BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Financial reasons? Really? We are paying 7 mil plus adds ons for Brereton. 

Mowbray has made poor signings but every manager has even Sir Alex or Wenger. 

Plus add ons you say? This is going to be one hell of an expensive player. Amazing that he isn’t good enough to play then. If you are right then we should and could have spent that money far better then.

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Rangers are tracking Gillingham striker Tom Eaves ahead of the January transfer window, Sky Sports News understands.

He is currently the top-scorer in Sky Bet League One with 13 goals and Championship clubs Preston and Blackburn are also understood to be keen on the 26-year-old.

Fits the profile and age. Would hit the ground running. ??

• Backroom

This season aside his wiki stats don't make great reading for a striker. 4 goals in 40 apps for Yeovil...

That said we'll probably play him on the wing.

If Eaves is the calibre of signing we're looking at (26 year old lower league journeyman) then I think we can forget pushing for promotion. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Would you have took Graham off to play Brereton up front on Saturday? 

what daft systems? Chelsea and Man City both used that system at the weekend? 

well we don't know what Reed is on but Gallagher is on 24k a week. that's above our wage structure. 

isn't Saville on loan at Boro atm? 

Why do you keep comparing us to other clubs? every club run their club differently and rightly so. You see obsess with comparing us to other teams? 

we don't pay big wages tho as Mowbray and Waggott both said in the past? I bet our highest wage earner isn't on 20k a week IMO. 

I would play Brereton BUT I understand Mowbray point of view and where he is coming from. The problem is most of you just ignore his views and used the lanuague you have used in your post above. Mowbray and his staff see these players every day in training. We don't. all we see is on the pitch. 

it completely doesn't belittles my point of being a newly promoted side as I seen the Brereton buy as an investment and look at the deal as a long term project. 

Yes I don't like him wide but he is going to have to play wide if Graham and Dack are still on the pitch and we keep the same formation 4-2-3-1 unless we drop Dack deeper or wider which you would be dead against 

Mowbray explained everything and has been open than ever with fans. Bet some other former managers wouldn't be. Maybe Mowbray just turn around and say I'm the expert so leave me to it

You dont know Gallagher is on 24k.

You take Mowbrays word as gospel even if your opinion is the total opposite. You then shoot those down who share your initial view and defend Mowbray. Yes, he sees him more on the training ground and yes he has more football management credentials than you or I. But if thats your attitude then an internet messageboard is not the place for you.

You dont acknowledge that many are of the view that we are not in a position to be signing players SOLELY for the future. That does not come down to anything on the training ground. Even though you yourself want Brereton to be starting games as a striker.

My plan for Brereton would be as a striker, initially second choice behind Graham, playing whenever Graham is unfit or lacking in form, or as a strong alternative.

May I ask, if your main defence of the Brereton situation is that we cant fit him Graham and Dack in together. Which has a degree of logic to it. Why are we so desperate for us to sign another striker? That problem will double.

Here are a few articles of Coyle being open with fans. Took 1 minute to find a few random articles. Mowbrays openness is not a unique trait, its a byproduct of an era in which interviews are done numerous times a week. Didnt make a difference. He was still useless.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/14804095.Owen_Coyle_believes_Ryan_Nyambe_is_one_of_a_number_of_young_players_who_have_a_chance_at_Blackburn_Rovers/

Coyle on our academy players.

https://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/sport/14624311.Owen_Coyle__Newcastle_United_not_the_only_club_interested_in_signing_Blackburn_Rovers_captain_Grant_Hanley/

Coyle on bids for our best player.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/14626876.hes-blackburn-rovers-through-and-through-jason-lowe-can-be-our-leader-if-grant-hanley-leaves-insists-I have been stopped from posting this by moderators.-coyle/

Coyle on his debatable choice of captain!

Did you empathise with Coyle solely because he explained himself? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

The bit about Graham is correct, I think we all accept that he is our number 1 and will be when he is fit. That doesn't explain why Brereton doesn't even get a look in when Graham is injured and we're playing all sorts of daft systems to avoid starting Brereton, nor why Brereton doesn't play in his favoured position when he does get his 15-20 minutes.

I have considered the fee Southampton might want for Reed. I've said I believe £7 million would be enough to get him. He isn't getting a look in there and has been loaned out to the Championship for the last 2 years. Wages *could* be an issue as I've also said but again I wouldn't expect him to be on mega bucks given his background.

