BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Wether you like it or not managers live or die by  the success or otherwise of their signings. Mowbray is no exception to that rule. Having said that no manager in the history of the game has got by without cock ups, that's why eventually they all get shown the door. I would suggest successful managers get about 75% of their signings right, average managers around 50%. Below that and you could be skating on thin ice.

Of course in the parallel universe that is Chicken Choker Land the normal rules don't always apply.

True and I think GB signed a fair few cock ups, including players we’d previously released.

But with the small amount of money he had to spend, Duffy, Gestede, Cairney, Evans and Marshall stood out as good signings. Give Mowbray same amount of time in this division, I think he’d leave a squad better than the one he inherited. 

The Brereton situation reminds me a bit of when we signed Jimmy Quinn.  Quinn was an experienced and well-established first team player and we spent what was, by our standards at the time, a sizeable amount of money to sign him - indeed all our transfer money went on him if I remember correctly.  He then sat on the bench until mid-December unable to force his way past Chris Thompson. 

Ultimately, the manager knows how he wants to set up in games and watches players in training everyday.  Those that he believes can do the job he wants will get selected above those he feels still have short-comings.  

The fact that after twenty-one games we are in a more than comfortable position, particularly as a newly promoted club, probably justifies Mowbray's decision to keep faith with the old guard for the moment.

If we have a run of poor results over the next half dozen games then I would expect changes to be made but if we continue as we have been doing then I would expect him to stick with what's working.  

Personally, I wanted us to build a solid foundation this season and re-establish ourselves as a Championship club.  To have something solid as a club on which to build.  For me that is exactly we are doing so, whilst I might be in a minority, I have no complaints about the season as a whole or Mowbray's management.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Looking more and more likely that Chapman is on his way out of Boro. They will be bringing in Jacob Murphy on loan from Newcastle in January. 

Surely another loan spell with us until the end of the season, just to assess his fitness would be a good shout. 

I'd sign the lad on loan if he's available. He's go so much potential he's worth a gamble. I wouldn't be prepared to take him on permanently though.

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Don't think it suggests people have an axe to grind with Mowbray, only that he's (allegedly) had significantly more money than most Blackburn Rovers managers and yet (allegedly) has decided to spend it all on a player he clearly doesn't think is ready to play, even when we're short in that position.

At best it is a dubious policy of long term player development when all the focus should be on the here and now. At worst it is a significant error or something more bizarre.

I'd argue that Bowyer signed Varney and Brown because he wasn't backed heavily by Venkys, and he was having to fill gaps with limited funds. In more than 2 years as manager he broke the million pounds barrier perhaps only once on Ben Marshall, so he had to recruit on the cheap and unearthed gems. People are scratching their heads because uncharacteristically Venkys appear to have sanctioned a major cash purchase and for some reason the decision made has been to go and sign someone the manager doesn't think is ready or good enough to play.

Not necessarily as straight forward as that though is it?

We don’t know if the money was available for older players, or whether we had the wages for the Bamford’s of this division - yet the assumption is we’ve plumped all the funds in one basket.

Even if that is true, surely we give the basket more than 3 months to prove his worth? I mean I’d be more shocked if we played two forwards every week and he wasn’t even in the squad.

Those who complain the most regularly and vociferously about TM are the same using the terms “dropped a clanger” with Brererton and calling his overall transfer business 5/10. That’s not a coincidence JHR!

5 minutes ago, Biz said:

True and I think GB signed a fair few cock ups, including players we’d previously released.

But with the small amount of money he had to spend, Duffy, Gestede, Cairney, Evans and Marshall stood out as good signings. Give Mowbray same amount of time in this division, I think he’d leave a squad better than the one he inherited. 

I agree, Bowyer or whoever was advising Bowyer did very well in the transfer market.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

It didn't do Jimmy Quinn any favours but maybe his presence got the best out of Thompson but BB is hardy breathing down anybody's neck to make them terrified of losing their place.

