almost as though any new signings have to be foisted upon him because he doesn't like upsetting "his lads".

I thought it was strange in summer that he barely commented on the BB signing whereas if it was his own choice and we'd landed him, you would have expected him to be so full of himself it was untrue.

33 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

But is it realistic expecting him to turn 750k into a 20m every summer Boris?

The answer is a resounding NO! 

Just to add further - even GB signed Varney and Brown, he even let Judge go for absolutely nothing too.

Would we suggest GB was a 5/10 for transfers? Nope. We’d probably say it was one of his main strengths.

The Brererton deal is a potential cock up, a potential weakness or glint in the armour of a the manager. No wonder those with an axe to wield are aiming for that spot!

6 minutes ago, Biz said:

Just to add further - even GB signed Varney and Brown, he even let Judge go for absolutely nothing too.

Would we suggest GB was a 5/10 for transfers? Nope. We’d probably say it was one of his main strengths.

The Brererton deal is a potential cock up, a potential weakness or glint in the armour of a the manager. No wonder those with an axe to wield are aiming for that spot!

Bowyer (or maybe his Dad Ian) produced a number of good signings though. Not just one exceptional signing in isolation.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Completely agree. It's almost as though any new signings have to be foisted upon him because he doesn't like upsetting "his lads".

I thought it was strange in summer that he barely commented on the BB signing whereas if it was his own choice and we'd landed him, you would have expected him to be so full of himself it was untrue.

What? 

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Bowyer (or maybe his Dad Ian) produced a number of good signings though. Not just one exceptional signing in isolation.

Also had about 8 windows didn’t he? And not one of them in the third tier.

2 minutes ago, Biz said:

Wether you like it or not managers live or die by  the success or otherwise of their signings. Mowbray is no exception to that rule. Having said that no manager in the history of the game has got by without cock ups, that's why eventually they all get shown the door. I would suggest successful managers get about 75% of their signings right, average managers around 50%. Below that and you could be skating on thin ice.

Of course in the parallel universe that is Chicken Choker Land the normal rules don't always apply.

10 hours ago, JHRover said:

I find it very odd that any Rovers fan would consider mid-table in the 2nd division as overachieving when history suggests that simply isn't the case.

In isolation most people would be quite happy with a mid-table finish this season given the events of the last 2 or 3 years and of course we shouldn't feel 'entitled' to any better but as above, it isn't reason to have a party and it doesn't mean we're overachieving or punching above our weight. Since Year Zero barring a few brief aberrations we've existed at this level or above. 

If I'd have been told in July we would be playing this season with more or less last seasons team I would have delighted with the position we are in at the moment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Biz said:

Don't think it suggests people have an axe to grind with Mowbray, only that he's (allegedly) had significantly more money than most Blackburn Rovers managers and yet (allegedly) has decided to spend it all on a player he clearly doesn't think is ready to play, even when we're short in that position.

At best it is a dubious policy of long term player development when all the focus should be on the here and now. At worst it is a significant error or something more bizarre.

I'd argue that Bowyer signed Varney and Brown because he wasn't backed heavily by Venkys, and he was having to fill gaps with limited funds. In more than 2 years as manager he broke the million pounds barrier perhaps only once on Ben Marshall, so he had to recruit on the cheap and unearthed gems. People are scratching their heads because uncharacteristically Venkys appear to have sanctioned a major cash purchase and for some reason the decision made has been to go and sign someone the manager doesn't think is ready or good enough to play.

1 hour ago, perthblue02 said:

who in the previous one and a half seasons played in over 50 games in the league we are currently in, must not have been doing his bench presses over the summer and lost all that upper body strength :)

I saw something in the paper today that Lukaku is blaming his poor form on him building his upper body up.