The key is to get in there before the summer when others might be interested. Norwich had him last season and didn't take him back this so would they really spend a lot to sign him if promoted?

You mention 'sadly' we couldn't match the fees Norwich/Sheffield United could offer. I'll come back to the Brereton deal. If we believe the £7 million figure to be accurate then by my reckoning that is more money spent by us on one player than anyone in the Championship last summer, with the exceptions of Stoke with Afobe and Ince, Middlesbrough with Aden Flint and George Saville, Leeds with Bamford and Forest with Carvalho.

So only 4 clubs paid more out on a single player than we did last summer (if £7 million is accurate which it seems Mowbray has confirmed). 2 of those are receiving parachute cash.

So if the figure is correct we are now among the big spenders for this league and certainly cannot bemoan a lack of cash or being unable to match fees paid by others. At net £10 million for the summer we blew the likes of Sheffield United and Norwich out of the water, along with many others.

Venky's could probably find the transfer money and wages for Reed down the back of the sofa if they really wanted. The problem though is that if we continue to push the boat out then at the end of 3 years when we have lost more than 39 m over that period, the day of reckoning will come and we'll fall foul of FFP once again.

This is why if we spend big money on Brereton or anyone else they need to be capable of going straight into the first team and making an immediate impact despite all the nonsense being spoken about him being "one for the future" etc.  That applies equally whether the primary motive is to try and achieve promotion asap or to bring in a succession of young players we can flog for a profit to boost revenue and avoid falling foul of FFP.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

So only 4 clubs paid more out on a single player than we did last summer (if £7 million is accurate which it seems Mowbray has confirmed). 2 of those are receiving parachute cash.

So if the figure is correct we are now among the big spenders for this league and certainly cannot bemoan a lack of cash or being unable to match fees paid by others. At net £10 million for the summer we blew the likes of Sheffield United and Norwich out of the water, along with many others.

Extremely disingenuous to go on about net transfer cost without including estimated wage costs.

For example - the article I read about Paddy Bamford at leeds suggested he’s on 30+k a week. I’d estimate that even the combined wage of  A.A. and B.B. falls below that figure, so suggesting we “blew” Norwich and co “out of the water” when they are signing loans and covering players on 50k a week like Rhodes, is quite frankly- Wrong!

Edited by Biz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The thing is Biz I think giving Mowbray 5/10 for his signings so far isn't unreasonable. People point at Dack and say what a great signing. Yeah, dead right, he's been brilliant for us and he's probably worth 20 times what we paid for him.

What about the rest of them though ?

Reed - good signing, Smallwood- good signing, Downing - good signing, Chapman - good signing.

Bell- in and out of the team, can't replace Williams who's really a centre back. Antonnson - not good enough.  Samuel - another one who was in and out of the team before he got injured. Armstrong - blows hot and cold, another one in and out of the team. He needs to play up front with someone like Graham to get the best out of him but we don't play that formation.

Palmer, Rothwell, both ,are in and out of the team, Mowbray seems not to trust them. Brereton, a mystery to me. Then you have Davenport, Gladwin, Hart. What's happening with those three ? Llast seasons marquee signing Whittingham - paid off to get him out of the door. Caddis- signed as a squad player but did he really need a two year contract ? Another one we had to pay off.

When you look at it in it's entirety it's not great is it ?

I dunno.. I mean is it that bad? After considering most of the business we are seeing as poor - the gladwins, The harts - all done in the third tier. All free signings, all after a mass exodus of playing staff.

For me it’s once again the mixing up of expectation/aspiration. Ofcourse, it would be nice to see Bell improve, a Big centre half and a wide player recruited but that is more the “aspiration” as opposed to what I’d simply “expect”

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We spent a bit last summer, which is great, but if you look at the last 2-3 years there is no way we blew Norwich or Sheffield United out of anything! Same with pretty much every club ahead or in and around us 

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/a-club-by-club-breakdown-of-wages-in-the-premier-league-championship/

Bit out of date but we went down to league one with the 14th highest wage bill in the league with 22m.

Does anyone believe we are spending more this season on wages? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stuart said:

I do think he isn’t playing for financial reasons (loan fee). If not then it’s a poor signing because that would mean he isn’t deemed good enough when we have no strikers.

From a recruitment score point if view, it sounds like you want it both ways. If £7m shouldn’t be considered a weight, then 750k shouldn’t be considered a bargain.