Hopefully once the ink is dry on the permanent contract things will change a bit..........

1 minute ago, Biz said:

We don’t know if the money was available for older players, or whether we had the wages for the Bamford’s of this division - yet the assumption is we’ve plumped all the funds in one basket.

Even if that is true, surely we give the basket more than 3 months to prove his worth? I mean I’d be more shocked if we played two forwards every week and he wasn’t even in the squad.

Those who complain the most regularly and vociferously about TM are the same using the terms “dropped a clanger” with Brererton and calling his overall transfer business 5/10. That’s not a coincidence JHR!

The thing is Biz I think giving Mowbray 5/10 for his signings so far isn't unreasonable. People point at Dack and say what a great signing. Yeah, dead right, he's been brilliant for us and he's probably worth 20 times what we paid for him.

What about the rest of them though ?

Reed - good signing, Smallwood- good signing, Downing - good signing, Chapman - good signing.

Bell- in and out of the team, can't replace Williams who's really a centre back. Antonnson - not good enough.  Samuel - another one who was in and out of the team before he got injured. Armstrong - blows hot and cold, another one in and out of the team. He needs to play up front with someone like Graham to get the best out of him but we don't play that formation.

Palmer, Rothwell, both ,are in and out of the team, Mowbray seems not to trust them. Brereton, a mystery to me. Then you have Davenport, Gladwin, Hart. What's happening with those three ? Llast seasons marquee signing Whittingham - paid off to get him out of the door. Caddis- signed as a squad player but did he really need a two year contract ? Another one we had to pay off.

When you look at it in it's entirety it's not great is it ?

1 hour ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Looking more and more likely that Chapman is on his way out of Boro. They will be bringing in Jacob Murphy on loan from Newcastle in January. 

Surely another loan spell with us until the end of the season, just to assess his fitness would be a good shout. 

Not for me. The wide areas are a position that we need to develop in terms of players who can have a more immediate impact. Chapman is riddled with injury issues and is publically not a potential starter under Mowbray. We need players to come into those roles and contribute goals and assists as we are overly reliant on our central 2. Mowbrays summer recruitment has yet to bear fruit with none of his 4 attacking players making a significant impact.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Big difference. Looks like the manager who sold him rated him more than the manager who's spending £7m on him. 

Looks like Mogga has overreacted to BB's perceived lack of upper body strength.

Which is illogical anyway baring in mind his prime alternative has been to stick Dack up front!

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Why sign players he doesn't trust to play? Why spend £7m on a player he doesn't think is ready? 

Very poor recruitment considering how much he's spent and how few of those players are in the 1st team. 

100%. I struggle to empathise with those so staunchly defending our summer recruitment.

11 minutes ago, Biz said:

So should we totally withold all opinion until x amount of months have passed? We are on a messageboard and can only judge at this point in time. At which point, are there any signs that significant attacking recruitment in the summer has really developed us or enhanced us at the moment? Id suggest not.

15 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

The Brereton situation reminds me a bit of when we signed Jimmy Quinn.  Quinn was an experienced and well-established first team player and we spent what was, by our standards at the time, a sizeable amount of money to sign him - indeed all our transfer money went on him if I remember correctly.  He then sat on the bench until mid-December unable to force his way past Chris Thompson. 

Ultimately, the manager knows how he wants to set up in games and watches players in training everyday.  Those that he believes can do the job he wants will get selected above those he feels still have short-comings.  

The fact that after twenty-one games we are in a more than comfortable position, particularly as a newly promoted club, probably justifies Mowbray's decision to keep faith with the old guard for the moment.

If we have a run of poor results over the next half dozen games then I would expect changes to be made but if we continue as we have been doing then I would expect him to stick with what's working.  

Personally, I wanted us to build a solid foundation this season and re-establish ourselves as a Championship club.  To have something solid as a club on which to build.  For me that is exactly we are doing so, whilst I might be in a minority, I have no complaints about the season as a whole or Mowbray's management.