Each signing should be judged on merit. For every Dack or Reed there’s a Gladwin or a Hart.

Seriously Joe @Biz, if you are going to keep clicking the laugh button on opinions you disagree with - like a child would - I’m going to start treating you like one and simply stop interacting with you.

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Seriously Joe @Biz, if you are going to keep clicking the laugh button on opinions you disagree with - like a child would - I’m going to start treating you like one and simply stop interacting with you.

Apologies, I’ll reply instead;

The idea we are limiting his appearances for financial reasons is laughable. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

I personally don't think Mowbray's transfer record is particularly good. What he's done well is keep our better players here whilst blooding young prospects like Raya, Nyambe and Lenihan. 

Dack was obviously a blinding piece of business, but I can't think of any other players he's brought in that have really impressed, other than Reed who has been very good so far despite being shunted out of position. Smallwood had a decent first half of the season in L1. Armstrong had a nice purple patch when he first arrived (again in L1). The rest have either been able to 'do a job' (often out of position) or loaned out/rarely played for us - Hart, Caddis, Whittingham, Gladwin, Brereton... 

I'm not that confident in giving Mowbray a lot of money, in all honesty. We're at a point where Downing is being glorified for bring competent at his role, mainly because we appear to have spent £7m on a 'long term prospect' as opposed to strengthening areas that need additions now. 

I'm not necessarily asking for another Dack, but a player on the level of Evans, Conway or Nyambe is surely achievable?

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You dont know Gallagher is on 24k.

You take Mowbrays word as gospel even if your opinion is the total opposite. You then shoot those down who share your initial view and defend Mowbray. Yes, he sees him more on the training ground and yes he has more football management credentials than you or I. But if thats your attitude then an internet messageboard is not the place for you.

You dont acknowledge that many are of the view that we are not in a position to be signing players SOLELY for the future. That does not come down to anything on the training ground. Even though you yourself want Brereton to be starting games as a striker.

My plan for Brereton would be as a striker, initially second choice behind Graham, playing whenever Graham is unfit or lacking in form, or as a strong alternative.

May I ask, if your main defence of the Brereton situation is that we cant fit him Graham and Dack in together. Which has a degree of logic to it. Why are we so desperate for us to sign another striker? That problem will double.

Here are a few articles of Coyle being open with fans. Took 1 minute to find a few random articles. Mowbrays openness is not a unique trait, its a byproduct of an era in which interviews are done numerous times a week. Didnt make a difference. He was still useless.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/14804095.Owen_Coyle_believes_Ryan_Nyambe_is_one_of_a_number_of_young_players_who_have_a_chance_at_Blackburn_Rovers/

Coyle on our academy players.

https://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/sport/14624311.Owen_Coyle__Newcastle_United_not_the_only_club_interested_in_signing_Blackburn_Rovers_captain_Grant_Hanley/

Coyle on bids for our best player.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/14626876.hes-blackburn-rovers-through-and-through-jason-lowe-can-be-our-leader-if-grant-hanley-leaves-insists-I have been stopped from posting this by moderators.-coyle/

Coyle on his debatable choice of captain!

Did you empathise with Coyle solely because he explained himself? 

I did a 10 seconds google search on Sam Gallagher's wages. Found 3 or 4 websites quoting 24k a week wages. Here 1 link for you below. Maybe research what Ive said before jumping the gun yet again. 

I respect and understand what Mowbray has said about Brereton even tho I disagree on certain points. 

We only have 2 strikers for me. Graham and Brereton. I class Armstrong as winger/wide forward.

Brereton has to wide if Graham and Dack are on the pitch. 

You mention Coyle is just embarrassing and shows a lack of class. I never want to read anything he said ever again. Please to quote Coyle to me again otherwise you will BE ignore permanently. Your choice!!!

Report: Southampton's Sam Gallagher wanted by Sheffield United and Blackburn

Just now, Biz said:

If we trust Mowbray then the idea that we would rather play no strikers than play our marquee (third highest ever?) signing, a Championship regular at a top half club, for no reason, is equally laughable.

Or we have made a very poorly judged signing.

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

If we trust Mowbray then the idea that we would rather play no strikers than play our marquee (third highest ever?) signing, a Championship regular at a top half club, for no reason, is equally laughable.

Or we have made a very poorly judged signing.

See the problem is you can’t trust Mowbray, and suggest his reason for starting KP and Dack upfront in one game was “for no reason”. He had his reasons, right or wrong.

Im not arrogant enough to think I know better, thus I can quite happily say “I don’t get that” without needing some far flung or nefarious rationale. 

Id also suggest that any 19 or 20 year old we sign is allowed time to bed into a new club before he is seen as a “poorly judged” acquisition. The reason for that, much like signing some players from the continent - they may need time to develop roots, routines and blend with the social group.

Whilst I can understand many would expect an “expensive” signing to have more impact immediately, I don’t think the overreaction to this is warranted in the slightest.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biz said:

I would have said it's far from laughable. What is laughable is that we've agreed to pay £7m for a player who although fit has yet to start a League game.

The only 2 plausible explanations are 

1) We have to pay a hefty premium every time he starts a game prior to the move being made permanent.

or

2) He wasn't TM's choice and TM either doesn't fancy him or is deliberately omitting him to make a point that he's the boss.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Biz said:

See the problem is you can’t trust Mowbray, and suggest his reason for starting KP and Dack upfront in one game was “for no reason”. He had his reasons, right or wrong.

Im not arrogant enough to think I know better, thus I can quite happily say “I don’t get that” without needing some far flung or nefarious rationale. 

Id also suggest that any 19 or 20 year old we sign is allowed time to bed into a new club before he is seen as a “poorly judged” acquisition. The reason for that, much like signing some players from the continent - they may need time to develop roots, routines and blend with the social group.

Whilst I can understand many would expect an “expensive” signing to have more impact immediately, I don’t think the overreaction to this is warranted in the slightest.

I dont subscribe to any of the conspiracy theories about financial reasons etc.

I just dont get the quote I have put in bold. I dont see why it is arrogance to give your own opinion.

One of his primary reasons has been that Brereton lacks the physique to play as a centre forward. The fact that he made his name as a striker at this level, and also that the 2 players he chose ahead of Brereton are far slighter in build, means that it is fair to question the logic of that statement, without that being considered arrogant or like we know more than a professional football manager.

18 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I would have said it's far from laughable. What is laughable is that we've agreed to pay £7m for a player who although fit has yet to start a League game.

The only 2 plausible explanations are 

1) We have to pay a hefty premium every time he starts a game prior to the move being made permanent.

or

2) He wasn't TM's choice and TM either doesn't fancy him or is deliberately omitting him to make a point that he's the boss.

Only plausible explanations? I accept you may see with only two options, so black and white but I do not.

There is plenty of things I’d suggest impact his  usage on the field that don’t include his price or a pay by you play loan deal....

Just a selection since I’m waiting for a lift and the bar stool is late;

1. The manager himself just after signing said “Let's forget about the price now and concentrate on the player. He's a 19-year-old boy.” 

2. We play one centreforward 

3. We have Armstrong who is arguably deserved of a priority due to last season (like a few others, another comment from manager about giving them a chance is available)

4. Brererton has spent 99% of his entire career at one club, certain style, people, training, team mates, etc - not all players acclimatise instantly.

5. We attempted to sign other forwards prior to B.B. and thus one would predict wasn’t first choice or expected to be as good instantly.

Plenty of others related to style of play, attitude, fitness, Danny Graham’s impact, Kasey Palmer being used as a number 10 - arguably his best position but can you drop Dack? Etc etc 

The price may be seen as more as a long term investment, and like AA, never played premier league football = softer wages = more to pay on transfer cost. Whilst this is a financial aspect - I believe it might be worth considering that 7m (even if it does get to that) in 2018, regardless of past records - is paltry to adding the monthly cost that teams such as Forest, added to their bills this previous summer, through wages.

7m upfront from us (unlikely) would only pay for 5 new players on 30k a week in wages for one season!

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont subscribe to any of the conspiracy theories about financial reasons etc.

I just dont get the quote I have put in bold. I dont see why it is arrogance to give your own opinion.

One of his primary reasons has been that Brereton lacks the physique to play as a centre forward. The fact that he made his name as a striker at this level, and also that the 2 players he chose ahead of Brereton are far slighter in build, means that it is fair to question the logic of that statement, without that being considered arrogant or like we know more than a professional football manager.

Arrogance to suggest no plausible reason in your own mind means = it must be implausible.

As I said earlier - the Brererton deal offers a potential “axe to grind” and there is absolutely no coincidence those most willing to wield it have been 5/10 on Mowbray for some time.

• Like 1