A prime argument is that Mowbrays summer recruitment has *yet* to show signs of developing us at all as an attacking force, with very little in the way of attacking contribution aside from Dack and Graham, despite plenty of money being spent.

46 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Not like you to be so complacent PB!  :)

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not for me. The wide areas are a position that we need to develop in terms of players who can have a more immediate impact. Chapman is riddled with injury issues and is publically not a potential starter under Mowbray. We need players to come into those roles and contribute goals and assists as we are overly reliant on our central 2. Mowbrays summer recruitment has yet to bear fruit with none of his 4 attacking players making a significant impact.

Which is illogical anyway baring in mind his prime alternative has been to stick Dack up front!

100%. I struggle to empathise with those so staunchly defending our summer recruitment.

So should we totally withold all opinion until x amount of months have passed? We are on a messageboard and can only judge at this point in time. At which point, are there any signs that significant attacking recruitment in the summer has really developed us or enhanced us at the moment? Id suggest not.

A prime argument is that Mowbrays summer recruitment has *yet* to show signs of developing us at all as an attacking force, with very little in the way of attacking contribution aside from Dack and Graham, despite plenty of money being spent.

We are still over achieving, so you could make the argument that the new players have increased competition and brought the best out of those who are starting. 

Brereton pretty much never playing upfront is odd though. I would start him against Newcastle for definite

• Like 1

I don't think we are overachieving but I also don't think we are under achieving. We are exactly where we should be right now.

The flirtations with play offs is something I expect this team to sustain throughout the season. I do believe we can pinch a spot there. That isn't overly ambitious. Although, if we do infact come 7th, 12th, 13th I wouldn't care. We survived the season and we did considerably better than most expected of us. There is a lot of youth in this team and players like Graham and Mulgrew won't be around forever. Perhaps then we will see Brereton. The more I think about that deal the more I believe a bit of time watching how DG plays will do him some good because right now he's not showing me anything to be excited about.

I would honestly take the permanent signing of Harrison Reed over a play off spot this season. We absolutely have to do all we can to keep him here for a few years.

• Like 1

As hard as it is to get the players in you want in January one name i forgot from summer and we seemed keen on was Wil Trapp from the MLS? Seemed like a similar type of player to Reed from all the articles going round.

If i remember rightly his contract was low and their season has finished now also... Anyone expecting us to be back in? 

(If anyone says we don’t need any more midfielders they obviously have more patience with the Smallwood/Evans love-in than i do)

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Poor comparison. I bet nobody has ever paid £7m for a player in the Championship who they had no intention of going straight in the 1st team,  let alone a club that has just come up from League 1 and is £140m in debt. 

No doubt true due to inflation in fees. But, far from having buyers’ remorse, the holders of the debt appear to be gagging to spend more in January.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

if we can afford to 'spend' £7 million on a project like Brereton and have the luxury of him sitting around 'developing' more than 3 months after his arrival then I'm sure Venkys can come along with £7 million to offer Southampton for Harrison Reed on a permanent deal, and I'm confident Southampton would be persuaded to sell him for that. That piece of business would be a 'no brainer' in terms of his ability, age, contribution so far and I could see him being worth an 8 figure sum in the not too distant future.

I know it isn't quite as simple as that as we've to factor in wages and the rest but I very much doubt that sort of deal will be on the table. This is why I'm so perplexed by the Brereton deal. The money appears for someone who the manager doesn't deem to be anywhere near ready to start games for us and yet I doubt it will become available to buy someone who over the last few months has become a very important and versatile player and regular starter.

I don't see the why everyone is wanting to rush Brereton into the team. Graham has the shirt and is clearly Mowbray 1st choice up front. Mowbray has said why Brereton has been starting games and where he see him playing at the minute. 

You have mention about signing Reed but there is number of factors you haven't considered like does he even want to move here permanently, the fee Southampton will want, Will Southampton want to keep him. Then wages and agents fees. 

I agree Reed would be a good signing for us but I wouldn't be surprise if Sheffield United or Norwich came in for in the summer if they are promoted. sadly we couldn't match the fees they could offer. 

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Completely agree. It's almost as though any new signings have to be foisted upon him because he doesn't like upsetting "his lads".

I thought it was strange in summer that he barely commented on the BB signing whereas if it was his own choice and we'd landed him, you would have expected him to be so full of himself it was untrue.

Mowbray barely commented on the Ben Brereton signing? really? Mowbray has said plenty on the deal. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

At the end of the the though, whatever about his signings, we are over achieving. 

I think Rothwell and Brereton will go onto be great signings. Maybe not this season though 

Yes we are overachieving as a club at the minute considering we are newly promoted side. if we can finish where we are now I would consider that very good season and very similar to how Sheffield United performed last season. 

Both players will go on to great signings and will continue to show this by playing more games. 

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'd be excited by Chapman coming in, whether or not he could stay fit might be a different matter.

Gallagher on the other hand I'm not overly impressed with at the best of times and what's he been doing this season anyway, just rotting away at Southampton?

Gallagher has been injured recently. Mowbray tried to sign him in the summer. I posted the info yesterday that both Nixon and Sharpe posted online

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't see the why everyone is wanting to rush Brereton into the team. Graham has the shirt and is clearly Mowbray 1st choice up front. Mowbray has said why Brereton has been starting games and where he see him playing at the minute. 

You have mention about signing Reed but there is number of factors you haven't considered like does he even want to move here permanently, the fee Southampton will want, Will Southampton want to keep him. Then wages and agents fees. 

I agree Reed would be a good signing for us but I wouldn't be surprise if Sheffield United or Norwich came in for in the summer if they are promoted. sadly we couldn't match the fees they could offer. 

Mowbray barely commented on the Ben Brereton signing? really? Mowbray has said plenty on the deal. 

Yes we are overachieving as a club at the minute considering we are newly promoted side. if we can finish where we are now I would consider that very good season and very similar to how Sheffield United performed last season. 

Both players will go on to great signings and will continue to show this by playing more games. 

Gallagher has been injured recently. Mowbray tried to sign him in the summer. I posted the info yesterday that both Nixon and Sharpe posted online

The bit about Graham is correct, I think we all accept that he is our number 1 and will be when he is fit. That doesn't explain why Brereton doesn't even get a look in when Graham is injured and we're playing all sorts of daft systems to avoid starting Brereton, nor why Brereton doesn't play in his favoured position when he does get his 15-20 minutes.

I have considered the fee Southampton might want for Reed. I've said I believe £7 million would be enough to get him. He isn't getting a look in there and has been loaned out to the Championship for the last 2 years. Wages *could* be an issue as I've also said but again I wouldn't expect him to be on mega bucks given his background.

The key is to get in there before the summer when others might be interested. Norwich had him last season and didn't take him back this so would they really spend a lot to sign him if promoted?

You mention 'sadly' we couldn't match the fees Norwich/Sheffield United could offer. I'll come back to the Brereton deal. If we believe the £7 million figure to be accurate then by my reckoning that is more money spent by us on one player than anyone in the Championship last summer, with the exceptions of Stoke with Afobe and Ince, Middlesbrough with Aden Flint and George Saville, Leeds with Bamford and Forest with Carvalho.

So only 4 clubs paid more out on a single player than we did last summer (if £7 million is accurate which it seems Mowbray has confirmed). 2 of those are receiving parachute cash.

So if the figure is correct we are now among the big spenders for this league and certainly cannot bemoan a lack of cash or being unable to match fees paid by others. At net £10 million for the summer we blew the likes of Sheffield United and Norwich out of the water, along with many others.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I find your first paragraph slightly hypocritical considering thatt I would hazard a guess that at least half of the team lineups that you have recommended in the last couple of months have had Brereton in them.

@JHRover is bang on the money with his post. Firstly in terms of the money we have spent, which belittles the "newly promoted" inferiority complex that people mention. And also, the problem many have, including one you have aired many times, is HOW Brereton is used, positionally, not that he should be first choice in that role.

Just because Mowbray explains something doesnt mean thats 100% right, logical or to be agreed with.

44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't see the why everyone is wanting to rush Brereton into the team

For Rovers, £7m is a very large sum to pay for someone who is clearly not good enough at present to play in the first team.  We're not Man City or Liverpool who collect young players in the hope that one of them might turn into a good player, we need players now who can make a difference. The Brereton signing as many fans see it makes no sense at all 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

For Rovers, £7m is a very large sum to pay for someone who is clearly not good enough at present to play in the first team.  We're not Man City or Liverpool who collect young players in the hope that one of them might turn into a good player, we need players now who can make a difference. The Brereton signing as many fans see it makes no sense at all 

He is playing in the first team and has looked decent in cameos. To say he is not good enough is wide of the mark. Granted he hasn't started upfront enough. Plus Graham is doing really well and we are over achieving position wise. Fans these days have no patience

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He is playing in the first team and has looked decent in cameos. To say he is not good enough is wide of the mark. Granted he hasn't started upfront enough. Plus Graham is doing really well and we are over achieving position wise. Fans these days have no patience

For £7m fans were entitled to expect more than a bench warmer. 

• Like 3

Just now, jim mk2 said:

For £7m fans were entitled to expect more than a bench warmer. 

At the end of the day fans are entitled to their opinion, how the club and manager spends £7 million is at their discretion. 

I would like to see Brereton get more game time, but we are doing  well and he won't be dislodging Graham as first choice this season, nor should he. if he signs a 3-4 year deal in January, he will have plenty of time to show his value. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

At the end of the day fans are entitled to their opinion, how the club and manager spends £7 million is at their discretion. 

I would like to see Brereton get more game time, but we are doing  well and he won't be dislodging Graham as first choice this season, nor should he. if he signs a 3-4 year deal in January, he will have plenty of time to show his value. 

For £7m he should not only be taking Graham's place from day one he should also be looking a half decent player and scoring goals. At the moment he wouldn't get a game down at Pleasington. 

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

For £7m he should not only be taking Graham's place from day one he should also be looking a half decent player and scoring goals. At the moment he wouldn't get a game down at Pleasington

He is getting games for our first team. Again, he is currently on loan, he won't be joining for £7 million(or whatever the fee actually is) until January. The price tag is irrelevant as to what you think he should or should not be doing. Players take time to settle at clubs. Mowbray is taking it slowly with Brereton and as we are currently over achieving in the league, that's fine with me. United signed Fred for £60 million and Liverpool Keita for roughly the same. Neither are setting the world alight. As I said, it takes time for players to settle.  

51 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The bit about Graham is correct, I think we all accept that he is our number 1 and will be when he is fit. That doesn't explain why Brereton doesn't even get a look in when Graham is injured and we're playing all sorts of daft systems to avoid starting Brereton, nor why Brereton doesn't play in his favoured position when he does get his 15-20 minutes.

I have considered the fee Southampton might want for Reed. I've said I believe £7 million would be enough to get him. He isn't getting a look in there and has been loaned out to the Championship for the last 2 years. Wages *could* be an issue as I've also said but again I wouldn't expect him to be on mega bucks given his background.

The key is to get in there before the summer when others might be interested. Norwich had him last season and didn't take him back this so would they really spend a lot to sign him if promoted?

You mention 'sadly' we couldn't match the fees Norwich/Sheffield United could offer. I'll come back to the Brereton deal. If we believe the £7 million figure to be accurate then by my reckoning that is more money spent by us on one player than anyone in the Championship last summer, with the exceptions of Stoke with Afobe and Ince, Middlesbrough with Aden Flint and George Saville, Leeds with Bamford and Forest with Carvalho.

So only 4 clubs paid more out on a single player than we did last summer (if £7 million is accurate which it seems Mowbray has confirmed). 2 of those are receiving parachute cash.

So if the figure is correct we are now among the big spenders for this league and certainly cannot bemoan a lack of cash or being unable to match fees paid by others. At net £10 million for the summer we blew the likes of Sheffield United and Norwich out of the water, along with many others.

Would you have took Graham off to play Brereton up front on Saturday? 

what daft systems? Chelsea and Man City both used that system at the weekend? 

well we don't know what Reed is on but Gallagher is on 24k a week. that's above our wage structure. 

isn't Saville on loan at Boro atm? 

Why do you keep comparing us to other clubs? every club run their club differently and rightly so. You see obsess with comparing us to other teams? 

we don't pay big wages tho as Mowbray and Waggott both said in the past? I bet our highest wage earner isn't on 20k a week IMO. 

42 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I find your first paragraph slightly hypocritical considering thatt I would hazard a guess that at least half of the team lineups that you have recommended in the last couple of months have had Brereton in them.

@JHRover is bang on the money with his post. Firstly in terms of the money we have spent, which belittles the "newly promoted" inferiority complex that people mention. And also, the problem many have, including one you have aired many times, is HOW Brereton is used, positionally, not that he should be first choice in that role.

Just because Mowbray explains something doesnt mean thats 100% right, logical or to be agreed with.

I would play Brereton BUT I understand Mowbray point of view and where he is coming from. The problem is most of you just ignore his views and used the lanuague you have used in your post above. Mowbray and his staff see these players every day in training. We don't. all we see is on the pitch. 

it completely doesn't belittles my point of being a newly promoted side as I seen the Brereton buy as an investment and look at the deal as a long term project. 

Yes I don't like him wide but he is going to have to play wide if Graham and Dack are still on the pitch and we keep the same formation 4-2-3-1 unless we drop Dack deeper or wider which you would be dead against 

Mowbray explained everything and has been open than ever with fans. Bet some other former managers wouldn't be. Maybe Mowbray just turn around and say I'm the expert so leave me to it

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Would you have took Graham off to play Brereton up front on Saturday? 

what daft systems? Chelsea and Man City both used that system at the weekend? 

well we don't know what Reed is on but Gallagher is on 24k a week. that's above our wage structure. 

isn't Saville on loan at Boro atm? 

Why do you keep comparing us to other clubs? every club run their club differently and rightly so. You see obsess with comparing us to other teams? 

we don't pay big wages tho as Mowbray and Waggott both said in the past? I bet our highest wage earner isn't on 20k a week IMO. 

I would play Brereton BUT I understand Mowbray point of view and where he is coming from. The problem is most of you just ignore his views and used the lanuague you have used in your post above. Mowbray and his staff see these players every day in training. We don't. all we see is on the pitch. 

it completely doesn't belittles my point of being a newly promoted side as I seen the Brereton buy as an investment and look at the deal as a long term project. 

Yes I don't like him wide but he is going to have to play wide if Graham and Dack are still on the pitch and we keep the same formation 4-2-3-1 unless we drop Dack deeper or wider which you would be dead against 

Mowbray explained everything and has been open than ever with fans. Bet some other former managers wouldn't be. Maybe Mowbray just turn around and say I'm the expert so leave me to it

I'm 'obsessed' yet it was you who compared us to Sheffield United and Norwich by saying that they were better placed and more likely to get Reed on a permanent than we are.

Daft systems like playing midfielders up front when Graham is injured rather than using the natural CF we paid huge money for.

If Brereton is indeed a 'long term project' then what is the ultimate purpose of the project?

Edited by JHRover